Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I remember him playing centre half in pre-season against everton for a half, thought he looked quality up against lukaku. I don't think we'll ever know Callums best position, strong, quick, fantastic in the air and a powerful shot on him, but he has no positional awareness and a poor first touch

Personally, now he's still a higher level than us, I would have him on Right Wing

He has energy for days, great dribbling & good pace. 

Plus he has s great cross on him. 

Then he can make runs into the back post also to get on the end of balls in from the opposite flank

Free rein to attack without needing the defensive side or getting too caught up in fighting the opposition CHs

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Problem with Callum Paterson is that he's a bit jack of all trades, master of none. For me he's a Targetman Center Forward or, he could be adapted to play as a big Centerhalf stopper, simply because his main attributes are his physical presence and aerial abilities. Although, I don't think he's ever been tried at Centerhalf. Probably something that should have been tried earlier in his career. 

I'm here, and despite his effectiveness he's technically limited at that level. 

May be out there, but I think he'd be a great sub for  bigger club, maybe someone like Arsenal.... 

Getting beat - fire him up front 

Defending - fire him on as a defender or an out ball up front. 

Plan A not working, fire hm on the wing as an outball. 

Despite his technical limits, he can dominate any opposition full back in the air and as you say is versatile. 

Maybe not an arsenal, but Everton, Southampton, Sheffield etc, he'd be a great option to have from the bench. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 hour ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Personally, now he's still a higher level than us, I would have him on Right Wing

He has energy for days, great dribbling & good pace. 

Plus he has s great cross on him. 

Then he can make runs into the back post also to get on the end of balls in from the opposite flank

Free rein to attack without needing the defensive side or getting too caught up in fighting the opposition CHs

CP isn’t a winger in a million years.

He could play Right Midfield but it would be with more grit than guile. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm here, and despite his effectiveness he's technically limited at that level. 

May be out there, but I think he'd be a great sub for  bigger club, maybe someone like Arsenal.... 

Getting beat - fire him up front 

Defending - fire him on as a defender or an out ball up front. 

Plan A not working, fire hm on the wing as an outball. 

Despite his technical limits, he can dominate any opposition full back in the air and as you say is versatile. 

Maybe not an arsenal, but Everton, Southampton, Sheffield etc, he'd be a great option to have from the bench. 

I’d absolutely love to have him at West Ham. We need a defender who can dominate in the air

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Problem with Callum Paterson is that he's a bit jack of all trades, master of none. For me he's a Targetman Center Forward or, he could be adapted to play as a big Centerhalf stopper, simply because his main attributes are his physical presence and aerial abilities. Although, I don't think he's ever been tried at Centerhalf. Probably something that should have been tried earlier in his career. 

Pretty much the same problem with Scott McTominay,the quicker they get a regular start at a regular position the better,otherwise their careers will pass the by.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, David Black said:

A player will have more confidence if he has more confidence in what he is asked to do. Asking a player to play a style that he is not happy with will effect his confidence. He doesn't trust himself to do what has been asked of him.

Which is true. Fitting in at a bigger club,  pressure,  personal life,  all factors 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I’d absolutely love to have him at West Ham. We need a defender who can dominate in the air

Yip, would be extremely effective for a team like that. 

Some right roasters on that Cardiff forum! One claims Pats is a shite right back 😂🤦‍♂️ Best RB we've had for a while imo. Another saying they should get rid cos he's 3rd choice no.10... double 🤦‍♂️ RB or ST I wouldn't play him anywhere else... An asset to any team including the EPL. Cannot wait to welcome him home in 5+ years time

I’m probably in the minority but I loved Callum marauding up and down the right flank for us.

He could play anywhere basically.

Force of nature. Would love him back. 

I think Steven Fletcher left Sheffield Wednesday recently, now plays for Stoke.  That will be a direct replacement.  I will think Paterson will consider it seriously if he's out the first team.  I would play Patterson as a Target striker.

6 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

Some right roasters on that Cardiff forum! One claims Pats is a shite right back 😂🤦‍♂️ Best RB we've had for a while imo. Another saying they should get rid cos he's 3rd choice no.10... double 🤦‍♂️ RB or ST I wouldn't play him anywhere else... An asset to any team including the EPL. Cannot wait to welcome him home in 5+ years time

He was a good outball for us at right back but I'd agree that defence isn't really his mindset. Wing back he could do a good job. 

For me the lad is probably best up top, rarely see him lose an ariel battle, great work rate and strong shot on him

Guest ToqueJambo

Seem to remember that big huddie Grant Hanley transferring between championship teams for over £5m. A player as versatile as CP (and who is proven in that division) could go for more than £2m if someone really wants him.

CP is absolutely made for a hard pressing system. Would be fantastic at harassing the back five and deep midfielders. 

Would work very well as an inside right forward (ideally as part of a front three) or a wide midfielder in front of an attacking fullback. 

Play him him as a disruptive influence to shut down one side of the pitch - use transitions to make chances in the German style. Cross from the right, get back post headers on crosses from left. Batter some shots from the edge of the box from cut backs. Good for set pieces. 

His touch and positional sense will make central positions difficult but has lots to offer in the right system. 

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Seem to remember that big huddie Grant Hanley transferring between championship teams for over £5m. A player as versatile as CP (and who is proven in that division) could go for more than £2m if someone really wants him.

Him going for £5m was ridiculous. 

Worse than players going for £100m plus, him being worth £5m meant I was worth at least £3m.

14 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

I’m probably in the minority but I loved Callum marauding up and down the right flank for us.

He could play anywhere basically.

Force of nature. Would love him back. 

Right sided attacking full back or centre half is most likely his settled position. It will help him to get that.

Up front he's League 2 standard. Problem at Cardiff is up front is his only option. 

Think we may be disappointed here. If the big money was coming for CP it would have come the season they got promoted or he was playing in the EPL. A few years on he has carved out a career at that level however doesn't seem to be particularly "explosive" to get a big fee.

For Cardiff it's all too possible at this time they would be happy to let him go for little given he's likely to be on £20k plus a week having got his deal when they were in the EPL.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Right sided attacking full back or centre half is most likely his settled position. It will help him to get that.

Up front he's League 2 standard. Problem at Cardiff is up front is his only option. 

He's no Alan Shearer but I would have thought scoring 4 goals in 20 dd games in the "world's best league" for a very poor side isn't the worst record. And he also seems to be Scotland's back-up striker right now, which isn't saying much mind you. I think he's found his level in the Championship and if he gets promoted again he's the type of player who could pull a fantastic season out of the hat. I'd like to think someone will take a chance on him but would love to see him back at us in a. couple of years.

23 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Probably due to the fierce nature of our support. Counter productive all too often 

In a nutshell ... will see what having no support in the stadium does for them 

3 hours ago, rubyruby said:

Aaron hickey listed as no.51 

I thought he was gonna be their new no.3,not that I complaining 

😆😆

you've got to hope that was a request 🤣

C Pats was a great player for us! An absolute monster in the air! Good luck to him wherever he ends up, Hopefully we get a wee bit money from the sell on clause too. 

In regards to transfers i would like to shift white, damour and whighton by the end of the window and bring in a lb, dm and a big target man type striker as i feel we need a different option up front.

We are not far away from being a very decent side. Good on Neilson and the coaching staff, i just hope the season goes ahead! Life without hearts playing has been a little bit more boring for all of us.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-boss-robbie-neilson-more-signings-rivals-use-james-anderson-money-and-praise-ann-budges-budgeting-2984739

I noticed that this doesn't open on my computer without the EN sales blurb over it, It opens on the News Now site though.

Edited by upgotheheads

6 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

C Pats was a great player for us! An absolute monster in the air! Good luck to him wherever he ends up, Hopefully we get a wee bit money from the sell on clause too. 

In regards to transfers i would like to shift white, damour and whighton by the end of the window and bring in a lb, dm and a big target man type striker as i feel we need a different option up front.

We are not far away from being a very decent side. Good on Neilson and the coaching staff, i just hope the season goes ahead! Life without hearts playing has been a little bit more boring for all of us.

Do you still want rid of Wighton?

30 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-boss-robbie-neilson-more-signings-rivals-use-james-anderson-money-and-praise-ann-budges-budgeting-2984739

I noticed that this doesn't open on my computer without the EN sales blurb over it, It opens on the News Now site though.

"If you were doing things properly then you probably wouldn’t have done that, would you?”

He added: "There has been money put out there already by Mr Anderson so I’d like to think some of that has been kept for what it should be used for.”

Get em telt Robbie

40 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Do you still want rid of Wighton?

Yes, I've never rated him. I suppose this season in the championship he would be ok as a back up but when we return to the top tier i think we need better to compete.

I would rather move him on now if we can, I don't see him turning into a world beater this season.

I'm also unsure if he can perform in big games in front of big crowds when the pressure is really on? Tbf he hasn't had much of a chance but probably more chances than others in our past who haven't made it at us.

Can’t believe we are going to be screwed over on any sell on fee for Paterson if the 500k figures are right, what a joke when crap players go for 5-10 million regularly in that league.

1 minute ago, JamboRossi79 said:

Can’t believe we are going to be screwed over on any sell on fee for Paterson if the 500k figures are right, what a joke when crap players go for 5-10 million regularly in that league.

I'm grateful for anything we get, we weren't entitled to anything and only got a sell on fee at Dr Funk's request. In these times any windfall's a bonus.

11 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

It has gone very quiet on the transfer front with it closing on midnight a week tomorrow. Not even any rumours, apart from Damour is leaving.

I imagine with the chat about clubs not lasting the season and things being in dire straits the club is probably taking a cautious approach. Why buy anyone if the season will be called early and you’ll just have to ask them to take a pay cut? Don’t want egg on our faces like Dempster asking for help when you splurge six figure sums on players. Not that we’d be paying fees or anything, but I think outside the top leagues in most countries clubs are cautious about signing anyone which in turn will make them cautious about letting anyone go as they’ll need to have numbers.

You’re right though, a week to go, so any 2 in 2 out which has been rumoured the last month I would say is unlikely. Unless there’s a Ginelly type out of nowhere incoming or departure that is.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

10 hours ago, JamboRossi79 said:

This does seem annoying. The only Championship transfer that doesn’t seem to involve a ridiculously inflated fee, and it’s the one we stand to make money from. Oh well.

5 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

This does seem annoying. The only Championship transfer that doesn’t seem to involve a ridiculously inflated fee, and it’s the one we stand to make money from. Oh well.

In normal circumstances I'd agree. But having a quick look at what the championship clubs the only clubs that are spending any money are clubs that have sold players for large fees. The championship currently had more money spent on out than in.

yes CP is probably worth more in a normal market but unfortunately we aren't in a normal market

According to the BBC gossip column Dundee Utd are trying to sign a defensive midfielder Jeando Fuchs from Alaves. Does that start another Butcher to Hearts rumour?

1 minute ago, MTS1874 said:

According to the BBC gossip column Dundee Utd are trying to sign a defensive midfielder Jeando Fuchs from Alaves. Does that start another Butcher to Hearts rumour?

Only by you

12 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

It has gone very quiet on the transfer front with it closing on midnight a week tomorrow. Not even any rumours, apart from Damour is leaving.

I heard that there had been no new enquiries for Damour

1 hour ago, MTS1874 said:

I hope not the guy is brutal. I know Robbie knows him well from his time at Utd but I really hope we are aiming for better than this.

The free agent market may be particularly fruitful this year as clubs that had budgeted for the return of fans from October, desperately seek to shed costs.

We've no cash, we're in a poor league, and there's no guarantee of completing the season and winning promotion.

I'm not sure we really need to be signing yet more players at the moment, even if anyone half decent could be persuaded to come to us in the circumstances.

jamboinglasgow

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-youngsters-connor-smith-and-chris-hamilton-leaving-loan-2985373

Evening news reporting that Hamilton will go to Dumbarton and Connor Smith will go to Arbroath for the season. Surprised a bit by Hamilton moving out on loan after featuring so much for the first team in pre-season games, though I guess with Halkett, Popescu, Berra at CB plus Haring and Smith able to cover there then his options are limited.

12 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-youngsters-connor-smith-and-chris-hamilton-leaving-loan-2985373

Evening news reporting that Hamilton will go to Dumbarton and Connor Smith will go to Arbroath for the season. Surprised a bit by Hamilton moving out on loan after featuring so much for the first team in pre-season games, though I guess with Halkett, Popescu, Berra at CB plus Haring and Smith able to cover there then his options are limited.

Hating is still "a few months away" according to RN. Berra is crocked for now and unreliable imo. I fear we are very thin on CB's