Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

23 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Possibly you meant to say he wasn’t  the ONLY problem. He was definitely the MAIN problem.

Window after window Levein kept going on about quality over quantity, but did the exact opposite. As a result he had a pretty good starting 11 who’d beat anyone on their day, but he had nothing behind it and no youths coming through that he felt he could trust. Injuries caused him far more grief than they should have done.
 A whole load of other issues you’ve alluded to, none of which Would really have mattered that much in a winning squad but get magnified in a struggling squad.

Refereeing ? Well we’ve had more than our share of shockers that’s for sure. But its not in the top 10 reasons we ended up in the place we ended up in. It’s a very easy external thing to blame but the reality is that it’s probably not a contributing factor to being consistently shite over a (nearly) 2 year period.

I’ll rephrase that. I don’t think tactics and on the day match management was our main problem. I suspect the coaching wasn’t good enough, and some of the players were treated differently, and this caused resentment. Add to that the lack of motivational pay, and the injuries to key players, and poor refereeing, and you have a disaster on your hands.

This idea it was down all down to negative tactics just doesn’t wash for me.

Many of the players who let us down have good records and pedigrees, like Whelan, Damour and Berra.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

13 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I’ll rephrase that. I don’t think tactics and on the day match management was our main problem. I suspect the coaching wasn’t good enough, and some of the players were treated differently, and this caused resentment. Add to that the lack of motivational pay, and the injuries to key players, and poor refereeing, and you have a disaster on your hands.

This idea it was down all down to negative tactics just doesn’t wash for me.

The injuries to KEY players and reffing decisions certainly had an adverse effect, not to mention the keeper disasters.

We may not have won the league but it is dificult to believe we would not have been a lot nearer the top.

Re refs, if you think some of the decisions last season were bad, you aint seen nothing yet if we win our case.

Anyhow back to transfers.  Any news, anyone?

Edited by JamboAl

11 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Souttar 

Clare                                                          Hickey 

Irving          Haring              Lee 

Naismith

Boyce 

Walker, Washington, Berra, Loic, Garrucio, Henderson, Moore, McDonald, Cochrane. 

I wouldn’t be upset if we didn’t sign anyone. 

I would expect Jamie Walker to be starter. Robbie rates him doesn't he? Overall if we do end up in the Chapionship that team must surely be good enough for promotion at first time of asking.

8 minutes ago, Jumper said:

I would expect Jamie Walker to be starter. Robbie rates him doesn't he? Overall if we do end up in the Chapionship that team must surely be good enough for promotion at first time of asking.

It would be at the best of times, I would think. In the weakest Championship of all time, I’d expect that team to absolutely horse the division.

33 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

It would be at the best of times, I would think. In the weakest Championship of all time, I’d expect that team to absolutely horse the division.

Get it (the attitude)right in the dressing room And we could go through that league unbeaten.

4 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Jamie Walker will be starting under neilson, no question about that.

The club Twitter feed following the Daily Rudi/Robbo with Jamie Walker goals ... reminding us what he’s capable of perhaps 

12 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Souttar 

Naismith

Boyce 

Walker, Washington, Berra, Loic, Garrucio, Henderson, Moore, McDonald, Cochrane. 

If we didn't have to change shape, then I would almost agree with you but if we lost certain players, had to play 2 in midfield, needed to play wide midfielder/winger. I'd be a bit more concerned.

And those are the area's Neilson is looking at addressing. Once he does and we have the more balanced squad, with cover for different eventualities, then that line up looks very strong for the championship. Better depth of quality and balance and options to change it up and we are laughing (or bloody well should be....)

Due to the lack of experience and pace in wide positions, I think we're a bit limited to the formations we can play at the moment.  Just now it seems any best XI would have to be with a narrow midfield 3 or a diamond. 

I think one of our issues is that Naisy needs shoehorned into any XI either as an attacking mid or, as second striker when Boyce and Washington are probably the more natural strike partnership if we were to play with two up front. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
58 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Agreed. No excusing for not annihilating the league. It’s woeful.

9 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

With respect mate don’t think we will need 3 at the back in the championship 

A back 3 would actually be better than a back 4 in the championship in ways. 

We are likely to have most of the possession in every game. 

In a back 4 we could only leave 2 CB back, but would leave us open to counter attacks. 

So a back 3  covers that, and also let's us control the ball more to build. 

Or we do a back 4 and a holding midfielder who can sit when the FB's bomb up the park. 

What Robbie did last time in the Championship was to often play a lopsided back 4 with one attacking FB & one defensive

18 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Souttar 

Naismith

Boyce 

I swear we've tried 3 at the back multiple times over the last 6 years and its never looked comfortable?

Gordon 

Souttar       M.Smith 

Clare.                                  Hickey 

Haring 

Lee                    Irving 

Naismith 

Boyce        Denzel 

merseyjambo
18 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Souttar 

Naismith

Boyce 

I doubt that Hickey, Smith, Washington, Damour will be here next season

Haring is always likely to be an injury doubt. Souttar is another one who is regularly injured. 

We need pace out wide 

I suspect it will be more like

Gordon

Brandon/Halkett/Berra/Garruchio 

McDonald/Lee/Walker/Unknown

Naismith/Boyce

9 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Haring is always likely to be an injury doubt. Souttar is another one who is regularly injured. 

We need pace out wide 

Gordon

Naismith/Boyce

There will be a few signings to improve that team. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Any hot info?

No, just what Robbie has implied...there are areas to be strengthened.Two wingers and a center mid at least IMO. 

HillmanHearts
15 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

We need pace out wide 

Gordon

Naismith/Boyce

Lee & Walker in CMF would get bullied too easily. 

We will need to fight tuff in some away games for sure. 

magicjohnston

Championship may be the chance to really give the likes of Connor Smith and Harry Cochrane a real go. Could be the making of them, and irving to really step up!

I'd expect Robbie to get backed in the transfer market by Ann, hopefully a few gems to be picked up in the free market. 

9 minutes ago, magicjohnston said:

Championship may be the chance to really give the likes of Connor Smith and Harry Cochrane a real go. Could be the making of them, and irving to really step up!

Big season for Cochrane. Certainly shown the ability in the past. It’s approaching now or never though (for us). 

20 minutes ago, magicjohnston said:

I'm hoping they get a chance to prove themselves . I've noticed Cochrane seems to be training everyday and hopefully he  starts the pre season without any injury

35 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

I'd expect Robbie to get backed in the transfer market by Ann, hopefully a few gems to be picked up in the free market. 

Why would you expect that? 

It might be the case that we have to pay all costs of litigation and an epic fine. The pot might not stretch to new players this season. 

Famous 1874

Something like these: Should be battering teams with Naisy and Boyce together. 

Gordon

Clare Smith Souttar Hickey

? Haring Irving 

Naisy

Boyce Washington

Gordon 

Clare Smith Souttar Hickey

Haring Irving 

McDonald Naisy Walker 

Boyce

Aim should be getting some of the younger players 20/25 games next season and to build a squad for the Premiership. 

Edited by Famous 1874

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It might be the case that we have to pay all costs of litigation and an epic fine. The pot might not stretch to new players this season. 

Don't worry it's covered😎

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

Don't worry it's covered😎

That’s good of you likes. A few things you’ve said in the past made me think you were rich. How rich actually are you though?

Arthur Morgan

Still though, looking at those players mentioned, how the feck did we find ourselves bottom?! Levein done a right number on us didn't he?

I think picking line ups & positions might need to be on hold for the next few weeks.

I’m hoping Robbie & JJ have already had various scenario  discussions with AB regarding the player budget  
1. Premiership

2. Championship + compensation 

3. Championship & heehaw.

we’ve now been handed option 3 so there might be a few players agents knocking Robbies door wanting their players away.

Its ok having a ‘relegation’ clause in contracts but how many players would actually want to stay in a poor championship/potentially reduced wages.

Fully expect derisory offers from OF for players such as Hickey & Boyce.

If O’Neill stays at Stoke I would expect Smith & Washington to head there.

Olly Lee’s wife didn’t settle here so he could be wanting away as well.

Clare is another one. His instagram is all about living in London...

I think August will be very telling regarding 20/21. If Hearts can hold the vast majority of the experienced players together with 2 or 3 young guys stepping up then great.

If August just seems to be a constant stream of players heading out the door with no ‘quality’ coming in then i think we will not coast it like some people  think we will.

KyleLafferty
26 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

I think picking line ups & positions might need to be on hold for the next few weeks.

I’m hoping Robbie & JJ have already had various scenario  discussions with AB regarding the player budget  
1. Premiership

we’ve now been handed option 3 so there might be a few players agents knocking Robbies door wanting their players away.

Its ok having a ‘relegation’ clause in contracts but how many players would actually want to stay in a poor championship/potentially reduced wages.

I think August will be very telling regarding 20/21. If Hearts can hold the vast majority of the experienced players together with 2 or 3 young guys stepping up then great.

If August just seems to be a constant stream of players heading out the door with no ‘quality’ coming in then i think we will not coast it like some people  think we will.

Olly Lee has told Neilson he wants to play for Hearts. And this rumour about his wife is nonsense. It's now well documented that he had a fall out with Levein.

28 minutes ago, Mundaydog said:

1. Premiership

O’Neill is going nowhere as done a great job to stay up at stoke comfortably. They were in the same mess as us at the time. 

when the wage costs were reduced, was it not the case that wages wouldn’t go down any further?

13 hours ago, magicjohnston said:

I agree and I wouldn't sign anyone unless its to replace someone who's left.

We'll piss this league with the likes of Walker, Naysmith & Boyce and would use it to give the likes of Tony MacDonald, Lewis Moore and Jamie Brandon good runs in the team to see how far they develop.

Cash is gonna be tight since we're getting no compensation so there's little point spending money on a league that we're gonna absolutely skoosh anyway.

12 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Also, you would be looking for players who are happy to wait until O toner, to play in the Scottish first division.

Personally, Id be wary of dipping in to the transfer market too much this season. I’d be looking to only bring in players who are as close to a sure thing as you can get, and blooding the kids.

When we are promoted back to the Premiership, then we can start looking at more signings. By then we will know what the young lads are capable of, and we won’t have lots of Championship desperation signings clogging up the wage bill and dressing room.

Got a feeling there will only be a couple of signings now, depending of course on who we can shift off the payroll.

2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Got a feeling there will only be a couple of signings now, depending of course on who we can shift off the payroll.

Think so too. Let’s be honest, it’ll be hard to convince anyone worth having to come and play in the Scottish first division starting in October.

Might the number of games on plastic pitches be a consideration/concern for likes of Haring, Naismith, Walker? Asking not saying.

Separately if I was likes of Smith or Washington then opting for English Championship over Scottish equivalent at this time in their career would be a no brainier. 

11 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Think so too. Let’s be honest, it’ll be hard to convince anyone worth having to come and play in the Scottish first division starting in October.

I reckon we only really need a couple if we can hang onto most of what we have in place. I think we will lose Smith and Washington and I hope someone from down south is interested in taking Damour.  A pacy winger and a box to box midfielder should see us ok.

jamboinglasgow
10 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Also, you would be looking for players who are happy to wait until O toner, to play in the Scottish first division.

Personally, Id be wary of dipping in to the transfer market too much this season. I’d be looking to only bring in players who are as close to a sure thing as you can get, and blooding the kids.

When we are promoted back to the Premiership, then we can start looking at more signings. By then we will know what the young lads are capable of, and we won’t have lots of Championship desperation signings clogging up the wage bill and dressing room.

I would agree. We have a strong squad (at least on paper but its up to Robbie to make them strong on the pitch.)

I think we should only be looking for new signings if players leave and even then those we bring in should be players who we can take us forward in the Premiership.

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

O’Neill is going nowhere as done a great job to stay up at stoke comfortably. They were in the same mess as us at the time. 

when the wage costs were reduced, was it not the case that wages wouldn’t go down any further?

I don't think that's quite correct.

When the last cut (to max 30%) was made AB said it wouldn't be applied to the reduced wages as well.  My reading of that was (for example), if a player was on £2k per week and took a 30% cut that would leave him on £1400 pw.

If however we were allowed to cut wages by dint of relegation to say £1500 from £2k she would not apply the 30% cut to the £1500 but would probably leave that player on £1400pw and any cut will cease when things return to normal.

Edited by JamboAl

Captain Canada

Hopefully we can start to reshape the squad now we know where we are financially.

Robbie has said he wants wide players with pace and a central midfielder I believe. 

We certainly don't need three senior keepers at the club and there will be a few players at least who won't fancy the Championship. Hopefully we can move some guys on for fees and bring in more quality in a few positions. 

I would imagine the signings Robbie has openly talked about will be based on what was available if arbitration went worst case scenario, as is now the case, and Ann has said in her statement, was not a complete shock.

however the quality of those players may be different to what we would have gone for if in the premiership.

Jamboscanbevicius

We have an outstanding squad for the level we will be playing at.

Gordon

Smith     Halkett       Souttar       Hickey

Haring      Irving

Clare            Naismith           Washington

Boyce

With no more signings we should still be looking good, but I think the positions Robbie is looking at are bang on as we do lack a little balance.

I can see us losing some from Smith, Hickey, Clare, Damour and Washington. This wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Would bring in some funds and maybe help to balance the squad a little with a couple of good wide players another CM.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Gordon 

Smith Souttar Halkett 

Haring Irving Lee

Walker Naismith Washington 

Boyce 

3 3 3 1

Bielsa Ball Neilson style 

Average 5 goals a game 

My only worry is the fitness of Souttar, Haring and Naismith. Chances are all 3 could be out long term.

16 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Would expect outgoings first now we can finalise budgets etc. 

Yeh this is how I see it aswell.

It may end up being another budgement day type cull. A lot of these players are not fit for the Jersey.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Rods said:

Yeh this is how I see it aswell.

It may end up being another budgement day type cull. A lot of these players are not fit for the Jersey.

Problem is that you need these players to want to move on, and it could be expensive to pay off some. Especially with large numbers released around the UK, its harder for players to get clubs and even if they do clubs can keep wages down. So a player may see it better to sit tight on a relatively higher wage at Hearts even if they dont play much.

One thing we need is pace in the wide areas and players that know how to use it and control a ball! 

We also desperately need a new midfielder. We have been crying out for a decent midfield for years, probably since we got promoted the last time. 

15 hours ago, Cruyff said:

On the other hand if we off-loaded some from the current squad!!!!😀😀

4 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Olly Lee has told Neilson he wants to play for Hearts. And this rumour about his wife is nonsense. It's now well documented that he had a fall out with Levein.

Cheers. Didn’t know that 👍🏻. Hope there are more like that

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, Mundaydog said:

Cheers. Didn’t know that 👍🏻. Hope there are more like that

Shows has committed to playing for us. He might be slow but he can deliver a set piece or score a banger. If he's allowed to play further advance and let someone tackle for him I'm going to say he'll get a combined total of 20 goals/assists for us this season.