Black Lives Matter Protest.

Ainsley Harriott

55 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Anyone that defaces or pulls down a statue needs to be leathered senseless imo. 

I'd prefer to live by rule of law, personally.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• Dawnrazor

• Spellczech

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

They should be stopped. 

But if you disagree with them youre a racist, nobody wants to called a racist!

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

If the law isn't stopping these arseholes from ruining the Country, we need a better law. 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

But if you disagree with them youre a racist, nobody wants to called a racist!

Sticks and stones mate. 👍 Most of those clowns clearly weren't taught that rhyme as kids. 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ok, then they should be tried, found guilty, and scentenced to a good leathering.

Just now, Cruyff said:

If the law isn't stopping these arseholes from ruining the Country, we need a better law. 

Really? A few demonstrations, a few statues defaced, and they're "ruining the country"?

Why is everyone going all Chicken Licken on this?

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Ok, then they should be tried, found guilty, and scentenced to a good leathering.

I assume you will be volunteering as chief leatherer? :)

Just now, Cruyff said:

Sticks and stones mate. 👍 Most of those clowns clearly weren't taught that rhyme as kids. 

I don't disagree, but look at the grooming gangs in Yorkshire that were left to rape young girls for years because local councils and Police forces were afraid of upsetting the Muslim communities. 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Really? A few demonstrations, a few statues defaced, and they're "ruining the country"?

Why is everyone going all Chicken Licken on this?

Absolutely. 

Seriously, this thread has turned into a sort of Tommy Robinson support group recently. I'll need to blame it on the pandemic getting people all in a tizzy. :D

Ron Burgundy
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I don't disagree, but look at the grooming gangs in Yorkshire that were left to rape young girls for years because local councils and Police forces were afraid of upsetting the Muslim communities. 

That sort of fear of appearing racist even when clearly not will be magnified a hundred times more now.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Indeed. Unfortunately because the police never did their jobs properly, that whole thing was hijacked and used as propaganda by the far right. 

The same will happen with this if the Police and Governments don't clamp down on these muppets going around destroying stuff they don't like. 

The far left are just as bad as the far right. 

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Seriously, this thread has turned into a sort of Tommy Robinson support group recently. I'll need to blame it on the pandemic getting people all in a tizzy. :D

Come on, you have to back up that sort of statement, with some anti-immigrant quotes; or "they took our jobs" type stuff? You cannot summarise a thread like that without examples...unless you are not actually being serious at all? The first word and the last emoji do somewhat contradict one another and that is not bad going in a 2-sentence post!

Edited by Spellczech

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s up to you whether you want to believe he wasn’t a racist, I’ve given you that I believe in. If you don’t like my posts pop me on ignore and then neither of us will see each other’s posts from now on 👍🏽👏🏾👋🏿,

Yet more backtracking, you never said it’s what you believe,

You said ‘i know’...but no proof🙄

You want to tell me I’m wrong, fair enough...but no proof🙄

I will not put you on ignore though, that way I can continue to pull you up for your unsubstantiated claims in your posts.

The White Cockade
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Come on, you have to back up that sort of statement, with some anti-immigrant quotes; or "they took our jobs" type stuff? You cannot summarise a thread like that without examples...unless you are not actually being serious at all? The first word and the last emoji do somewhat contradict one another and that is not bad going in a 2-sentence post!

Well we’ve already had the if you don’t like it here go back to your own country type quotes 

6 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Statue of black poet vandalised in Bristol. Welcome to the sport of tit-for-tat statue defacing - a big boost for the spray paint industry.

Was sadly inevitable...stupid is as stupid does.

2 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Well we’ve already had the if you don’t like it here go back to your own country type quotes 

I saw the one I think you mean. I think you are twisting that post by not quoting it directly though. People say what they say and others have the right to take issue with what they say. Misinterpretation can be done innocently but paraphrasing in order to tweak the meaning is unfair...

Lone Striker
13 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Fascists invented autostradas, and the Romans (slave owners) invented loads of things including paved roads. There goes the Old Town, the New Town and the M8...We're going to be back to living in caves at this rate! Am a bit scared of looking into the ancestry of Robert MacAdam...as the dirt track will be all that is left if I do...

Yes - good examples.     I shudder to think that someone might do an Ancestry.com look into our benefactors'  family tree, and then unearth's something unpleasant.  The weegia would have a field day - yet another stick to bash us with.

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Better watch mate, you'll end up with a thread ban or warning if you disagree with her. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Better watch mate, you'll end up with a thread ban or warning if you disagree with her. 

Well I've had many set-tos over the years and never been banned from a thread. I had some warning points once, when it was done that way.

Does a thread ban prevent me being considered for a statue in my honour?

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:D Pure shite, Cruyff. Folk can disagree with me as much as they want. And my prostatectomy a few years back would indicate that you may be wrong about my sex. Unless of course you were being an arse in trying to denigrate me in some way by saying I was female (no skin off my nose on that count by the way, I consider both sexes equal). But surely that would be beneath you?

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Well I've had many set-tos over the years and never been banned from a thread. I had some warning points once, when it was done that way.

Does a thread ban prevent me being considered for a statue in my honour?

Afraid so, only the most righteous amongst us can get a statue nowadays.

At this rate every town & city will be filled with statues of Bambi...................then again maybe not as the animal rights lot will be up in arms about it.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Afraid so, only the most righteous amongst us can get a statue nowadays.

At this rate every town & city will be filled with statues of Bambi...................then again maybe not as the animal rights lot will be up in arms about it.

I'd be up for that.

bamber-gascoigne-3e03b225-7b99-4813-b4e4

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Pure shite, Cruyff. Folk can disagree with me as much as they want. And my prostatectomy a few years back would indicate that you may be wrong about my sex. Unless of course you were being an arse in trying to denigrate me in some way by saying I was female (no skin off my nose on that count by the way, I consider both sexes equal). But surely that would be beneath you?

😴 Back on the ignore list. 

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Maybe he’s thinking of @redm

I have just read  few days of posts, and would like to make a couple of comments. A couple of post s have stated there was no slavery in Britain. I think of the wee boys who were sent up chimneys to clean them, I don't think they had a union or minimum wage rules.

My own father raised in a mining community, his father at one stage had the contract to go into the mines and get what wasn't enough for the owners to pay miners to do. My father still a child and his older brother were the labour for this venture, small if any capital investment for that from the father.

Black face, again as a child we went guising, one of the favorite make up was either shoe polish or soot to blacken our faces. This was not a racist statement by us, but in a way it was. Black people in the movie business were not the Sydney Poitiers Denzel Washingtons etc, they were generally the subject of jokes, insults, and being demeaned, but we as kids loved them because they were generally funny, and seemed to our unformed as yet minds happy.

There is some talk at least here that the cop and Floyd knew each other from working security in the same night club, and that there was bad feeling, the person who started this rumor has now stated he was confused about the people and the assertion was wrong.

Demonstrators have now taken over an area in Seattle Washington. This has caused a police precinct to be abandoned, the authorities are prepared to live with it, I am sure realising if they do nothing the motive of the demonstrators to get the police to react with tear gas and rubber bullets becomes redundant and time will without action be the solution. President Trump  has warned if they do nothing he will and will move in the military.

I personally am quite surprised at the number of extremely violent police arrests that have been filmed but either not shown or just ignored by most of us .

As far as the criminal record of the deceased I had wondered about that, there were veiled comments but nothing direct. From the good graces of a member on here I was furnished with the full record.  There was no doubt in my mind that there was a period when he was not a pillar of society. There was also a period it seems when he was trying to achieve that status. Whatever his status in the eyes of we members of the public as individuals it is not the responsibility or duty for the police to invoke their opinion of a persons character and how that influences how they treat them be it mentally or physically.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'd be up for that.

Close match... I thought students were cleverer in those days, and protested about better things than Cecil Rhodes having a statue in his honour. Certainly I couldn't answer as many questions per show...

Rose tinted glasses

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Maybe he’s thinking of @redm

The red who hasn't posted for quite a while and has a completely different posting style to me. Aye, maybe, Lucky. ;)

Hope you're doing well by the way. I miss "Where is this?" and the photos you post to it.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, redjambo said:

The red who hasn't posted for quite a while and has a completely different posting style to me. Aye, maybe, Lucky. ;)

Hope you're doing well by the way. I miss "Where is this?" and the photos you post to it.

‘It’s all I could think of when I read it🤷🏼‍♂️ Hope you are alright too pal. We will get back on that thread again, no doubt about that😊👍

7 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I have just read  few days of posts, and would like to make a couple of comments. A couple of post s have stated there was no slavery in Britain. I think of the wee boys who were sent up chimneys to clean them, I don't think they had a union or minimum wage rules.

My own father raised in a mining community, his father at one stage had the contract to go into the mines and get what wasn't enough for the owners to pay miners to do. My father still a child and his older brother were the labour for this venture, small if any capital investment for that from the father.

Black face, again as a child we went guising, one of the favorite make up was either shoe polish or soot to blacken our faces. This was not a racist statement by us, but in a way it was. Black people in the movie business were not the Sydney Poitiers Denzel Washingtons etc, they were generally the subject of jokes, insults, and being demeaned, but we as kids loved them because they were generally funny, and seemed to our unformed as yet minds happy.

There is some talk at least here that the cop and Floyd knew each other from working security in the same night club, and that there was bad feeling, the person who started this rumor has now stated he was confused about the people and the assertion was wrong.

Demonstrators have now taken over an area in Seattle Washington. This has caused a police precinct to be abandoned, the authorities are prepared to live with it, I am sure realising if they do nothing the motive of the demonstrators to get the police to react with tear gas and rubber bullets becomes redundant and time will without action be the solution. President Trump  has warned if they do nothing he will and will move in the military.

I personally am quite surprised at the number of extremely violent police arrests that have been filmed but either not shown or just ignored by most of us .

As far as the criminal record of the deceased I had wondered about that, there were veiled comments but nothing direct. From the good graces of a member on here I was furnished with the full record.  There was no doubt in my mind that there was a period when he was not a pillar of society. There was also a period it seems when he was trying to achieve that status. Whatever his status in the eyes of we members of the public as individuals it is not the responsibility or duty for the police to invoke their opinion of a persons character and how that influences how they treat them be it mentally or physically.

Sorry to respond having only read the first bit, but you need to check out what slavery is. It is not the same thing as child labour...Doing work by choice for money, however pitiful the amount, and even without danger money, is not the same as being forced to work for nothing but food and locked in a cabin whilst chained at night...

There is still slavery in the UK but AFAIK it is limited mainly to the sex trade. There are illegal working practices on some farms where illegals and even legals are taken advantage of, but whether this is slavery is debateable...I expect it is in extreme cases...

Edited by Spellczech

For those interested in modern slavery, the Wikipedia page is a good a one to start with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_slavery

It includes the following:

"Since slavery has been officially abolished, enslavement no longer revolves around legal ownership, but around illegal control."

We still have a way to go.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

I am of course being silly and exagerating like I criticise others for doing above (but it's just a joke)

Think you've dispalayed a distinct lack of silliness on this thread , from what I've read at least. 👍

57 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the great majority of the population are probably guilty  of having racist ancestors

Correct. And we don't have to go too far back in generations, for it to manifest. That said, I reckon there's been a huge change in attitudes over the past 40 yrs - when families (mine included) used chuckle at  Love Thy Neighbour on primetime TV. 

50 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Indeed. The pertinent point is why should any person be held responsible for the  objectionable behaviour of their grandfather or even father.   This whole moral crusade is now engulfing historical figures who did remarkable things, but who may also have been sympathetic to the Nazis.   

If we bring Nazi sympathy into this, there's swathes of society who'd be ostracisied, including the Royals. Nazis were our friends until around 1939.

Jambo-Jimbo
19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'd be up for that.

BAMBI............................Not Bamber, easy mistake though. 😄

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

BAMBI............................Not Bamber, easy mistake though. 😄

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, felix said:

If we bring Nazi sympathy into this, there's swathes of society who'd be ostracisied, including the Royals. Nazis were our friends until around 1939.

One of my grandfathers was a member of Mosley's BUF as a youth, although he was too young to enlist in the blackshirts. As a merchant seaman he was beached for much of the war on account of his previous facist sympathies. 

My mother and her siblings, to their credit, were horrified by his racist views when they reached an age where they were able to think for themselves. Their coping mechanism for this bleak chapter often finds expression in a brand of satirically offensive dark humour. 

Governor Tarkin
30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'd say 'great minds', red, but erm...

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd say 'great minds', red, but erm...

Naw. If you're happy with that, I am too. :D

Ron Burgundy
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Boy's a Tory, but I'll admit to agreeing with him on this issue.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3078831152195642&id=1361286460616795

But the prejudice we all have will mean that will be taken differently by people.

If for example  Sturgeon had said that then the very people who will decry it because it was written by a Tory would lap it up.

We have left common sense behind and decided everything is black and white. (No pun intended).

29 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

One of my grandfathers was a member of Mosley's BUF as a youth, although he was too young to enlist in the blackshirts. As a merchant seaman he was beached for much of the war on account of his previous facist sympathies. 

My mother and her siblings, to their credit, were horrified by his racist views when they reached an age where they were able to think for themselves. Their coping mechanism for this bleak chapter often finds expression in a brand of satirically offensive dark humour. 

Hope you've burned all fascist granpaw's photographs :thumbsup: 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, felix said:

Hope you've burned all fascist granpaw's photographs :thumbsup: 

My folks had some good ones, actually.

As I recall there was one from his MN days of him and his shipmates taking down the German naval ensign of some boat they'd captured. He was still occasionally wearing the 'confiscated' captains leather peacoat when I was a child.

I'll need to try and get them looked out.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

As I recall there was one from his MN days of him and his shipmates taking down the German naval ensign of some boat they'd captured. He was still occasionally wearing the 'confiscated' captains leather peacoat when I was a child.

Nice one. He must have distanced himself from Mosley as his followers weren't allowed to serve iirc, and got shipped to the Channel Isles, during the war.

The state of some of the people in here. It's like a who's who of the Kickback angry white men club. 

Enjoy your irrelevance. 🥩

Edited by parker

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Ah, so that's what they're called. I never knew that - just recognised them from films.

s-l300.jpg

This thread is basically about discrimination. It has been announced by the Vancouver Gay Pride organisers that no police personnel in uniform will be allowed to march in the parade. There are quite a few gay members of the Vancouver Police and the RCMP,  again I have no problem with that, I do have a bit of. problem with a male police officer marching in the parade in his uniform which included regulation shorts, and his weapon belt and accessories, jumping about waving his arms and behaving in what in my long past days would have been seen as conduct unbecoming a police officer. But I fully appreciate that was 2019 and this is 2020,  its not even the recent time of retiral for me 1991 the dark ages. But police are so disdained now even the Gay are prohibiting displays of police uniform as a rebuttal to police violence.