Sporting Director

steve123

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Fair enough but how is Robbie or Pressley "connected" to Levein?

They're as connected to him as they are to any other Hearts player/manager during their time at Tynecastle. 

This needs stopped and starved of oxygen. Anyone who mentions Levein in regard to Robbie is either an arse or a hibby in my opinion.

He appointed Robbie after budgement day, clearly trusts him. Pressley was his captain for years, who has never had a bad thing to say about him.

If you were asked last week to pick two people that would keep the Levein chat going, they wouldn't be far from the top duo.

As much as I can remember, I don't think Weir or McCann played under him.

Thankfully it seems like it's Weir, so it shouldn't be a problem!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

He appointed Robbie after budgement day, clearly trusts him. Pressley was his captain for years, who has never had a bad thing to say about him.

If you were asked last week to pick two people that would keep the Levein chat going, they wouldn't be far from the top duo.

It never was. Dont make it one.

Given that AB has stated her plan was to appoint a new SD prior to a manager, and given that by all accounts there was a recognition that the SD and the manager had to be compatible.

Fast forward, it is very likely that the SD is in place, and as DS appears to have left the building, the SD has made known their preference for manager - RN, who in turn must have been party to who the new SD is before accepting his return to Tynie. In other words I would suggest they fulfill one of the original criteria- they are compatible.

SIMPLES!!!!!

Neil Dongcaster
3 minutes ago, TWF said:

Given that AB has stated her plan was to appoint a new SD prior to a manager, and given that by all accounts there was a recognition that the SD and the manager had to be compatible.

Fast forward, it is very likely that the SD is in place, and as DS appears to have left the building, the SD has made known their preference for manager - RN, who in turn must have been party to who the new SD is before accepting his return to Tynie. In other words I would suggest they fulfill one of the original criteria- they are compatible.

SIMPLES!!!!!

It should be that simple and probably is. However we are Hearts and seem loathed to keep things simple.

Mikey's first job was to appoint his good friend Robbie as Manager. 

:leveinproblem:

38 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

You would be one of them.

Do you sleep at night with the light on?

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

You would be one of them.

Do you sleep at night with the light on?

Obviously...how else am I supposed to know if Levein is hiding under there?

32 minutes ago, TWF said:

SIMPLES!!!!!

I have no idea if an SD is in place, but sometimes good opportunities become available suddenly and you have to act quickly.

I think when Ann knew Robbie was interested she correctly, IMO, jumped at it.  

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Oh aye? You seem to know more than that vague statement. Spill.

Just my personal opinion, let’s just wait and see ....

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

They would’ve played with him though, he didn’t leave until 1997. 

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

They would’ve played with him though, he didn’t leave until 1997. 

Thanks for clarifying, I'd have been 8 and couldn't be arsed researching before spouting :laugh:

Hold my hands up to that one.

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, TWF said:

SIMPLES!!!!!

She said that when she moved CL from DoF&manager. She contradicts herself a lot to be honest. Neilson is a popular guy and if it’s any of the names mentioned I’m sure they’re all ex teammates who usually get on. Mr unpopular has left the building.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

Thanks for clarifying, I'd have been 8 and couldn't be arsed researching before spouting :laugh:

Hold my hands up to that one.

Youngsters these days 😜

Love that someone said "DP" because they'd double-posted and now people think Donald Park is the new Sporting Director.

Berra than you

Gary lockes brother has tweeted saying Weir is a done deal. I would expect him to know what he's talking about 

28 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Perhaps new head of recruitment

Criteria:

Know your arse from  your elbow

4 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Gary lockes brother has tweeted saying Weir is a done deal. I would expect him to know what he's talking about 

Can't see that tweet

Berra than you
3 minutes ago, lou said:

Ah, I just checked his front page, good spot, looks like it will be Weir

Yeah looks like itm hoping he will prove good. Was doing a similar role to Gary Naysmith at Brighton so not sure how well that transfers to this role but wait and see. 

Hiring anyone with a big connection to either of the gruesome twosome comes with an expectation that they will dump you for them the first chance they get. If Weir has any success here he's on the first train to Glasgow. I'm really uncomfortable with that. I'd have rather we went for Donald Park or even JJ. Someone with heaps of experience who isn't likely to leave. Weir is still young for football management/ coaching so I'd expect he'll still have ambition to move up. But what we need is a commitment to a long term project to ultimately see us grow as a club.

I'm not criticising the guy for wanting to get to a bigger club, just that personally I don't want to be supplying the OF with anything or have any feeling within the club that going west is anything other than a sideways step that pays better. When someone moves typically they take their staff, I don't want our first team/coaching/ youth teams getting gutted because Weir gets a gig at the huns. Moreover, he'll have an in-depth knowledge of our youth set up and we will see cherry picking. Going down south is a different kettle of fish since thats not our rivals, I'm not sure he'd go down south again if there was a job on offer west. 

Then there is the whole mentality within Scottish football that the OF are this global ****ing superpower. Guys like Stendel or Paulo don't give a ****. An outside appointment into the Sporting Director role like Fyssas would have been good IMO. I don't see many highs ahead tbh. 

I'm maybe not being fair but based on what we've seen in the past it doesn't seem an unfair conclusion. If he has any success, we'll see how right I end up (hopefully very wrong). 

I'm a bit disappointed tbh. 

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Fair enough but how is Robbie or Pressley "connected" to Levein?

They're as connected to him as they are to any other Hearts player/manager during their time at Tynecastle. 

This needs stopped and starved of oxygen. Anyone who mentions Levein in regard to Robbie is either an arse or a hibby in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure if Levein had not been around, Robbie Neilson would have stayed longer with Hearts last time round. I also think he'd have performed better without Levein's influence and the signings might have been better (all speculation obviously)

Levein, surely to god, has been well and truly washed out of the club. He is halfway responsible for the mess we find ourselves in today. I dont expect any future Hearts management, be that the team manager/head coach or the SD/DOF to so much as take a call from Craig Levein. Anyone found to be taking his counsel would correctly and quickly be hounded out.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I'm pretty sure if Levein had not been around, Robbie Neilson would have stayed longer with Hearts last time round. I also think he'd have performed better without Levein's influence and the signings might have been better (all speculation obviously)

Levein, surely to god, has been well and truly washed out of the club. He is halfway responsible for the mess we find ourselves in today. I dont expect any future Hearts management, be that the team manager/head coach or the SD/DOF to so much as take a call from Craig Levein. Anyone found to be taking his counsel would correctly and quickly be hounded out.

To my mind Levein is entirely responsible for the mess we find ourselves in. Theres absolutely no halfway about it. 

He was given carte blanche to structure the football department of Scotlands 3rd biggest club in any way he saw fit with zero hangover from the previous regime. His structure, signings, thinking, philosophy etc. The total failure is entirely his to own. Derek McInnes, Tommy Wright, Stephen Robinson.. you name it, would have killed for the opportunity he had. Failing so miserably cannot be understated.  Its totally inexcusable the situation we find ourselves in. 

Davie Weir has a Masters degree in Sporting Directorship. 

Not only is he a clever, measured guy and a great player in his day but he's an expert in this position. 

Delighted to have the Horse back onboard. 🇱🇻 

ford donald
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Not only is he a clever, measured guy and a great player in his day but he's an expert in this position. 

Always struck me as a intelligent player calm and collective, quality shone through.

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Someone who experienced the scenes after we won the cup in 98 should know first hand what this club means to so many and it's huge potential. Weir should be a good fit to help drive us back up to where we belong. 

David Black
4 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

What’s happening to the coaching staff Stendel brought in?

Sievers I think was on the same contract as DS, The other guy was only on 4 months to the end of the season.

jamboinglasgow

I do hope whoever signs as Sporting Director has a big interview on Hearts TV when he signs, I will be fascinated to hear what their plans for different areas of their role, particuarly in regards to recruitment.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, David Black said:

Sievers I think was on the same contract as DS, The other guy was only on 4 months to the end of the season.

Possibly, not seen it mentioned.

Edited by Pasquale for King

thehibsareintheirbeds
20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm guessing he'll also have some great contacts up here and down south. Seems well respected too. Would be delighted too

jamboinglasgow
23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The first part I did not know he had. That helps me be happy with him a lot more.

I agree he ha always been a clever guy. Plus he has links with club down south, particuarly Everton which can help with recruitment. 

Pasquale for King

Looks like Weir then.

A cautionary tale ;- when he was at Brentford as assistant manager they bought an injured Lewis Mcleod from Rangers in December 2014 as soon as the window opened. Rangers were really desperate for cash, as usual, and the £850-£1.3m helped them enormously. In the February Brentford said they wanted to get away from their current model with a manager,assistant and sporting director  Frank Mcparland doing all the deals. They would implement a DoF and head coach to do all this to concentrate on bringing through youths. 
They left Brentford and immediately went to Rangers. They left Rangers under a cloud with rumours of dodgy dealings with their head of recruitment McParland. They then went to Nottingham Forest and the same happened. All conjecture of course. Mcparland has worked at Liverpool and Newcastle under Benitez, Weir will have good connections but if the Rangers need a wee hand I’m not sure what would happen.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Looks like Weir then.

A cautionary tale ;- when he was at Brentford as assistant manager they bought an injured Lewis Mcleod from Rangers in December 2014 as soon as the window opened. Rangers were really desperate for cash, as usual, and the £850-£1.3m helped them enormously. In the February Brentford said they wanted to get away from their current model with a manager,assistant and sporting director  Frank Mcparland doing all the deals. They would implement a DoF and head coach to do all this to concentrate on bringing through youths. 
They left Brentford and immediately went to Rangers. They left Rangers under a cloud with rumours of dodgy dealings with their head of recruitment McParland. They then went to Nottingham Forest and the same happened. All conjecture of course. Mcparland has worked at Liverpool and Newcastle under Benitez, Weir will have good connections but if the Rangers need a wee hand I’m not sure what would happen.

Time will tell, but I think this is a mistake. 

I have deep reservations about giving someone with such links to a rival such a crucial role within our club. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, OTT said:

Time will tell, but I think this is a mistake. 

I have deep reservations about giving someone with such links to a rival such a crucial role within our club. 

Me too. I would prefer the manager and Sporting Director to have no links or care for the uglies.

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

That he would still be lingering in the shadows. Can't be doing with hearing that all next season.

Ffs

He's not a ghost. 

Lingering in the shadows... 

:vrface:

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Agreed. 

He would piss of to rangers in a heart beat but that's life. 

Look at Robbie, despite our current situation, jumped at the chance to come back to us. 

Would also mean he was / had done well. 

I can live with that. 

47 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Always struck me as a intelligent player calm and collective, quality shone through.

He became a sweetie wife aggressive ring piece when he joined the huns.

Happy if he’s the SD though it would be a coup for us. 

49 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Someone who experienced the scenes after we won the cup in 98 should know first hand what this club means to so many and it's huge potential. Weir should be a good fit to help drive us back up to where we belong. 

Also my thoughts on the matter.

The chat about his Rangers connections is irrelevant. 

54 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He might end up being good at the job, but having a Masters degree doesn't make you an expert in a subject area, especially if you haven't actually done the job before.

6 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

He might end up being good at the job, but having a Masters degree doesn't make you an expert in a subject area, especially if you haven't actually done the job before.

No, but it's a good start. 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

Also my thoughts on the matter.

The chat about his Rangers connections is irrelevant. 

Let’s see when they inevitably come for one of our players, expecting favours  and bid their usual 50p a month for the next twenty years.

Edited by Pasquale for King

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, ford donald said:

Weir or McCann for me.

Sevco is the best place for these two.

He Who Cannot Be Named

I think its a really bad idea having a Sporting director with rangers leanings. Very very risky IMO.

jamboinglasgow
11 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

True, but at least shows someone who wants to take the role seriously that they have done a recognised course that provides the technical knowledge for a role. Its means they are not just an ex-pro who looking for a job and suddenly decides they want to try sporting director and applies.