***Offishul Hearts v Alloa thread - 7pm KO***

upgotheheads

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

And said fans must have watched us play them? 

No team in Scotland plays great football, Rangers are doing the best in that dept. They have at last look spent £7m and £3.5m on two players to help them do this. 

Most clubs outside the OF can only  hope to achieve effective, successful football. 

I also thought we scored 3 quality goals yesterday, very good play.

Many of the folk slating us also thought dunfermline played great, I'm not seeing that either. Dunfermline were disciplined and effective imo. 

Many have also said we played great stuff last time in the championship and that our midfield play is slow. 

For context, we ran with Prince, Gomis and Pallardo in the championship last time - speed merchants.... 

We also beat Alloa in the same fixture 3-0.

The good football thing being championed on here is just folk watching Liverpool and then thinking we can do it. 

I totally agree with you re Dunfermline, I thought I was the only one that thought they got lucky, because on another day we could easily have scored 4 or 5 there, the better team lost. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• davemclaren

• Thomaso

28 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I generally thinks there’s a split in the support, some will put up with crap performances and players that give 100% and some want more. 
The last few years have been demoralising, and the only real difference I’ve seen so far is the level we are playing at meaning we win games we would lose in the top league. 

I think you have struck on a serious point. After last season I think many of us are just shell shocked and anxious. I know I enjoyed the break from football and the horrible feeling we had to endure from crap performance to the next crap performance. We just don't want to go back there, and every time we get a performance like the one at Dunfermline, or even Arbroath where we could easily have dropped points, there's an outbreak of anxiety.

Last season we were being beaten on a regular basis by players who weren't better than ours, just one's that worked harder and were more determined. Any return to that situation will make me a nervous wreck.

Austin MacGlee
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, as was your earlier post. I see him going to his next job around Xmas 2022. 

I would be absolutely fine with that assuming we have secured promotion and had a solid first season back. The only worry is if Budge would be doing the recruitment for the new manager. Her track record is appalling (Robbie excepted). I'd assume having our new CEO in and the FOH getting more involved would mean AB staying away from that type of decision. We have to appoint managers/head coaches who take us up a level from their predecessors.

17 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

The only internationals we have are Gordon Smith and Boyce. The first two are our best two players and the 3rd is a quality player who is off form but has proved in the past how good he is.

With the exception of Harring and Kingsley and Ginley the rest of the squad are rubbish and no better than Dunfermline etc. Levein assembled a squad of absolute losers that we're stuck with. Of the other 'names' Halliday is nothing special, Naismith just isn't at it enough these days, Walker is slow, Halkett isn't great, Berra won't cut it at prem level. The rest wouldn't be a first pick at any club in the prem league. That's the reality.

Sad but unfortunately true.  A team of athletic youngsters peppered with experienced defenders will prove difficult to win against.  I too have my doubts about Halliday, Halkett, Berra and Naismith.  My concerns is that there is no defenders currently in the reserves that show ability.  Those sent out on loan are nothing great.

Austin MacGlee
12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I think you have struck on a serious point. After last season I think many of us are just shell shocked and anxious. I know I enjoyed the break from football and the horrible feeling we had to endure from crap performance to the next crap performance. We just don't want to go back there, and every time we get a performance like the one at Dunfermline, or even Arbroath where we could easily have dropped points, there's an outbreak of anxiety.

Last season we were being beaten on a regular basis by players who weren't better than ours, just one's that worked harder and were more determined. Any return to that situation will make me a nervous wreck.

Correct, it's like PTSD. Last time we went down under completely different circumstances and the squad was full of academy players with some journeymen and experienced pros thrown in for balance, the fans were on a high from saving the club and we were riding a wave of positivity.

This squad is still littered with players who had us hovering near or actually at the bottom of the league all season last season. We've all been raging and depressed about them and the club for 18 months (and longer for some) so the tendency to react badly to losses/poor performances is understandable in my opinion. This squad and leadership aren't going to get the same understanding and sympathy from the fans as they did in 2014. They need to realise that and do more to overhaul the lingering depression that still crops up when we dip.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

And said fans must have watched us play them? 

No team in Scotland plays great football, Rangers are doing the best in that dept. They have at last look spent £7m and £3.5m on two players to help them do this. 

Most clubs outside the OF can only  hope to achieve effective, successful football. 

I also thought we scored 3 quality goals yesterday, very good play.

Many of the folk slating us also thought dunfermline played great, I'm not seeing that either. Dunfermline were disciplined and effective imo. 

Many have also said we played great stuff last time in the championship and that our midfield play is slow. 

For context, we ran with Prince, Gomis and Pallardo in the championship last time - speed merchants.... 

We also beat Alloa in the same fixture 3-0.

The good football thing being championed on here is just folk watching Liverpool and then thinking we can do it. 

It’s nothing to do with watching Liverpool and thinking we should play like that.  Even if that was a tongue in cheek comment, a lot of people on here have watched Hearts for years, decades. They aren’t kids. 

You don’t seem driven to want better? Results are there but people look at performances as an indicator to the future. Our squad will change ,no doubt, when we get back to the SPL but are you saying it’s impossible for Hearts to become better? Because we will have to. 

Look back at the Dundee game. Hardly world beating,  but refreshing, sharp, front foot football, very enjoyable. Almost a throw back to a “plenty in the tank to spare” type of Hearts performance . The problem is currently, this Hearts side seem to find it hard to replicate even coming close to that type of showing. The minute they hit a brick wall in terms of how the opponents set up, they toil to problem solve or find the appetite to overcome. A bit like the Dunfermline match.

I hope we never give up the fight to improve.  

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s nothing to do with watching Liverpool and thinking we should play like that.  Even if that was a tongue in cheek comment, a lot of people on here have watched Hearts for years, decades. They aren’t kids. 

You don’t seem driven to want better? Results are there but people look at performances as an indicator to the future. Our squad will change ,no doubt, when we get back to the SPL but are you saying it’s impossible for Hearts to become better? Because we will have to. 

Look back at the Dundee game. Hardly world beating,  but refreshing, sharp, front foot football, very enjoyable. Almost a throw back to a “plenty in the tank to spare” type of Hearts performance . The problem is currently, this Hearts side seem to find it hard to replicate even coming close to that type of showing. The minute they hit a brick wall in terms of how the opponents set up, they toil to problem solve or find the appetite to overcome. A bit like the Dunfermline match.

I hope we never give up the fight to improve.  

No one is  suggesting we give up the fight to improve. 

Calling everyone shite and having unrealistic expectations as many have  won't help fight anything. 

I always thought we'd lose 3/4 games over the season, dunfermline away is one that would fit that. 

Other teams will try to stop us and also play football, folk on here rarely consider that imo. 

We'll win the league. 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I totally agree with you re Dunfermline, I thought I was the only one that thought they got lucky, because on another day we could easily have scored 4 or 5 there, the better team lost. 

Agree. 

We never played to our best, but we weren't outplayed by any stretch, hit the bar twice, missed a 2v gk and Boyce missed a sitter. 

Scoring first will be critical in establishing the way the game goes, especially away from home. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Glad you’ve accepted you’re clueless. 
As another one who always misses the point, good teams go for the jugular. 

Nope, Good teams win games, consistently. 

👍

16 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

This is where one of main differences between Hearts and the OF are though. Hearts have a history of getting early leads, fans expect a cricket score then the game peters out. The OF would crack on and get more goals. Maybe because they're worried it to comes down to goal difference in the league but it's something I want to see from Hearts. 

Was talking with a Jambo work colleague today and said something similar to him. My point was more that if Hearts and Dunfermline end up with the same points then goal difference will decide on who is promoted and who isn't. That's why the old firm don't take the foot of the gas. We have lost two league titles on goal difference previously, against Kilmarnock ( ithink) in the 60s and against Dundee at Dens in the 80s. This is why it is vital to score as many as you can. 

It’s worth bearing in mind that the club have to attract as many PPV customers as they can at this time. The teams performances are not going to encourage some people to stump up cash when the goals are effectively the highlights, and people can watch them on social media a few hours after the game. 

Football is an entertainment business and people will pay cash if they feel they are being entertained. I’d suggest people start thinking a lot more about the product on offer, particularly when money is tight for some people.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It’s worth bearing in mind that the club have to attract as many PPV customers as they can at this time. The teams performances are not going to encourage some people to stump up cash when the goals are effectively the highlights, and people can watch them on social media a few hours after the game. 

Football is an entertainment business and people will pay cash if they feel they are being entertained. I’d suggest people start thinking a lot more about the product on offer, particularly when money is tight for some people.

I doubt many folk pay £18.50 to watch Hearts v Alloa for entertainment. It will be to see their team win. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I doubt many folk pay £18.50 to watch Hearts v Alloa for entertainment. It will be to see their team win. 

And that comment sums things up entirely.

8 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

football is a results business, always has been

3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

football is a results business, always has been

Well it’ll make sense for people not to pay £18.50 and just wait for the result.

If the result is all that matters why even waste any time watching the game.

I’m sure the club is generating loads of money on the strength of our Championship results.

wattie exploited
14 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

You remember it well as the highlights of it were played at half time, if they hadn’t you’d have had no recollection of it at all.

ahhaha  true :rifle:

wattie exploited
15 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

The football was that great we beat teams  like Alloa at home 3-0.

I remember it well. 

we played a lot better then  than what we have done so far :rifle:

wattie exploited
9 hours ago, Peakybunnet said:

That's because we had Gomis last time. he was the glue between a pretty meh defense and a decent attacking line. 

This time the midfield is misfiring and we are all hoping Haring will be the glue this time if he stays fit. 

not had a great midfield for years now :rifle:

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

If the result is all that matters why even waste any time watching the game.

We watch the game to see our team win, think most football fans would rather see substance over style, unless its hibs fans of course

As much as i want to see us swashbuckling our way to 10-0 wins every week, it isn't about just style.

It is about seeing a way of playing that will see us push on in the (we expect) SPFL next season and have us challenging for 3rd. We have the financial backing to do that.

The way we play, i just don;t see anything different from the usual struggles at home to the likes of Killie, Hamilton, St J, Motherwell etc. In fact, any well-organised team that is happy to sit in and hit us on the break because we are slow in the build up and lack ideas up front. Only the old firm, hibs and aberdeen really have a go and it is reflected in better results than expected against them.

Long term i just do not trust Robbie to be able to make that transition.

2 hours ago, Austin MacGlee said:

I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent. Robbie and his footballing philosophy in the top league doesn't fill me with hope of exciting seasons and games at Tynie. It will be stable, comfortable and predictable (none of that is particularly negative before anyone starts their pish). His football is effective but it's never going to be edge of the seat stuff. Stendel was too far in the opposite direction when we really should've had a Robbie type in place to bring stability and arrest the decline. I don't want Robbie long-term (it saddens me to say that) because I want to be entertained. People will say that's "Hibs" but I want to be entertained and watch a winning team. I'm more than happy to see Hearts grind out wins and even draws in really tough games but I also want to see Hearts turn the screw and turn on the style in games where we're comfortable (it should never be one or the other, a good manager can see to it that both scenarios happen) like last night.

However, like I alluded to earlier in this post, for now Robbie brings a much needed safe pair of hands to a club that has been in turmoil since he left. I am fine with him building a foundation for us to grow and then have someone who can take us to the next level come in.

How generous of you

To let him work with us, get us promoted and then to just step aside so you can play your football fantasies and move us upwards and onwards.

Truly a prince

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Agreed. 

Hopefully the business people at the club have a different opinion to you. 

The circumstances of this season are entirely different to any other. There is no overall all match experience, no pub before/after, no meeting with mates, no atmosphere within the ground, this season, for some people, is far more difficult to sell.  Couple that with some people’s finances not being in great shape and a deciding factor might just be value for money.

Ultimately the result of a game will be what it is whether someone watches it or not. For some people paying £18.50 to simply watch the team win isn’t justification enough for spending that money. Whether anyone likes it or not the ‘fair weather’ fan exists, and the club need those peoples money now more than ever.

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Long term i just do not trust Robbie to be able to make that transition.

He's already shown he can make the transition, last time we went up we made several signings and i expect us to do the same again

alwaysthereinspirit

Just watched the goals again on my phone.

The first two goals Roberts couldn’t be less interested in celebrating with team mates.

Dont know where he was for the third.

Things like that have bothered me for over 50 years.

Team mate my @$$.

Maybe he knew he was $#!te and felt guilty that he brings nothing to the team right now.

Needs to start giving a $#!t.

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes all that’s true, who knows what would’ve happened if they had scored at that point. As I’ve said good teams don’t ease off and the 10 nil is an example of it. 
Ive no doubt we will go up but if we can’t play with a bit of style against a PT bottom of the league team who’s budget we dwarf I think it’s ok to criticise that. 

Completely agree with the last paragraph.

Austin MacGlee
17 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

How generous of you

To let him work with us, get us promoted and then to just step aside so you can play your football fantasies and move us upwards and onwards.

Truly a prince

Did I say I wanted to take over as manager? Ya weirdo. 

Robbie Neilson is a good manager and I'm glad we have him. However, I don't believe he is the man to push us to the next level, he will give us stability and solid foundations (as he has proven over and over) and that is exactly what we need right now.

Will be delighted to be proved wrong obviously but I can't see it. 

19 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Hopefully the business people at the club have a different opinion to you. 

The circumstances of this season are entirely different to any other. There is no overall all match experience, no pub before/after, no meeting with mates, no atmosphere within the ground, this season, for some people, is far more difficult to sell.  Couple that with some people’s finances not being in great shape and a deciding factor might just be value for money.

Ultimately the result of a game will be what it is whether someone watches it or not. For some people paying £18.50 to simply watch the team win isn’t justification enough for spending that money. Whether anyone likes it or not the ‘fair weather’ fan exists, and the club need those peoples money now more than ever.

Fair weathered fans tend to be much more influenced by results than anything else, in my experience.   Only supporters of a club are likely to pay £18.50 for a Scottish Championship stream. 

31 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I expect EVERY single hearts player to be able to trap a ball. Is that to much to ask.

And to either take the ball on or pass it to a team mate, without being clobbered.  Time and time yet again we were caught in possession. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Absolutely, I didn’t miss games at all. I’m not even sure if I would put my name in the hat if we were able to fit the final for instance. I never really understood how lapsed Jambos stopped going to games, I think I do now. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Correct, it's like PTSD. Last time we went down under completely different circumstances and the squad was full of academy players with some journeymen and experienced pros thrown in for balance, the fans were on a high from saving the club and we were riding a wave of positivity.

This squad is still littered with players who had us hovering near or actually at the bottom of the league all season last season. We've all been raging and depressed about them and the club for 18 months (and longer for some) so the tendency to react badly to losses/poor performances is understandable in my opinion. This squad and leadership aren't going to get the same understanding and sympathy from the fans as they did in 2014. They need to realise that and do more to overhaul the lingering depression that still crops up when we dip.

Spot on. I understand fans that don’t see as a big deal either and I have no real beef with them about it.

It would be interesting to see if more folk are coming on here to vent their feelings during the pandemic too. I know for me it’s filled a big part of the hole left by not working.

Sorry for that folks ✋🏽🤚🏻

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

We watch the game to see our team win, think most football fans would rather see substance over style, unless its hibs fans of course

Agree, but I'd like a wee bit more energy and commitment to go with the substance.  As for the second half last night I've had more excitement and interest watching paint dry.  That won't bring back the fans that not only want to see a winning team but one that pushes to the last minute.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I doubt many folk pay £18.50 to watch Hearts v Alloa for entertainment. 

FTFY 😎

Pasquale for King
Just now, davemclaren said:

Can’t disagree. 😄

We must get half the money though like we did with East Fife? 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

On Saturday we will get half the money after expenses. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

On Saturday we will get half the money after expenses. 

I will probably be tempted 🙈🔫

6 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

:rofl: 

Crisis! Crisis! Crisis! 

stupid post! Stupid post! Stupid post!

😂

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

FTFY 😎

So at what point do we associate sport with entertainment?

Of course I watched the game primarily in the hope that we would win. But I also hoped that we would be up for it and significantly increase our goal difference against a part time team, at home. 

This issue is splitting our support..........and I would hope that the "**** how we played, we won" brigade (and I can see their point) doe not consider others to be any more committed to Hearts than they are. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I paid £18:50 to watch Hearts.

I was entertained in the first half - in the second half not so much.

alwaysthereinspirit
50 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

And to either take the ball on or pass it to a team mate, without being clobbered.  Time and time yet again we were caught in possession. 

Franz Halkettbaur is the worst at that.

Pasquale for King
Just now, davemclaren said:

Me too. I was for the East Fife game. 

Me too, don’t tell anyone as my place as head of the boycott group might be in jeopardy 🤫

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Me too, don’t tell anyone as my place as head of the boycott group might be in jeopardy 🤫

Luckily no-one likes me anyway. 😎

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

So at what point do we associate sport with entertainment?

Of course I watched the game primarily in the hope that we would win. But I also hoped that we would be up for it and significantly increase our goal difference against a part time team, at home. 

This issue is splitting our support..........and I would hope that the "**** how we played, we won" brigade (and I can see their point) doe not consider others to be any more committed to Hearts than they are. 

It’s supposed to be entertainment, but it’s not been that great since we were last in the Championship. 
No doubt us pant wetters are not considered to be “Real Hearts fans”. 

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Luckily no-one likes me anyway. 😎

You say it like it’s a bad thing 🤔?

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s supposed to be entertainment, but it’s not been that great since we were last in the Championship. 
No doubt us pant wetters are not considered to be “Real Hearts fans”. 

So when Robbie left us second in the Premier League what was leading up to that was 'pants' ?...third the season before after promotion from the Championship

Sometimes you just shake your head....then you realise that those idiots and their banner are still hanging around

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Glad you accept your not part of it though 👍🏽👏🏾

:)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

We don't need it Alloa do, with help from FM we can bury a few yet

• davemclaren locked this topic