January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

6 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Surely doable? Tbh I haven't seen him play but this feels like a McGinn type signing where if we went for it, we could make big money on him a couple of years down the line.

I agree as I said might not happen but we are definitely negotiating 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

24 minutes ago, pointon said:

Motherwell want £350k now to realise him now but it’s negotiable 

If that's true then I'd be well up for paying it. If he does well then we could make 5x that, and even if not we'd be getting a good Premiership level midfielder who offers something we've sorely lacked in midfield for years.

Having said that, does he really fancy Scottish Championship over English Championship?

Genuine question. Can anyone explain how we are able to fund all these signings during a pandemic.

All the elite clubs in Europe have cut back on their spending of players because of their reduction of income. Surely we must be struggling financially like everyone else especially as we are currently in the championship and have no idea when crowds will be reintroduced.

Arthur Morgan
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

If that's true then I'd be well up for paying it. If he does well then we could make 5x that, and even if not we'd be getting a good Premiership level midfielder who offers something we've sorely lacked in midfield for years.

Having said that, does he really fancy Scottish Championship over English Championship?

Only for a few more months though, let's be honest.

17 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Genuine question. Can anyone explain how we are able to fund all these signings during a pandemic.

All the elite clubs in Europe have cut back on their spending of players because of their reduction of income. Surely we must be struggling financially like everyone else especially as we are currently in the championship and have no idea when crowds will be reintroduced.

I can explain. Neither of the two free agents we've signed in this window were able to find a club that wasn't affected by the pandemic.

Weirdly you don't seem too concerned about this when you're discussing your fantasy Aberdeen signings, despite it being abundantly clear that Aberdeen had counted on fans being back by now, while we did not.

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I wouldn’t know. It’s not something I take into much account when judging a player. If you’ve played for Celtic or Rangers first team regularly you ought to be good enough for us. As for Hibs - the answer is Hartley who got a good deal of patience before coming good

Well swerved.

IMO he 100% would not. There is a fair sized section of our support who cut him a lot of slack because of who he played for and his enduring love for them.

Personally I prefer Roberts to Frear and Halliday is anonymous most games to the point where you forget he’s playing.

At least Lafferty gave us goals so the baggage was bearable

pettigrewsstylist

Decent box to box midfielder with an engine would be nice.

World beater not reqd, just competent and resilient history to demonstrate.

We have needed one for yrs.

4 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

Poppy money 💰 

Leveins Battalion

Oh look the resident Sheep fan is showing concern 🤣

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Well swerved.

IMO he 100% would not. There is a fair sized section of our support who cut him a lot of slack because of who he played for and his enduring love for them.

Personally I prefer Roberts to Frear and Halliday is anonymous most games to the point where you forget he’s playing.

At least Lafferty gave us goals so the baggage was bearable

Sorry, but I just don't buy the argument that we give ex Rangers players an easier time than others. Off the top of my head, Hugh Burns, McSwegan and Petric weren't exactly universally loved by Hearts fans.

Edited by pablo

FOH and James Anderson

6 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s actually ludicrous how early people have chosen to write him off. It’s as if Wighton wasn’t as crap the boo boys said he’d be so they turned their attention to the next guy to have a bad game. I’m not saying Roberts is good or bad, I mean I can’t really as I’ve not seen enough of him to make a solid conclusion. But no one has, yet they still have these hardcore opinions about him. Weird folk.

Well it certainly looks like Robbie has as he hasn’t been near the squad after his almost invisible performance first half at Alloa!!

He is simply not interested in getting involved in the game and we are playing at a pretty poor level. He has no future at Hearts and that is plain to see even after just a small amount of games. It would genuinely be like playing with 10 men if we started him in the Premier League. 

38 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Campbell and Findlay yes please 😀

I've got my expectations up now. If we sign some league 2 diddy I'm no gonna be happy 😂

46 minutes ago, pablo said:

Sorry, but I just don't buy the argument that we give ex Rangers players an easier time than others. Off the top of my head, Hugh Burns, McSwegan and Petric weren't exactly universally loved by Hearts fans.

I’m not saying every ex Gers player is universally loved but some of our supporters give them the benefit of the doubt longer than others. Especially nowadays. We’ve become a famine/feast kind of support.

Midweek feast,  today hopefully another feast.

fabienleclerq
10 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Would be happy with Findlay. Remember the first time I saw him for the under 21s against a very decent France side, thought he stood out.

Will confess, no idea Kingsley played, interesting teams 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34495797

Sometimes you see the line ups from these games and many have disappeared. That France team is unreal and even the Scottish one the boys are all playing first team football. 

6 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Surely doable? Tbh I haven't seen him play but this feels like a McGinn type signing where if we went for it, we could make big money on him a couple of years down the line.

Knowing our luck we would splash the cash and he'd do his cruciate on his debut.

He would need to be the priority signing for us in the summer. Energetic, young, experienced in the league. Sell on value. Ticks all the boxes. 

kingantti1874
5 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

We sold more season tickets than any team in the SPL with the exception of rangers and Celtic.

FOH funds are now actively supporting the club. Easily and by far the biggest fan contribution in Scotland.

Unlike everyone  else we acted early to cut wages in the pandemic and while relegation is a disaster it did also allow us to invoke relegation causes in contracts 

hospitlaity at tynecastle was really starting to pay dividends during the summer.

we have James “Tesla” Anderson and his pals making sure we are ok. 

Getting to the cup final would have payed out a good few hundred K in prize money.

it’s that simple really.  Given the lack of crowds the differential between the championship and the Pl isn’t that great, and we have more than enough to offset it.

teams like Aberdeen didn’t really look ahead as to what was happening. They already owe £350k form Mcrorie,   They need to back pay Hayes a full year and they promisied some of the squad cuts would be paid back

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Sometimes you see the line ups from these games and many have disappeared. That France team is unreal and even the Scottish one the boys are all playing first team football. 

Great thing about these games you have no idea who you are watching. 

Seen this gangly kid for Holland with a different hairstyle in a 21s or maybe 18s game, but turned out to be the best player of his time 10 years on

Jack Torrance
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We sold more season tickets than any team in the SPL with the exception of rangers and Celtic.

FOH funds are now actively supporting the club. Easily and by far the biggest fan contribution in Scotland.

Unlike everyone  else we acted early to cut wages in the pandemic and while relegation is a disaster it did also allow us to invoke relegation causes in contracts 

hospitlaity at tynecastle was really starting to pay dividends during the summer.

Getting to the cup final would have payed out a good few hundred K in prize money.

it’s that simple really.  Given the lack of crowds the differential between the championship and the Pl isn’t that great, and we have more than enough to offset it.

teams like Aberdeen didn’t really look ahead as to what was happening. They already owe £350k form Mcrorie,   They need to back pay Hayes a full year and they promisied some of the squad cuts would be paid back

Great Post, except I'd change "relegation" to "expulsion" 👍

Edited by Jack Torrance

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

No idea! :lol:  

If true that's an absolute steal.  We shouldn't even bother being tight about it, just shake their hand. 

Him and Irving in midfield, GMS and Gino on the wings, Armand and Boyce upfront. 

Sign a belter of a Centerhalf next and.... 

041vw2xxzc101.thumb.png.073d8125c7501d6f1e84508a8034b8a7.png

Except you only get 15 minutes of Ginnelly 

6 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

Here's why. Scottish football ****ed us over.

But we've paid for the stand, have no debt, have high season ticket rev, £150k/month from the FOH and a billionaire who is pissed off and backing our infrastructure to give us longterm stability off the park to now allow us to build on it.

We also have an owner who has always backed her managers but now a Sporting Director with pedigree to build properly.

Basically my start to the post is the rub

You pissed us off at the wrong time and we're coming for you SPFL..

Aberdeen you're time of being happy to be also rans and best of the rest us over and we're coming to overtake you and actually show some ambition.

So eat it up.

Edited by TheBigO

Lord Beni of Gorgie

2million for Cosgrove is still decent cash plus about the same for McKenna. 

Aberdeen should still have cash to operate in the market despite their significant operating costs and losses.

manaliveits105
19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

many thanks to our neighbours from Edinburgh Harbour for their usual support in our obtaining these funds

Flux Capacitor

EBDDE9F2-ED3C-4B06-9804-B4C4C78CF09E.jpeg

19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Don't forget that it was reported that AB loaned the club a "6 figure number to help the club" about 6/8 weeks ago just a week or so before there was a meeting to discuss January signings where she said Robbie would be backed

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Flux Capacitor said:

EBDDE9F2-ED3C-4B06-9804-B4C4C78CF09E.jpeg

And not to forget .....your grant is this much 

images.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Sir Gio

1 hour ago, Billy Hoyle said:

Well it certainly looks like Robbie has as he hasn’t been near the squad after his almost invisible performance first half at Alloa!!

He is simply not interested in getting involved in the game and we are playing at a pretty poor level. He has no future at Hearts and that is plain to see even after just a small amount of games. It would genuinely be like playing with 10 men if we started him in the Premier League. 

Well that’s your opinion. Maybe it is, as you say, Robbie’s too. But then why direct anger towards the player? Why not at Robbie and the scouting staff responsible for his signing? My point being that the player himself has done nothing to encourage anger, hatred and slagging off yet it’s what he receives. Personally, I would like him to have a few more games under his belt before I write him off. And if he doesn’t pick it up then that’s a shame, it was a punt that didn’t pay off. Like about 95% of our signings these days. I’m not going to get *angry* at him though, as that’s weird unhinged behaviour.

34 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Plus we got the £500k grant 😉

Well all the “elite” clubs in Europe is a bit of a generalisation isn’t it? We’re classed as elite but can’t exactly be classed as the same Barca or Bayern. So if an elite club like that has decided to spend £100 million rather than £200 million in a transfer window and £90k a week salary rather than £120k a week salary on a player it’s not quite the same as us getting loans, players on a free and maybe - just maybe - stretch that budget out to a six figure some nowhere near our record signing of £850k for a new player now is it?

Also, AB was heavily criticised for her actions on players wages early on in the pandemic, but was proven to be right as almost every other club followed suit. So our budgets have been handled well and has to be said better than others. Not to mention the other sources of income and fan backing others have already mentioned. 

What happened to Aberdeen signing Brophy, GMS, Cadden, Campbell this month then?

Lots of talk of Campbell and Findlay and we’ll either end up signing no one or a guy from Morecambe who 3 years ago was playing in the North West Counties League in England won’t we?

(As an aside, if we do sign said player I’ll wait until I see what he does in a Hearts jersey before judging him mind)

7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Lots of talk of Campbell and Findlay and we’ll either end up signing no one or a guy from Morecambe who 3 years ago was playing in the North West Counties League in England won’t we?

(As an aside, if we do sign said player I’ll wait until I see what he does in a Hearts jersey before judging him mind)

The new Jamie Vardy. 

39 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Well that’s your opinion. Maybe it is, as you say, Robbie’s too. But then why direct anger towards the player? Why not at Robbie and the scouting staff responsible for his signing? My point being that the player himself has done nothing to encourage anger, hatred and slagging off yet it’s what he receives. Personally, I would like him to have a few more games under his belt before I write him off. And if he doesn’t pick it up then that’s a shame, it was a punt that didn’t pay off. Like about 95% of our signings these days. I’m not going to get *angry* at him though, as that’s weird unhinged behaviour.

If he even showed a willingness to work hard for the team and make himself available for the ball then I think the majority of fans would cut him a bit slack. Has he completed a full 90mins for us this season? The fact he is taken off every time he starts tells you everything you need to know yet you would persist in playing him and giving him more chances than he has had? 
Like you say all about opinions. I don’t think there is hatred towards him. He is simply not a good footballer. 

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

That's the spirit.

:vrface:

Haha! I just recall being excited about the deadline day last year expecting to sign the guy from Barnsley and it falling through. 😞 Trying not to get my hopes up this time...

But I’m sure I saw here that we signed someone on a pre-contract already but haven’t announced yet. So maybe one of them is already done?

Would have thought Campbell if had option would go down south, if we get him not sure we will be paying £350k at moment that would be foolhardy.

1 minute ago, Lfhearts said:

Would have thought Campbell if had option would go down south, if we get him not sure we will be paying £350k at moment that would be foolhardy.

If he signs on a pre-contract we will have to pay them nearly that amount in the summer as a dev fee so it actually makes little odds - if he is joining us. 

Just now, Billy Hoyle said:

If he even showed a willingness to work hard for the team and make himself available for the ball then I think the majority of fans would cut him a bit slack. Has he completed a full 90mins for us this season? The fact he is taken off every time he starts tells you everything you need to know yet you would persist in playing him and giving him more chances than he has had? 
Like you say all about opinions. I don’t think there is hatred towards him. He is simply not a good footballer. 

He’s a winger, the chances of him finishing 90 minutes are always slim. Unless there’s injuries, forward players tend to get replaced for freshness in attack every game at every club. So that’s not really a fair remark. And I have seen him show willingness to get the ball and put in some dangerous crosses. Do I think he’s putting in a shift like a grifter in a game of fives? No. Is he putting in the effort I would as a lifelong football and more importantly Hearts fan? No, but he’s not a Hearts fan so why would I expect that?

He hasn’t set the heather alight (yet) but writing him off seems very premature. And if you don’t think there’s hatred on anger towards him on this message board then you’ve not really been paying attention. It’s places like this, group chats and nonsensical pub chat drivel that leaks into the stands on a Saturday and sees players get completely unwarranted abuse from those that claim to “support”. Not saying this is you, by the way, but the signs with how Roberts is being talked about and what is likely to happen if supporters were allowed in is there for all to see.

5 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Not so sure foolhardy mate. Sometimes you need to forget his contract is up. It's about making sure we get him. If 350k does that now so there's no chance of be gazumped and we can do it, then we do it.

Also gets him in and gets him acclimatised.

And as others have said, when there's a dev fee, it's little diff.

It feels very John McGinn. We should have been in for him at the time imo, and maybe learnt. But also from Campbell pov, looking at McGinn career path may appeal more than the myriad players who've headed south and got lost.

Go to bigger club in Scotland, one who are looking to go places, make a name, get a proper big move.

All makes sense to me!!! Ha ha. Chance hopes are up for nowt, but that's what these threads are all about!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Surely we have cut the wage bill down since last season. Add the facts we’ve just been handed 500k and we sold 10-11,000 season tickets and it doesn’t seem too extravagant to me. 

Campbell is a million+ pound player that we could potentially get for £350k. No negotiation necessary. 

The Porty Pirlo and the Lanarkshire Kante in midfield. 

:sweeet:

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )