***Offishul Hearts v Alloa thread - 7pm KO***

upgotheheads

18 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

People moaning about performances are the same ones who slate Hibs fans for saying they play good football but ultimately lose.

post of the day and it's not even 10 o' clock

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• davemclaren

• Thomaso

19 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

People moaning about performances are the same ones who slate Hibs fans for saying they play good football but ultimately lose.

Have to agree I find it all a bit Hibs. The win is what matters. I understand folk are frustrated at the performances but there are people who post nothing remotely positive on here and disappear altogether after a good result.

I'm used to hysterics after a loss but after a 3-0 win?

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

As most have stated, it's difficult for the players to play with foot on the gas for 90 mins when up 3-0 early with no fans there to urge them on. Add to it that many of the players out there for us are still getting back to full fitness, or have played a lot of football in the last few weeks, and the sort of performance we saw last night should be expected. Great result nonetheless, I would like to see Neilson giving some of the younger guys a chance off the bench when we're in a commanding position like we were last night.

Just told my boss that I worked my ass off this morning so going to put my feet up this sfternoon. He said fine go put yer feet up at home and enjoy your extended lock down. I will forward your P45 on to you. 

Good guy. 

We managed the game second half.

We're 3 up, there's no point going hell for leather and potentially risk injury.

Seriously despair at times.

Austin MacGlee
57 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

As most have stated, it's difficult for the players to play with foot on the gas for 90 mins when up 3-0 early with no fans there to urge them on. Add to it that many of the players out there for us are still getting back to full fitness, or have played a lot of football in the last few weeks, and the sort of performance we saw last night should be expected. Great result nonetheless, I would like to see Neilson giving some of the younger guys a chance off the bench when we're in a commanding position like we were last night.

Very much this for me too. Last night was a perfect opportunity to get a couple of youngsters on.

3-0 win with no real tests of our GK so I can't complain. Boyce needs dropped to get his head right. No reason Wighton should be sitting on the bench at this moment. 

Last night was a stark reminder of why Robbie divides the support. The second half was incredibly boring but seriously, all that matters this season is getting out of this league. By any means possible. I'm hoping that promotion brings about a complete overhaul of the squad. We desperately need pace and someone in the middle who can run with the ball. I totally understand the frustration at the tippy tappy possession game we play. Winning is literally all that matters in this league. Anything other than promotion is doomsday.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

It will be if it’s necessary. Damour will leave otherwise it’s career over for him. Most players move on when told they won’t be getting a game. 

Like Martin, Sammon etc who knew they wouldn’t get the same money elsewhere? I hope you’re right though. 

Pasquale for King

No, but the perception amongst their  fans and the football media is that they have been playing like Brazil for as long as I can remember. And that’s a long time. 
I’d rather win ugly every week than lose prettily every week as they have supposedly been doing since Adam was a boy. 

Agreed, but in a league where we are the favourites and our budget dwarfs the others it’s not that bad to ask for a bit more than what’s on offer. 

Pasquale for King

They are professionals. Results are what they are paid to get, especially this season. Why would they care about entertaining fans on tv? 

They would care if we were at the games, they’re getting an easy ride just now. Indicative of the whole current ethos of the club. 

After the Levein years which will go down in history as some of the most eye bleeding monotonous one dimensional shitshow masquerading itself as football I'll live with a 3-0 win despite a fairly low key 2nd half. 

Do I think everything is rosey, no, but 3 points 3 goals and move on. We start to lose more games and I'll worry a bit more, these players aren't going to change but we need to hope they've got enough to get us promoted then they can be on their way.

Hagar the Horrible

I have been reading through this thread and a lot of got points across this argument.  Yes we got 3 points regardless of how, job done…tick!  Second half performance was either good game management or it’s our actual default setting.  The Semi was the only game where we have had a shift put in for the whole game.

So have we improved as a team?  Gordon has been the difference so far.  But are we better than last season or are the teams we have played so far just so far worse than whom we played last season, St Mirren and the likes?  The Dundee game we started well and finished well, but there was a period where all it took was another Dundee goal and we would have crumbled…resigned to the past and we take the positives from that as the what-ifs did not happen.  However we needed to learn from it. Against the Pars they matched up to us but never landed a punch in the first half, we came out the second half lacklustre again and were 2 down before we started playing, we never came out the starting blocks again with a sprint. 

No fans is being used as an excuse but that has helped rangers no end while affected celtic,  but our inability to put in a shift for the whole game cannot be put on no fans.  Better teams will exploit us no end.  Good game management is about seeing out the last 10 minutes not thinking it’s won with an hour to play

Had we won against the pars we would be 5 points clear and waving see ya, the league would have been psychologically already over, clubs will have accepted defeat against us, but we have given out a slither of hope.  Hope is the first thing you have to kill off, In the end we damaged Dundee and look where they are now. 

We will win the league and yes both camps will accept job done, it does not matter how we get there, granted, but we don’t want to end up once again back at square one  We have two transfer windows to shore up weaknesses but it needs the management to shore up attitudes and we just don’t have anywhere the right one.

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Negatives “none”?

Boyce’s missing two penalties will further drain his confidence, and passing up the chance to seriously improve our goal difference are two surely?

:rofl: 

Crisis! Crisis! Crisis! 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Horatio Caine said:

I remember in the Burley era we used to have matches won by half time, with the second half being pretty much a non event.  I realise this team is nowhere near the level of the Burley team, but the principle is the same - kill the game off early on then manage the game thereafter.  Personally, like most on here, I'd far prefer to see them keeping it up for the second half and at least doubling the score.  However - it's still the three points.

Indeed, but that team was entertaining, not out passed and out pressed by a bottom of the league pt team of painters and plumbers for 10/15 minutes at home. 
What other games have we killed a game by half time?

Good teams go for the jugular, remember the 10 nil game?

Pasquale for King

Do we keep this thread going or start a new one for Saturday? 
I can’t remember playing a team two games in a row 🙈

40 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We managed the game second half.

We're 3 up, there's no point going hell for leather and potentially risk injury.

Seriously despair at times.

Quite correct and dropping off in the second half was no issue last night.

However our tendency to drift in and out of games has been going on for years and needs sorted if the team is to progress. Not sure if it is fitness or attitude, or maybe a combination of the two.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Mid 70s we beat Morton 3-0 at home on a Wed night in the League Cup then lost to them to a similar scoreline on the Saturday in a First Division fixture at Cappielaw. 

19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Like Martin, Sammon etc who knew they wouldn’t get the same money elsewhere? I hope you’re right though. 

Both eventually moved. Might need a little bit of financial motivation but if Damour for example doesn’t move in January and we continue to freeze him out by next summer he won’t have played any football for 15 months and will have been away from his family for 9 months. Career over 

20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Agreed, but in a league where we are the favourites and our budget dwarfs the others it’s not that bad to ask for a bit more than what’s on offer. 

Agreed but I can wait until either cup  finals or next summer for that. 

They would care if we were at the games, they’re getting an easy ride just now. Indicative of the whole current ethos of the club. 

Lack of crowds is an issue both for fans and players. Most of the Epl and EFL games that I have watched this season have been much poorer quality than usual. Atmosphere certainly has an effect on performance, there’s no getting away from it. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

And said fans must have watched us play them? 

No team in Scotland plays great football, Rangers are doing the best in that dept. They have at last look spent £7m and £3.5m on two players to help them do this. 

Most clubs outside the OF can only  hope to achieve effective, successful football. 

I also thought we scored 3 quality goals yesterday, very good play.

Many of the folk slating us also thought dunfermline played great, I'm not seeing that either. Dunfermline were disciplined and effective imo. 

Many have also said we played great stuff last time in the championship and that our midfield play is slow. 

For context, we ran with Prince, Gomis and Pallardo in the championship last time - speed merchants.... 

We also beat Alloa in the same fixture 3-0.

The good football thing being championed on here is just folk watching Liverpool and then thinking we can do it. 

15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, but that team was entertaining, not out passed and out pressed by a bottom of the league pt team of painters and plumbers for 10/15 minutes at home. 

“out pressed” ffs they had one shot on goal from 20 yards out in the entire match. It was as comprehensive a defeat as you could want. 

Also, Cowdenbeath had ten men and were historically a dreadful team that season, and we also didn’t score the first until almost half an hour into the match. And had three penalties. And we also scored five goals from outside the box. It was an anomaly. 

19 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I have been reading through this thread and a lot of got points across this argument.  Yes we got 3 points regardless of how, job done…tick!  Second half performance was either good game management or it’s our actual default setting.  The Semi was the only game where we have had a shift put in for the whole game.

So have we improved as a team?  Gordon has been the difference so far.  But are we better than last season or are the teams we have played so far just so far worse than whom we played last season, St Mirren and the likes?  The Dundee game we started well and finished well, but there was a period where all it took was another Dundee goal and we would have crumbled…resigned to the past and we take the positives from that as the what-ifs did not happen.  However we needed to learn from it. Against the Pars they matched up to us but never landed a punch in the first half, we came out the second half lacklustre again and were 2 down before we started playing, we never came out the starting blocks again with a sprint. 

No fans is being used as an excuse but that has helped rangers no end while affected celtic,  but our inability to put in a shift for the whole game cannot be put on no fans.  Better teams will exploit us no end.  Good game management is about seeing out the last 10 minutes not thinking it’s won with an hour to play

Had we won against the pars we would be 5 points clear and waving see ya, the league would have been psychologically already over, clubs will have accepted defeat against us, but we have given out a slither of hope.  Hope is the first thing you have to kill off, In the end we damaged Dundee and look where they are now. 

We will win the league and yes both camps will accept job done, it does not matter how we get there, granted, but we don’t want to end up once again back at square one  We have two transfer windows to shore up weaknesses but it needs the management to shore up attitudes and we just don’t have anywhere the right one.

Do we need to be better than last season to win this league? I wish we were but pretty sure we don’t need to be and tbh we haven’t invested much to make us better. 

Dundee? 
A lot of plumbers and painters are very good footballers. Ever heard of a guy called Ian Black? 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Stendelnator said:

“out pressed” ffs they had one shot on goal from 20 yards out in the entire match. It was as comprehensive a defeat as you could want. 

Also, Cowdenbeath had ten men and were historically a dreadful team that season, and we also didn’t score the first until almost half an hour into the match. And had three penalties. And we also scored five goals from outside the box. It was an anomaly. 

10-0  game being rolled out as a yard stick now... 

I think folk genuinely thought we'd be picking up  scores of 5-10 goals  every week. 

Absolutely clueless doesn't cover it. 

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I love double-headers 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Mid 70s we beat Morton 3-0 at home on a Wed night in the League Cup then lost to them to a similar scoreline on the Saturday in a First Division fixture at Cappielaw. 

I do love your trips down memory lane, when I hear guys in the pub doing it I call the Alzheimer’s abatement society. I always used to slag my dad for calling pubs by their old names, like Campbell’s for instance, now I do it 😆
So new thread?

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I do love your trips down memory lane, when I hear guys in the pub doing it I call the Alzheimer’s abatement society. I always used to slag my dad for calling pubs by their old names, like Campbell’s for instance, now I do it 😆
So new thread?

Thanks for the compliments. Us old guys have our uses  😄

New match new thread seems sensible to me. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Yes out pressed, just because they were poor with the ball has nothing to do with the fact they pressed extremely well until the 2nd goal killed the game. 
Alloa are bottom of the league, but seeing as you missed the point I will repeat it, good teams go for the jugular. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Thanks for the compliments. Us old guys have our uses  😄

New match new thread seems sensible to me. 

As much as I deny it I’m in with the old guys now, especially when I tell a needlessly long winded tale from the past that youngsters don’t want to hear 🙈

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

10-0  game being rolled out as a yard stick now... 

I think folk genuinely thought we'd be picking up  scores of 5-10 goals  every week. 

Absolutely clueless doesn't cover it. 

Glad you’ve accepted you’re clueless. 
As another one who always misses the point, good teams go for the jugular. 

Some ridiculous comments after the game last night. Usual folk using it as an excuse to tear into certain players and the manager. We played well first half and didn’t do much in the second half because we didn’t need to! Imagine moaning about a very comfortable 3-0 win. Unreal. 

32 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Very much this for me too. Last night was a perfect opportunity to get a couple of youngsters on.

3-0 win with no real tests of our GK so I can't complain. Boyce needs dropped to get his head right. No reason Wighton should be sitting on the bench at this moment. 

Last night was a stark reminder of why Robbie divides the support. The second half was incredibly boring but seriously, all that matters this season is getting out of this league. By any means possible. I'm hoping that promotion brings about a complete overhaul of the squad. We desperately need pace and someone in the middle who can run with the ball. I totally understand the frustration at the tippy tappy possession game we play. Winning is literally all that matters in this league. Anything other than promotion is doomsday.

Best post so far.  

51 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What did there passing and pressing for that ten minutes achieve ? 

A couple of easy cut out crosses. 

I remember the 10 nil game but I also remember 1-0 at home v RR. 

I also remember a fluke late goal away to Alloa to give us a victory that we scarcely deserved. 

There was also a 0-0 away to Dumbarton and a couple of awful performances against Hibs. 

We pushed our luck on occasion that season but still collected the points as I'm confident we will this season. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

What did there passing and pressing for that ten minutes achieve ? 

A couple of easy cut out crosses. 

I remember the 10 nil game but I also remember 1-0 at home v RR. 

I also remember a fluke late goal away to Alloa to give us a victory that we scarcely deserved. 

There was also a 0-0 away to Dumbarton and a couple of awful performances against Hibs. 

We pushed our luck on occasion that season but still collected the points as I'm confident we will this season. 

Yes all that’s true, who knows what would’ve happened if they had scored at that point. As I’ve said good teams don’t ease off and the 10 nil is an example of it. 
Ive no doubt we will go up but if we can’t play with a bit of style against a PT bottom of the league team who’s budget we dwarf I think it’s ok to criticise that. 

been here before
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Must have happened a few times im cups with games on Saturdays and replays on the Wednesday. 

Raith Rovers in the cup a few years ago under Cathro springs to mind.

Did we not play Motherwell in the cup then league a couple of years ago?

I actually think that in the last two games there has been very good aspects of our play. I agree with RN that against Dunfermline we passed the ball really well but didn't get in their faces enough. Last night   I thought we passed the ball really well (and with purpose) when we had it (apart from a few howlers from e.g. Popescu) and pressed much better higher up the park. Disappointed we didn't score another 2/3 in the second half but as someone has already said, we didn't need to.

Imperative we get Ginelly back asap.

The one thing that stood out a mile last night is that there is absolutely no pace in that team.

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I actually think that in the last two games there has been very good aspects of our play. I agree with RN that against Dunfermline we passed the ball really well but didn't get in their faces enough. Last night   I thought we passed the ball really well (and with purpose) when we had it (apart from a few howlers from e.g. Popescu) and pressed much better higher up the park. Disappointed we didn't score another 2/3 in the second half but as someone has already said, we didn't need to.

Did Robbie say that? The guy is a charlatan. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We could have any manager,  Klopp,  Bielsa,  Mourinho,  Pep. 

They would all be slated by the intellegencia

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, been here before said:

Must have happened a few times im cups with games on Saturdays and replays on the Wednesday. 

Raith Rovers in the cup a few years ago under Cathro springs to mind.

Did we not play Motherwell in the cup then league a couple of years ago?

Yeah wasn’t thinking about replays, quite possibly re the Motherwell game. 

46 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes all that’s true, who knows what would’ve happened if they had scored at that point. As I’ve said good teams don’t ease off and the 10 nil is an example of it. 
Ive no doubt we will go up but if we can’t play with a bit of style against a PT bottom of the league team who’s budget we dwarf I think it’s ok to criticise that. 

Agreed - but we're at the point now where  no matter how lacklustre the performances or how piss poor the quality of the opposition  is , no one really cares any more.  I don't know what's worse - the dismal football or the supine acceptance of it on here. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

We could have any manager,  Klopp,  Bielsa,  Mourinho,  Pep. 

They would all be slated by the intellegencia

Glad you accept your not part of it though 👍🏽👏🏾

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Agreed - but we're at the point now where  no matter how lacklustre the performances or how piss poor the quality of the opposition  is , no one really cares any more.  I don't know what's worse - the dismal football or the supine acceptance of it on here. 

I generally thinks there’s a split in the support, some will put up with crap performances and players that give 100% and some want more. 
The last few years have been demoralising, and the only real difference I’ve seen so far is the level we are playing at meaning we win games we would lose in the top league. 

Hagar the Horrible

I think if teams have a go at us we are better, but the last 2 games were good examples of why Robbie divides the support, last night 3-0 up we could afford to pass the ball about well  in our half, but against the pars we did the same at the second half, and it took us going 2 down before we even attepted to get the ball into the final third.   Last night there was so many opertunities to cross, but instead it was deemed safer to work it back to our back 4 and repeat ad-infinitem.  The player did not look bothered about the penalty miss.  WRONG, when you get the opertunity to inflict real punishment you punish.  There was so much wrong with that second half it bothers me for games in the future, when we are not 3 nill up on easy street

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I generally thinks there’s a split in the support, some will put up with crap performances and players that give 100% and some want more. 
The last few years have been demoralising, and the only real difference I’ve seen so far is the level we are playing at meaning we win games we would lose in the top league. 

To clarify - I didn't mean there's universal acceptance on here (there clearly isn't) but it's the usual bunch , who not only happy clap this pish every week but are vociferous in attacking anybody who doesn't have the same world view. 

I completely agree with your last sentence - struggling past some absolutely dire teams with a squad that is littered with so-called "internationals". 

7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

To clarify - I didn't mean there's universal acceptance on here (there clearly isn't) but it's the usual bunch , who not only happy clap this pish every week but are vociferous in attacking anybody who doesn't have the same world view. 

I completely agree with your last sentence - struggling past some absolutely dire teams with a squad that is littered with so-called "internationals". 

The only internationals we have are Gordon Smith and Boyce. The first two are our best two players and the 3rd is a quality player who is off form but has proved in the past how good he is.

With the exception of Harring and Kingsley and Ginley the rest of the squad are rubbish and no better than Dunfermline etc. Levein assembled a squad of absolute losers that we're stuck with. Of the other 'names' Halliday is nothing special, Naismith just isn't at it enough these days, Walker is slow, Halkett isn't great, Berra won't cut it at prem level. The rest wouldn't be a first pick at any club in the prem league. That's the reality.

Austin MacGlee
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent. Robbie and his footballing philosophy in the top league doesn't fill me with hope of exciting seasons and games at Tynie. It will be stable, comfortable and predictable (none of that is particularly negative before anyone starts their pish). His football is effective but it's never going to be edge of the seat stuff. Stendel was too far in the opposite direction when we really should've had a Robbie type in place to bring stability and arrest the decline. I don't want Robbie long-term (it saddens me to say that) because I want to be entertained. People will say that's "Hibs" but I want to be entertained and watch a winning team. I'm more than happy to see Hearts grind out wins and even draws in really tough games but I also want to see Hearts turn the screw and turn on the style in games where we're comfortable (it should never be one or the other, a good manager can see to it that both scenarios happen) like last night.

However, like I alluded to earlier in this post, for now Robbie brings a much needed safe pair of hands to a club that has been in turmoil since he left. I am fine with him building a foundation for us to grow and then have someone who can take us to the next level come in.

11 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

On paper Hearts have by far the strongest squad in the Championship and the result of the Dundee game provided a false sense of ability.  Since that game they have churned out poor performances against teams with limited squads of part-time players.  Both Arbroath and East Fife games were shocking but goals papered over the cracks.  Lack of goals is going to be the problem this season too. 

When 3 goals up, the pressure is off the defence but as the Pars game proved, our defence still is vulnerable when the strikers cannot put chances away.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent. Robbie and his footballing philosophy in the top league doesn't fill me with hope of exciting seasons and games at Tynie. It will be stable, comfortable and predictable (none of that is particularly negative before anyone starts their pish). His football is effective but it's never going to be edge of the seat stuff. Stendel was too far in the opposite direction when we really should've had a Robbie type in place to bring stability and arrest the decline. I don't want Robbie long-term (it saddens me to say that) because I want to be entertained. People will say that's "Hibs" but I want to be entertained and watch a winning team. I'm more than happy to see Hearts grind out wins and even draws in really tough games but I also want to see Hearts turn the screw and turn on the style in games where we're comfortable (it should never be one or the other, a good manager can see to it that both scenarios happen) like last night.

However, like I alluded to earlier in this post, for now Robbie brings a much needed safe pair of hands to a club that has been in turmoil since he left. I am fine with him building a foundation for us to grow and then have someone who can take us to the next level come in.

Spot on, as was your earlier post. I see him going to his next job around Xmas 2022. 

• davemclaren locked this topic