January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
22 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As i say though, we’re averaging 3 goals scored per game even yesterday our Center forward scored 2. A Center forward is not going to change our style of play. Only Center halves and Center mids can do that (agree we need another Center mid). The only reason I can see that we might need another CF is to Chuck on as plan B if we need a goal. 

Priority has to be to get the leak plugged at CB 

Games like Dundee away show why we need another striker. Boyce does a lot of good work outside the box and with his back to goal which we miss when he isn't in the team. The ball didn't stick up top at all with Wighton leading the line at Dens. Yes Boyce didn't have the best game yesterday despite scoring twice, but bringing in a physical front man might ease some of the pressure on Boyce and allow him to focus on being a penalty box striker.

A centre half is probably needed but we can't ignore other positions that need addressed just as urgently.

7 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I beg to differ. It's always better to play players on their strongest side. Last season at Falkirk, we played Dikamona on the left and during the match he looked extremely uncomfortable doing so, and it could've cost us, nearly did. There are loads of left-sided central defenders out there to look for. We have Souttar, Popescu and Smith to an extent who is naturally right-sided, Halkett isn't really the answer so that leaves Berra the only natural left-sided defender. 

The square peg thing...even here and now we have fans making suggestions on who should we put together to play in midfield three's, defensive midfield, someone attacking, the best system  etc...which in some ways proves the point. Put him there, put him here, put him over there...it's ridiculous. You sign the right players and there's no need to sign any old  players just to "fit in" a system. 

John Terry is probably the best centre half of the Premier League era and he was right footed but spent most of his Chelsea and England career playing as a left centre half.

Ultimately if a centre half is comfortable with the ball at his feet it won't matter what side he plays on. Dikamona struggled as he's not great at distribution so struggled on that side. In an ideal world you would have a perfect left/right foot balance right through the team but how often does it happen?

You sign players to fit a style of play. Popescu hasn't struggled because he is right footed playing on the left side, it's because he is an extremely limited player.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Walsall manager looking a bit of dick now

Didn’t understand that the player was free to talk to Hearts

Could do a lot worse than looking at a couple of the raith players. Tumilty and the boy that missed the pen were decent players. Both look young and hungry. Our team is old and slow.

we need two centre half’s, a midfielder and a striker. 

if we go up with this squad we’ll be in trouble 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

How much do we lose if we don't get up? Invest now and be done with it.

I have no idea but it doesn't bear thinking about.

28 minutes ago, CMc said:

completely agree - if Haring can get 100% fit, he’s the perfect foil for Irving but they absolutely need a runner linking them to the attack and overlapping the forwards. 

Both really good players when in form, but both in the strolling type. 

Need a high energy player to get between the lines on attack and press and harass off the ball. 

This for me too.    One of our biggest problems is movement,   limited options on the ball leading to slow, ponderous football.     We need that dynamism from midfield. 

8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I would love to know who these youngsters are?

I would start with Irving, Stone and Logan. From what I’ve seen they are the most likely to progress. Other who have seen our youngsters play more regularly than I have may have other opinions. For the academy  to start to work for us, it has to start producing.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Games like Dundee away show why we need another striker. Boyce does a lot of good work outside the box and with his back to goal which we miss when he isn't in the team. The ball didn't stick up top at all with Wighton leading the line at Dens. Yes Boyce didn't have the best game yesterday despite scoring twice, but bringing in a physical front man might ease some of the pressure on Boyce and allow him to focus on being a penalty box striker.

A centre half is probably needed but we can't ignore other positions that need addressed just as urgently.

John Terry is probably the best centre half of the Premier League era and he was right footed but spent most of his Chelsea and England career playing as a left centre half.

Ultimately if a centre half is comfortable with the ball at his feet it won't matter what side he plays on. Dikamona struggled as he's not great at distribution so struggled on that side. In an ideal world you would have a perfect left/right foot balance right through the team but how often does it happen?

You sign players to fit a style of play. Popescu hasn't struggled because he is right footed playing on the left side, it's because he is an extremely limited player.

We would have beaten Dundee if we could’ve kept the door shut. We created plenty, but just look at the state of the defending. And there’s a pattern. We’ve got goals + created chances against Dunfermline, Dundee, Raith. It was the concession of dreadfully defended 2 or 3 goals that was out undoing on all 3 occasions. 2-3 goals conceded against these mobs! Its shambolic! With good Center halves all 3 of them games would have been W’s 

7 hours ago, Jamboj1 said:

Mentioned the other week not to be surprised if we sign a CB this window, I now believe we will now look to bring one in due to form and the injury to Berra we have been looking at a loan from down south if we can’t get one of our summer targets this window. 👍🏻

Hopefully a competent one this time, furthermore a possible long term signing. 👍

Burnley are sending Jimmy Dunne out on loan according to Alan Nixon. I'd imagine he'll be off to the English Championship rather than the Scottish Championship though.

17 minutes ago, Cigaro said:

Barry Anderson saying we've agreed terms with Adebayo

Feel sorry for the laddie he'll be starved of service in this side and will be expected to do all the work for our lazy midfielders 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

LOL - Walsall manager looks a right tit now.

He went off on one like some posters on here without knowing what he was talking about 😉

Mr Brightside
12 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We would have beaten Dundee if we could’ve kept the door shut. We created plenty, but just look at the state of the defending. And there’s a pattern. We’ve got goals + created chances against Dunfermline, Dundee, Raith. It was the concession of dreadfully defended 2 or 3 goals that was out undoing on all 3 occasions. 2-3 goals conceded against these mobs! Its shambolic! With good Center halves all 3 of them games would have been W’s 

Kind of agree with this. In the games we have lost we still created enough chances to get at least draws.

Against Dundee and Dunfermline I felt we were out fought and out competed for at least 45 minutes. Yesterday that wasn’t the case but we conceded some cheap goals.

15 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

This for me too.    One of our biggest problems is movement,   limited options on the ball leading to slow, ponderous football.     We need that dynamism from midfield. 

Agree.

Whilst I really like Irving he doesn't regularly move the ball quickly.  We need a Paul Hartley/Colin Cameron type, or at least a watered down Championship version.

26 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He's not going to get fit sitting on the bench. Why is he on the bench in the first place? I will say it is because Robbie knows he is far from fit and never will be. He showed this during the Dundee game. He is far too slow to play alongside two other players who are also slow in Irving and Halliday.

Ok I know some other posters on here claim you don't have to be quick but for me it certainly makes a big difference if you have a bit of pace and can move the ball around quickly.

Raith had one day of training in almost two weeks and yesterday was the first game they had played this year and yet we play the ball around backwards and sideways playing riight into their hands.

We should have been running them all over the park to exhaust them but we looked more exhausted than them near the end.

Every one of those players and the Coaching staff should be ashamed of themselves not just for that performance yesterday but for the others such as the Dundee game and the Dunfermline and Alloa games where we bottled it again.

A rude wakeup call is required for everyone involved in the playing and coaching staff at Hearts.

No, he won’t get match fit on the bench. 

it may be that he is still playing through a lot of pain or discomfort and that the injury is not 100% recovered. 

cant really have a midfield enforcer who is in two mind about 50/50s. 

Being on the bench may be part of the recovery programme - eg going through all the pre and post warm ups, etc. 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Kind of agree with this. In the games we have lost we still created enough chances to get at least draws.

Against Dundee and Dunfermline I felt we were out fought and out competed for at least 45 minutes. Yesterday that wasn’t the case but we conceded some cheap goals.

Our defence is frightening. The two centre halfs are very poor whilst Mr Consistent flatters to deceive most weeks. 

16 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Ah right.  So you're raking up the perceived academy failings of 4 of the last 6 years on a thread relating to this transfer window.  Gor it now.

Exactly. I think the topics feed into each other. If we could bring through a few more decent quality young players from the academy it would put less pressure on the club to have to sign 7+ new players every season. 

Delirium Tremen
13 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Feel sorry for the laddie he'll be starved of service in this side and will be expected to do all the work for our lazy midfielders 

Creating chances and scoring goals is the least of our problems

54 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Thing that pisses me off more than anything is that most of the clubs in the Championship, even some in the lower end of the Premier would bite your hand off for some of the players we have at the club. It seems they come to us and decide to just play practice matches against our opponents. You might get away with that against the Alloa's or Arbroath's of this world but you won't when you come up against any team with any fight about them and see you as a scalp. And it's not just a Robbie thing, it's been going on since 2016. AFter yesterday when we could've been further ahead in the table it is now vital we don't lose at Raith on Tuesday night. They've put this pressure on themselves, now it's time for them to man up or get the furk out.

you’re right and the result is we have no spine to the team which is the basis of any good side.  Not 1 centre back good enough, not 1 central midfielder in the engine room with haring out and not 1 striker who can lead the line (Boyce is doing well but that’s not his game).  It’s like a 12 yr old has been on some football manger computer game 

20 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Burnley are sending Jimmy Dunne out on loan according to Alan Nixon. I'd imagine he'll be off to the English Championship rather than the Scottish Championship though.

Unfortunately his wages are high. 

You never know though.  If you offer a player guaranteed first team games, they might take it, rather than compete with other players.   I'd be offering him guaranteed first team at hearts, that's for certain. 

1 minute ago, Baxfee said:

Great to hear about signing - beats reading the shite that’s been spouted on here in the last 24 hours 

Hopefully Walsall agree to let him go or he can stay with them to the end of the season

Jack Torrance
1 minute ago, HMFC01 said:

You never know though.  If you offer a player guaranteed first team games, they might take it, rather than compete with other players.   I'd be offering him guaranteed first team at hearts, that's for certain. 

No one should be offered guaranteed first team games. I'd certainly be indicating they'd be top of the list and it would be their spot to lose but that they have to earn it too. Guaranteeing a place does no one any favours especially a developing player. You're just asking for trouble. And if a player has confidence in their ability they expect to be able to hold down a place.

He'd be a good shout.

2 minutes ago, zakred said:

Hopefully Walsall agree to let him go or he can stay with them to the end of the season

I fear it is the latter. If Walsall know they are getting money regardless they may just keep him until EoS and take a smaller amount. That is what I would do in their position.

Weakened Offender
7 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

He's not coming on loan to a Scottish Championship team. 

It's hard to get too excited about new additions knowing the culture and mindset they are coming into set from top downwards...it should be attack attack attack, go for the throats of the opponents, bodies bombing forward and playing with a pride and passion reflecting that of the loyal fans that keep this club going....

Instead it's talking a great game to the press and continally giving pitiful displays only worsened by the next. Imagine saying that about our team and staff so far down the line under this regime 👎

2 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

No one should be offered guaranteed first team games. I'd certainly be indicating they'd be top of the list and it would be their spot to lose but that they have to earn it too. Guaranteeing a place does no one any favours especially a developing player. You're just asking for trouble. And if a player has confidence in their ability they expect to be able to hold down a place.

He'd be a good shout.

With the competition Jimmy would have, I'd say its a safe bet we could guarantee him a first team spot 🤣 Although I know what you mean and cannot disagree

1 minute ago, WDJ87 said:

I fear it is the latter. If Walsall know they are getting money regardless they may just keep him until EoS and take a smaller amount. That is what I would do in their position.

Not sure how it would effect things but it seems to be Fulham who are due the development fee. 

Jack Torrance
Just now, WDJ87 said:

With the competition Jimmy would have, I'd say its a safe bet we could guarantee him a first team spot 🤣 Although I know what you mean and cannot disagree

Absolutely,  he'd have to have a disastrous fall from grace to avoid being on the team sheet 🤣

Dusk_Till_Dawn
9 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

This will be a good indication of Savage. There can be no doubt this player has came from him.

Correct. I think Savage could be good for us

3 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

Saved me a post 👍 

bobby bombscare
4 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

don't think Walsall get a penny at the end of the season. I'm sure that the 100k is a development fee that goes straight to Fulham. So it's either take cash now or let him go for nothing still. (could be wrong though, if i am i'm sure someone will correct me)

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Btw, pure propaganda from the EEN.

”Neilson’s first choice target for some time.” As if, Savage will have recommended this one.

”Agreed contract terms” but not actually agreed a deal with Walsall.

5 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

They’ll hardly see a penny if they hold off until end of season as most of the development fee will go to Fulham. 

They could well be open to a transfer now for which they’ll get the full amount. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not sure how it would effect things but it seems to be Fulham who are due the development fee. 

1 minute ago, bobby bombscare said:

don't think Walsall get a penny at the end of the season. I'm sure that the 100k is a development fee that goes straight to Fulham. So it's either take cash now or let him go for nothing still. (could be wrong though, if i am i'm sure someone will correct me)

Ahhh! Hope so! Wasn't aware of this! 🤞

A_A wehatethehibs
13 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

This will be a good indication of Savage. There can be no doubt this player has came from him.

Unless he’s shite, in which case there can be no doubt Neilson will be to blame 

16 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

The problem is the level he would be playing at. He would be a fantastic signing but Burnley won’t send him to the Scottish Championship I don’t think even if he started every game. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
37 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We couldn't play through midfield against Dundee or Dunfermline so at Dens in particular we had to go more direct and the ball came back at us every time. We got no time on the ball and couldn't cope. Yes we didnt defend well that night but we couldn't ease the pressure on the back four by getting their defenders turning at the ther end.

We created chances in all those games but an inability to keep possession in the final third was a real issue and that's exactly what we're looking for any new striker to help us do. It can make a huge difference.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Btw, pure propaganda from the EEN.

”Neilson’s first choice target for some time.” As if, Savage will have recommended this one.

”Agreed contract terms” but not actually agreed a deal with Walsall.

Why do folk seem to have this false dichotomy that a signing is either a Neilson or a Savage signing? 

Neilson and Savage are both sat in the same room looking at the same list of “players within budget” discussing it in considerable detail.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Why do folk seem to have this false dichotomy that a signing is either a Neilson or a Savage signing? 

Neilson and Savage are both sat in the same room looking at the same list of “players within budget” discussing it in considerable detail.

What I’m saying is that “Neilson’s first choice for some time” lacks credibility and there’s no doubt at all that this is being used to draw attention away from yesterday

bobby bombscare
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

what on earth are you on about. Don't come on here talking common sense! you'll get lynched.

only post the following:

Lafferty back

Neilson Out 

Budge out

3 minutes ago, Billy Hoyle said:

The problem is the level he would be playing at. He would be a fantastic signing but Burnley won’t send him to the Scottish Championship I don’t think even if he started every game. 

Yeah.   If he gets told he needs to play at a high level to stay at Burnley.   Plenty struggling English Championship sides he could get in.   

😔 😢 

18 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

I think they need to share the money with fulham if it goes to the end of the season 

26 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

IMO this will really be his first signing influence.

I do not count GMS because when it was known he was available, we would have been after him even if Cathro, Levein, MacPhee or Stendel had been manager.

Edited by JamboAl

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )