Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

Got to hope Hearts are offering to pay Stendel's wages for the last three months.

The guy did his very best and is now out of a job because of a relegation that might not have happened and which we are fighting in court.

What on earth happens if the courts overturn the SPFL decision and we are reinstated in the Premiership?

Stendel would still have a contract as Hearts manager - no?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

Good luck for the future Daniel from everyone on kickback.

He showed his class when he did take his wages unlike some peat Hearts at the time. ❤

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Shoddily treated ? 😂😂😂

He was a failure and out of contract. Thanks for not taking wages but you were a shite manager. 

Did the club even thank him for anything?  Yes shoddily treated we’ve appointed someone while he’s waiting to hear back too. 

4 minutes ago, Castle rock said:

I usually am 😞

"Things can only get better" :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Did the club even thank him for anything?  Yes shoddily treated we’ve appointed someone while he’s waiting to hear back too. 

Thank him for taking us to the bottom of the league or for not taking wages ? I’m sure he’s been thanked for the latter. Waiting to hear back ? 😂 He’s out of contract and done nothing to be asked back so no surprise he’s still waiting, if he is indeed. 

Edited by Dazo

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Thank him for taking us to the bottom of the league or for not taking wages ? I’m sure he’s been thanked for the latter. Waiting to hear back ? 😂 He’s out of contract and done nothing to be asked back so no surprise he’s still waiting, if he is indeed. 

Not taking ages and his service and commitment to the club maybe you know just a little bit of class? 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Unless AB can say differently it looks like she has used the situation with the imminent expulsion to the championship to get rid of him 

A 3 year deal for Neilson suggests this 

Is this linked into what the SD appointment also wanted and has this man been identified already ?

On face It took her 5 years to bin Levein and 17 games to get rid of Stendel. Talk about one extreme to another 

Would have expected some sort of statement first of all, and to explain what’s actually happened with DS and RN ... I hope we at least pay DS the last 3 months of his untaken salary given we can afford a 6 figure sum to take Neilson back 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Not taking ages and his service and commitment to the club maybe you know just a little bit of class? 

As I said I’m sure he’s been thanked for his wages pledge but service and commitment ? He was here for a few months, we were largely shite and he took us to bottom Of the league while we’ll paid So no don’t think I’ll bother with the thanks for that. 

6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Harsh in all honesty 

Yes bottom of the league, but let’s not forget that we were in free fall in 11th place when he came on board, and that he didn’t even have a coaching team with him when he arrived 

Don’t let that put you off 

8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Good Point 

Captain Canada

Hopefully there's a statement due out thanking Stendel for everything. He gave his best and made a great gesture with his salary. I'm sad to see him go. 

I'd have liked that to have gone out first tbh rather than announcing Neilson with no mention of Daniel at all. 

This appointment does throw up a lot of questions though: 

1) We were told just last week that the SD was the priority so why have we again appointed a new manager first?

2) Whose decision was it to part ways? Was the uncertainty a big issue for him? 

3) Why the need for change? A sign of another failed appointment after Cathro and CL? 

4) Do we have an inkling that we could be staying in the top flight because from Robbie's perspective, this move doesn't look to make much sense in the short term? 

5) How involved was CL in the first team during Robbies's first stint? 

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Harsh in all honesty 

Yes bottom of the league, but let’s not forget that we were in free fall in 11th place when he came on board, and that he didn’t even have a coaching team with him when he arrived 

Don’t let that put you off 

Football is a harsh business. I liked DS but he done nothing to earn another chance imo. We were poor and he didn’t improve us. 

6 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Unless AB can say differently it looks like she has used the situation with the imminent expulsion to the championship to get rid of him 

A 3 year deal for Neilson suggests this 

Is this linked into what the SD appointment also wanted and has this man been identified already ?

On face It took her 5 years to bin Levein and 17 games to get rid of Stendel. Talk about one extreme to another 

Would have expected some sort of statement first of all, and to explain what’s actually happened with DS and RN ... I hope we at least pay DS the last 3 months of his untaken salary given we can afford a 6 figure sum to take Neilson back 

Totally agree with all of this. 

Just now, Dazo said:

Football is a harsh business. I liked DS but he done nothing to earn another chance imo. We were poor and he didn’t improve us. 

It wasn’t harsh when payed Levein and McPhee for 6 months doing sod all.  A little more class in handling the situation wouldn’t have went a miss like is all I’m saying. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

It wasn’t harsh when payed Levein and McPhee for 6 months doing sod all.  A little more class in handling the situation wouldn’t have went a miss like is all I’m saying. 

Unfortunately we had to pay their contracts. Maybe we have spoken to DS and thanked him. Regardless he is a big boy in a tough business, I’m sure he’ll be ok. 

Edited by Dazo

wattie exploited
25 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Pretty certain the SD will have had a say in this. Expect some news in the next few days re. that. 

it was said that hearts were wanting to fix out a SD first before fixing out who was going to be manager ,

I think its pretty shit how stendals been treated really gutted for him as he would have came good and seemed a good guy ,anyway best wishes to him for the future and hopefully we will get a statement on who signed Robbie was it a SD who we dont know yet or was it Ann B ?quite a few questions to be answered still  

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The games against Sevco, the vermin and sheep suggest that he did improve us.

In fact, In terms of how well we played I would need to go back to the 4-0 against Septic @ tynie with Levein to be the last game before these 4, that we played as well as that 

Consistency wasn’t there, but that’s what he was working on and to get right. 

Every circumstance that was going on at the club at the particular time he came on board was against him in my honest opinion 

wattie exploited

who has made this decision Ann b ??  or our next mystery  SD ?

Edited by wattie exploited

6 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

who has made this decision Ann b ??  or our next mystery  SD ?

No doubt that the SD is lined up as AB was quoted this week as “feeling sorry for DS” but that her immediate priority was appointing an SD first 

This is suggestive that the SD is lined up and been consulted already given the news with RN 3 year deal. She would not have given RN a 3 year deal without having the SD lines up as this is the SD’s job to appoint the manager as they have to work together 

For me it is also suggestive that the SD will have a connection to Hearts given that RN has been appointed - that’s just a hunch more than anything 

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

All by the by now, Robbie Neilson has been appointed as manager and we will look to appoint a Director of Football later this week. I just hope this time round that Robbie doesn't need to turn to that DoF for guidance, when he did that under Levein that is when everything fell apart.

Wow!!!

16 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

it was said that hearts were wanting to fix out a SD first before fixing out who was going to be manager ,

I think its pretty shit how stendals been treated really gutted for him as he would have came good and seemed a good guy ,anyway best wishes to him for the future and hopefully we will get a statement on who signed Robbie was it a SD who we dont know yet or was it Ann B ?quite a few questions to be answered still  

I agree Wattie, I’d have loved for Stendel to stay. The fact he hasn’t makes me think a new SD has already been appointed and he has the final say. 

There’s a lot of speculation around: in summary:

The SD is appointed but not announced and endorsed Robbie as Manager.

Negotiations were underway with Stendel but terms could not be agreed.

Robbie had a break clause in his contract. 

This is what people are saying and it kind of adds up.

Kidd’s Boots

Had the devil's own job to try to undo the mess that had become season 19/20, and when it clicked there were the signs of something special. I'm feeling quite disappointed for him tonight, can't imagine what will be going through his mind.

PhoenixHearts
On 18/06/2020 at 07:04, PhoenixHearts said:

Great premiership manager too.

Qualified for europe in his first top flight season and had us in 2nd place when he left.

Would have him back in a heartbeat if Stendel can't return.

Just saying. 

jamboinglasgow

Gutted he didn't get a chance as I would love to see him implement the style he wanted and seemed to get a lot of the youngsters. But it may be for the best for both sides that they can part on good terms now. As other says, it appears a case of the right manager at the wrong time.

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Had the devil's own job to try to undo the mess that had become season 19/20, and when it clicked there were the signs of something special. I'm feeling quite disappointed for him tonight, can't imagine what will be going through his mind.

Yeah me too. You never know he might be back one day in this cyclical style of managerial hiring.

Kidd’s Boots
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah me too. You never know he might be back one day in this cyclical style of managerial hiring.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed 

Me neither, as long as it’s not Cathro-Levein-Macphee first 🙈.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Thanks for everything Danny including taking no wages to help the club out.  Shoddily treated but hey ho good luck elsewhere. 

Paid a fortune. Given a lot of money to spend in January. Allowed to bring in his own coaching team. Delivered very little. Not sacked. I liked him but if that's being treated shoddily.... I would have loved to see what he could do after a normal summer but this has been no normal summer, so we can only judge him on what he did.

Edited by ToqueJambo

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

I agree Wattie, I’d have loved for Stendel to stay. The fact he hasn’t makes me think a new SD has already been appointed and he has the final say. 

I think if  A SD had already been appointed it would have been announced  pretty weird timing hopefully who ever it is its going to be someone good and not a numpty like CL :rifle: 

2 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

I think if  A SD had already been appointed it would have been announced  pretty weird timing hopefully who ever it is its going to be someone good and not a numpty like CL :rifle: 

Elvis maybe 🤔

4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Apparently he has taken another job and informed AB so i believe.

55 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Paid a fortune. Given a lot of money to spend in January. Allowed to bring in his own coaching team. Delivered very little. Not sacked. I liked him but if that's being treated shoddily.... I would have loved to see what he could do after a normal summer but this has been no normal summer, so we can only judge him on what he did.

😂😂😂😂

Unknown user
4 hours ago, Pilmuir said:

There’s a lot of speculation around: in summary:

The SD is appointed but not announced and endorsed Robbie as Manager.

Negotiations were underway with Stendel but terms could not be agreed.

Robbie had a break clause in his contract. 

This is what people are saying and it kind of adds up.

Or,

Daniel has had another offer and told us he can't wait any longer

7 hours ago, Dazo said:

And who put the relegation clause in his contract? I’m assuming at his insistence in the first place. 

Thanks for giving it your best in the circumstances, all the best. 

Thank you Daniel!

Would have liked to have seen you get another chance but overall i feel the club have made a good decision.

I enjoyed your attacking style but always thought we were a bit too open at the back! Maybe you could have made us more solid with your own players? 

Anyway good luck in the future and all the best.

DS should not have persevered with the shocking Man Utd loanee goalkeeper for so long. We would have had several more points and we wouldn't be in this position we are in today with a decent GK.  Also, by playing a style of play that did not complement the types of players we had in the defensive area of the team, we lost other stupid goals too. How many times did you see Hearts defenders running up to 50 yards to catch an opponent. Coaches from other teams knew just to play the ball long, every time the Hearts defenders went to, or crossed the half way line. When fighting for points, taking unnecessary risks is futile and, in the end, the defensive lapses and terrible goalkeeping cost Hearts dearly and lost DS a very good job at Hearts. The wins against Rangers and Hibs were nice but hardly enough. The last game with St. Mirren should have been treated like a cup final by Hearts and yet, they showed up unmotivated and they got beat by a poor team. Even the goal St. Mirren scored should have been disallowed by competent match officials as we all saw that the goalscorer controlled the ball with his hand before shooting. You simply can't have a poor goalkeeper playing week in and week out who literally was throwing the ball into his own net. What a disaster and the question is why didn't DS see the need to go after Craig Gordon who it seems was available. Ofr even use the Czech gk long before he did. Our 23 points should have been in the mid thirties with competent goalkeeping and proper traditional defending. Its obvious the Hearts players had not much of an idea to play this new role that DS was asking them to play..with a couple of exceptions. When you don't have confidence in your goalkeeper then the rest of the team falls down with every easy shot that went into our net. I liked DS, and it's too bad he couldn't get the players he wanted to be a winner here but, at the same time, he showed poor judgement on occasion and had too much faith in a goalkeeper that, frankly, was just not good enough.

Edited by rogers

11 hours ago, Dazo said:

Shoddily treated ? 😂😂😂

He was a failure and out of contract. Thanks for not taking wages but you were a shite manager. 

This. 

4 hours ago, Pagey said:

And who put the relegation clause in his contract? I’m assuming at his insistence in the first place. 

Thanks for giving it your best in the circumstances, all the best. 

I’m sure he and the club wanted it but it does show some lack of confidence in his ability to get us out of the mess. I liked him but we were poor, better football no doubt but still poor. 

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, rogers said:

DS should not have persevered with the shocking Man Utd loanee goalkeeper for so long. We would have had several more points and we wouldn't be in this position we are in today with a decent GK.  Also, by playing a style of play that did not complement the types of players we had in the defensive area of the team, we lost other stupid goals too. How many times did you see Hearts defenders running up to 50 yards to catch an opponent. Coaches from other teams knew just to play the ball long, every time the Hearts defenders went to, or crossed the half way line. When fighting for points, taking unnecessary risks is futile and, in the end, the defensive lapses and terrible goalkeeping cost Hearts dearly and lost DS a very good job at Hearts. The wins against Rangers and Hibs were nice but hardly enough. The last game with St. Mirren should have been treated like a cup final by Hearts and yet, they showed up unmotivated and they got beat by a poor team. Even the goal St. Mirren scored should have been disallowed by competent match officials as we all saw that the goalscorer controlled the ball with his hand before shooting. You simply can't have a poor goalkeeper playing week in and week out who literally was throwing the ball into his own net. What a disaster and the question is why didn't DS see the need to go after Craig Gordon who it seems was available. Ofr even use the Czech gk long before he did. Our 23 points should have been in the mid thirties with competent goalkeeping and proper traditional defending. Its obvious the Hearts players had not much of an idea to play this new role that DS was asking them to play..with a couple of exceptions. When you don't have confidence in your goalkeeper then the rest of the team falls down with every easy shot that went into our net. I liked DS, and it's too bad he couldn't get the players he wanted to be a winner here but, at the same time, he showed poor judgement on occasion and had too much faith in a goalkeeper that, frankly, was just not good enough.

Good summary of why DS is no longer needing his HMFC tie this morning. 17 odd games is a long enough interview. Wish him only the  best though.

14 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

He’ll end up at Sunderland next. 

If only, there's no chance the shysters running our club will bring him in though I'll be delighted if your'e right.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

If only, there's no chance the shysters running our club will bring him in though I'll be delighted if your'e right.

I wouldn’t be so sure. Hearts in the SPL was too big a job for him if you listen to some of the dingbats on here. 
Ive always felt Sunderland a kind of poisoned chalice though. Nobody can seem to make a job of them for very long. 

tynietigers

From what I was told he told Hearts he couldn’t wait on the trial as he had other offers on the table 👍🏻 So it is all amicable and nobody has been shafted 😉

Right man at the wrong time? I see this far too much, he had a decent squad, half a season and we were still shit. 

Aside from the Hibs & Rangers results, he was absolutely bollocks. The St Mirren game was an absolute low point of the last 5 years.

He wasn't shafted, he has other offers - no idea why. 

Handshakes all round and see you later Stendel. 

Thankfully. 

17 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Right man at the wrong time? I see this far too much, he had a decent squad, half a season and we were still shit. 

Aside from the Hibs & Rangers results, he was absolutely bollocks. The St Mirren game was an absolute low point of the last 5 years.

Thankfully. 

Unfortunately that result was his legacy. Everyone knew the importance.Apart from the team.
Unforgiveable result. 
We all wanted him to succeed but he didn’t. 

jack D and coke
56 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

From what I was told he told Hearts he couldn’t wait on the trial as he had other offers on the table 👍🏻 So it is all amicable and nobody has been shafted 😉

Why did we wait so long to offer him anything though? It looked like the last thing on our mind and then the minute he announces he’s off we move like shite off a shovel and get a manager on a 3 year deal with the added wages of Davie Weir/Fysass type SD...

All my opinion of course but it looks fairly clear we didn’t want him to carry on. In that case we should have put him straight a couple of months ago and let him and us move on. 
It’s done now I suppose so hopefully RN can be good for us. I just hope he’s more positive though. 

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Thankfully. 

It was awful I agree.  
Our record there is utterly appalling though like it is at most away grounds tbf. 
One goal or one point there in ten games or something hideous like that. 
Absolutely shocking stuff. 

55 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Hearts in the SPL was too big a job for him if you listen to some of the dingbats on here. 
Ive always felt Sunderland a kind of poisoned chalice though. Nobody can seem to make a job of them for very long. 

I've supported Sunderland for nearly sixty years and would have to agree with you. The 1973 F.A. Cup win is our only real bit of glory in that time. We had a couple of good seasons around the turn of the century under Peter Reid, playing attractive, exciting football. Once Niall Quinn was over the hill Reid lost his way.

We entered a pattern of being in a relegation fight, replacing the manager, staying up and repeating it a year later. Martin O'Neill, Paolo Di Canio, Gus Poyet, Dick Advocat and Sam Allardyce all completed the Houdini act and all were gone before the end of the next season though the latter two left of their own accord. Then came the disaster that was David Moyes and now we're looking at a third straight season in the third tier. Of that list the one I was and am most sorry to see get the bullet was Di Canio. His sacking was a perfect example of why owners should back their manager over their players.

Heart of Midlothian is a fine football club and I was disappointed for you when you lost to Dundee in the final match of 1985-6. For Sunderland supporters of my generation the greatest sadness was having a board of directors who didn't give Brian Clough the manager's job when the opportunity arose on more than one occasion . How different our modern history would have been.

Good Luck to you whichever division you're in when football restarts.

Ex member of the SaS

I find it hard to believe that Stendel was shafted. Budge does not work that way and he has been consulted every step of the way. I feel sure he was OK with how things have been handled.

• davemclaren locked this topic