Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

Lone Striker
13 hours ago, ramrod said:

The new DOF will decide Daniels fate and that's the way it should be 

What if the new DoF has a best mate coach currently looking for a career promotion.  Groundhog day ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

1 minute ago, Koolkeith said:

It’s a results driven business and I don’t rate him. He’s going to be playing with pretty much the same group of players again. I don’t think his style of football is suited to Scotland.  We paid a lot of money for him and have an opportunity to get rid of him for nothing. I’d like to see someone else in. 

Why is Scotland so different that a style of football that works in bigger and better leagues in various parts of the world doesn’t work in Scotland?

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

It’s a results driven business and I don’t rate him. He’s going to be playing with pretty much the same group of players again. I don’t think his style of football is suited to Scotland.  We paid a lot of money for him and have an opportunity to get rid of him for nothing. I’d like to see someone else in. 

Really ? What source told you that ?

black stump
12 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

Have to agree with this, its the same set of players that had us sitting bottom of the league, although to be fair we could see improvement on earlier in the season...

Who realistically is available that would do a better job?  No shortage of applicants for a huge club like us but the next appointment is crucial.

nobody obvious springs to mind for me...

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Really ? What source told you that ?

I mean that he was on pretty high salary from what was reported in the media and on here.

1 hour ago, black stump said:

Have to agree with this, its the same set of players that had us sitting bottom of the league, although to be fair we could see improvement on earlier in the season...

Who realistically is available that would do a better job?  No shortage of applicants for a huge club like us but the next appointment is crucial.

nobody obvious springs to mind for me...

It's a massive decision/risk either way, keeping him or getting someone new in.  Budge can't afford to get this decision wrong.

ford donald
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

What if the new DoF has a best mate coach currently looking for a career promotion.  Groundhog day ?

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Is he definitely going?

Looks like it,reading between the lines.

Jambo in Yorkshire

I saw nearly every home game when Barnsley won promotion last year, no defeats and lots of goals.

Ross and Sunderland way behind.

Dont knock that league as players left our Premier to play there.

Stendel will be good for us. We were bottom of the league for the calendar year so was always a tough ask.

Hearts winning and scoring goals is far more likely with him than the usual suspects who are getting mentioned.

8 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

I mean that he was on pretty high salary from what was reported in the media and on here.

Worth highlighting that Leveins and Macphee's salaries are now off the payroll and Stendel hasn't been taking a wage since this kicked off (3+ months). 

Point is, the money is there. The fans are on board with the vision (more or less).

My only concern is how Stendel tackles the games against weaker opposition who have no desire to play football and are content to hit on the break. 

HamishMcGonagall

I think it would be pretty poor form if we had a head coach who refused to take a salary as soon as lockdown came into force, who then wanted to return even with us having been demoted, for us to then turn round and say no, on you go, good luck finding another job in this climate.

We all wish he'd done better in the short time he was here, and there are some question marks over some of his decisions, such as continuing to play Pereira for so long, however I believe he deserves the chance to get us back up.  

Surely there were teams in the english league one who just wanted to sit in and defend, especially once the season got going and Barnsley were up the top of the league and faced the teams down the lower end.  I'm assuming he managed to get his team playing well enough to break down these teams.  I think he just needs more time to get his way of playing across to the team and to change the boring, hope for a 1-0 win levein mentality that was allowed to fester at our club for far too long.

I would argue that when we were good under Stendel, Aberdeen at home, Rangers at home (x2) and Hibs away, the football was as good as I've ever seen in my time watching the club.

It would always be a huge what if, if he does leave.

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Why is Scotland so different that a style of football that works in bigger and better leagues in various parts of the world doesn’t work in Scotland?

Completely agree with this. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It’s the teams you’re trying to play against. In Scotland they don’t want the ball. Shite like St Mirren and Hamilton just stick two monsters up front and shell it. The high line press is ineffective in 75% of our games.

2 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Ok. Fair enough. It’s opinion related and no one can say who’s right and who’s wrong. 

I don’t agree though with your point around his “style” not working in Scotland 

pretty sure he will have came up against teams sitting in, down south, when he was with Barnsley, and that didn’t hamper him at all

14 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I would argue that when we were good under Stendel, Aberdeen at home, Rangers at home (x2) and Hibs away, the football was as good as I've ever seen in my time watching the club.

Where I'm at.

What he inherited, especially given he didn't have any of his coaching staff in at first, means he has plenty goodwill left in me for him to stay.

7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

It’s the teams you’re trying to play against. In Scotland they don’t want the ball. Shite like St Mirren and Hamilton just stick two monsters up front and shell it. The high line press is ineffective in 75% of our games.

Surely if we had the players to play the system, keep the ball and open up defences better it would work. Liverpool play teams all the time who are happy to try and defend but ultimately get beat. I’m not comparing us to Liverpool btw, I’d barely compare us favourably to Tranmere the way it’s been going. 

I would maybe accept we didn’t have the players to play the way Stendel wanted against the wee teams but to say the system wouldn’t work in Scottish football isn’t right, imo of course. 

40 minutes ago, DS98 said:

There's a bit of that but i think it's more about the quality of player we have tbh.

Celtic and Rangers play high lines and hammer teams all the time because their players are good, they can keep possession and they can break teams down. We get turned over too easily and that's when we get countered.

Also, if you go back and watch 3-3 v St Johnstone, the 2-3 v Killie, 1-1 v Motherwell, we were all over them for the first 20-25 minutes, then after that were blowing out of our arses, unable to keep up the tempo or, cover distances quickly enough. 

We need to be better on the ball and defend better.  The majority of goals we have lost this season were down to individual errors when not taken the right option in possession or, defensive and goalkeeping mistakes. 

Nothing wrong with the tactics. The players are just not up to scratch. 

Oh it’s definitely got a lot to do with the players. If we had a Van Dyke at the back it would’ve been fine. The tactics were a breath of fresh air to begin with. But it’s the lack of flexibility which was Stendels biggest issue imo. The high press and over committing at all costs with zero regard for defending killed us.

The Hamilton game was a great example. You could tell the players were carrying out their instructions to the letter. Problem was Hamilton’s forwards weren’t even looking for the ball to feet, they just knew to be on their bike as soon as the goalie/defender had it. If their boy hadn’t been sent off we were looking at an absolute doing. Possible worse than Livi 5-0.

Ex member of the SaS

Stendel was all for the high pressing game. However in many of the games, those up front or in mid field didn't tackle the ball in the opposition half. They were too centered on Levein's play not to lose attitude. Had they got stuck in when the ball was in the opposition's defense we would have done better, we also lacked players who could score from 2 yards. Naismith was all over the park trying to get them playing right and he was not always where he should have been, had the rest done their jobs right. Pretty sure once Stendel works out Levein's legacy of defending a one goal lead we will do much much better.

Those calling for him ( Stendel ) to go, how many were happy to let Levein carry on for months when the rest of us were calling for his head?

24 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Oh it’s definitely got a lot to do with the players. If we had a Van Dyke at the back it would’ve been fine. The tactics were a breath of fresh air to begin with. But it’s the lack of flexibility which was Stendels biggest issue imo. The high press and over committing at all costs with zero regard for defending killed us.

The Hamilton game was a great example. You could tell the players were carrying out their instructions to the letter. Problem was Hamilton’s forwards weren’t even looking for the ball to feet, they just knew to be on their bike as soon as the goalie/defender had it. If their boy hadn’t been sent off we were looking at an absolute doing. Possible worse than Livi 5-0.

I do agree he stuck to the plan too rigidly. I think all teams, even the best ones, change things up a bit during games if the gameplan isn’t working. That’s a valid criticism imo. 

Edited by GinRummy

Stendel would have been watching Bundesliga games for the last few weeks and had potential targets identified through his contacts over there. It would be sheer folly to let him go at a time he could really shape us into something special. This is the blank canvass Stendel has been waiting for and he can do it with next to no pressure in the Championship 🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪 I'd be absolutely gutted if we lost him and ended up with some media fanboy like McCann

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

This! I think the man has earned the right for more time, should he wish to continue, let's face it, we need some sort of stability moving forward. 

2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Ok. Fair enough. It’s opinion related and no one can say who’s right and who’s wrong. 

pretty sure he will have came up against teams sitting in, down south, when he was with Barnsley, and that didn’t hamper him at all

Stendel isn’t seemingly allowed time. But he was never going to get it because we were in the shite. If he takes a team over after half a dozen matches there’s far less pressure, or even if he’d taken over at the start and inherited a poor side, he has plenty time to tweak, make his own mistakes, see where it needs to change with the leeway of a full season. 

We were playing much better football, positive football, much more enjoyable. Although we handed teams gifts early in some matches, look at the fighting spirit and way we actually came back at opponents, we could create chances and eh, score goals! Something disappearing at a fast rate under Levein. 

In some ways his positive approach exposed our frailties but he was caught between a rock and a hard place when it came to pondering a change in style. He could probably see we were scoring goals, playing more positively but also leaking goals too easily. For a time he gambled that maybe sticking with being positive would eventually outweigh the negatives?  

I personally would like to see him stay. It was clearly evident many individuals were playing much better which says to me he definitely can manipulate players and give them more motivation and intelligence to improve.  

2 hours ago, kila said:

Where I'm at.

What he inherited, especially given he didn't have any of his coaching staff in at first, means he has plenty goodwill left in me for him to stay.

His tactics against the bigger teams are the best that I’ve seen.

The Burley season and 97/98 are probably the best I’ve seen us play all together

I want him to stay and with a director of football who has an eye for the type of players he needs. If he could iron out the results against teams that are going to sit in then it would allow us to take a big step forward. 

37 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Stendel isn’t seemingly allowed time. But he was never going to get it because we were in the shite. If he takes a team over after half a dozen matches there’s far less pressure, or even if he’d taken over at the start and inherited a poor side, he has plenty time to tweak, make his own mistakes, see where it needs to change with the leeway of a full season. 

We were playing much better football, positive football, much more enjoyable. Although we handed teams gifts early in some matches, look at the fighting spirit and way we actually came back at opponents, we could create chances and eh, score goals! Something disappearing at a fast rate under Levein. 

In some ways his positive approach exposed our frailties but he was caught between a rock and a hard place when it came to pondering a change in style. He could probably see we were scoring goals, playing more positively but also leaking goals too easily. For a time he gambled that maybe sticking with being positive would eventually outweigh the negatives?  

I personally would like to see him stay. It was clearly evident many individuals were playing much better which says to me he definitely can manipulate players and give them more motivation and intelligence to improve.  

Good Post and well balanced 

Don’t really disagree with anything there in all honesty 

I certainly don’t think he is perfect. 

IMO I believe that in instances where we were caught out, it was a result of players making individual mistakes, rather than the tactic itself.

I personally put that down to a timing issue myself and I honestly don’t think that teaching a side, bereft or confidence, and way down the league table (when he arrived) is the best time to do it 

Players learn in time. He did it over a full season in Barnsley. Evidence is there that he can get it consistent 

Your 2nd paragraph hits the nail for me personally and still where I am at overall. I have heard some of the names muted as an alternative and for me, if we replaced Stendel with say,Neil McCann, or Tommy Wright, I just don’t see us being any further forward (in time) than if we stuck with Stendel 

8 hours ago, Redhelen said:

He said he couldn't reveal his source at the club because they'd get the sack if he did.

On the DOF front,  surely if you have a CEO and a good  scouting network you dont necessarily need one? Especially at a time when money is tight. Again, as an outsider looking in,  it seems a recipe for more jobs for the boys and cronyism which is what you want to move away from?

It isn’t necessarily a recipe for More jobs for the boys.

The Levein show was, and AB was heavily criticised for it, not because he was appointed, but for how long it took her to change it. That’s now in the past. 

she went out and got us Stendel, someone who had no links/ties to the club and I think right now, she would probably be more nervous about going down the road you infer than at any other point 

Reading between the lines It appears that Daniel would like an SD, and so he can concentrate on the coaching and tactics side. He has said so himself

hopefully we can get his contract situation sorted, sooner, rather than later 

Neil McCann as manager s***e, 

John Robertson as manager, s***e 

Daniel Stendel as manager managing Craig's brass monkeys? 

THE STENDEL EFFECT!!!. 

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

I was under impression Barnsley sacked him due to not being able to win football matches. I must admit ive only read the headlines on that.

3 hours ago, DS98 said:

I certainly agree that he jumped in feet first. Had he focused on one area at a time instead of making numerous tactical changes instantly, throughout the whole team, he might have been more successful. 

Jambo in Yorkshire

As posted many times Stendel won promotion to the Championship then Barnsley sold the keeper, 3 of the back 4 and their top scorer.

Not clever when you go up a league?

3 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Good Post and well balanced 

Don’t really disagree with anything there in all honesty 

I certainly don’t think he is perfect. 

IMO I believe that in instances where we were caught out, it was a result of players making individual mistakes, rather than the tactic itself.

I personally put that down to a timing issue myself and I honestly don’t think that teaching a side, bereft or confidence, and way down the league table (when he arrived) is the best time to do it 

Players learn in time. He did it over a full season in Barnsley. Evidence is there that he can get it consistent 

Your 2nd paragraph hits the nail for me personally and still where I am at overall. I have heard some of the names muted as an alternative and for me, if we replaced Stendel with say,Neil McCann, or Tommy Wright, I just don’t see us being any further forward (in time) than if we stuck with Stendel 

👍🏻

10 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Aye, just forget the fact that he won the league the season before, and it’s been well documented when Barnsley stepped up a division, he had the rug swept from his feet when they sold off their 4 main assets 

By all means Pick and choose what suits your own opinion 

8 hours ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

I saw nearly every home game when Barnsley won promotion last year, no defeats and lots of goals.

Ross and Sunderland way behind.

Dont knock that league as players left our Premier to play there.

Stendel will be good for us. We were bottom of the league for the calendar year so was always a tough ask.

Hearts winning and scoring goals is far more likely with him than the usual suspects who are getting mentioned.

5 hours ago, RudiIsGod said:

Stendel would have been watching Bundesliga games for the last few weeks and had potential targets identified through his contacts over there. It would be sheer folly to let him go at a time he could really shape us into something special. This is the blank canvass Stendel has been waiting for and he can do it with next to no pressure in the Championship 🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪 I'd be absolutely gutted if we lost him and ended up with some media fanboy like McCann

4 hours ago, ducatiboy said:

This! I think the man has earned the right for more time, should he wish to continue, let's face it, we need some sort of stability moving forward. 

4 hours ago, Mr Rabbit said:

His tactics against the bigger teams are the best that I’ve seen.

The Burley season and 97/98 are probably the best I’ve seen us play all together

I want him to stay and with a director of football who has an eye for the type of players he needs. If he could iron out the results against teams that are going to sit in then it would allow us to take a big step forward. 

Spot on 👏🏼

2 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I was under impression Barnsley sacked him due to not being able to win football matches. I must admit ive only read the headlines on that.

Wasn’t anything to do with that bud.

Paisley Jambo
On 17/06/2020 at 19:42, jamborich said:

Sorry but that is nonsense Craig levein knew the Scottish game and he fecked up, we need fresh ideas and I believe Stendal will deliver 

And to the other two or three that quoted my original post.

It is only an opinion as I feel appointing Robinson, Holt or Wright would have been a better option.

We never beat a Wright team at Perth and they had a decent record at Tynecastle. He has also won Scottish Cup. 

The five weeks and games wasted with McPhee set us further back and allowed the decay to be worse. 

Whoever gets, or remains, in the post we need to get fully behind as a support. Neilson was treated poorly, and due to the ineptness of our last two managers before Stendel, we are know in the default position of getting on the manager’s back instead of supporting.

Even though Stendel is not my choice I will support him.

3 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I think there was a bit more to it than the football results and toward the end of his tenure 

I’m the same as you though. Just what I have read, rather than what I know.

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Neil McCann as manager s***e, 

John Robertson as manager, s***e 

Daniel Stendel as manager managing Craig's brass monkeys? 

THE STENDEL EFFECT!!!. 

don’t diss John Robertson ever ever.. that’s just a big ****ing no no on here..

that aside. If Stendel could rebuild the team.. 100% behind him.. if not? Not sure .. had some great performances but far too many off days..  still can’t help but love the guy.

If Stendel is staying we should be considering bringing the players back into training asap. 

Give him/them as long as possible to get to grips with his style, and get them fit as... 

Especially if we intend on winning the court case and being a premiership team. 

Few rumours we have approached for the SD ROLE,  I have no idea who, guys are normally quite reliable on Twitter. 

Just now, Newton51 said:

Saw the rumours on Twitter earlier. Hinted sporting director was a former player and British

Paul Hartley 

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, parwj said:

Few rumours we have approached for the SD ROLE,  I have no idea who, guys are normally quite reliable on Twitter. 

Which twitter accounts?

You just can't initially think out the box and appoint a guy like Daniel Stendel, give him no time at all then replace him with absolute shite like McCann or Wright. 

These are the guys I wanted us to avoid in the first place!

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, DS98 said:

Works for Celtic, and Rangers most of the time.

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Saw the rumours on Twitter earlier. Hinted sporting director was a former player and British

I’m hearing Takis Fysass but just a rumour.

50 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

It’s 100% not Stendel.   Expect some movement on SD next week

Source? 

• davemclaren locked this topic