Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

Just now, Ari Gold said:

I thought he improved from being underwhelming to alright. You're making out like he was playing like Messi week in, week out.

What assumptions are you stopping yourself from making? 

He was our best player on a fair few occasions. 

I’m not making out he was Messi or any other world class player who gets frequently used in a simile in a lazy attempt at disputing a players ability at our level. I’ve said he was good and very good at our level. I also believe he will go on and be better than that at decent level.

The assumptions I make, are that some people will either just be pig-headed and refuse to acknowledge good performances, or they simply cannot recognise good performances when they see them.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

I'd like to see us sign players who are game ready, no nonsense and uncomplicated. Lads with a steady track record at Premier/Championship clubs. 

Levein signed far too many who were either injury prone, a "project" or a delicate flower who has to be cajoled and wet nursed into performing and doing their job. A few are/were possibly all three. 

The addition of a few reliable, workaday players is what's required to bolster the squad and win the Championship.

Probably more realistic, too, given the finances and the league we've been voted into. 

The Championship won't quite be the cakewalk many believe but we should win it. Anything north of 60 points will be more than enough and I'd be happy enough with that. 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I would sell. Don’t think he’s a particularly good player and flatters to deceive. Certainly think we would could get better value.  

I didn’t even look that good at RB for me, improved yes, but like most the team not up to the required standards.

Granted not sure there is any players who I would give a hoot about leaving the club right now. Hickey maybe..

He has a bit to learn defensively but I think he’s found his position there. He just has to see the game in front of him or he just drifts out the match altogether. Best of luck to him if he goes. Could have been very good for us given time but emphasise the ‘could have’ .

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

He was our best player on a fair few occasions. 

I’m not making out he was Messi or any other world class player who gets frequently used in a simile in a lazy attempt at disputing a players ability at our level. I’ve said he was good and very good at our level. I also believe he will go on and be better than that at decent level.

The assumptions I make, are that some people will either just be pig-headed and refuse to acknowledge good performances, or they simply cannot recognise good performances when they see them.

There is absolutely no way he was "very good". 

We aspire to be a top 4 team. Would he get a game for Aberdeen? Or even Hibs?

What would you say his best position is? 

5 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

Saying that Oxford city are interested in Sean Clare  don,t know how much truth is in it but he is one player I thought got better last year after a crap start to his hearts career I think most Hearts fans would like him to stay but if does go I hope we get at least £400,000

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/sean-clare-hearts-oxford-united-18718794   :rifle:

I agree, a player who had the heart of a chicken for most of the start of his Hearts career, then suddenly transforms into one of our better players, will be sad to see him go but if we can get some decent money then good luck to him.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, martoon said:

I'd like to see us sign players who are game ready, no nonsense and uncomplicated. Lads with a steady track record at Premier/Championship clubs. 

Levein signed far too many who were either injury prone, a "project" or a delicate flower who has to be cajoled and wet nursed into performing and doing their job. A few are/were possibly all three. 

The addition of a few reliable, workaday players is what's required to bolster the squad and win the Championship.

Probably more realistic, too, given the finances and the league we've been voted into. 

The Championship won't quite be the cakewalk many believe but we should win it. Anything north of 60 points will be more than enough and I'd be happy enough with that. 

81, and two Scottish Cups or the banner will return 😜

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Clare would be decent in the Championship but he’s mostly been shite and he never looks like he really wants to be here. Happy to see him go tbh

Tokyo Drifter

Stick or twist? I say twist - sell him. Found his feet a bit when he moved to defence but still not proven as far as I'm concerned. Only thing which might make a difference is if Hickey goes and we might need him to deputise in the back four.

gowestjambo

Sean Clare and the rest of the below average rubbish we signed was responsible for us being bottom of the league. Apart from a handful I would be glad to see the back of them.

Heartsofgold
1 hour ago, Kenneth Dubeke said:

Not many in that squad who'd command a fee. Clare is one who probably would along with Hickey and Washington.  Given the anticipated hole in our income, I'd imagine we may need to generate transfer income 

Clare did noticeably improve under Stendel.  He was often very poor prior to that. No amount of revisionism can change that 

He wasn't/isn't poor. He was poorly managed by our previous to Stendal management team.

26 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Fair enough, he's pish anyway...

It is gonna be hard for Robbie to move players on tbf, gonna be a test of his coaching credentials to get some of these guys plays again

👍

There is two players that are looking for clubs would improve the hearts team O’Donnell and Lewis McLeod two quality players improve our squad 

20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

81, and two Scottish Cups or the banner will return 😜

Making the final of the first is a must, certainly. 😊

I'd be happy to see the back of the Sean Clare threads. There is a player in there somewhere but I feel it's just not a good match of player and club

Adam_the_legend

SC makes me nervous. Definitely came onto a game but seems like the ultimate confidence player and I’d be worried one bad game or mean tweet might send him back to the doldrums. If we can get decent money I’d sell him. 

Edited by Adam_the_legend

BackOfTheNet
47 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

you know what’s bigger nonsense?! Folk will have you believe Clare turned into a superstar after Stendel came in because he didn’t continue to be next to anonymous every game. Did he improve, yes, but he didn’t have much of a base level of performance to improve on. I suspect he’s a high earner and has been largely atrocious for his time with us, part of one of the most spineless teams in our history. 

He, like most others in that squad, can go without any concerns from me.

You’ve evidently missed my earlier post where I literally say “no one is saying he’s a superstar”. You know why I say that? Because the only people who have ever said it are folk down the pub who claim others say it. They also have a tendency to say he’s “chicken-hearted” and “lazy” when anyone with eyes should (I say should) be able to see that saying such things would be nothing other than utter fictitious nonsense. It’s fine to not like a player, it’s fine to want them to leave the club. But there’s no point lying about his ability to try to justify that point of view.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

On 09/07/2020 at 11:41, Jamboj1 said:

Just passing on a little info I was told, not sure if already posted on here but we’re keeping a close eye on Lewis Macleod expect us to make contact with his agent soon 👍🏻 Hope there’s interest on his side could be a cracking signing 

https://twitter.com/lanlivesport/status/1290905377119379456?s=21   Definitely interest from us, but more than likely be interest elsewhere aswell 

Edited by Jamboj1

Kenneth Dubeke
28 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

He wasn't/isn't poor. He was poorly managed by our previous to Stendal management team.

I dont think he's a poor player. His time at Hearts has coincided with is being utter dogshit 

Levein didn't have a clue how to get the best out of him 

loveofthegame
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You’ve evidently missed my earlier post where I literally say “no one is saying he’s a superstar”. You know why I say that? Because the only people who have ever said it are folk down the pub who claim others say it. They also have a tendency to say he’s “chicken-hearted” and “lazy” when anyone with eyes should (I say should) be able to see that saying such things would be nothing other than utter fictitious nonsense. It’s fine to not like a player, it’s fine to want them to leave the club. But there’s no point lying about his ability to try to justify that point of view.

Who’s lying about his ability?! He has ability that would be clear to a blind man, but he’s played almost every position in the team and I still don’t know what his best position is. He was hopeless for 18 months. He hid in games week after week- that equates to being fairly spineless in my book. He might go on to have success elsewhere as, unlike many who leave the club, he does have talent. But we’d be best rid rather than keeping a high earner for a year in the championship, especially one I wouldn’t fancy to turn up at certain tough grounds if he didn’t fancy it. 

Adam_the_legend
2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

All fair enough. I will be very impressed indeed however, if Neilson somehow manages to sell our truncated Championship season to one good attacking player, never mind two. Maybe the carrot of a cup final, and a chance of silverware, but I have serious reservations unfortunately. Especially with wingers, notoriously hard to find good ones at the best of times. :( 

Keep seeing this argument re the truncated season. Surely being in the championship is the challenge for recruitment not the number of games. Why would a player care if they are being paid what they’re asking for? Less chance of injury do to overplaying as well. 

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Keep seeing this argument re the truncated season. Surely being in the championship is the challenge for recruitment not the number of games. Why would a player care if they are being paid what they’re asking for? Less chance of injury do to overplaying as well. 

More to do with starting in October, in a very low standard league division. Any player with a bit of something about them will want to get their season planned out and play at as high a level as their ability will afford them... in the summer.

18 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s infuriating, isn’t it? If you try and point out a guy is a good player at our level, you are accused of making out he’s Messi or another world class player. 

You can’t educate pork.

Kenneth Dubeke
1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

The other clubs in the Championship are not of comparable quality to Hamilton and Midden. Honestly, they are well below that standard. Last season’s Hamilton and St Mirren if kept intact, would walk this season’s Championship. The whole division minus us has been torn to shreds. Most clubs don’t have four figure ST sales, and some don’t even have a half a team of first team standard players. Our better players, with Neilson managing them, should absolutely stroll it.

Should being the operative word 

48 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Sean Clare and the rest of the below average rubbish we signed was responsible for us being bottom of the league. Apart from a handful I would be glad to see the back of them.

This. Take the money......!

I'd move Clare on. Hasn't cut it for me....same with a few others. 

What worries me a little about Hearts is when was the last time we had a player whose name in the teamsheet inspired confidence in you....or when coming off the subs bench got you excited and away fans nervous? Was our last one Rudi? Has it been that long?

Jambo, Goodbye
1 hour ago, loveofthegame said:

you know what’s bigger nonsense?! Folk will have you believe Clare turned into a superstar after Stendel came in because he didn’t continue to be next to anonymous every game. Did he improve, yes, but he didn’t have much of a base level of performance to improve on. I suspect he’s a high earner and has been largely atrocious for his time with us, part of one of the most spineless teams in our history. 

He, like most others in that squad, can go without any concerns from me.

100% this.

Was supposed to be a CM. Move on and bring in a CM who can actually play CM. 

Kenneth Dubeke
53 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Exactly. I've being trying to recall these wonderful games some of our players seemingly had last season 

Anyone who played a part in last season should be in the last chance saloon. Pretty much without exception 

Humiliating to find ourselves where we are 

Edited by Kenneth Dubeke
Typo

Famous 1874

Really like Sean Clare but his contract expires in May 2021, therefore can start to talk to clubs about signing a pre contract in December this year. Therefore we have 3 options. 

1- Offer him an improved contract, I reckon a 3 year deal which would mean that his contract would expire on 31/05/2023

2- Sell in this transfer window, looking for a fee upwards of 500k minimum

3- Don’t sell him but he rejects a new contract, therefore leaves us on a free in May 2021. This option cannot happen as he is a sellable asset. 

The same process should be taken for Michael Smith, Aaron Hickey and Conor Washington. Talking of contracts, Andy Irving should be offered a longer term contract, ideally a 4 year deal, as he definitely can be a long term player for us.  

BackOfTheNet
17 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Who’s lying about his ability?! He has ability that would be clear to a blind man, but he’s played almost every position in the team and I still don’t know what his best position is. He was hopeless for 18 months. He hid in games week after week- that equates to being fairly spineless in my book. He might go on to have success elsewhere as, unlike many who leave the club, he does have talent. But we’d be best rid rather than keeping a high earner for a year in the championship, especially one I wouldn’t fancy to turn up at certain tough grounds if he didn’t fancy it. 

Football is all about opinions but although you can have your own opinions you can’t have your own facts. And nothing in what you’ve said (other than he was played in several positions, which is not exactly great for a player’s development) is factual. He did not hide, he was one of the few players to ask for the ball, to try and take a man on - but that inevitably meant he lost the ball on occasion which got people on his back. “Hopeless for 18 months” is pub chat and nothing akin to reality.

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Football is all about opinions but although you can have your own opinions you can’t have your own facts. And nothing in what you’ve said (other than he was played in several positions, which is not exactly great for a player’s development) is factual. He did not hide, he was one of the few players to ask for the ball, to try and take a man on - but that inevitably meant he lost the ball on occasion which got people on his back. “Hopeless for 18 months” is pub chat and nothing akin to reality.

I'd say hopeless is harsh but he has certainly underwhelmed. 

Do you think he has done enough over the last couple of seasons?

What do you think his best position is? 

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

It’s infuriating, isn’t it? If you try and point out a guy is a good player at our level, you are accused of making out he’s Messi or another world class player. 

You can’t educate pork.

It can be like playing word bingo with some. They have a word association game with certain players they like to say even if it’s completely opposite to what is observational truth.

BackOfTheNet
Just now, Ari Gold said:

I'd say hopeless is harsh but he has certainly underwhelmed. 

Do you think he has done enough over the last couple of seasons?

What do you think his best position is? 

Personally RWB at the moment, but I’d like to see him be given a run in the team (an actual run) in an AM role. Send Walker off to the golf courses he loves and give Clare a shot. I think he’s got the creativity and intelligence and ability to be a great player in the centre with players making the right runs around him.

Over the last couple of seasons he started slow as returned from injury probably too soon, was played in everywhere but goal. But he still chipped in with a few goals. I wasn’t underwhelmed as I had no expectations of a player I knew nothing of or hadn’t seen. People too what Levein said and the papers comparing him to Delle Alli and expected that of him. Not Clare’s fault, but for some reason people are angry at him for what other people have said about him.

OmiyaHearts

Honestly, any player in the squad could leave and I wouldn't be that bothered. Easy to replace any one of them.

loveofthegame
14 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Hopeless for 18 months is far closer to fact than it is “pub chat”, but let’s agree to disagree.

Edited by loveofthegame

1 hour ago, wattie exploited said:

Saying that Oxford city are interested in Sean Clare  don,t know how much truth is in it but he is one player I thought got better last year after a crap start to his hearts career I think most Hearts fans would like him to stay but if does go I hope we get at least £400,000

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/sean-clare-hearts-oxford-united-18718794   :rifle:

Think this is likely. Going by his social media a lot of it posted from London. seems obvious he'd rather be back down there. If we can free up a wage and get a bit cash, then great.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Apparently the youth coaches were telling Levein that Hickey was the best LB at the club from January 2019 and he really had no other option than to eventually play the lad. 

He was 16.5 years old in January 19 and couldn’t even get a first pick for Scotland u17’s. Why would Levein play him in first team?  

Kenneth Dubeke
3 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Wonder if he will be returning to Scotland?

4AFD4430-9EA1-4DDC-A79A-CEF1D36C0D02.jpeg

Hamburg seriously shat themselves when football resumed in Germany. Their collapse was terrible 

Bates has suffered bad ankle and hip injuries and played 1 game in the past year and a bit 

2 hours ago, lou said:

My hubby just said he had heard that Bobby Burns left due to friction, I fully admit it was a few minutes before I got the joke 

did someone rub him up the wrong way??

13 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Personally RWB at the moment, but I’d like to see him be given a run in the team (an actual run) in an AM role. Send Walker off to the golf courses he loves and give Clare a shot. I think he’s got the creativity and intelligence and ability to be a great player in the centre with players making the right runs around him.

Over the last couple of seasons he started slow as returned from injury probably too soon, was played in everywhere but goal. But he still chipped in with a few goals. I wasn’t underwhelmed as I had no expectations of a player I knew nothing of or hadn’t seen. People too what Levein said and the papers comparing him to Delle Alli and expected that of him. Not Clare’s fault, but for some reason people are angry at him for what other people have said about him.

I have been underwhelmed on the basis of what I expect from someone who plays for Hearts. Nothing to do with what Levein said. I'm actually pretty sure it was Clare himself that made the Dele Alli comparison. 

I'm not angry at him. I just don't feel he's shown enough during his time here. 

I don't think he'd be in the starting eleven so getting a transfer fee for a squad player is probably the best thing to do. 

24 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It can be like playing word bingo with some. They have a word association game with certain players they like to say even if it’s completely opposite to what is observational truth.

I like you. You see things. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

I have been underwhelmed on the basis of what I expect from someone who plays for Hearts. Nothing to do with what Levein said. I'm actually pretty sure it was Clare himself that made the Dele Alli comparison. 

I'm not angry at him. I just don't feel he's shown enough during his time here. 

I don't think he'd be in the starting eleven so getting a transfer fee for a squad player is probably the best thing to do. 

Did he? Sean Clare compared himself to Dele Alli? On ability I mean... not just the lazy “Messi” style comparisons people fling about when it comes to these things.

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Did he? Sean Clare compared himself to Dele Alli? On ability I mean... not just the lazy “Messi” style comparisons people fling about when it comes to these things.

Just done a quick Google, he said he's been compared to him in the past. He also comments about how he sees similarities and takes things from Dele Alli's gane to try improve. 

Is that not the answer you were expecting? 

Just now, rudi must stay said:

£500,000 should be about Clare's price range. If we get that, good business. 

Won’t be anywhere near that imo. Be lucky to get 200k. 

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

£500,000 should be about Clare's price range. If we get that, good business. 

We'd sell him for about £100-200k. He has one year left on his contract.