January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Didn't see yesterday's game but , as far as I know , our defence was left exposed a few times . I think it is a flaw in the balance of the squad . Would be exposed more next season . Though I suspect it will be fixed by then

Not overly exposed, pars didn't pass through our midfield often

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

14 minutes ago, Glencoejambo said:

How on earth is Cosgrove worth £2m??

Aberdeen have been a selling club for quite a few years now!

I think Hearts are doing better work in the signing department, let's hope we get a couple more in!

By signing players with no sell-on value? aye, better, right enough.

1 minute ago, brux said:

Nothing to pass through .

I think it is an obvious flaw in the team . You don't

7 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Tbf I think there has been a marked change in the last two games. Previous games I think the midfield and defence have not covered themselves in glory. Swapping out Berra and having a settled midfield seems to be helping.

Completely agree, berra is not mobile at all and his control is suspect so teams were closing him down fast, that then dragged team mates in and left holes in other areas, for instance midfield. I don't think you can blame the midfield individually for not supporting the defence, they need to work together. Popescu hitting better form has helped too.

3 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Nothing to pass through .

I think it is an obvious flaw in the team . You don't

It's not perfect, but I think we have the players at the club now to get us promoted and fix the flaw in July.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
34 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Not heard anything about him recently mate,Mentioned before we want him but it will be a very difficult deal, I would be pleasantly surprised if it was him this window that’s for sure 

👍

24 minutes ago, Glencoejambo said:

I think Hearts are doing better work in the signing department, let's hope we get a couple more in!

Cosgrove has scored 5 goals in the last year and 3 have been pens

Daylight robbery getting 2 million for him if you ask me 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, theshed said:

yep. He’s absolutely mediocre. 

Berra than you
13 minutes ago, brux said:

Completely agree, berra is not mobile at all and his control is suspect so teams were closing him down fast, that then dragged team mates in and left holes in other areas, for instance midfield. I don't think you can blame the midfield individually for not supporting the defence, they need to work together. Popescu hitting better form has helped too.

Yeah I agree it's not individuals and it's the collective that has been an issue. Hopefully these issues are begining to sort themselves

8 minutes ago, brux said:

It's not perfect, but I think we have the players at the club now to get us promoted and fix the flaw in July.

Can't disagree with that though I do think we are , mostly , building our squad for next season .

Perfect signing , for me , would be Campbell . No idea if we are in contention but I've admired this guy for a long time . I'm sure people who know a lot more than me will see what he brings to a team

11 minutes ago, theshed said:

Probably awarded after 3 dives by the man himself

Tynecastlesmychurch
13 minutes ago, theshed said:

Tbf they won’t actually get 2 million as they owe 20% of the fee to the club they got him from. Apologies can’t remember the name of the club.

Edited by Tynecastlesmychurch

14 minutes ago, maroon said:

Could Jason Cummings do a job? Rumours his visa isn’t working and wasn’t let into dundee. Would deffo take him up here 

? He played for Dundee yesterday.

19 minutes ago, brux said:

I agree with you. Dunfermline had 3 good chances but this is pretty normal especially as they aren't a bad side. The Raith game was a freak with them having no shots at all.

Our midfield weren't great first half yesterday but I thought Halliday (who I'm not a big fan of) did his role well second half and we were in total control after half time.

Let just wait and see. 

I dont get excited about these transfer windows. 

Part of me believes they were introduced, so that the likes of SkySports can have a day where they get all excited, Jim White jizzes his kegs, if truth be told it's all an anti climax.

14 minutes ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Tbf they won’t actually get 2 million as they owe 20% of the fee to the club they got him from. Apologies can’t remember the name of the club.

It is Carlisle. They got him for about £30k. He was garbage at first, then suddenly started playing well and scoring goals. He got injured and has been very poor since. I doubt he'll score loads for Birmingham (unless they get penalties every game)

52 minutes ago, Glencoejambo said:

Do you really think so?   IMO it's a bit like the curate's egg.

Leaving Ginnelly aside because of injury, I would say Gordon and Kingsley have been good signings with Popescu blowing a bit hot and cold

BUT

Halliday, Roberts and Frear leave a lot to be desired.

Cosgrove is worth £2m because that is what a club is willing to pay.

41 minutes ago, maroon said:

Could Jason Cummings do a job? Rumours his visa isn’t working and wasn’t let into dundee. Would deffo take him up here 

:what:

Just now, john thomas said:

Sorry defence is constantly exposed because of the midfield .

As I said before we need a Haring type [fit Haring preferably] or , at the very least a decent hammer thrower

It's probably a bit of both but we are not dominant in the air with Halkett and Popescu. You have Halliday, Irving, Haring that can play the dm role and even Damour if he ever gets a game considering he's still being paid. Then there's the young lad that can come in. Halkett would even be better in a dm role seeing as he likes to link midfield to front/wide, and handy for a goal or two. If we were lucky enough to have got O'Donnell in you can even play Smith in there. They got rid of Lee who was probably one of our best assists for the front players so surely someone can fill that gap out of the squad we've got without having to use Naismith who's fairly ineffective dropping back. Walker should be in the Lee position for link-ups and Naismith should be in a front two. Back to df and i'd love to know what's going on with Damour. The guy is on decent money and should be in there with a chance along with Haring and Halliday. 

.........................Gordon

Smith, Popescu, "newguy", Kingsley

...................Haring/Halliday

.......Walker, Irving, Mackay-Steven

................Gnanduillet, Boyce

Subs from: Haring/Halliday, Naismith, Ginelly, 

...................Halkett + Goalie.

Does it not seem a bit late to be leaving this all to the very last minute?

We're after a CB, winger now and a midfielder for some reason.

I seriously hope we've been lining something up in quiet for a while and it isn't going to be a last chance dash for Frear and Roberts level shite.

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

It's probably a bit of both but we are not dominant in the air with Halkett and Popescu. You have Halliday, Irving, Haring that can play the dm role and even Damour if he ever gets a game considering he's still being paid. Then there's the young lad that can come in. Halkett would even be better in a dm role seeing as he likes to link midfield to front/wide, and handy for a goal or two. If we were lucky enough to have got O'Donnell in you can even play Smith in there. They got rid of Lee who was probably one of our best assists for the front players so surely someone can fill that gap out of the squad we've got without having to use Naismith who's fairly ineffective dropping back. Walker should be in the Lee position for link-ups and Naismith should be in a front two. Back to df and i'd love to know what's going on with Damour. The guy is on decent money and should be in there with a chance along with Haring and Halliday. 

Yes , despite the hindsight experts here , Damour was [on paper] a great signing for us . No idea what went wrong but its done now .

Does seem to prove that we need a player of that type . More correctly a player to complete the midfield .

Broken record , I know , Campbell would be perfect

5 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I seriously hope we've been lining something up in quiet for a while and it isn't going to be a last chance dash for Frear and Roberts level shite.

No mention of a Centre Back in this EEN article in this window.

With Ginnelly out, we need to try and recruit in the wide area. So we’re looking for another winger, plus a central midfielder, and someone to come in and compete with Michael Smith at right-back.

11 minutes ago, Sertse said:

That’s the way of winter transfer windows. I think our current squad is good enough to win the Championship. Any players we sign ( apart from loans ) should be good enough to be part of a premiership team. 

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s the way of winter transfer windows. I think our current squad is good enough to win the Championship. Any players we sign ( apart from loans ) should be good enough to be part of a premiership team. 

Unless of course we maybe get someone in on loan as you say. But realistically any player we have signed this season should be Premiership standard.

Edited by wavydavy

Ford Prentice
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Agree - also if we get all our signings sorted out this window there'll be nothing to talk/moan about in the Summer.

11 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Most January signings involve dealing with other clubs, and that usually involves waiting until they've lined up a replacement or reduced their demands.

In the last January window under Neilson we didn't sign anyone until the final day, when we brought in Cowie, Souttar and Dauda, sold Sow, loaned out Gomis and released Swanson. I'm not sure many, if any of those moves were reported in the press before the day itself, but they would have been in the pipeline before then.

4 minutes ago, HMFC_France said:

“He is one of several Hearts signing targets for next season, although Tynecastle officials hope to do some business before the winter transfer window closes tonight.“

Ummm, isn’t the window closing TOMORROW night? If the above is correct should we expect a busy day today then?

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

The only disappointing bit is this.

They won’t make a move for him before the current transfer window closes on Monday, however.

Barry needs to make up his mind, see my post above

£2m isn't a lot of money these days in football. It's about time teams outside the old firm realise this and start demanding better fees especially when it comes to English clubs. 

Edited by Ari Gold

jamboinglasgow

I get the feeling that like previous windows, we will sign someone tomorrow early in the day then the rest of the day will be talk of another player in till about 9pm where Hearts tell journalists their business is finished and the day feels anticlimactic. 

Mackay-Steven was a disgrace yesterday, he just wasn't interested, Kingsley must hope GMS stays on the right wing because he never gets the help he should get from a player that was hailed as a great signing. 

Just now, Sertse said:

Centre back yes, winger!? Just got Mackay-Steven in! Neilson needs to prioritise.

Just now, wavydavy said:

No mention of a Centre Back in this EEN article in this window.

With Ginnelly out, we need to try and recruit in the wide area. So we’re looking for another winger, plus a central midfielder, and someone to come in and compete with Michael Smith at right-back.

Don't need anymore wingers. Plenty central midfielders. Only right back i'd be looking at is Steven O'Donnell.

43 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I am in a positive thinking mode and predict that John Souttar will finally put his injury woes behind him and come back stronger than ever. It will almost be like a new quality signing. Good luck to him

2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Centre back yes, winger!? Just got Mackay-Steven in! Neilson needs to prioritise.

Don't need anymore wingers. Plenty central midfielders. Only right back i'd be looking at is Steven O'Donnell.

If we are seriously looking for another winger then it doesn't say much for the three others we already have in Frear, Roberts and Moore who are either crap or don't get a chance. White got a chance yesterday but other than getting a few touches just after he came on her was anonymous.

That is four wages being paid for players who are just not good enough. 

Absolute Scenes
8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Mackay-Steven was a disgrace yesterday, he just wasn't interested, Kingsley must hope GMS stays on the right wing because he never gets the help he should get from a player that was hailed as a great signing. 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 

Mackay Steven would walk into any team in the premiership. Stop talking bollocks 

9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I get the feeling that like previous windows, we will sign someone tomorrow early in the day then the rest of the day will be talk of another player in till about 9pm where Hearts tell journalists their business is finished and the day feels anticlimactic. 

Signing Langer early hoping to have Thiam announced later in the day. Who knows what would’ve happened if Thiam signed. 😞

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 

Mackay Steven would walk into any team in the premiership. Stop talking bollocks 

No doubt. It’s early days but he’s been rubbish so far. 

18 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Barry needs to make up his mind, see my post above

My guess is the article will be going in tomorrow’s paper and so when printed “tonight” will be accurate

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 

I am not so sure he would now. I thought he was very poor yesterday and seems to have lost some of his pace or else he wasn't bothered chasing the ball too hard.

I also notice that he is being played on the right wing when I am sure he used to play for Aberdeen mainly on the left.

Just now, Stendelnator said:

My guess is the article will be going in tomorrow’s paper and so when printed “tonight” will be accurate

Most likely. Not exactly very professional though is it. At least it isn’t a Ross Pilcher article that has me counting the amount of spelling and grammatical mistakes. (Not blaming Pilcher by the way, a half arsed editor should be able to sort that)

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Most likely. Not exactly very professional though is it. At least it isn’t a Ross Pilcher article that has me counting the amount of spelling and grammatical mistakes. (Not blaming Pilcher by the way, a half arsed editor should be able to sort that)

I get the evening news down here in the borders at 6.30am every morning so obviously an early edition 

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Signing Langer early hoping to have Thiam announced later in the day. Who knows what would’ve happened if Thiam signed. 😞

Yeah, from what I remember Barnsley kept messing us around with Thiam. I do wonder as well. Was Stendels kind of player.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am not so sure he would now. I thought he was very poor yesterday and seems to have lost some of his pace or else he wasn't bothered chasing the ball too hard.

I also notice that he is being played on the right wing when I am sure he used to play for Aberdeen mainly on the left.

Could be that he’s not match fit. I thought, on the rare occasions he got the ball to feet he tried to move it forward. Like Henderson. Positive.

As opposed to that to you-to me- to you triangular ballocks

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )