Robbie Neilson is back

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Oh well, look on the brightside, he won't have to manage against Hibs or St Johnstone in the Championship, every cloud n all that.

Edited by jambonian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I like you mate but the premiership league position at that time is false, what i mean by that is Aberdeen have two games in hand and went on to win them 👍 hope all is good. 

History shows we were more than likely to keep our own run of results going at the same time though. 

Did you not post: “Robbie Neilson 🤣” on the thread before he returned? I took that as you making out it wasn’t happening. I may have picked you up wrong though.

Jingle Bells
14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s not a shocking appointment. I’d call it a bit uninspired though. Kind of smacks of a club where your ‘head of recruitment’ (for want of a better phrase) attacks the transfer market by writing to agents asking “goat any guid players?” 

That said, Neilson knows how to win the Championship - so if we wind up in that league then all good (much as we should be pissing it anyway). If we get reinstated then this appointment doesn’t inspire me in the slightest.

I would like to see Parkie getting the Head of Recruitment gig, if he's up for it.

Being fitter than the rest goes a long way to winning the Championship, as we found out the last time

Fluorescent Adolescent
14 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I like you mate but the premiership league position at that time is false, what i mean by that is Aberdeen have two games in hand and went on to win them 👍 hope all is good. 

Aye yer right, with just shy of 40 percent of the season played, dropping into the ridiculous position of 3rd in the Premiership, simply WAS NOT ON. 🤬

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

History shows we were more than likely to keep our own run of results going at the same time though. 

Did you not post: “Robbie Neilson 🤣” on the thread before he returned? I took that as you making out it wasn’t happening. I may have picked you up wrong though.

Yeah we had maintained a constant in that season (our league position up till that point was between 2nd and 4th from the 3rd game of the season onwards.) We won 26 points from 15 games, then under Cathro we only won 18 points from 23 games. So under Robbie that season (when he was getting criticism through out it) we were getting 1.73 game, the previous season when we finished third we had 1.71 game (and that is without Rangers in the league.) And to have almost a season and a half in the Premiership and maintaining a constant of around 1.71 shows that they is a suitable manager.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
36 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Are you Hearts, mate? Honestly, even some of the most idiotic ***** I fall out with on here tend to be obvious Hearts supporters. You not so much. 😂

Yeah, I am. I just say what I see. Sometimes proved right.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

McCulloch is a fecking ned with a poor track record 

Lucky we got a manager who's not a ned and has a great record then? I assume you're fully on board?

13 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah we had maintained a constant in that season (our league position up till that point was between 2nd and 4th from the 3rd game of the season onwards.) We won 26 points from 15 games, then under Cathro we only won 18 points from 23 games. So under Robbie that season (when he was getting criticism through out it) we were getting 1.73 game, the previous season when we finished third we had 1.71 game (and that is without Rangers in the league.) And to have almost a season and a half in the Premiership and maintaining a constant of around 1.71 shows that they is a suitable manager.

Great post. 

Guest ToqueJambo
53 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s not a shocking appointment. I’d call it a bit uninspired though. Kind of smacks of a club where your ‘head of recruitment’ (for want of a better phrase) attacks the transfer market by writing to agents asking “goat any guid players?” 

That said, Neilson knows how to win the Championship - so if we wind up in that league then all good (much as we should be pissing it anyway). If we get reinstated then this appointment doesn’t inspire me in the slightest.

See when we appointed Jim Jefferies - a middling level full back for Hearts and a lower league manager with a track record including two promotions to the Premiership, did you think that was uninspiring? Aside from not being as shouty and sweary (although who knows behind the scenes)  I'd say Neilson is the nearest thing we can get to JJ - just a more modern approach to the game and a more restrained character but equally top dress sense.

I'm sick of experiments with football managers. Our most uninspiring appointments have often turned out to be our best ones. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

19 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Aye yer right, with just shy of 40 percent of the season played, dropping into the ridiculous position of 3rd in the Premiership, simply WAS NOT ON. 🤬

Nobody said it was not on 😂 but like you said with just shy of 40 percent of the season played, how can you judge him?. 

Let's see how he does, in time we will see if it was the right appointment to make 👍

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How was it false when it was literally the position at that time 🤣 

Fluorescent Adolescent
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Nobody said it was not on 😂 but like you said with just shy of 40 percent of the season played, how can you judge him?. 

:wow: 

Are you seriously asking that question?

On us finishing 3rd in the Premiership the previous season, or romping the Championship the season before that?

No?

17 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yeah, I am. I just say what I see. Sometimes proved right.

So what was the rant about “vermin” all about?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Special Officer Doofy said:

So what was the rant about “vermin” all about?

The usual suspects telling anyone who was sceptical/negative/unsure about court action that they were interlopers. You know the routine

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The usual suspects telling anyone who was sceptical/negative/unsure about court action that they were interlopers. You know the routine

Oh, okay. Missed that.

Who are the “usual suspects”?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Oh, okay. Missed that.

Who are the “usual suspects”?

Pretty much anyone I disagree with :lol: 😉

Phil D. Corners
2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

It was coming it’s not easy to change from dull hoof ball to a pressing game but I seen more than enough evidence to suggest it was going to work . 
I personally think it’s a shocking appointment 

Far from shocking considering the situation. 

I think every manager would love to play champagne football, but in Scotland it’s hard to attract/keep players that can do that.

Grinding our results against anti football is also needed.  

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, andyscott82 said:

All these entitled ******s that said life under Robbie was boring, what world do they live in?

Do you know what I’ve found boring - all these wee diddy teams rocking up to our place and sauntering off with 3 points!

I want us winning games, Robbie Neilson had us doing that, and I’ve every ****ing confidence he’ll have us doing it again!

100%

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Far from shocking considering the situation. 

I think every manager would love to play champagne football, but in Scotland it’s hard to attract/keep players that can do that.

Grinding our results against anti football is also needed.  

There was an article in The Scotsman recently with stats showing the Scottish Prem is one of the most direct leagues in Europe. We are a kick and run nation. Funnily enough, Robbie Neilson is someone who wants to get the ball down and play. It's simply not always possible when 9 times out 10 the opposition are happy to punt it up the park and hope someone fast gets on the end of it before a defender - as Stendel found to his and our cost.

Found it - https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/why-scottish-premiership-one-most-direct-leagues-europe-it-part-our-culture-and-identity-2883137

Edited by ToqueJambo

Phil D. Corners
9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

There was an article in The Scotsman recently with stats showing the Scottish Prem is one of the most direct leagues in Europe. We are a kick and run nation. Funnily enough, Robbie Neilson is someone who wants to get the ball down and play. It's simply not always possible when 9 times out 10 the opposition are happy to punt it up the park and hope someone fast gets on the end of it before a defender - as Stendel found to his and our cost.

Found it - https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/why-scottish-premiership-one-most-direct-leagues-europe-it-part-our-culture-and-identity-2883137

Interesting. Yeah I think it’s also to with players forced to Quickly pass before getting taken out. 

Gordon Ramsay
4 hours ago, NB GIN said:

It was coming it’s not easy to change from dull hoof ball to a pressing game but I seen more than enough evidence to suggest it was going to work . 
I personally think it’s a shocking appointment 

Daniel had enough time to show what he could do. What he served up wasn't good enough. Some of it was actually worse than Levein. Likeable guy, plenty of passion and energy but can't say I'm too sad to see him go. 

Robbie will sort us out, I'm sure of it. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Interesting. Yeah I think it’s also to with players forced to Quickly pass before getting taken out. 

The way Neilson wants to play football was very clear from the first few minutes of his first game when we nearly got caught out against Rangers, trying to play football out from the back. Ozturk and Alexander I think it was. Like many managers he found that Scottish football is not always the place for that.

Unlike some managers, like Cathro and it seemed to me Stendel, Neilson was willing to prioritise points over "style of play". No idea how anyone can see that as anything other than a good thing. Neilson will eventually have a bigger budget than he had with us before or with D Utd and MK Dons so it'll be interesting to see who he signs. I'm going to guess we'll get an injection of pace along with better footballers in midfield.

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 hours ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

:wow: 

Are you seriously asking that question?

On us finishing 3rd in the Premiership the previous season, or romping the Championship the season before that?

No?

You saying we would have finished 3rd based on what 😂 last time I checked a season has 38 games to play, is that not the point we are trying to argue with the spfl just now ? As I said before levein was a far more proven manager than Robbie, do you want to argue with me on that? 

4 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

No mate i just don't think Robbie is the man for the job, I have every belief Robbie will do well against the likes of St mirrens etc etc it's the bigger games i question him for 👍

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

No mate i just don't think Robbie is the man for the job, I have every belief Robbie will do well against the likes of St mirrens etc etc it's the bigger games i question him for 👍

Who do you think was the man for the job?

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Fair enough. History would indicate you are right tbh. Hopefully he’s learned a bit. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

How was it false when it was literally the position at that time 🤣 

Because the season hadn't finished plus Aberdeen had two games in hand, they just needed to win one and they over took rangers and us, we would've dropped to 3rd  level with the rangers on points but ahead on goal difference 👍

Fluorescent Adolescent
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You saying we would have finished 3rd based on what 😂 last time I checked a season has 38 games to play, is that not the point we are trying to argue with the spfl just now ? As I said before levein was a far more proven manager than Robbie, do you want to argue with me on that? 

You asked the ridiculous question of how could we judge him.

He’d already proven himself. 

Facts are facts. His win ratio is there for all to see.

A win ratio that is far higher than Leveins. You want to argue with me on that? 😘

13 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Who do you think was the man for the job?

My opinion i think the way it was handled was a bit shabby but football is ruthless, I admired Stendel for waiving his wages during our troubled times he understood us, and in my opinion wasn't really given a chance people saying he was properly backed that's a lot of nonsense, if the offer for Jake Mulraney hadn't come in we wouldn't of got Boyce it as simple as that. 

Dont people remember what Ann said at the press conference that it was a 1 out 1 in system. 

Ask yourself why that was, it wouldn't be that the budget was spunked by that charlatan, he played Budge and the whole support, then didn't even have the balls to waive his wages criminal honestly. 

I think Stendel was the man for the job, and wanted to see if he could change our club around for the long term, i enjoyed his all out attack and high pressing style. 

He didn't fear the Old firm and was driven to succeed. 

So I wanted Stendel to stay 👍

I think it's inevitable that Robbie will get his assistants.  DU will get their compensation again.  They have a load of applicants after the managers job and they will want their own staff.  Pointless but necessary charades by the DU side of things.  They aint going to exactly say "Oh, yeah take what you want come and get them". :) 

For the record I think Robbie is better than Levein, without providing stats,

:o

14 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

You asked the ridiculous question of how could we judge him.

He’d already proven himself. 

Facts are facts. His win ratio is there for all to see.

A win ratio that is far higher than Leveins. You want to argue with me on that? 😘

Yeah levein finished 3rd with a league that had, The rangers, hibs aberdeen and celtic in my opinion a far bigger achievement and a lot harder to achieve. 

When Robbie finished 3rd both the rankers and the vermin weren't in the league, so far easier to do I thought we should of finished 2nd that season Aberdeen and Celtic were both average that season. 

Levein also achieved more in Europe gave us great wins, against teams that were far superior at the time which Robbie was apart of as a player 👍

Fluorescent Adolescent
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

When Robbie finished 3rd both the rankers and the vermin weren't in the league, so far easier to do I thought we should of finished 2nd that season Aberdeen and Celtic were both average that season. 

Why weren’t they in the league, m8?

10 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yeah levein finished 3rd with a league that had, The rangers, hibs aberdeen and celtic in my opinion a far bigger achievement and a lot harder to achieve. 

When Robbie finished 3rd both the rankers and the vermin weren't in the league, so far easier to do I thought we should of finished 2nd that season Aberdeen and Celtic were both average that season. 

Levein also achieved more in Europe gave us great wins, against teams that were far superior at the time which Robbie was apart of as a player 👍

Have.  It’s have.

Did they choose not to be in that League?

32 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

My opinion i think the way it was handled was a bit shabby but football is ruthless, I admired Stendel for waiving his wages during our troubled times he understood us, and in my opinion wasn't really given a chance people saying he was properly backed that's a lot of nonsense, if the offer for Jake Mulraney hadn't come in we wouldn't of got Boyce it as simple as that. 

Dont people remember what Ann said at the press conference that it was a 1 out 1 in system. 

Ask yourself why that was, it wouldn't be that the budget was spunked by that charlatan, he played Budge and the whole support, then didn't even have the balls to waive his wages criminal honestly. 

I think Stendel was the man for the job, and wanted to see if he could change our club around for the long term, i enjoyed his all out attack and high pressing style. 

He didn't fear the Old firm and was driven to succeed. 

So I wanted Stendel to stay 👍

I completely agree mate.

What Stendel inherited impacted his results and he didn't have any real support from Budge to sort the squad out in January.

Will be interesting to see what Robbie gets resources wise out of all this. Will he be keen on Moore, Henderson, Brandon etc.

Edited by kila

19 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Why weren’t they in the league, m8?

Ok so do you believe Neilson's achievement is better 😂

17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Have.  It’s have.

Never said they did, but surely you can agree with me Craig's achievement is far better 👍😂

As i said let's see how he does when we play the likes of them time will tell. 

Having had time to process all this I believe Robbie is a good appointment for us under the current circumstances.

I understand where other fans are coming from by saying they are uninspired, I must admit if I'm being completely honest I'm not exactly over the moon about robbies appointment, But not gutted either.

I believe the club have went for a safe pair of hands in an uncertain period for the club, Yes most of us would have liked to have seen what stendel could do over a full season with his own players in the door, However there was really no guarantee that it would have worked out ?If thats fair? He was and remains a gamble for us, Say he lost a game in the championship? How much pressure would he then have been under from the fans? His honeymoon period was already over, I also think he was on a fair bit more than robbie would be earning with us, So i believe the decision was also motivated financially, The truth is he was the right guy at the wrong time for us as others have said.

My opinion on robbie is his style might not be as exciting as Daniel Stendels, or as attack minded, However it's not as defensive as a levein or a wright, i believe it's somewhere in between, When you look at his record at us last time he had a 58% win record which is pretty much the highest in our history barring 12 game George Burley! Neilson in a nutshell gets results, While not playing the most attractive type of football admittedly but at the end of the day if he gets us back up in one season and then 2 or 3 top 4 finishes in a row back in the top flight, I along with probably 99% of our support would absolutely bite your hand off for that, I honestly think given his past track record he can deliver it at the bare minimum.

My only concern with Robbie is his record in the derbies against Hibs and other big games like cup matches, i hope he is able to deliver better results in these type of games this time?

I suppose we will just have to wait and see though.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Have.  It’s have.

The finishing 3rd is shite argument as no hibs/ rangers is honking. 

It really is a ****ing idiots argument. 

1st of all, when were hibs  last in the top 3?

Hibs are irrelevant in regards to top 3 finishes. 

As you hiint, both were championship teams because of us under Robbie in the first place. 

When We were 3rd, rangers were ****ing 13th if folk want to play that game. 

****ing idiots. 

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

As you hiint, both were championship teams because of us under Robbie in the first place. 

When We were 3rd, rangers were ****ing 13th if folk want to play that game. 

****ing idiots. 

Good post it would seem there is a few on here that would  prefer to finish bottom of the league playing mystical football under the wonderful 

failed Stendel 

7 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

I think it's inevitable that Robbie will get his assistants.  DU will get their compensation again.  They have a load of applicants after the managers job and they will want their own staff.  Pointless but necessary charades by the DU side of things.  They aint going to exactly say "Oh, yeah take what you want come and get them". :) 

For the record I think Robbie is better than Levein, without providing stats,

:o

In that case, let Dundee Utd bring in a manager, and his assistants, and let them pay the compensation.    

Fluorescent Adolescent
7 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Ok so do you believe Neilson's achievement is better 😂

Ffs, you’re tying yourself in knots here. 😂

IF what Craig Levein achieved in the early 2000’s was in any way relevant to Hearts in 2016, surely it’d be relevant to Hearts in 2020. As in why did we replace Craig Levein with Daniel Stendal when Craig Leveins ‘achievements‘ in 2003 we’re ‘better’ than what DS had ever managed? And despite this, you clearly had a hard on for DS.....

Robbies win ratio in the Premiership was still higher than Leveins, btw. And that’s before we mention the Championship that some are so desperate to dismiss.

Pointless argument, we are where we are. In Robbie we have hired a manager who wins games of football more than most we employ.

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree that Hibs league position is irrelevant, but wanting them to win the Scottish Cup because you dislike Rangers truly is a ****ing idiots argument, if it's acceptable to describe another posters opinion in such a way.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I agree that Hibs league position is irrelevant, but wanting them to win the Scottish Cup because you dislike Rangers truly is a ****ing idiots argument, if it's acceptable to describe another posters opinion in such a way.

Agreed, absolutely the pits.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's really not. 

I dislike rangers more than hibs. 

I never wanted Hibs to win the sc either. 

Don't make things up. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's really not. 

I dislike rangers more than hibs. 

I never wanted Hibs to win the sc either. 

Don't make things up. 

You said you’d rather Hibs won it than the Huns. No PHM would ever say that.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You said you’d rather Hibs won it than the Huns. No PHM would ever say that.

I'd rather borris Johnson was pm than Farrage, doesnt mean I want either as pm tho. 

I'd rather lose my legs than my arms, but I don't want to lose either. 

Choosing one variable over another does not mean you want somthing. 

It's not a difficult concept to get around tbh. Been done to death. 

Why folk on a Hearts forum want to discuss hibs winning the sc is beyond me. 

It's remarkable that folk, even if they disagree can't accept that some might dislike another club more than hibs. Remarkable. 

I still dislike rangers more than hibs. 

Likley always will, although the situation is fluid. 

I don't care about being a PHM, especially in your eyes. On my lists of don't give a ****s, this is near the top tbh.

My season ticket purchase and foh contributions and even my paid membership on  here means I support the club in  tangible ways, PHM or not. 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd rather borris Johnson was pm than Farrage, doesnt mean I want either as pm tho. 

I'd rather lose my legs than my arms, but I don't want to lose either. 

Choosing one variable over another does not mean you want somthing. 

It's not a difficult concept to get around tbh. Been done to death. 

Why folk on a Hearts forum want to discuss hibs winning the sc is beyond me. 

It's remarkable that folk, even if they disagree can't accept that some might dislike another club more than hibs. Remarkable. 

I still dislike rangers more than hibs. 

Likley always will, although the situation is fluid. 

I don't care about being a PHM, especially in your eyes. On my lists of don't give a ****s, this is near the top tbh.

My season ticket purchase and foh contributions and even my paid membership on  here means I support the club in  tangible ways, PHM or not. 

Not sure disliking one thing over another is any sort of defence when it cones to Hibs and winning the Scottish cup. Not sure that’s acceptable under any circumstances and pretty embarrassing really. Quit while you’re mikes behind in that argument I’d suggest. 👍

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Not sure disliking one thing over another is any sort of defence when it cones to Hibs and winning the Scottish cup. Not sure that’s acceptable under any circumstances and pretty embarrassing really. Quit while you’re mikes behind in that argument I’d suggest. 👍

It's not an argument. 

Where is the argument, that way I feel is wrong? 

Folk can feel different, but the need to go on about it is mind boggling. 

I hope rangers never win a trophy in their new guise, ever and definitely not before we do. 

I'm pretty clear on that. 

Hibs winning the sc didn't touch the sides with me tbh. 

If Rangers had won it would have been hilarious, again. but they never. Life goes on. 

However, I never Wanted Hibs to win the cup, I only want Hearts to win it. 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

but wanting them to win the Scottish Cup because you dislike Rangers truly is a ****ing idiots argument, if it's acceptable to describe another posters opinion in such a way.

Great post, and it’s 100% acceptable 👍