• Mikey1874

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Maroon Sailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Interesting….. but not very!!

Some great pubs at Mile End! This wasn’t one! Security followed me in and said, “this isn’t your sort of pub”, I replied, “I’ll have a beer then I’ll decide if it is”!!

A99BC87D-7F9C-4BEB-9184-F13CDF6575F6.jpeg

😂 Where and when was that? 

Seen lots close and turn into bookies in the time I was there

9 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Far from it.

Newhams Labour council was led by Robin Wales at the time and the award process was very much run by his council. The Tories and that clown Coe/the Olympic Park Legacy Company/London Legacy Development Corporation (whichever iteration) were actually determined that the stadium wasn't going to a football club and the plan was to dismantle most of it and turn it into a 25k athletics ground. Olympic legacy was at the top of their agenda for it's new life. Before the end interested parties were invited to bid on it to buy. West Ham and Spurs bid, and there might've been others along with a mob that wanted to create an F1 track around it. 

Spurs wanted to flatten it and build a brand new stadium in its place with no running track. Basically, they just wanted the land next to the insane transport links. West Ham's bid was more sympathetic to British athletics although they were also asking for £40m to help convert it for footballing purposes.

The decision to award it was appealed by Spurs and those that awarded it to West Ham shit the bed. They then retracted and tendered for lease, which West Ham inevitably won.

I'm not a fan of the stadium but there are a few points that need to be made.

They pay £2.5m per year (was initially £1m) for 20-30 days use of that place. That that sounds quite a lot. 

The devil is obviously in the detail. They don't pay stewarding, they don't pay running costs. They however, only get 50% of catering profits. They get nothing of the first £4m of naming rights that the landlord has failed miserably to sell.

It's not West Ham's fault that they are serious businessmen and were negotiating with career polititians that don't know their arse from their elbow. It's not West Ham's fault that it costs over £8m pa to move the retractable seating. It's not West Ham's fault the stadium was built with no foresight on its future.

Edit: posh barristers from leafy suburbs? You've clearly never been to Whitechapel, Stepney Green or Mile End. Even then, most West Ham can't afford to live there and are in shitholes like Grays, Chafford Hundred, Romford, Barking, Dagenham....

Westfield got a free stadium and 20m a year towards up keep and your still moaning. They got it by greasing the fat ***** fingers of Boris. What did the UK tax payer get? What does the London tax payer get now? Nothing.

I've worked and lived in all the areas you talk about and currently work in Newham. What is your point Tory boy? You've been rebranded Westfield City Franchise. Get over it.

6 hours ago, IronJambo said:

😂 Where and when was that? 

Seen lots close and turn into bookies in the time I was there

The Little Driver - Monday 10:30pm! Worst pub in Mile End! Coborn, Morgan Arms, Lord Tredegar, Victoria all better, unfortunately The Palm Tree 🌴 was not open late afternoon on this occasion!

You need to change your name to;

‘AluminiumJambo’ …..

I’ve never seen so many aluminium walking sticks and zimmer frames at a match and the wrinkly users wearing Stone Island 😂 

3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Westfield got a free stadium and 20m a year towards up keep and your still moaning. They got it by greasing the fat ***** fingers of Boris. What did the UK tax payer get? What does the London tax payer get now? Nothing.

I've worked and lived in all the areas you talk about and currently work in Newham. What is your point Tory boy? You've been rebranded Westfield City Franchise. Get over it.

There's nothing Tory about Newham council 😂

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

The Little Driver - Monday 10:30pm! Worst pub in Mile End! Coborn, Morgan Arms, Lord Tredegar, Victoria all better, unfortunately The Palm Tree 🌴 was not open late afternoon on this occasion!

You need to change your name to;

‘AluminiumJambo’ …..

I’ve never seen so many aluminium walking sticks and zimmer frames at a match and the wrinkly users wearing Stone Island 😂 

The Palm Tree's awful! They're very proud that they were the only building in the area not to be flattened in the blitz but they forgot to decorate it or even put in sanitary toilets since. Don't even think there's a shitter in the men's if I remember correctly.

41 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

The Palm Tree's awful! They're very proud that they were the only building in the area not to be flattened in the blitz but they forgot to decorate it or even put in sanitary toilets since. Don't even think there's a shitter in the men's if I remember correctly.

Used to drink in the Denmark Arms (nr East Ham Tube station) when going to see Palace at West Ham. Loved going to the Boleyn Ground - great atmosphere and we did quite well there over the years. Got tickets for the West Ham - Palace game tomorrow. Can't say I'm looking forward to it given the current form of both teams! 😄

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

🌴 The Palm Tree is a unique experience, time has stood still! Unchanged since the 1940s! Exception, they have adopted decimal currency! 🏝 

94FCF9E1-156F-49C5-A1A2-45236C7C4C01.jpeg

2 hours ago, EagleJambo said:

Used to drink in the Denmark Arms (nr East Ham Tube station) when going to see Palace at West Ham. Loved going to the Boleyn Ground - great atmosphere and we did quite well there over the years. Got tickets for the West Ham - Palace game tomorrow. Can't say I'm looking forward to it given the current form of both teams! 😄

Black Lion (once owned by Bobby Moore) at Plaistow was our pub of choice for WHUFC away!

Anerley Arms (Palace pub of choice for last 5 years or so) soon! Perfect location (almost on the platform) and 1 stop from Norwood!

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Black Lion (once owned by Bobby Moore) at Plaistow was our pub of choice for WHUFC away!

Anerley Arms (Palace pub of choice for last 5 years or so) soon! Perfect location (almost on the platform) and 1 stop from Norwood!

Enjoy (the pub that is - not the game!). Not been to that pub. We drink in the Shelverdine Goathouse on Norwood High Street (though that is a Palace pub) or in the ground. It is certainly good to be back after 18 months away from the fitba' and the pubs!

55 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

🌴 The Palm Tree is a unique experience, time has stood still! Unchanged since the 1940s! Exception, they have adopted decimal currency! 🏝 

94FCF9E1-156F-49C5-A1A2-45236C7C4C01.jpeg

Sadly their beer taps and fridges are a poor selection which lets them down even more than the toilets. They make an effort with live entertainment, I'll give them that. If you want a decent pint you'll need to go elsewhere.

Edit: there was a decent TV show called Save Me that featured the Palm Tree in pretty much every episode, inside and out. It used to make me smile

MV5BNzljODAwZTAtMjcxYi00MDIyLWIwNjMtNWE4ZDg3MDZiMTg1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI5OTk3NDY5._V1_.jpg

save-me-5.jpg

Edited by IronJambo

3 hours ago, EagleJambo said:

Was two tough, close matches last season. BTTS at the bookies is a no brainer.

Unknown user
18 hours ago, IronJambo said:

They pay £2.5m per year (was initially £1m) for 20-30 days use of that place. That that sounds quite a lot. 

Does it aye? No maintenance, no staff costs, no upgrade costs. The club will earn 100 million+ in EPL prize money alone. 

Is it a lot? Did the taxpayer get a good deal for that very, very expensive real estate?

40 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Does it aye? No maintenance, no staff costs, no upgrade costs. The club will earn 100 million+ in EPL prize money alone. 

Is it a lot? Did the taxpayer get a good deal for that very, very expensive real estate?

Poor negotiations aren't West Ham's fault. As shan as it is, the taxpayer gets more than what they would if West Ham weren't there. It's also not their fault the sale fell through. The tax payer would've been off the hook if they'd been allowed to buy it like they wanted but don't let things like that get in the way of your anger. 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Poor negotiations aren't West Ham's fault. As shan as it is, the taxpayer gets more than what they would if West Ham weren't there. It's also not their fault the sale fell through. The tax payer would've been off the hook if they'd been allowed to buy it like they wanted but don't let things like that get in the way of your anger. 

Who's angry?

I'm just saying, a lot my absolute hole

Edited by Smithee

Firstly what's done is done and West Ham got a fantastic deal for the stadium

There is no doubt the authorities and essentially the tax payer got the wrong end of the deal

You can't blame the clubs current owners for striking a good deal for the club and of course themselves........plenty of times local councils etc have struck poor commercial deals with property companies for example.

Assuming of course no illegal activities to seal the deal

The recent takeover attempt highlighted just where more money could be made if certain local conditions could be over ridden or set aside and that is what makes them an attractive proposition as well in terms of making money.

You'd like to think lessons will have been learnt before changes are made or agreed

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Who's angry?

I'm just saying, a lot my absolute hole

Based on 25 matches per season there that's £100,000 just to borrow the place for the day. That sounds like quite a lot and EPL prize money has squat to do with it. If they play more than 25 matches then they pay £100,000 per extra match.  

You have to remember they're just tenants and that stadium is free for the landlord to do what they want with for the other 340 days of the year. How many of those days you reckon they could rent it for £100k?

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Based on 25 matches per season there that's £100,000 just to borrow the place for the day. That sounds like quite a lot and EPL prize money has squat to do with it. If they play more than 25 matches then they pay £100,000 per extra match.  

You have to remember they're just tenants and that stadium is free for the landlord to do what they want with for the other 340 days of the year. How many of those days you reckon they could rent it for £100k?

Behave yourself, it's an amazing deal, ridiculous TBH. The club and staff etc are based there too right?

100 million over 40 years and don't need to spend a penny staffing, maintaining upgrading, absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

jambo east anglia

In non West Ham news 😃 I'll be at Carrow Road tomorrow checking on the form of Gilmour, McLean and Hanley.

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Behave yourself, it's an amazing deal, ridiculous TBH. The club and staff etc are based there too right?

100 million over 40 years and don't need to spend a penny staffing, maintaining upgrading, absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

I don't believe they are, no. 

How much did Hearts pay for Murrayfield per match?

Unknown user
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I don't believe they are, no. 

How much did Hearts pay for Murrayfield per match?

How much did spurs have to pay to rebuild WHL? Or arsenal building the Emirates? How much have Chelsea spent at SB? You got an amazing leg up that'll cost a tiny 100 million spread over the next 4 decades, not to mention getting 40 million for the Boleyn or the 9 figures spent repurposing it for you.

At least appreciate how good a deal you got ffs, they practically gave you a handy on the way in!

Edited by Smithee

33 minutes ago, Smithee said:

How much did spurs have to pay to rebuild WHL? Or arsenal building the Emirates? How much have Chelsea spent at SB? You got an amazing leg up that'll cost a tiny 100 million spread over the next 4 decades, not to mention getting 40 million for the Boleyn or the 9 figures spent repurposing it for you.

At least appreciate how good a deal you got ffs, they practically gave you a handy on the way in!

You can't answer a simple question?

Unknown user
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

You can't answer a simple question?

Yeah of course, I just don't bother when they're irrelevant.

So, spurs, arsenal, Chelsea? How much did they have to spend?

3 hours ago, jambo east anglia said:

In non West Ham news 😃 I'll be at Carrow Road tomorrow checking on the form of Gilmour, McLean and Hanley.

i can save you the effort, promising, meh, shite

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yeah of course, I just don't bother when they're irrelevant.

So, spurs, arsenal, Chelsea? How much did they have to spend?

Don't recall them ever renting the London Stadium. 

How much did Hearts rent Murrayfield for again?

Unknown user
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Don't recall them ever renting the London Stadium. 

How much did Hearts rent Murrayfield for again?

:laugh2: get a grip mate, West ham got a ridiculous deal that cost the taxpayer a fortune to set up and brings in waaaaaaaay below market value.

No amount of What About Murrayfield changes that.

Let's ignore the few hundred million spent on building it, converting it for West ham cost tax payers 250 million+ (West Ham's contribution was less than we spent on our main stand IIRC) and you think paying 100 million over 40 years sounds like a lot aye?

Edited by Smithee

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2: get a grip mate, West ham got a ridiculous deal that cost the taxpayer a fortune to set up and brings in waaaaaaaay below market value.

No amount of What About Murrayfield changes that.

Let's ignore the few hundred million spent on building it, converting it for West ham cost tax payers 250 million+ (West Ham's contribution was less than we spent on our main stand IIRC) and you think paying 100 million over 40 years sounds like a lot aye?

Hand on heart, I know West Ham have a decent deal. People get upset about the deal they have and lose all sense of perspective though. £100k per game is still quite a chunk of money. That £100k is more than Hearts ever paid for a match at an almost identically sized Murrayfield no matter how much you avoid the question.

The stadium is losing money from mismanagement, not because West Ham "only" pay them £2.5m pa for a whole 25 days use. It's because they failed to negotiate properly and because they failed to plan it's use before they built it. It's because they have continually failed to sell the naming rights. It's also because they clearly can't find anyone else to give them £100k for the other 340 days of year. Above all that, it's costing the tax payer money because they didn't sell it like they planned to in the first place.

You can't bash the club for the rental agreement, especially after they had their agreed money on the table to buy it 😂

53 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Hand on heart, I know West Ham have a decent deal. People get upset about the deal they have and lose all sense of perspective though. £100k per game is still quite a chunk of money. That £100k is more than Hearts ever paid for a match at an almost identically sized Murrayfield no matter how much you avoid the question.

The stadium is losing money from mismanagement, not because West Ham "only" pay them £2.5m pa for a whole 25 days use. It's because they failed to negotiate properly and because they failed to plan it's use before they built it. It's because they have continually failed to sell the naming rights. It's also because they clearly can't find anyone else to give them £100k for the other 340 days of year. Above all that, it's costing the tax payer money because they didn't sell it like they planned to in the first place.

You can't bash the club for the rental agreement, especially after they had their agreed money on the table to buy it 😂

You got £143m in TV money last season. £100k a match is the equivalent of us paying about a tenner. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

You got £143m in TV money last season. £100k a match is the equivalent of us paying about a tenner. 

They got 40million from selling the old ground, put in 20million of the quarter billion refit needed, they don't need to pay any matchday costs and don't have hundreds of millions in amortised construction costs to pay off.

Their matchday income is insignificant in their overall financial picture so we can't even say the club have lost loads there either.

They got a ****ing amazing deal!

The best thing for Arsenal is to lose the next 5 or 6 games to make sacking Arteta easy.

Rather than limp on for another 2 years. 

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Arsenal fans flooding out of the Etihad already.

Joke club.

Absolutely. Fair enough playing shite but walking out before half time? Ticket was probably a fair price too. 

As said above Arteta is out his depth and needs sacked. Arsenal looking like a club lucky to make mid table.

25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They got 40million from selling the old ground, put in 20million of the quarter billion refit needed, they don't need to pay any matchday costs and don't have hundreds of millions in amortised construction costs to pay off.

Their matchday income is insignificant in their overall financial picture so we can't even say the club have lost loads there either.

They got a ****ing amazing deal!

It doesn’t actually bother me what they did with the Olympic stadium and I’m glad it didn’t just get left to ruin, but **** having anyone in the EPL use Scottish numbers to justify anything. 

Worst start to season since 1955 'if' they lose today. The records keep tumbling for Arsenal. 

Edited by Mikey1874

53 minutes to play and 2-0 down already.......truly Arsenal's struggles continue

A demonstration of just how they have fallen and an example of how even the 'big' clubs can get it wrong

It's not all down to the manager but there have been decent sums spent and from that a poor return in terms of performances

You look at the defence and shake your head at over £24 million being spent on a reserve goalkeeper...the priorities just seem so wrong

Edit 3-0 and is this the end for Arteta

Nobody at Arsenal seems to have a clue what they're doing.

The Board

The Manager

The Scouts

The Coaches

The Players

Not one of them has a scooby

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

53 minutes to play and 2-0 down already.......truly Arsenal's struggles continue

A demonstration of just how they have fallen and an example of how even the 'big' clubs can get it wrong

It's not all down to the manager but there have been decent sums spent and from that a poor return in terms of performances

You look at the defence and shake your head at over £24 million being spent on a reserve goalkeeper...the priorities just seem so wrong

Edit 3-0 and is this the end for Arteta

They’ve spent £132m and they look horrendous. Like you say the recruitment this summer doesn’t make sense.