Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

For what it's worth I think some of the football we played under Neilson was the best I'd seen as a Hearts fan. We blew away the Championship in his first few months. Beat Rangers home and away, and beat them well I'd argue. Won that league at a canter. How many managers then take a team into the top league in Scotland and finish third straight off the bat? We got good wins in that league as well. Finished his time with us having beaten Rangers 2-0 (twice, I think) and in second place.

In no way is Neilson not a good appointment. A win rate of 58% at Hearts between 2014 and 2016 and 57% at United. 

First appointment in a very long time that I've felt comfortable with.

Stendel promised a lot but delivered very little. Agree with all those so far who have said that with the squad he had we should not have been where we were in the league. Boyce aside I don't think Stendel's signings promised much either - Advijaj and Langer showed very little. Sibbick had one good game. Also thought binning Berra was naive. He was on a very poor run of form but I wouldn't have binned him in that manner. 

Really do hope Robbie coming back marks a turning point for the club.

While I agree the championship season was very good it’s not a stretch to say Hearts should be finishing 3rd most seasons whether just promoted or not with our resources compared to the other clubs in Scotland and of course our new rude financial health. 
I’m not going to keep being negative anyway, he’s here now and obviously I want him to do great. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

wattie exploited

I really hope we have a statement  from hearts thanking Daniel for his time here and maybe clear up a few facts as who picked  Robbie  as it was said last week that nothing would be decided until we got a SD  first maybe I am missing something here anyway hearts till I die :rifle: 

3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

I think Neilson is well past the flash in the pan stage now.

Aye it was down the pan his career in England. 

3 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

I really hope we have a statement  from hearts thanking Daniel for his time here and maybe clear up a few facts as who picked  Robbie  as it was said last week that nothing would be decided until we got a SD  first maybe I am missing something here anyway hearts till I die :rifle: 

Baffling why we haven’t tbh.

More chance if Daniel thanking the club and the support through the EEN tomorrow and just before it a quick paragraph on the website.

Maybe because there was no thanks for Craig’s contribution over the years Ann doesn’t want to do otherwise for Daniel? 

CloustonHMFC

I get the impression some people genuinely believe we’ve just went and appointed RN without any kind of conversation with DS. No danger have we done that. There will have been communication with the club.

People also seem to think our new sporting director will have chosen the new manager but that’s not within their remit. They may have been asked by the board who they think is a good enough replacement but they won’t have had the final say. The fact that Neilson has been appointed as manager and not head coach says that. 

9 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

I get the impression some people genuinely believe we’ve just went and appointed RN without any kind of conversation with DS. No danger have we done that. There will have been communication with the club.

People also seem to think our new sporting director will have chosen the new manager but that’s not within their remit. They may have been asked by the board who they think is a good enough replacement but they won’t have had the final say. The fact that Neilson has been appointed as manager and not head coach says that. 

Why doesn’t the club just put a short statement thanking Daniel for his efforts and going without pay and wish him well for the future?  It’s a shit way to treat a stranger to our game that showed he was happy assist as much as he could.  All this could have been done before approaching Dundee Utd.   We can’t complain in the future if we ever get a good enough manager or first team coach wanted by bigger clubs and they resign. 

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/an-update-from-ann

An update from Ann

22nd June 2020

Let me begin by warmly welcoming Robbie Neilson back to the club as first-team manager. Robbie will take up his duties, officially, on 1st July, 2020.

The news that Robbie is to return to Hearts has taken everyone somewhat by surprise. It was my stated intention to prioritise the appointment of a Sporting Director, prior to confirming any new manager appointment. However, in all businesses, even “the best laid plans” may have to be altered to cope with changing circumstances. 

While Robbie agreeing to come back is excellent news, it does mean we have to say goodbye to Daniel. The uncertainties surrounding Scottish Football in general and Hearts’ situation in particular, has put enormous pressure on all of us, not least Daniel. He has shown great patience and understanding throughout this enormously challenging time. I cannot thank him enough for the support he has given to our Club. 

None of us expected our relationship to be so short-lived but then none of us ever expected to have to deal with the effects of a global pandemic. It is clear that all Clubs are having to rethink their short-medium plans and we are no different.

I do want to thank Daniel very sincerely for his fantastic support and leadership during his short spell with us. He made a big impact on our operation and we are much better for having had his services. Had it not been for Covid-19 and its impact, I have no doubt that Daniel would have had a very successful and enjoyable time here at Hearts.

Daniel became a firm fans’ favourite in a very short space of time. On behalf of everyone here at the Club, the Board, the staff, the players and, of course, the supporters, I want to wish him and his assistants, Jorg Sievers and Dale Tonge, the very best of luck for their future success. They will always be welcomed back here at Tynecastle.

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

While I agree the championship season was very good it’s not a stretch to say Hearts should be finishing 3rd most seasons whether just promoted or not with our resources compared to the other clubs in Scotland and of course our new rude financial health. 
I’m not going to keep being negative anyway, he’s here now and obviously I want him to do great. 

My hindsight might be clouded by how disappointing it's been since Neilson left. But would agree we should be finishing 3rd most season but he's the last guy to get us there. That says a lot to me about his quality as a manager. Hope it turns out well.

Nicely written by your owner. Hopefully for you and Daniel things have worked out for the best.

Just now, jambogemz said:

Bit of a nothing update really. 

The proper thing to do though, maybe should have been last night however. 

wattie exploited
19 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Why doesn’t the club just put a short statement thanking Daniel for his efforts and going without pay and wish him well for the future?  It’s a shit way to treat a stranger to our game that showed he was happy assist as much as he could.  All this could have been done before approaching Dundee Utd.   We can’t complain in the future if we ever get a good enough manager or first team coach wanted by bigger clubs and they resign. 

sorted out now :rifle:

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

He is taking over a different set of circumstances entirely. You’re clearly someone who has an all or nothing approach. That’s evident from your posts. Nothing can be guaranteed 100%. I’ll wait and see what happens. Lets see where RN’s level really is.

Worth noting that against St Mirren we had just 7 shots on goal with Washington, Naismith and Boyce on the park. Stendel was supposed to be this attack minded manager but he came across as a Jimmy Calderwood "throw as many strikers up front as you can"  type against the smaller teams or when things weren't going well.

One thing about Neilson was he always had us both having a lot of possession AND creating lots of chances. Just had a discussion on another thread recalling when Neilson went to Celtic Park with Juanma as our only real striker and had more possession and more shots on goal - 14 - than Celtic. We were let down by our forwards missing chances in that game but there;'s no doubt we went there to attack. 

If he can find the right combination of strikers (and he's done that with us and Dundd Utd) there's absolutely no doubt Neilson can set up a team to supply them with chances. He also got more goals out of the likes of Walker, Djoum and Paterson than any other manager those players had.

These are two things we've not being doing since Neilson left - creating enough chances and getting more goals from throughout the team. Neilson's got a proven track record of doing both. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Clark Griswold
39 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Baffling why we haven’t tbh.

More chance if Daniel thanking the club and the support through the EEN tomorrow and just before it a quick paragraph on the website.

Maybe because there was no thanks for Craig’s contribution over the years Ann doesn’t want to do otherwise for Daniel? 

:ninja: 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, kila said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/an-update-from-ann

An update from Ann

22nd June 2020

Let me begin by warmly welcoming Robbie Neilson back to the club as first-team manager. Robbie will take up his duties, officially, on 1st July, 2020.

The news that Robbie is to return to Hearts has taken everyone somewhat by surprise. It was my stated intention to prioritise the appointment of a Sporting Director, prior to confirming any new manager appointment. However, in all businesses, even “the best laid plans” may have to be altered to cope with changing circumstances. 

While Robbie agreeing to come back is excellent news, it does mean we have to say goodbye to Daniel. The uncertainties surrounding Scottish Football in general and Hearts’ situation in particular, has put enormous pressure on all of us, not least Daniel. He has shown great patience and understanding throughout this enormously challenging time. I cannot thank him enough for the support he has given to our Club. 

None of us expected our relationship to be so short-lived but then none of us ever expected to have to deal with the effects of a global pandemic. It is clear that all Clubs are having to rethink their short-medium plans and we are no different.

I do want to thank Daniel very sincerely for his fantastic support and leadership during his short spell with us. He made a big impact on our operation and we are much better for having had his services. Had it not been for Covid-19 and its impact, I have no doubt that Daniel would have had a very successful and enjoyable time here at Hearts.

Daniel became a firm fans’ favourite in a very short space of time. On behalf of everyone here at the Club, the Board, the staff, the players and, of course, the supporters, I want to wish him and his assistants, Jorg Sievers and Dale Tonge, the very best of luck for their future success. They will always be welcomed back here at Tynecastle.

Class as usual.

5 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

The proper thing to do though, maybe should have been last night however. 

Yeah agreed.

I just thought there would be a bit more information regarding Stendels departure given his comments as recently as Wednesday.

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

Nicely written by your owner. Hopefully for you and Daniel things have worked out for the best.

There was a podcast where our ex captain has said he heard some things that possibly Ann Budge and Daniel Stendel didn’t have a great relationship. He didn’t go into much detail but imo we kept him hanging on and on and then moved like lightning to get our ex manager in Neilson who we know had a great relationship with her. That spoke volumes to me....
I’m not against Robbie Neilson but I feel a chance of something different has slipped through our fingers and of course we’ll never know now. It’s a real slog up here starting every single season knowing you can’t win the league and I felt with Stendel he had no ingrained fear of playing the Glasgow giants and that he’d completely change our mindset right through the club and have us actually going at them instead of our usual gutless, cowardly displays. I’m really gutted at him not getting the chance to have a real go at it with his own team. 
Something told me early on this wouldn’t last very long and it’s turned out exactly like that. 
I wish him well. 

Edited by jack D and coke

So we’ve replaced the man that’s about to be appointed the Schalke manager with a man that took two seasons to get out the Vida league........................ Only in Scotland. Only Hearts indeed. 

Sorry. I promise am trying to stay positive about Robbie. I am trying. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

So we’ve replaced the man that’s about to be appointed the Schalke manager with a man that took two seasons to get out the Vida league........................ Only in Scotland. Only Hearts indeed. 

Is that right? Makes my heart sink that does....

Good luck to him and Schalke then😢

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

There was a podcast where our ex captain has said he heard some things that possibly Ann Budge and Daniel Stendel didn’t have a great relationship. He didn’t go into much detail but imo we kept him hanging on and on and then moved like lightning to get our ex manager in Neilson who we know had a great relationship with her. That spoke volumes to me....
I’m not against Robbie Neilson but I feel a chance of something different has slipped through our fingers and of course we’ll never know now. It’s a real slog up here starting every single season knowing you can’t win the league and I felt with Stendel he had no ingrained fear of playing the Glasgow giants and that he’d completely change our mindset right through the club and have us actually going at them instead or our usual gutless, cowardly displays against them. I’m really gutted at him not getting the chance to have a real go at it with his own team. 
Something told me early on this wouldn’t last very long and it’s turned out exactly like that. 
I wish him well. 

I think given the situation your club was in, his limited English and being new to the club having a great relationship may not have been easy in such a short space of time. But you need to be pulling together as a club and it sounds as though Nielsen will fit in better.  I'm sure Daniel will have learned loads from his adventures in the UK and I'm sure he'll delight fans of other clubs the way he did us with his passion for the game.

3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

☹️ :confused:  If true I am still blaming 2 things, the pandemic and the consequent vote to relegate us.  I am not buying Ann wouldn't have kept him on.  It says so in the statement.

J.T.F.Robertson
9 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

If that is true, I wonder which direction he'd have gone? (I don't really)

queensferryjambo

Just for the record I don't see a single paper reporting that Hearts have yet again been punished by the SPFL early finishing of the season. Had the SPFL not made such a monumental **** up of finishing the league early and putting Hearts into another division Stendel would more than likely still be our manager and we would be back in training right now.

Hearts have had to pay compensation for Neilson.

Absolutely scandalous. 

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

At what level?

5 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Just for the record I don't see a single paper reporting that Hearts have yet again been punished by the SPFL early finishing of the season. Had the SPFL not made such a monumental **** up of finishing the league early and putting Hearts into another division Stendel would more than likely still be our manager and we would be back in training right now.

Hearts have had to pay compensation for Neilson.

Absolutely scandalous. 

Part of compo argument ammo if we get there, i would imagine. How about no loans avaialble to us now as we are at too low a prof. Level to attract. Etc. Etc.

CloustonHMFC
29 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

If he has an offer to become the Schalke manager, he was never staying anyway and with the prospect of potential championship football it could have been difficult to entice someone similar. I’m happy with the appointment of Robbie, he’ll do the job required. 

wattie exploited

who said he is going to Schalke  ?   

Anyway where ever he goes good luck to him , Really think if he had  a preseason and his own team we would be doing very well but it is what it is and am glad that we have Robbie back instead of a lot of the other names that where being quoted :rifle:

2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Where did you get the info he’ll be Schalke manager..?

wattie exploited
2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

SV Meppen fans have a petition going to bring him in. German 3rd Liga.

he is better than that :rifle:

21 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Schalke or Hearts lol, not that I believe it Schalke are massive.

Thing is mate  we are in a league that’s run by muppets and as corrupt as the mafia themselves. Don’t blame him for wanting away from the spfl tossers. Believe he knew and loved what we are ...... a fantastic  club with fantastic unbelievable top notch fan base with massive potentials but unfortunately in a league that’s run for the 2 ugly sisters from the west. Well that’s my opinion 🤷‍♂️

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, One five said:

Thing is mate  we are in a league that’s run by muppets and as corrupt as the mafia themselves. Don’t blame him for wanting away from the spfl tossers. Believe he knew and loved what we are ...... a fantastic  club with fantastic unbelievable top notch fan base with massive potentials but unfortunately in a league that’s run for the 2 ugly sisters from the west. Well that’s my opinion 🤷‍♂️

this  :rifle:

Unknown user

Schalke?? :laugh2:

Bloody hell that's a mental shout, crazy!

He might well get a job coaching their bairns or something but going from unemployed to an unsuccessful 4 month stint in the scottish league isn't exactly going to have giants from one of the best leagues in the world offering the manager's job.

155,000 members, 62,000 seater stadium, 7th highest operating income in the world, no debt.

And they're going for the manager of the team bottom of the Scottish league?

Wish he'd been appointed after the cup final. 

Best of luck Daniel. 

You acted with dignity 

15 hours ago, busby1985 said:

😂😂😂😂

ffs DS is not going to be the Schalke manager. 

Gordon Ramsay

I'd be absolutely astounded if Schalke appointed a guy who won what 2 games in the Scottish premier league. 

Let's not kid ourselves, Daniel had his chance and he didn't take it. 

We are better off with Neilson. 

54 minutes ago, Dazo said:

😂😂😂😂

ffs DS is not going to be the Schalke manager. 

33 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I'd be absolutely astounded if Schalke appointed a guy who won what 2 games in the Scottish premier league. 

Let's not kid ourselves, Daniel had his chance and he didn't take it. 

We are better off with Neilson. 

We can blame Levein for creating all this mess, but ultimately Stendel got us relegated. I genuinely believe if we’d appointed someone like McCall or McCann, we wouldn’t be where we are. He changed things too quickly. Can’t see him getting the Schalke job. 

pettigrewsstylist
16 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Shalke  wow. Never saw that coming. What sort of deal did he get with them?

I see Daniel is saying he found out through a 3rd party that Hearts appointed Neilson.

Pretty poor if true!!

Howdy Doody Jambo
8 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

I see Daniel is saying he found out through a 3rd party that Hearts appointed Neilson.

Pretty poor if true!!

What should Ann have had to ask Stendel for his permission if it was OK 

Football is ruthless  

Rick Sanchez

I don't think Ann could be arsed with him if I'm honest.

Wish him all the best in the future.

36 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Pretty poor if true!!

I wouldn't have thought it's normal practice to call up an ex-manager to tell him who is replacing him.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
32 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

What should Ann have had to ask Stendel for his permission if it was OK 

Football is ruthless  

Stendel says he’s had apologies for it. Pretty shabby but as ever, no-one would want to see Budge criticised in any way 

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Stendel says he’s had apologies for it. Pretty shabby but as ever, no-one would want to see Budge criticised in any way 

No one would want to see Budge criticised ? 😂 you walking about this forum with your eyes shut ?

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

I wouldn't have thought it's normal practice to call up an ex-manager to tell him who is replacing him.

No but I’d imagine it’s normal practice to say he won’t be required before announcing the replacement, especially when he had taken a full pay cut pretty much as soon as this pandemic started.  He makes a valid point that his wage freeze (which I’m led to believe was a hefty wage) would have helped pay the Dundee utd compensation. I don’t think Ann handled this well at all,  I’d love to know what the urgency was to make the appointment. 

1 minute ago, scotty2442 said:

No but I’d imagine it’s normal practice to say he won’t be required before announcing the replacement, especially when he had taken a full pay cut pretty much as soon as this pandemic started.  He makes a valid point that his wage freeze (which I’m led to believe was a hefty wage) would have helped pay the Dundee utd compensation. I don’t think Ann handled this well at all,  I’d love to know what the urgency was to make the appointment. 

Id imagine the urgency is if we are in the premier we have about 5 weeks to assemble a squad and get them ready for the season starting. 🙄

4 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

Ah, that's different. I never realised he hadn't been told his services weren't required first, poor from the club if true.

The whole thing has been handled pretty poorly by Ann

Earlier in the week she spoke about getting the sporting director in first,  so I’d love to know what happened subsequently to make her rush through Robbies appointment

Stendel should have been told first that she had decided to move forward with another manager,  he was on a substantial wage and his wage freeze was a massive gesture to the club,  the club could have at least done right by him. 

• davemclaren locked this topic