January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

10 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not so sure foolhardy mate. Sometimes you need to forget his contract is up. It's about making sure we get him. If 350k does that now so there's no chance of be gazumped and we can do it, then we do it.

Also gets him in and gets him acclimatised.

And as others have said, when there's a dev fee, it's little diff.

It feels very John McGinn. We should have been in for him at the time imo, and maybe learnt. But also from Campbell pov, looking at McGinn career path may appeal more than the myriad players who've headed south and got lost.

Go to bigger club in Scotland, one who are looking to go places, make a name, get a proper big move.

All makes sense to me!!! Ha ha. Chance hopes are up for nowt, but that's what these threads are all about!!!!!

I just can’t see us spending £350k unless it’s coming from A. An outgoing sale or B wholly financed by a benefactor. £350k from club resources would be a bit silly given there are no crowds at football for an unforeseen amount of time yet and could be well into next season before even get small crowds back.

The other thing is, when you look at the table Motherwell have had a really poor 2 months and almost on the point of being sucked in to a battle. They probably won’t be too keen to let Campbell go now when they can get almost the same fee in the summer.

This is probably one we can put in the Gullet file.

Edited by JimmyCant

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just now, JimmyCant said:

I just can’t see us spending £350k unless it’s coming from A. An outgoing sale or B wholly financed by a benefactor. £350k from club resources would be a bit silly given there are no crowds at football for an unforeseen amount of time yet and could be well into next season before even get small crowds back.

Ach I personally don't get hung up or take note overly of finance. If the club think we can afford it, then cool.

My job's just to get excited!

LarrysRightFoot
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I kind of feel like this as well but at the same time I genuinely can’t see Ann getting us into trouble. Then I think, like others have said re McGinn, sometimes you have to gamble/speculate to accumulate. 

Another reason Motherwell may potentially prefer to sell him now is they can insert a sell on % - where in the summer and he’s out of contract I assume they couldn’t? (Unless Campbell does what Dr Funk did and ask for one).

From what I’ve seen of him he would be a tremendous signing. I hope we pull it off but I’m not holding my breath. 

53 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

What happened to Aberdeen signing Brophy, GMS, Cadden, Campbell this month then?

Mate, unless I'm getting mixed up, that poster puts up some fantasty list for aberdeen every transfer window.  Who knows why!

4 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I kind of feel like this as well but at the same time I genuinely can’t see Ann getting us into trouble. Then I think, like others have said re McGinn, sometimes you have to gamble/speculate to accumulate. 

Another reason Motherwell may potentially prefer to sell him now is they can insert a sell on % - where in the summer and he’s out of contract I assume they couldn’t? (Unless Campbell does what Dr Funk did and ask for one).

From what I’ve seen of him he would be a tremendous signing. I hope we pull it off but I’m not holding my breath. 

That crossed my mind. It is one drawback of purchase against pre-contract.

You'd hope, when we could say to them well wait until summer, that we have a strong position on any sellon. You'd hope it isn't a McGinn 30% kinda thing. 10% maybe.

It is the kind of business we should be doing. Signing the best of the rest, particularly on a free, and pulling away from them...then hopefully sell for a decent price.

Findlay has a cap, Campbell may well earn a cap soon. O'Donnell has been capped but I think we're happy with Smith.

10 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ach I personally don't get hung up or take note overly of finance. If the club think we can afford it, then cool.

My job's just to get excited!

Fair enough but we trust the custodians of the club to provide an affordable team (the best we can possibly afford) and above all we trust them never to put us close to the financial brink again. If they have to err on the side of caution, especially when they have limited income, then that’s for the greater good. This guy is worth £350k plus easily. If we can get him without stretching then we should absolutely go all out to get him. (because someone else will soon)

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

That crossed my mind. It is one drawback of purchase against pre-contract.

You'd hope, when we could say to them well wait until summer, that we have a strong position on any sellon. You'd hope it isn't a McGinn 30% kinda thing. 10% maybe.

Aye the new "Dave Mackay" will need a sell on clause as once he goes to premiership his value will have soared so much.........

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

I don't know much about him, but if he is that good he wouldn't be dropping to the championship ??

Well maybe he’ll think it’s just possible we won’t be in the championship much longer. GMS wouldn’t be here if he thought we were staying there 

I think the quality of most of our  recent signings shows that the club are in a healthy position financially, which is something we can all be proud of. FoH and various other initiatives show our supporters  as being the most committed in Scotland.

Tennant's  6's
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

We sold more season tickets than any team in the SPL with the exception of rangers and Celtic.

FOH funds are now actively supporting the club. Easily and by far the biggest fan contribution in Scotland.

Unlike everyone  else we acted early to cut wages in the pandemic and while relegation is a disaster it did also allow us to invoke relegation causes in contracts 

hospitlaity at tynecastle was really starting to pay dividends during the summer.

we have James “Tesla” Anderson and his pals making sure we are ok. 

Getting to the cup final would have payed out a good few hundred K in prize money.

it’s that simple really.  Given the lack of crowds the differential between the championship and the Pl isn’t that great, and we have more than enough to offset it.

teams like Aberdeen didn’t really look ahead as to what was happening. They already owe £350k form Mcrorie,   They need to back pay Hayes a full year and they promisied some of the squad cuts would be paid back

:spoton:

Tennant's  6's
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Here's why. Scottish football ****ed us over.

But we've paid for the stand, have no debt, have high season ticket rev, £150k/month from the FOH and a billionaire who is pissed off and backing our infrastructure to give us longterm stability off the park to now allow us to build on it.

We also have an owner who has always backed her managers but now a Sporting Director with pedigree to build properly.

Basically my start to the post is the rub

You pissed us off at the wrong time and we're coming for you SPFL..

Aberdeen you're time of being happy to be also rans and best of the rest us over and we're coming to overtake you and actually show some ambition.

So eat it up.

:bravo:

I really do hope that our normally lacklustre, namby pamby Board really do share this sentiment.

The support certainly are. Superb.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
37 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

If he signs on a pre-contract we will have to pay them nearly that amount in the summer as a dev fee so it actually makes little odds - if he is joining us. 

It's a safe assumption that wherever he (or any other player) goes it will be for substantially more money than he is currently on till the end of his contract. With this in mind I'm sure that, rather than toss a coin in the event of two (or more) pretty similar acceptable offers, he'd plump for the club offering an instant salary upgrade. Of course, more than one club will most likely offer this, leaving any that don't at the back of the queue unless they are offering a better overall package.

While I'm sure there are many more considerations than an immediate pay rise for him to consider, it could, I am sure, swing it for him in the event of having a difficult decision to make between two or more clubs.

Tennant's  6's
15 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I don't know much about him, but if he is that good he wouldn't be dropping to the championship ??

The big sell would be that we're gearing up to take the Premiership by storm next season and try to get to out third successive Scottish Cup Final. 

I'm sure the sheep and hobos say likewise, so the actions of Robbie & Savage will be crucial in bringing in the right calibre of player. 

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Here's why. Scottish football ****ed us over.

But we've paid for the stand, have no debt, have high season ticket rev, £150k/month from the FOH and a billionaire who is pissed off and backing our infrastructure to give us longterm stability off the park to now allow us to build on it.

We also have an owner who has always backed her managers but now a Sporting Director with pedigree to build properly.

Basically my start to the post is the rub

You pissed us off at the wrong time and we're coming for you SPFL..

Aberdeen you're time of being happy to be also rans and best of the rest us over and we're coming to overtake you and actually show some ambition.

So eat it up.

Great Post.

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Is Campbell a genuine target or is he a KB target

It's a Kickback target. Campbell has been mentioned nowhere else but here. The only time he's been mentioned in the media is links with Hibs, Aberdeen and Millwall.

Findlay however was mentioned by Brian McLaughlin from the BBC in Robbie Neilson's press conference. That makes me think Findlay has got truth in it. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
28 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Which he most likely wouldn't be doing if he signed a pre-contract with us, while an immediate half season step-down to the Championship might be quite attractive for a young player rather than a more daunting step up to a level where an early mistake might slow down his progress.

In truth none of us know what goes through a player's mind when deciding on a move, though it's a safe bet that money plays the biggest part for most. Other things will come into it, of course, but most likely only swing it when the financial rewards, and playing opportunities, are pretty similar.

5 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Campbell will cost 300k in the summer anyway. Development fee

I don't have anything to contradict this figure, it just seems quite high and would presumably put a lot of clubs off young players in Scotland if they weren't of top quality. Do you know how the figure is arrived at i.e. what formula is used?

Pretty sure I just stumbled upon Gorillajam's account on Pie and Bovril.:lol:

Not a Hearts fan who's just really, really into Aberdeen. Just an Aberdeen fan, as it turns out.

Screenshot_20210130-114910.png

Edited by DC_92

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, R1874 said:

Won’t believe it until scarf above head

Campbell and Findlay sounds like class signings. Fingers crossed 

The campbell one is just made up shite by attention seekers on here

HillmanHearts
46 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Is Campbell a genuine target or is he a KB target

I’d feel he would be on a wish list as he ticks lots of boxes.

Whether he is genuinely obtainable, considering all the various factors involved, is maybe another question.

Leveins Battalion
10 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Not a Hearts fan who's just really, really into Aberdeen. Just an Aberdeen fan, as it turns out.

Sussed him out a long tome ago.

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

many thanks to our neighbours from Edinburgh Harbour for their usual support in our obtaining these funds

Edinburgh Harbour 😁

46 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

I don't have anything to contradict this figure, it just seems quite high and would presumably put a lot of clubs off young players in Scotland if they weren't of top quality. Do you know how the figure is arrived at i.e. what formula is used?

Just been looking at this. He is 23 years old, 24 in July. Certainly at 24 there would not be a development fee due. I also think you only have to pay a development fee up to the end of the calendar year in which he hits 23, which of course would be the turn of the year just gone. If that’s correct there would be no development fee due and they are only going to make money off him if they sell him before the deadline.

Edited by JimmyCant

Mr Brightside
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Just been looking at this. He is 23 years old, 24 in July. Certainly at 24 there would not be a development fee due. I also think you only have to pay a development fee up to the end of the calendar year in which he hits 23, which of course would be the turn of the year just gone. If that’s correct there would be no development fee due and they are only going to make money off him if they sell him before the deadline.

If he’s 24 in July then anyone signing him in 2021 needs to pay a development fee. Think this was the same issue as the guy from Walsall.

27 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I’d say that’s definitely him. Such a weird thing to do that it’s almost beyond my comprehension. Would be like me hanging about an aberdeen forum, not just during one transfer window, but for years pretending to be a sheep fan who has an interest in hearts signings. 

What would need to have happened in your life to wake up one morning and decide to  become a long term infiltrator of a rival sides fan forum. Oddball stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

If he’s 24 in July then anyone signing him in 2021 needs to pay a development fee. Think this was the same issue as the guy from Walsall.

It’s different in a cross border transfer. just looked this up on the SPFL website and my reading of it is there is actually no development fee due after his 23rd birthday. I’m sure someone else will have a look and confirm.

https://spfl.co.uk/cms-content/images/shares/pdfs/Rules and Regulations SPFL 8_10_2018.pdf

covered in Section F

Edited by JimmyCant

Findlay and Campbell on pre-contracts would be stauner-inducing let's be honest. Campbell was top of my wish list for midfielders but never thought we'd be in with a shout. Absolutely superb business if we pull it off. Findlay seems more realistic and exactly the sort of player we should be snapping up.

Two future Scotland stars. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Tennant's  6's
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Findlay and Campbell on pre-contracts would be stauner-inducing let's be honest. Campbell was top of my wish list for midfielders but never thought we'd be in with a shout. Absolutely superb business if we pull it off. 

Very much this 😂😂

I'm still sceptical as it does seem a tad unrealistic  , but that's prob due to the dross that we've been served up in recent seasons..

Joe Savage will certainly be earning his money if he makes it happen 

Mr Brightside
15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s different in a cross border transfer. just looked this up on the SPFL website and my reading of it is there is actually no development fee due after his 23rd birthday. I’m sure someone else will have a look and confirm.

https://spfl.co.uk/cms-content/images/shares/pdfs/Rules and Regulations SPFL 8_10_2018.pdf

covered in Section F

If that’s the case we may be in a stronger position to sign him as Championship teams in England might take him on a free but not pay £350k.

If £350k is the development fee for cross border we should be able to cut a deal for less.

13 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Very much this 😂😂

I'm still sceptical as it does seem a tad unrealistic  , but that's prob due to the dross that we've been served up in recent seasons..

100% 😁👍🏻

Don’t want to be that guy, but from previous transfer threads we’ve had guys that have had pages and pages of discussion because someone, claiming to be ITK or not, said their name in connection with us. I know as I’ve discussed said names myself when they come up. But more often than not there’s actually nothing to it. As always though, happy to be wrong in this.

Neil Dongcaster
36 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Findlay and Campbell on pre-contracts would be stauner-inducing let's be honest. Campbell was top of my wish list for midfielders but never thought we'd be in with a shout. Absolutely superb business if we pull it off. Findlay seems more realistic and exactly the sort of player we should be snapping up.

I’m not sure we will be able to pull these signings out of the bag. Willing to be surprised of course as they would be fantastic.

If we do get these two on pre-contracts and they want to keep playing in the top league to try for the Scotland squad till summer then I wouldn't be averse to picking up someone like dikamona on loan till the summer 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Dev fees are due up to 31st December of the year a players turns 23. Campbell is 23 in July so there would be a fee due. 

42 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

They are not two future Scotland stars ffs

38 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Very much this 😂😂

I'd be surprised if RN and his coaches didn't know a lot more about Campbell and Findlay than Savage

Neil Dongcaster
2 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

They are not two future Scotland stars ffs

Stars is maybe abit far but they will both earn 15 plus caps for Scotland I believe.

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Dev fees are due up to 31st December of the year a players turns 23. Campbell is 23 in July so there would be a fee due. 

Ahhh right. The reference I was looking at had his date of birth as 1997 and it looks like 98 is correct

AllyjamboDerbyshire
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I'd be surprised if RN and his coaches didn't know a lot more about Campbell and Findlay than Savage

But is it not the role of the DoF to 'make it happen'? There's a fair bit more to signing players than just recognising their talent.

Tennant's  6's
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Yeah, true. Although in his interview he did talk of his love of the game up here.

I was meaning more about selling the club, the vision. 

I'd imagine that his expertise is in the English lower leagues & Prem academies. 

8 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

But is it not the role of the DoF to 'make it happen'? There's a fair bit more to signing players than just recognising their talent.

It will be a team effort to make it happen starting with AB coming up with the funds.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )