Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

If we are going to sign the person who is in charge of Livi, its not Holt you would sign.

Martindale runs the stuff through there,worked at the ground a few times and saw it first hand how much he runs them - Gary Holt hardly spoke during training 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

Scottie Wanshot.

He took over the team in mid season and tried to play highprees football which was a disaster, he continued to play Pereira who didn't have a clue and lost so many goals. Stendel was responsible for this, that's why were in this position, so I want him not to come back.

1 minute ago, rory78 said:

Martindale runs the stuff through there,worked at the ground a few times and saw it first hand how much he runs them - Gary Holt hardly spoke during training 

Interesting and I've heard this a few times.  Holt must be doing something though?  A good double act?  Like BB and JJ?

1 minute ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

He took over the team in mid season and tried to play highprees football which was a disaster, he continued to play Pereira who didn't have a clue and lost so many goals. Stendel was responsible for this, that's why were in this position, so I want him not to come back.

I don’t think you can solely blame Stendel for the position we are in. I’m disappointed that he didn’t do better but given we were in relegation form for a full 12 months before that the blame can not lie on him alone. There was improvement after Christmas but still wasn’t good enough but I believe he would’ve got us to 11th and saved us from the drop. 

Bunny Munro
7 minutes ago, Cliffundo said:

I liked DS and wouldn't be opposed to him continuing.  If he doesn't get the chance my thoughts are more aligned with big Jorg Sievers leaving a 30 year career with Hanover to come to hearts and then see his time here finished before it even started.  Must be a ball breaker.

Wonder if Sievers fancies being manager. He's got a contest for anotjer year.

Tennant's  6's

He sounds keen to stay, if there's a relegation release clause then I'd love it if we got rid of most of that squad, built a team with younger players, with a few experienced guys.

The jury's still out on Morrison,  Cochrane etc, but a season to rebuild, with hopefully compo coming our way, get everyone singing from thf same hymn sheet kind of thing. 

If we're somehow reinstated, however unlikely,  he's bound to have singing targets, but getting rid of the dross would be  hard task, and that lot won't get any payoffs..

Can't wait to have a settled, confident team again, for the first time in yrs..

Ex member of the SaS
8 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

For me his only down sides were playing the keeper and not having a plan B for when the high press didn't work. The high press worked against teams like Sevco and Celtic who like to attack all the time. The rest sit in and we need someone who knows how to break teams down, or at least the players capable of doing so and at least putting the ball in the net when the chance arises. We failed many time due to lack of a hungry striker, Naismith was all over the park and not always in the right place and the others couldn't score in a brothel.

Fluorescent Adolescent
1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Yeh let’s go for tommy Wright and go down the Route one type shit again with a big target man.

the guys a Dinosaur and I honestly hope if Stendel isn’t our coach we look for a young ambitious coach who likes his team to at least try to play football.

Spot on.

Get the Tommy Wright chat in the ****in bin.

I’d rather take another risk on a manager being potentially great than go ‘safe’ and appoint an old school, route one loving dinosaur like Wright.

He was also fairly derogatory in the past with regards us. Quite frankly, Tommy Wright can go **** himself. 🥳

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Spot on.

I’d rather take another risk on a manager being potentially great than go ‘safe’ and appoint an old school, route one loving dinosaur like Wright.

He was also fairly derogatory in the past with regards us. Quite frankly, Tommy Wright can go **** himself. 🥳

Said on the other thread we can't,  MUSTN'T go down the route of old hands ,ex players or anyone already associated with Scottish football. The fear of the " OF " is too strong in the majority of managers and we need a fresh face who treats them like every other team, gets stuck in and doesn't fear going west.

17 minutes ago, Cliffundo said:

Interesting and I've heard this a few times.  Holt must be doing something though?  A good double act?  Like BB and JJ?

I was working at the side of the pitch for 3 days and Livingston were training each time and Holt was very pleasant stopping for a chat but at training it was very much the voice of Martindale that the players were listening too - they let me go on and take some penalties once training had finished which was decent 

Daniel will stay. The players like him, the ones that are opened minded and wanting to get better and fitter. His record in 2020 after having 3 weeks with the worst side we’ve ever assembled we seen progression, not as much as he or we would’ve liked but you have to be fairly blinkered to ignore the fact that we improved. Ex players and old heads have got us into this bother so don’t understand the thinking of going down that route with someone like Tommy Wright or Robbo or Hartley etc. Stendel is the man for the job. 

3 minutes ago, rory78 said:

I was working at the side of the pitch for 3 days and Livingston were training each time and Holt was very pleasant stopping for a chat but at training it was very much the voice of Martindale that the players were listening too - they let me go on and take some penalties once training had finished which was decent 

Good insight to have but it could be they are on the same song sheet and happy to allow training to flow that way.  Holt must bring something to that setup but you could well be correct as I believe he was there with Hopkins and Miller?.  Still, I would not object to them taking over at Hearts if DS does indeed leave.

1 minute ago, Cliffundo said:

Good insight to have but it could be they are on the same song sheet and happy to allow training to flow that way.  Holt must bring something to that setup but you could well be correct as I believe he was there with Hopkins and Miller?.  Still, I would not object to them taking over at Hearts if DS does indeed leave.

I think this is the issue with Martindale. He's clearly a very talented coach, but his previous makes it difficult (if not impossible) for a club to hire him. 

He's not really in the spotlight at Livi because its livi and considering the vitriol the media directs our way anyway, it would be brutal.

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think this is the issue with Martindale. He's clearly a very talented coach, but his previous makes it difficult (if not impossible) for a club to hire him. 

He's not really in the spotlight at Livi because its livi and considering the vitriol the media directs our way anyway, it would be brutal.

Yes he was involved with stuff a while ago

Heartsofgold
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Martindale would never pass the fit and proper test as he was a convicted drug dealer.

Mixed feelings if he goes.

He definitely needs to shoulder some of the fault for our relegation, he had sufficient time to ensure we weren't bottom of the league at close of play.

That said, there were glimmers of hope that he could do a job and he was a very likeable guy. 

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

I must've missed this, what's Martindale's baggage??

2 minutes ago, The Merse said:

I must've missed this, what's Martindale's baggage??

Coke dealer. 

Batistuta87

Quite pleased at his comments in EEN. I'd really like him to stay and it's good that he's up for it if AB is too. Tick tock though. He's not going to wait around forever so we need to get our DOF nailed down ASAP and get DS back on board. 

Fingers crossed. 

Was posted a couple of pages back, but: 

Daniel Stendel: 'I want to finish the job at Hearts but it will be Ann Budge's decision'

Manager speaks on his future for the first time since relegation

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel insisted today he wants to stay and finish the job at Tynecastle despite relegation – but said the decision lies with owner Ann Budge.

Speaking exclusively to the Evening News, Stendel explained that he is not motivated by money and will discuss a new contract if the Tynecastle hierarchy want him in charge next season.

He is happy to work under a sporting director and Budge has put his future on hold whilst she attempts to recruit one as soon as possible.

His contract runs until summer 2022 but is only valid for the Premiership. He would need to sign a new deal, potentially on a reduced salary, to return to Edinburgh.

During talks with Budge, Stendel outlined plans to rebuild the team at Tynecastle and said he is ready for the challenge of trying to get promotion back to the top flight.

"I said to Ann I want to finish my work at Hearts. I told her I want to build up a new team and help them to get back to the Premiership,” he said.

“The decision is for Ann and for the club. At the moment, I have no answers. I do not have a contract in the Championship.

"In the end, I think it's a question of what Ann and the club want. This is my feeling. If the club and Ann want to work with me, they can say 'yes'. If not, they can say 'no'.

“For me, it's only a question of whether the club believe in what we spoke about when I came to Hearts.

"We wanted to build a new face for the club. We expected it would be a lot easier and quicker than it is. The fact we are relegated is very hard. It is not a normal season but we are relegated. This is the decision at the moment.

"When you want to do something and it does not happen at first, you need patience and positive thinking to finish the work. I want to finish the work at Hearts, but it is not my decision. Ann and the board will decide.

"I can only say that I want to do it, I want to help, I want to finish the job. But the ball is not in my court.”

Stendel has been working from home without wages since April after football was suspended. He feels that shows his commitment to the Tynecastle comes before any financial reward.

"If I had a contract for the Championship, we would not need to talk about this,” he said. “When I came to Hearts, the expectation was that we would stay up in the Premiership.

“I understand the situation now and I know the financial situation. I have been working without a salary for the last two and a half months because I told Ann to keep my salary. You can see that money is not everything for me.

“My first idea was to help the club and to take responsibility for everybody who works for the club. Also, it was a sign to the supporters of Hearts that we did not come to Scotland only for money. We can feel a special feeling at Hearts.”

Stendel brought assistant coach Jorg Sievers to Scotland in January and his deal also expires in 2022. The appointment of first-team coach Dale Tonge followed, but his short-term agreement expired at the end of the season.

Budge’s plan to appoint a sporting director would fill a void left by Craig Levein and help ease the workload on Stendel. He is keen to coach players and leave transfer business to others.

"You can only do things like this [appoint a sporting director] when you have the power,” he remarked. “Craig [Levein] was sporting director and then he was manager and sporting director.

“This is a little bit different to what the club expected from me at first. In the difficult time when I came to Hearts, it is not so easy to do all these things at the same time.

“I like to work with the team. I like to work on playing positively and being more successful. This is what I want to do. The financial situation – how much money to pay players, can you pay a transfer fee – is a different thing.

“The decision is for the club about what they want in the future, on the structure, decision-making, communication. These are all decisions for Ann. They are not my responsibility.”

Edited by Batistuta87

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Daniel Stendel: 'I want to finish the job at Hearts but it will be Ann Budge's decision'

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel insisted today he wants to stay and finish the job at Tynecastle despite relegation – but said the decision lies with owner Ann Budge.

Speaking exclusively to the Evening News, Stendel explained that he is not motivated by money and will discuss a new contract if the Tynecastle hierarchy want him in charge next season.

He is happy to work under a sporting director and Budge has put his future on hold whilst she attempts to recruit one as soon as possible.

His contract runs until summer 2022 but is only valid for the Premiership. He would need to sign a new deal, potentially on a reduced salary, to return to Edinburgh.

During talks with Budge, Stendel outlined plans to rebuild the team at Tynecastle and said he is ready for the challenge of trying to get promotion back to the top flight.

"I said to Ann I want to finish my work at Hearts. I told her I want to build up a new team and help them to get back to the Premiership,” he said.

“The decision is for Ann and for the club. At the moment, I have no answers. I do not have a contract in the Championship.

"In the end, I think it's a question of what Ann and the club want. This is my feeling. If the club and Ann want to work with me, they can say 'yes'. If not, they can say 'no'.

“For me, it's only a question of whether the club believe in what we spoke about when I came to Hearts.

"We wanted to build a new face for the club. We expected it would be a lot easier and quicker than it is. The fact we are relegated is very hard. It is not a normal season but we are relegated. This is the decision at the moment.

"When you want to do something and it does not happen at first, you need patience and positive thinking to finish the work. I want to finish the work at Hearts, but it is not my decision. Ann and the board will decide.

"I can only say that I want to do it, I want to help, I want to finish the job. But the ball is not in my court.”

Stendel has been working from home without wages since April after football was suspended. He feels that shows his commitment to the Tynecastle comes before any financial reward.

"If I had a contract for the Championship, we would not need to talk about this,” he said. “When I came to Hearts, the expectation was that we would stay up in the Premiership.

“I understand the situation now and I know the financial situation. I have been working without a salary for the last two and a half months because I told Ann to keep my salary. You can see that money is not everything for me.

“My first idea was to help the club and to take responsibility for everybody who works for the club. Also, it was a sign to the supporters of Hearts that we did not come to Scotland only for money. We can feel a special feeling at Hearts.”

Stendel brought assistant coach Jorg Sievers to Scotland in January and his deal also expires in 2022. The appointment of first-team coach Dale Tonge followed, but his short-term agreement expired at the end of the season.

Budge’s plan to appoint a sporting director would fill a void left by Craig Levein and help ease the workload on Stendel. He is keen to coach players and leave transfer business to others.

"You can only do things like this [appoint a sporting director] when you have the power,” he remarked. “Craig [Levein] was sporting director and then he was manager and sporting director.

“This is a little bit different to what the club expected from me at first. In the difficult time when I came to Hearts, it is not so easy to do all these things at the same time.

“I like to work with the team. I like to work on playing positively and being more successful. This is what I want to do. The financial situation – how much money to pay players, can you pay a transfer fee – is a different thing.

“The decision is for the club about what they want in the future, on the structure, decision-making, communication. These are all decisions for Ann. They are not my responsibility.”

:yas:

Hopefully we let him know either way very soon out of courtesy to a guy who’s sacrificed a lot already and wants to stay regardless of being demoted now it’s clear to see.  Is he the way forward?  You would hope so, my worry is Levein was pretty negative towards him on Sportsound so hope he’s not advising AB. 

kingantti1874
57 minutes ago, Cliffundo said:

not really, Martindale is the manager.. holt the figurehead.. Martindale not allowed to be manager because of his criminal record.. he’s obviously doing something right.. but will never be at hearts. In fact will never coach anywhere but livi

It was an absolute disgrace that his first task was getting the team fit as that at least should have been a given. His biggest mistake was not getting a proper goalkeeper  during January but not his fault who he inherited. I am 100% behind him and he and the way his teams play are entertaining which again wasn't the case before he came in. 

1 hour ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Spot on.

Couldn’t agree more.

For me stendel should be given next season...he deserves a full pre season to try implement his style. Get JJ in as dof. Already said he would love to be involved with the club 

Read to me that DS thinks the job is to get back to the top league. I wonder if AB will require a longer term commitment from him otherwise look for someone else to come in and build things long term. Surely we need to get out of the cycle of repeated managerial changes?

Berra than you
48 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

It was an absolute disgrace that his first task was getting the team fit as that at least should have been a given. His biggest mistake was not getting a proper goalkeeper  during January but not his fault who he inherited. I am 100% behind him and he and the way his teams play are entertaining which again wasn't the case before he came in. 

Exactly. He wasn't without his faults, but when you come into a team and have to teach the defence how to defend in a straight line, you have to question what went on prior to him coming in.

57 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Quite pleased at his comments in EEN. I'd really like him to stay and it's good that he's up for it if AB is too. Tick tock though. He's not going to wait around forever so we need to get our DOF nailed down ASAP and get DS back on board. 

Fingers crossed. 

Was posted a couple of pages back, but: 

Get on the blower then Budge. Make it happen.

He is part culpable in this shit show but just a small part. I want stability so I would rather he stayed actually.

Jambo in Yorkshire

Funny how Hibs fans want Stendel to leave! They know what happened in England when Ross had a massive budget and was way behind Stendel.

He will make us a top team and as I have said before it’s a long time since we won back to back games v Rangers. It’s also a number. of years since we were 3-0 up at Easter Road.

In his promotion season at Barnsley he didn’t lost a home game.

Honestly really happy that Stendel wants to stay. At the start of the lockdown I felt pretty negative about him but having taken a bit of time to look back on things, I am confident we were in the right track with him. In DS I trust HHGH.

Smith&Weston

If we can sign a GK and keep Smith, Halkett, Berra, Haring (if fit), Naismith & Boyce in the championship, it shouldn’t matter who the manger is.  I think Stendel wants to promote youth and that blend with those about would be good enough next season.  

18 minutes ago, CalMac said:

Read to me that DS thinks the job is to get back to the top league. I wonder if AB will require a longer term commitment from him otherwise look for someone else to come in and build things long term. Surely we need to get out of the cycle of repeated managerial changes?

He’s got 2 year left on his contract. That’s enough imo.  

Sign him up!  He made mistakes but what a mess to find yourself in, and I'm 90% confident we'd have stayed up had we played the full season.

It's easy with hindsight to point out the bad mistakes.  To me he was between a rock and a hard place with 3 useless goalkeepers, decided to put faith in Pereirra and was badly let down.  It's easy to say Bobby or Doyle would have done better, but there's not a great deal of evidence to back that up.  Personally I'd have stuck Bobby in, but it's like choosing between 3 forms of torture.

Would love Stendel to stay but our problem will be the season starting in October thats 4 months on pay with nothing happening will hearts get him back on board or go for a cheaper option 

1 hour ago, The Merse said:

Mixed feelings if he goes.

He definitely needs to shoulder some of the fault for our relegation, he had sufficient time to ensure we weren't bottom of the league at close of play.

That said, there were glimmers of hope that he could do a job and he was a very likeable guy. 

We weren't relegated.

Aside, I'd like Stendel to stay, I have more hope of him creating something special over a couple of seasons than say Tommy Wright.

Wright may be better suited to the championship (if that's where we end up) but I can't see him making us a team that would challenge the OF (that's a relative concept I guess) let alone consistently be best of the rest (hate that concept too - way too defeatist!)

weegie jambo
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No need for me to post anything other than TheBigO has, exactly my thoughts.

and mine too, Daniel inherited such a mess from top to bottom, he should get a chance with a fresh slate this season.

You'd certainly have a great season in the championship with him at the helm. If only our board hadn't been so pig headed in listening to him wanting some experience you wouldnt even be debating keeping hold of him or not!!

Hectormasson
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t think you can solely blame Stendel for the position we are in. I’m disappointed that he didn’t do better but given we were in relegation form for a full 12 months before that the blame can not lie on him alone. There was improvement after Christmas but still wasn’t good enough but I believe he would’ve got us to 11th and saved us from the drop. 

Leveins absolutely shite signings were the problem   and not stendel ?  Although he made mistakes lso ,   I'd like to see him stay.....

1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

Leveins absolutely shite signings were the problem   and not stendel ?  Although he made mistakes lso ,   I'd like to see him stay.....

He did make mistakes  I’d like to see him carry on but if he doesn’t I’ll not be overly bothered. 

12 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

You'd certainly have a great season in the championship with him at the helm. If only our board hadn't been so pig headed in listening to him wanting some experience you wouldnt even be debating keeping hold of him or not!!

How’s it going down there Helen. Things getting back to normal?

Howdy Doody Jambo

Is he staying or going? a bit clarity would be good from the club asap  

Stendel knows how to get teams promoted. Really hoping he stays and we have 27 games against pub teams to get his philosophy across and then smash theses clubs in the Premiership with ideas above their station

24 minutes ago, RudiIsGod said:

Stendel knows how to get teams promoted. Really hoping he stays and we have 27 games against pub teams to get his philosophy across and then smash theses clubs in the Premiership with ideas above their station

Exactly this.

kingantti1874
32 minutes ago, RudiIsGod said:

As long as he can get in his own players, and shift some of the deadwood I’m fine with it.. if we are stuck with this squad, who were very very clearly not capable of playing his style.. we need to move on and get someone who can get the best out of them

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

As long as he can get in his own players, and shift some of the deadwood I’m fine with it.. if we are stuck with this squad, who were very very clearly not capable of playing his style.. we need to move on and get someone who can get the best out of them

I would keep the manager and dump players any day.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I would keep the manager and dump players any day.

As would we all, but I have my doubts as to whether we can afford that in this crisis.. would be dependent on players leaving voluntarily, then we have to attract players to the first division which doesn’t start until October. Not easy at all. 

1 hour ago, weegie jambo said:

and mine too, Daniel inherited such a mess from top to bottom, he should get a chance with a fresh slate this season.

This can not be argued.

What I will say however is that most new managers inherit a mess unless on the rare occasion you are taking over a winning team, top of the league etc etc and many anagers at least get the initial 'new anager' bump, surge and boost with regards to results.  DS never even got a flinch for about a month.

He should have done a lot better.

• davemclaren locked this topic