***Official East Fife v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

39 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Frear looks like a lost laddie at the moment. Seen little flashes of what he can do but I suspect he'll take a while to show any level of consistency.

Berra causes us problems as he can't pass, teams isolate him on the ball and invariably we lose possession with one of his trade mark hoofs. He can defend better than Popescu and possibly Halkett but I'm not sure he can fit into Neilsons style of play.

I don’t think it helps the team that Christophe is now limited. Not just in style, but in it’s mentality.  Will the team get nervy or irritable as the opposition play to that area against us most of the time?  And I’m on about when we play much stronger teams.

While there’s no denying CB knows how to defend, I think it’s simply his body not being able to match the brain now.  It may not be what he wants but he’s possibly just becoming cover.  A man to bring on when we are under a bit pressure,  trying to hold a lead, and he’s there to defend the box as the kitchen sink is being thrown at us?  

Long term, I’d hazard a guess it’s over in respect of being a regular.  

Edited by Debut 4

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• neilnunb

• GinRummy

• sadj

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

I don’t think it helps the team that Christophe is now limited. Not just in style, but in it’s mentality.  Will the team get nervy or irritable as the opposition play to that area against us most of the time?  And I’m on about when we play much stronger teams.

While there’s no denying CB knows how to defend, I think it’s simple his body not being able to match the brain now.  It may not be what he wants but he’s possibly just becoming cover.  A man to bring on when we are under a bit pressure,  trying to hold a lead, and he’s there to defend the box as the kitchen sink is being thrown at us?  

CB wont be a regular this season. He knows it too and so do the club.

I should imagine Christophe will be concentrating alot on his coaching badges.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

👍🏻  

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It's his first game back from injury!! 

Just now, Buccobruce said:

It's his first game back from injury!! 

He was showing signs of regression well before his injury. He wont be a regular first team player this season.

Captain Sausage
27 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Doom and Gloom?  

Not really. Just reality. Feel free to discuss any points you think are incorrect. 

Hans von Luck

Its all about winning the Championship, Robbie knows that another skip will be required at the end of this season and perhaps 5-6 new recruits for the SPL next season.

Some on here need to take a chill pill, we may have a few inept performers however we have more than enough to win this league.

A_A wehatethehibs

FFS the reserves are all not as good as the regulars, and 35 year old Berra who’s on the brink of retirement isn’t as good as he used to be! Questions need asked, this is unacceptable and not good enough! Anybody got the number for plane hire! 

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, Hans von Luck said:

Its all about winning the Championship, Robbie knows that another skip will be required at the end of this season and perhaps 5-6 new recruits for the SPL next season.

Some on here need to take a chill pill, we may have a few inept performers however we have more than enough to win this league.

I agree. My points were around how poor the reserves are. The first team will skoosh the league. And 5-6 feels about right for next season. Quality over quantity. 

1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

FFS the reserves are all not as good as the regulars, and 35 year old Berra who’s on the brink of retirement isn’t as good as he used to be! Questions need asked, this is unacceptable and not good enough! Anybody got the number for plane hire! 

I don’t think anyone is saying that. It feels like a crime on here just to state that our reserves are shite. It’s not exactly rocket science, but because it’s negative you get a bunch of people diving on you for it. 

Our first team is a solid premier league team, look at the Hibs result. 

Our reserves are a mid-level championship team at best. All people are saying is that this is the case. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Captain Sausage said:

I agree. My points were around how poor the reserves are. The first team will skoosh the league. And 5-6 feels about right for next season. Quality over quantity. 

I don’t think anyone is saying that. It feels like a crime on here just to state that our reserves are shite. It’s not exactly rocket science, but because it’s negative you get a bunch of people diving on you for it. 

Our reserves are a mid-level championship team at best. All people are saying is that this is the case. 

If you look at the thread some folk clearly are. Abusive language, insults, frothing and seething toward Berra, Frear and others when there is no need. 

The reserves have rotated in, done their jobs, executed a game plan and won the game. Pats on the back all round. End of 

Did any of the fringe players stake a claim for first 11 inclusion last night - No. Irving possibly closest, scored good goal but gave away possession at their first goal, frequently went backwards and a few times passed the ball then stood watching, no hunger or fight! As many have said job was done but think confirmed we have to improve our squad looking ahead. 

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If you look at the thread some folk clearly are. Abusive language, insults, frothing and seething toward Berra, Frear and others when there is no need. 

The reserves have rotated in, done their jobs, executed a game plan and won the game. Pats on the back all round. End of 

Maybe I’ve missed some posts - agree it’s out of order for that. 

What’s interesting is that many posters defending these players would be all over them had East Fife not missed an open goal. It’s the kickback way. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Maybe I’ve missed some posts - agree it’s out of order for that. 

What’s interesting is that many posters defending these players would be all over them had East Fife not missed an open goal. It’s the kickback way. 

It’s the football way. Win and a lot of sins are forgiven and forgotten...

Gordon Ramsay
17 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

At the end of the day we have won every game so I can understand why some people are reluctant to criticise. 

For me, whilst we have won every game, the peformances have been pretty average. Decent first 30 mins vs Dundee and turned it on in flashes in other games. 

Would like to see us up our peformance level in the coming games. More consistency, clearer idea of what kind of team we are, hopefully it will start to come together. 

Last night, bar first couple mins, was terrible. I know they are mainly back up players but at times it looked like they'd just met each other before kick off. Hopefully a lot of these players will be gone in the summer cause they are not Premier League, barely Championship standard. 

11 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Brandon is far too erratic.  Despite his energy, he’s just not maturing into a competent full back.  The gulf between him and Smith is too big. 

I haven’t given up hope on Henderson.  I rate the lad, he has something about him.  Just think he had an off night tonight.

Brandon is 22 now so I'm not sure we'll see him progress much more.  Henderson is 20 so he could progress but he doesn't seem to get into the kind of positions where he can really be a danger to the opposition. He's tidy on the ball though, maybe operating too much in his comfort zone.  

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

While there’s no denying CB knows how to defend, I think it’s simply his body not being able to match the brain now.  It may not be what he wants but he’s possibly just becoming cover.  A man to bring on when we are under a bit pressure,  trying to hold a lead, and he’s there to defend the box as the kitchen sink is being thrown at us?  

Yeah I agree, not a bad option though if teams are shelling balls into the box pushing for a goal in the last 10/15 mins of the game.

He's was the centre half equivalent of a penalty box striker, always in the right place, great player for us and perhaps fitting his last season will see him lift the league trophy and hopefully more.

highlandjambo3

To summarise last nights performances with my professional expert opinion, two main things stand out for me:

1.  We were pish.

2.  We were lucky.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Berra was rotten. If you disagree then I’m sorry but you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. How can you play a possession based game when one of your centre backs keeps hoofing the ball away. There is a reason Stendel punted him. 

Going by your logic, Stendel is a better judge than you or I so you must be wrong. 

On Frear, he is just so passive. He doesn’t offer anything different to what we have and he’s not as good as what we have. Neilson wanted him at Utd...so what? He also signed Osman Sow. 

It was Berras first game in 7 months. Give the guy a bit time and remember he'll Likley be back up. 

Stendel, although I liked him taken us from 2nd bottom to bottom so unsure in regards to Hearts he was the best judge of the players required. 

Frear is just here, give the guy a chance before completely rubbishing him and writing him off.

Also, remember we won the game, our 8th in a row under Robbie. 

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

To summarise last nights performances with my professional expert opinion, two main things stand out for me:

1.  We were pish.

2.  We were lucky.

2 things stood out for me

1 we won the game

2 we qualified from the group, seeded. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

1 we won the game

That’s where my happyclapping head is. 

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It was Berras first game in 7 months. Give the guy a bit time and remember he'll Likley be back up. 

Stendel, although I liked him taken us from 2nd bottom to bottom so unsure in regards to Hearts he was the best judge of the players required. 

Frear is just here, give the guy a chance before completely rubbishing him and writing him off.

Also, remember we won the game, our 8th in a row under Robbie. 

First game in 7 months and picked up where he left off. Hoofing the ball away and losing possession time and again. He is imperious in the air, but his lack of pace post-hamstring tear vs Celtic means he gets caught under the ball and concedes goals like the second last night. 

The Stendel point was just emphasising how poor the OPs point was. If I can’t challenge Neilson on his opinion, the poster similarly can’t challenge Stendel. 

WRT Frear, he has done nothing of note in 5 appearances. You’d expect to see at least glimpses of what he can offer. I haven’t seen anything yet. The whole thing re: giving a player time to settle is fair enough, but he’s a footballer here to play football. Something he has, so far, failed to do. 

As I’ve said previously, really impressed with Neilsons start to the season and I hope it continues indefinitely!

It can help to show your limitations early in the season. 

I think the coaching staff know fully that the team needs to improve to beat the likes of Dunfermline consistently.

Edited by Mikey1874

30 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

1.  We were pish.

2.  We were lucky.

and they were clueless missing an open goal 8 yards out.

4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

It's like you secretly hoped they'd scored it to give you something tangible to bumb your gums about. 

1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

It's like you secretly hoped they'd scored it to give you something tangible to bumb your gums about. 

deary me.😂

Niemi’s gloves
2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Either you have a really odd idea of what constitutes “shite” or your post is crazily inconsistent. If our reserves are anything like a mid-level championship team then they are not “shite”. Do you think that a team playing in the championship should have a reserve team that is premier league standard? And anyway, the real issue is whether one or two reserve players can come into the first team when needed without seriously undermining the standard. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

1 we won the game

Case of glaff half full and glass completely empty for some.

been here before
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

1.  We were pish.

2.  We were lucky.

Pish and lucky or good and unlucky.

Ill take the former.

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Either you have a really odd idea of what constitutes “shite” or your post is crazily inconsistent. If our reserves are anything like a mid-level championship team then they are not “shite”. Do you think that a team playing in the championship should have a reserve team that is premier league standard? And anyway, the real issue is whether one or two reserve players can come into the first team when needed without seriously undermining the standard. 

Eh? We are Heart of Midlothian. Players of a mid-championship level are simply not good enough. Instead of having 15/16 mediocre players, why not have 6/7 quality premiership players who can challenge our starting line up. The mediocrity is what got us into this mess. 

The whole point is that these players are not able to come in when needed and perform with the exception of Lee, Wighton and Irving.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Yip, shite players will do that. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

First game in 7 months and picked up where he left off. Hoofing the ball away and losing possession time and again. He is imperious in the air, but his lack of pace post-hamstring tear vs Celtic means he gets caught under the ball and concedes goals like the second last night. 

The Stendel point was just emphasising how poor the OPs point was. If I can’t challenge Neilson on his opinion, the poster similarly can’t challenge Stendel. 

WRT Frear, he has done nothing of note in 5 appearances. You’d expect to see at least glimpses of what he can offer. I haven’t seen anything yet. The whole thing re: giving a player time to settle is fair enough, but he’s a footballer here to play football. Something he has, so far, failed to do. 

As I’ve said previously, really impressed with Neilsons start to the season and I hope it continues indefinitely!

As I said, first game in 7 months and he is Likley back up. 

My point in regards to Hearts was that Robbies opinion holds far more weight than Stendels, it's a poor comparison. 

Frear has been poor. No need to rip the guy tho and write him off completely imo. I agree tho, the signs are not promising. 

That is what is Important! 

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, shite players will do that. 

That was my point, was lost on some, not difficult to be honest.😕

A_A wehatethehibs
3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Brandon is 22 now so I'm not sure we'll see him progress much more.  Henderson is 20 so he could progress but he doesn't seem to get into the kind of positions where he can really be a danger to the opposition. He's tidy on the ball though, maybe operating too much in his comfort zone.  

Hendersons problem is, he’s fit, he’s strong, he’s generally aware and switched on, fast enough, but he’s got absolutely not the faintest clue where the goal is or how to worry defenders. Seems a bit too nice at times. Think someone needs to install a nastier streak in the boy, was hoping Lee McCulloch is on the case but no signs yet 

As for Brandon, for me the new Jordan McGhee. No chance at Hearts

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

That was my point, was lost on some, not difficult to be honest.😕

That's why we played a largely reserve side tho. 

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Eh? We are Heart of Midlothian. Players of a mid-championship level are simply not good enough. Instead of having 15/16 mediocre players, why not have 6/7 quality premiership players who can challenge our starting line up. The mediocrity is what got us into this mess. 

The whole point is that these players are not able to come in when needed and perform with the exception of Lee, Wighton and Irving.

No team in the world can replace 6/7 players and be the same team. 

We're in our 2nd sc final having beat, according to some on here a very good hibs team. 

We've won all our league games. 

We've qualified, seeded from the the lc group stage for the first time since I remember, maybe 5/6  years?

Folk need to recognise the fact we haven't in the past blown away lower league teams regularly and we won't in the future. 

The other teams unfortunately try to stop that from happening, something that escapes many on here. 

I wonder if folk that think we should be scudding every  team by 4/5goals because of the finances will also be OK with celtic smashing 5/6 past us on the same principle? 

Or would they be crying out for battle, organisation and Heart, if so that applies when we play lesser teams but in reverse. 

It's a strange thing, folk must have watched us and Scottish football and in general just football and must have a better understanding of how football works, game to game and over a season. 

A player who caught my eye last night was Ryan Wallace. He never quite made the grade with us 10 years ago, but when you see his record in the lower leagues you might wonder why. I've seen him playing a couple of times during that period and he always looked a level above the teams he was playing with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Wallace_(footballer)

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

No team in the world can replace 6/7 players and be the same team. 

We're in our 2nd sc final having beat, according to some on here a very good hibs team. 

We've won all our league games. 

We've qualified, seeded from the the lc group stage for the first time since I remember, maybe 5/6  years?

Folk need to recognise the fact we haven't in the past blown away lower league teams regularly and we won't in the future. 

The other teams unfortunately try to stop that from happening, something that escapes many on here. 

I wonder if folk that think we should be scudding every  team by 4/5goals because of the finances will also be OK with celtic smashing 5/6 past us on the same principle? 

Or would they be crying out for battle, organisation and Heart, if so that applies when we play lesser teams but in reverse. 

It's a strange thing, folk must have watched us and Scottish football and in general just football and must have a better understanding of how football works, game to game and over a season. 

Great post.

I still want us to put 5 past every championship club this season though and will reserve the right to moan when we don't.

1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

Great post.

I still want us to put 5 past every championship club this season though and will reserve the right to moan when we don't.

Quite right Davie. As good a post as it was, I've reported SRB to mods.

Not what we need or want on this board, that kind of clarity breaking out.

Promotion is the aim and really the only thing this season

If that is achieved the Robbie can state job done

Given this seasons budget we have signed what we can afford and not what we need in the Premiership

Many of the squad will be out of contract in Summer 2021 and changes will be forthcoming with a view to competing at the top end of the Premiership

In the meantime we will be making judgement on many of the squad especially the younger players who we'd hope to sign new contracts and the rest will have been given a chance before we release them.

In the circumstances of Covid, relegation, lack of funding (in relative terms), the thinking has generally to be short term but if promoted or even if it seems likely we will be moves will be made for players including those out of contract at other clubs who may not have the backing we can draw upon or find the wages they delayed/deferred now have to be paid

Of course a cup win is not to be sniffed at and if fans can return in the new year it may mean a bit to the club financially as well but promotion is the key to progress and improvement.

5 hours ago, Newton51 said:

I would disagree with most of your points but signing frear and keeping Moore and Henderson whilst we have let Morrison go doesn’t make sense. Morrison scored another 2 last night and showed more potential than any of those players doesn’t make sense.

Morrison like so many players that've came through our youth system has found his level. The majority that we produce have careers in lower leagues. They reach a certain level and development stops at Hearts. We've barely made much money in transfers over the last few years from most of them, the whole idea of a youth system. Matters not a jot that he scored two goals last night, he couldn't score in the Premier or even make regular decent crosses into the box, always having to turn back on himself and passing backwards or side-wards. Moore was looking promising under Stendel, now he's back to square one. Henderson looks like just another player we've produced for lower league teams and both will likely drop down in their career. Add in Cochrane and McDonald to the ever growing list as well.

Never understood the Frear signing. Is one or two good games for Motherwell a few years back all it takes to attract Hearts these days? If it is and that's the standard we're setting ourselves then we are all in for many years of disappointment to come. 

The game last night, disappointing. Taking away the two goals we got before half the players had even touched the ball we (including time added on at the end) had an almost full 90 minutes still to go. Only one more goal scored is pretty pathetic, especially as they scored two and i was told had a penalty claim or two turned down and a couple more chances. What was that all about? Only one more goal? Not expecting to go out and win 6/7-0 or whatever but the game was there to be controlled. Berra being back won't have helped with his famous punt up the park hoof-ball speciality but even so, i don't think it's too much of an ask to get another 2/3 goals within a 90 minute period against that level of player. Least we won, just.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

Great post.

I want us to score 7 v every team! 

Your type of loser mentality will not be tolerated 😉

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

A player who caught my eye last night was Ryan Wallace. He never quite made the grade with us 10 years ago, but when you see his record in the lower leagues you might wonder why. I've seen him playing a couple of times during that period and he always looked a level above the teams he was playing with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Wallace_(footballer)

He was decent. 

Went past a few players and decent speed of thought. 

I think many players don't make it because of mentality rather than technical ability across football. 

Stepping up to play in front of 18k is different to playing in front of a few hundred,  as is stepping up from 18k crowds to bigger crowds and expectarions at other clubs. 

Some players relish it, others don't. 

As I've gotten older, more and more I've realised football, in fact maybe even life is about mentality and resilience over technical skills! 

6 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Not really. Just reality. Feel free to discuss any points you think are incorrect. 

Doom and Gloom is not reality as far as Hearts are concerned right now.  That's why I questioned it.   

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Morrison like so many players that've came through our youth system has found his level. The majority that we produce have careers in lower leagues. They reach a certain level and development stops at Hearts. We've barely made much money in transfers over the last few years from most of them, the whole idea of a youth system. Matters not a jot that he scored two goals last night, he couldn't score in the Premier or even make regular decent crosses into the box, always having to turn back on himself and passing backwards or side-wards. Moore was looking promising under Stendel, now he's back to square one. Henderson looks like just another player we've produced for lower league teams and both will likely drop down in their career. Add in Cochrane and McDonald to the ever growing list as well.

Never understood the Frear signing. Is one or two good games for Motherwell a few years back all it takes to attract Hearts these days? If it is and that's the standard we're setting ourselves then we are all in for many years of disappointment to come. 

The game last night, disappointing. Taking away the two goals we got before half the players had even touched the ball we (including time added on at the end) had an almost full 90 minutes still to go. Only one more goal scored is pretty pathetic, especially as they scored two and i was told had a penalty claim or two turned down and a couple more chances. What was that all about? Only one more goal? Not expecting to go out and win 6/7-0 or whatever but the game was there to be controlled. Berra being back won't have helped with his famous punt up the park hoof-ball speciality but even so, i don't think it's too much of an ask to get another 2/3 goals within a 90 minute period against that level of player. Least we won, just.

You've got a lengthy opinion on the game for someone who never even watched it. 

Not saying you are wrong but to have such a strong opinion on the performance on a game you never watched is a new one on me. 

Also our net income for transfer fees is OK over the last 5 years, we haven't had that 1 big sale but we must have taken in around £3.5m give or take. 

Be interesting to see it compared to Aberdeen : hibs/ killie/ Utd/ St Johnstone and Motherwell. 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You've got a lengthy opinion on the game for someone who never even watched it. 

Not saying you are wrong but to have such a strong opinion on the performance on a game you never watched is a new one on me. 

Also our net income for transfer fees is OK over the last 5 years, we haven't had that 1 big sale but we must have taken in around £3.5m give or take. 

Be interesting to see it compared to Aberdeen : hibs/ killie/ Utd/ St Johnstone and Motherwell

Motherwell have received getting on for £5m in 2020 from the sales of Scott and Turnbull. That's the sort of business we should be doing