Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, jambonian said:

ย 

Yes, Souttar could be in the last chance saloon at Hearts. The injuries always seem to be long term and that's not helping the club in any way. Smith should be staying in at right-back where he's at his best, fair enough if we pick up an injury he's not a bad make-shift centre-half but Neilson shouldn't be thinking of him as that. As for Haring...he's been out for over a year now so if and when he's fit, he should be brought in carefully and slowly, off the bench maybe for 10 minutes here, 25 minutes there to build himself back up to where he can play a full half and beyond. Berra, he will do fine in the Championship but once we get promotion we need to look ahead. Halkettโ€ฆ.he is no centre-half. He would suit a defensive midfield role in front of two solid defenders. Has an eye for goals (more than some of his "striker" team-mates) and is also handy in that position to take a step back and help out as an extra centre-half when we need to defend, or emergency defender if injuries occur. We definitely need to bring in an out and out centre-half. Shame we can't get Jimmy Dunne back,ย  solid, good in the air and not scared to put a tackle in when needed.

If Neilson doesn't address these things then we could have another Levein type who, rather than sign a player for a specific position, would be happy enough fitting square pegs into round holes. That's not going to help anyone, never mind the club!

Well said ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

14 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Hopefully this arbitration shite ends tomorrow so we can actually have a transfer window.ย 

Get the bid for Shankland ready ๐Ÿ˜‚

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Sandy Jardine was only 5. 9โ€

ย 

Yes and only moved to CH at the end of his career, with a tall guy as a partner.ย 

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, number-16 said:

Get the bid for Shankland ready ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

Here, that would get me fully on the Robbie train by the way. Nae chance though.ย 

ย 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Bang on. Thereโ€™s a few examples of this over the years. Boys being top centre halfโ€™s in the youth teams, Scotland caps etc but when they get to the first team they have to get shunted to fullback becauseย their not big enough.ย 
ย 

Not just Scotland though itโ€™s a British thing. Even the smaller centreย halfโ€™s in EPL like Otamendi or Mustafi are still absolute units. The game up here is even more direct so unfortunately thereโ€™s no chance of Hamilton playing CH in this country. No matter how good a player he is, shite like St Mirren and Hamilton would just stick a monster on him and launch it forward. Heโ€™d be ruined before he was a 21.

ย 

Missed thisย comment at first, but you're absolutelyย spot on. Very rarely do you see a centre half under 6ft up here - even in England -ย because usually a primary attribute upย hereย is being good in the air and being strong because traditionally our strikers are big lads who can be on the receiving end of a hoof. Hamilton would be useless defending a corner against all the other big centre halves and strikers. Andย the likes of Obika, Doidge, Cosgrove and Dykes would just bully him in a 1-on-1.ย 

ย 

Again I would be happy to see him being given a chance, but I have my concerns as to whether or not he's big and strong enough as above.ย 

ย 

Edited by Batistuta87

41 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Hopefully this arbitration shite ends tomorrow so we can actually have a transfer window.ย 

If weโ€™re in the. Championship then we wonโ€™t needs players coming in unless a good few are moved out.ย 

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

6 foot is still small for a centre half. Thatโ€™s my point. Whatโ€™s yours?

Same as yours. I think ?ย 

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

My wife says an extra couple of inches isnt important ๐Ÿค”

ย 

Is it only me that found this very funny?

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

If weโ€™re in the. Championship then we wonโ€™t needs players coming in unless a good few are moved out.ย 

ย 

I think you'll see a hell of a lot of movement outwards if it's confirmed that we're in the championship.ย 

Granted, our budget and targets will be of a lower standard.ย 

ย 

I hope to **** that there's a relegation clause in Damour's contract, i really can't be doing with another Malaury Martin scenario.ย 

11 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

ย 

I think you'll see a hell of a lot of movement outwards if it's confirmed that we're in the championship.ย 

Granted, our budget and targets will be of a lower standard.ย 

ย 

I hope to **** that there's a relegation clause in Damour's contract, i really can't be doing with another Malaury Martin scenario.ย 

Agreed ๐Ÿ˜

1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

Sandy Jardine was only 5. 9โ€

ย 

Doubt if John Terry was much bigger than that, if at all.

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

My wife says an extra couple of inches isnt important ๐Ÿค”

Who to believe? Your wife told me an extra couple of inches was very important ๐Ÿ˜‡

Batistuta87
25 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Doubt if John Terry was much bigger than that, if at all.

ย 

I've met John Terry and he's easily 6'2" or so,ย with a massive melon of a heed.ย 

ย 

Edited by Batistuta87

49 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Who to believe? Your wife told me an extra couple of inches was very important ๐Ÿ˜‡

ย 

maggieb,

You are a man, woman or non-gender specific person with a sense of humour that tickles me. In a non-sexually suggestive or gender specifying way of course.:-)

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

ย 

I've met John Terry and he's easily 6'2" or so,ย with a massive melon of a heed.ย 

ย 

I did wonder about that. He just doesn't look very tall on the telly.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes and only moved to CH at the end of his career, with a tall guy as a partner.ย 

But effective eh

5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I did wonder about that. He just doesn't look very tall on the telly.

You need to sit closer to the telly then.

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

But effective eh

Indeed, but he had a wealth of experience to fall back on, this young lad will never be a CH and why he hasnโ€™t been moved to FB or CM full time is mystifying.

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Rods said:

Canavarro is 5,9 and he is one of the best everย 

Absolutely, in a league that doesnโ€™tย shell high long balls to giants and he had a bit more ability than Hamilton has.ย 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, but he had a wealth of experience to fall back on, this young lad will never be a CH and why he hasnโ€™t been moved to FB or CM full time is mystifying.

I would like to see him prove us wrongย 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I would like to see him prove us wrongย 

So would I but itโ€™s unlikely he would be able to compete physically with some of the absolute beasts that play up front in Scotland, he would be targeted.ย 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
5 hours ago, mitch41 said:

We lack pace at centre back. Halkett is slow and switches off too many times. Berra has gone downhill fast and some forget how bad he was. Soapy is only just getting back after injury that's 2 long layoff's so we really need 2 centre backs as well as what Robbie wants. Time to get dealing next week when we find out what league we're in (hopefully).

ย 

Do you really want us to carry five first team centre halves in the Championship?

ย 

Squads will be smaller across the leagues as budgets will be even tighter than normal so it will be important to have players who can cover two or three positions. Smith and Haring are examples of that, and with Neilson talking about wanting to sign a central midfielder then there is scope for us to use Haring in a central defensive role when necessary. Remember he was first signed to play on the right of a back 3!

ย 

If we're looking to sign a defender of any sorts it should be a right back as cover for Michael Smith but with Jamie Brandon having signed a new deal that doesn't seem likely.

4 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

There seems to be a common habit of writing our young players off

Only after watching them many times. If they donโ€™t standout in reserve and youth games itโ€™s hard to see them making it at top level. Some do granted, but vast majority donโ€™t. Based on last couple of seasons Stone, Logan, Smith, Henderson, Irving, Watsonย have a chance, the rest probably not imo. Too early to say for most of the u18/17 kids though some look promising.ย 

8 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

If we're in the championship id be more than happy with Brandon at RB and Smith at CB.ย 

Unlike many, I still think Brandon could make it at Hearts. Hope he gets the chance.ย 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Unlike many, I still think Brandon could make it at Hearts. Hope he gets the chance.ย 

Same. There's a player in thereโ„ข๏ธ

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Only after watching them many times. If they donโ€™t standout in reserve and youth games itโ€™s hard to see them making it at top level. Some do granted, but vast majority donโ€™t. Based on last couple of seasons Stone, Logan, Smith, Henderson, Irving, Watsonย have a chance, the rest probably not imo. Too early to say for most of the u18/17 kids though some look promising.ย 

Thanks for that summary.

i guess we are still fielding more of our youngsters than any other clubs. ย If they screw the nut, the opportunity is there for them at Hearts

21 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Thanks for that summary.

i guess we are still fielding more of our youngsters than any other clubs. ย If they screw the nut, the opportunity is there for them at Hearts

Indeed though next 9 months going to be tough. Loans are only way the younger guys will get a game. Hard toย see any reserve/youth football going ahead.ย 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Indeed though next 9 months going to be tough. Loans are only way the younger guys will get a game. Hard toย see any reserve/youth football going ahead.ย 

ย 

its why the increase in loans per club make sense

11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Very true

Batistuta87
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

So would I but itโ€™s unlikely he would be able to compete physically with some of the absolute beasts that play up front in Scotland, he would be targeted.ย 

Absolutely this. Small guys can be centre backs, but not on Scotland. Even worldwide, it's very very rare to see a centre back under, say, 6ft. Here's the top 25 in the world according to Transfermrkt, not one of them is under 6ft:

ย 

ย 

6F42694B-B9A3-413A-B503-77D7515E9774.jpeg

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Absolutely this. Small guys can be centre backs, but not on Scotland. Even worldwide, it's very very rare to see a centre back under, say, 6ft. Here's the top 25 in the world according to Transfermrkt, not one of them is under 6ft:

ย 

ย 

6F42694B-B9A3-413A-B503-77D7515E9774.jpeg

Itโ€™s a bit like small GKs, you need to be excellent to make it. Ability for small guys all over the pitch is a must really, unfortunately most coaches still want a big guy over a smaller one and I include our current manager in that, his team when he left averaged about 6 foot.

Batistuta87
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Itโ€™s a bit like small GKs, you need to be excellent to make it. Ability for small guys all over the pitch is a must really, unfortunately most coaches still want a big guy over a smaller one and I include our current manager in that, his team when he left averaged about 6 foot.

ย 

Absolutely. In no way am I saying that nobody under 6 foot can be a good centre half, I'm just saying it generally helps (especially in Scotland) to be bigger. I love it when a youngster comes through and does well. It means we're operating well as a club and are developing our kids the right way. I would love for Hamilton to come through and be a Cannavarro type bulldog of a centre half and to become a first team regular, but I just can't see it from what I've seen of him in the flesh. He wasn't even playing centre back the 2 games I watched him and looked relatively comfortable in midfield. He might be an ideal candidate for moulding into a defensive midfielder so would be great if we signed a DM with a bit of experience who could perhaps mentor him (perhaps Lee McCulloch would be a good acquisition for this purpose). Again, Andy Halliday is ourย ideal man, but considering that ship has probably sailed and looking backย to Transfermrkt, Jay Spearing catches my eye. 31 y/o, 300+ career games, can't have been on much money at Bolton... He could be a very useful signing, both on and off the park.ย 

ย 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

ย 

Absolutely. In no way am I saying that nobody under 6 foot can be a good centre half, I'm just saying it generally helps (especially in Scotland) to be bigger. I love it when a youngster comes through and does well. It means we're operating well as a club and are developing our kids the right way. I would love for Hamilton to come through and be a Cannavarro type bulldog of a centre half and to become a first team regular, but I just can't see it from what I've seen of him in the flesh. He wasn't even playing centre back the 2 games I watched him and looked relatively comfortable in midfield. He might be an ideal candidate for moulding into a defensive midfielder so would be great if we signed a DM with a bit of experience who could perhaps mentor him (perhaps Lee McCulloch would be a good acquisition for this purpose). Again, Andy Halliday is ourย ideal man, but considering that ship has probably sailed and looking backย to Transfermrkt, Jay Spearing catches my eye. 31 y/o, 300+ career games, can't have been on much money at Bolton... He could be a very useful signing, both on and off the park.ย 

ย 

Definitely ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ.

38 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

ย 

ย 

I seem to recall him bossing Liverpool's MF in the game against us at Tynie.

11 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

ย 

Do you really want us to carry five first team centre halves in the Championship?

ย 

Squads will be smaller across the leagues as budgets will be even tighter than normal so it will be important to have players who can cover two or three positions. Smith and Haring are examples of that, and with Neilson talking about wanting to sign a central midfielder then there is scope for us to use Haring in a central defensive role when necessary. Remember he was first signed to play on the right of a back 3!

ย 

If we're looking to sign a defender of any sorts it should be a right back as cover for Michael Smith but with Jamie Brandon having signed a new deal that doesn't seem likely.

Halkett and Berra would be sold or freed as one isnโ€™t good enough and the other is finished.

rudi must stay
47 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I seem to recall him bossing Liverpool's MF in the game against us at Tynie.

ย 

I don't remember that, felt like Novikovas bossed it. But he is an interesting target with his career, abit like Burke and I'd say in general if you have it you don't lose it if lucky with injuries and coached well. At 31 he still has something in him

21 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Halkett and Berra would be sold or freed as one isnโ€™t good enough and the other is finished.

ย 

Agreed.

ย 

Berra isn't good enough and Halkett is finished.

3 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

ย 

Agreed.

ย 

Halkett isnโ€™t good enough and Berra is finished.

ย 

๐Ÿ˜‡

rudi must stay
51 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

ย 

Agreed.

ย 

ย 

Halkett and his rejuvenation will be a bright spot next seasonย 

13 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

ย 

Halkett and his rejuvenation will be a bright spot next seasonย 

ย 

Hopefully!

ย 

ย 

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

ย 

Hopefully!

ย 

ย 

ย 

He's a good player in a poor team. It's like being in a bad team at fives it lowers you're game.ย 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

ย 

Haljett and Berra will stroll the championship.ย 

ย 

Halkett our was Livingstons player of the year 2 years ago.ย 

38 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Robbie looking for pacy wide players . We've got one in Sean Clare . Get him backย up the park .ย 

Heโ€™s shite when played high up the park. All but disappears from games altogether. Use the championship to work on the defensive side of his game and play him rightย back.ย 

13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

ย 

Haljett and Berra will stroll the championship.ย 

ย 

Halkett our was Livingstons player of the year 2 years ago.ย 

That means nothing. Will they stroll the Scottish Cup if we drawn against a Premiership team.

ย 

18 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Agreed