SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, buba said:

Yeah this is one of the things I was thinking about, these Scottish cup semis  have to be played first as the winner gets a uefa spot next season. so they can’t seriously do that if the championship isn’t starting till January?  Suppose it’ll depend on what Celtic want to do

There’s no Europa spot for the winners of this season’s cup.  It will go to Aberdeen instead as 4th placed team.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

The Mighty Thor

Again with football restarting in August (according to MacLennan and Lawwell's lackey) there will come a point where the SPFL will need to have squads registered and due diligence on club finances done. 

42 teams across 4 leagues? I very much doubt it. 

It could realistically end up being a top division of whoever is left standing and the first divisions mothballed (or most likely scrapped as the entities go pop).

Could be a hell of a time for property developers to be picking up town centre sites where football clubs used to be.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great news, more to come hopefully.

If only we had 17 players out of contract too! 

Adam_the_legend
8 minutes ago, Zico said:

It didn’t go to a vote so technically, it didn’t ‘fail’. We need it officially voted down before we go to court. 

I know that’s been presented as the reasoning by a few of our resident part time QC’s but it’s more smoke and mirrors. The SPFL put out a statement about the end of recon and the lack of a vote, it can hardly be denied it didn’t happen. 

Saw my first ever football game as wee lad at East End Park, so I’ve always had a soft spot for them. Well until the last few weeks. Shite for the players released but when that prick in charge who’s also on the SPFL board sees his club die I’ll be quite happy.

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

There’s no Europa spot for the winners of this season’s cup.  It will go to Aberdeen instead as 4th placed team.

I hope they get rag dolled by a bunch of Faroese fisherman first round.

Did say Dunfermline would be one to watch...

They were contacting fans asking for contributions.

Also notice the Raith crowdfunding, which reached it's initial target of £50,000, has stalled the last couple of weeks.

👋👋👋💣

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great news, more to come hopefully.

So that is one of the bigger clubs who will be unable to field a team come August against us.

Add QOTS to that...

so 2 teams out of the "championship" ,

how many more?

12 minutes ago, buba said:

Yeah this is one of the things I was thinking about, these Scottish cup semis  have to be played first as the winner gets a uefa spot next season. so they can’t seriously do that if the championship isn’t starting till January?  Suppose it’ll depend on what Celtic want to do

No they don't.

alwaysthereinspirit

Dunfermline will be the first of many clubs who'll be releasing players in droves.

It's the #ibs, St. Mirren and Dundee cull that I look forward to most.

At least to start. Thereafter, for every team I'll just laugh at a length and loudness based on my hatred for said team.

I can hardly wait.

davemclaren
13 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

At the time of the wage cuts/deferrals debate back in late March/Early April I predicted, not that it took any great foresight to do so, that most clubs outwith the few in Scotland that retain their players on multi year contracts, would simply free all their players at the end of May. Sadly that is now coming to fruition.

I think we are heading for just one division next season, that contains all of the clubs who are able to operate with reduced/no match day income.

That’s where I think it will head. Meantime most clubs have their heads in the sand.  

Worthing Jambo
14 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

@Saughton Jambo Is this what you were referring to last night?

Pure speculation on my part but wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

What I initially posted!

Edited by Worthing Jambo

Hearts1975
2 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Dunfermline will be the first of many clubs who'll be releasing players in droves.

At least to start. Thereafter, for every team I'll just laugh at a length and loudness based on my hatred for said team.

I can hardly wait.

Hear hear. Well said. 

18 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Dunfermline have only 10 players on their books?

I’d take a point tbf 

Levein would still be going to EEP looking to keep a clean sheet and grab a goal on the counter (a big hoof up park after one of their corners) with Steven McLean on his own looking helpless v two big 16 year old defenders 

Hagar the Horrible

You have to wonder what Partick are saying in this?  Dunfermline off loading 17 players where normally admin would invoke a 15 point deduction and put them last,  And as for QoS  who voted Partick down while been only 2 points ahead after playing 1 game more?  Justice if they are fecked.  This is the start of cost cutting and for some it wont be enough?

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

That’s where I think it will head. Meantime most clubs have their heads in the sand.  

Me too, perhaps to avoid "armageddon" then the top flight will take all the "Prize money " and share it equally with all clubs to ensure their survival.

Nope, thought not.

9 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

That’ll be why they were happy to end the season 1 point off the euro spot,  because the Sfa had promised this before the vote 

Tommy Brown
20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Dunfermline have only 10 players on their books?

I’d take a point tbf 

No keepers

They are going to play "backy-anns"

*note*

name we used in East Calder in 70's when you keep swapping outfield players into playing goalie.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
18 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

At the time of the wage cuts/deferrals debate back in late March/Early April I predicted, not that it took any great foresight to do so, that most clubs outwith the few in Scotland that retain their players on multi year contracts, would simply free all their players at the end of May. Sadly that is now coming to fruition.

I think we are heading for just one division next season, that contains all of the clubs who are able to operate with reduced/no match day income.

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Keith Wyness called it last weekend. 

Not a lot of Broad thinking in Scotland. 

Too many seem to think it would carry on,  and it would be run to suit their own ends.

Reality is a bitch 

12 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Which is, of course, yet another example of a failure to look after the interests of ALL clubs. In this case, us and Hibs - one of whom would definitely be in the cup final.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

So that is one of the bigger clubs who will be unable to field a team come August against us.

Add QOTS to that...

how many more?

Absolutely, not our fault is it? Many more to come, it’s only the 22nd of May 😃.

13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

If only we had 17 players out of contract too! 

Yeah if only.

132goals1958
11 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Which is why the idiots should have been looking to condense the leagues from the outset and somehow spreading monies on a more equitable basis. Even then some clubs would inevitably fold but at least they could have given it their best shot. Everything was orchestrated to ensure the Mhanks got their grubby mitts on the title and sod everyone else.One of the most shameful episodes in Scottish Football and their has been many.

59 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

It makes no odds if they do as there will be no points penalty as a result regardless.

Its been written in the rules for sometime that punished for admin when its because of force majeure isn’t applicable.

What we need is a couple of liquidations. It might actually be very difficult for a club falling into administration to actually climb out of it given the current financial situation. 

14 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

I know that’s been presented as the reasoning by a few of our resident part time QC’s but it’s more smoke and mirrors. The SPFL put out a statement about the end of recon and the lack of a vote, it can hardly be denied it didn’t happen. 

That's complete bollocks. There was no vote. If you are going to make snidey comments about posters, try and get your facts right first.

Hagar the Horrible

So Peter Reid from Peterheed whos club might  as well be deed, who have now only 4 players on their books has said it would be finacial suicide for clubs in 1 and 2 to play behind closed doors so it would be better cancelling next season altogether,  oh and to raise funds they have a Volvo for Sale

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

I notice DS in the EEN mentions 11-1.  I thought there was a suggestion (Barry Anderson's article of 1- 2 days ago), that it might be 9-3.  I know it would be 11-1 if it was about money and , since everything is about money somewhere down the line, you could say it is always 11-1 and never 9-3.

Seemingly no clarity on this which isn't helpful.

It has been pointed out many times that the allocation of prize money is 1-42 and not dependent on how many are in Premier.  Even if we change to 44 teams in SPFL, the financial difference between 1-42 and 1-44 will be small.

So, if you are giving the lesser Premier teams more games, that is good for the finances, surely.

Still not sure whether it is a non-starter as DS suggests or not.

Presumably, the poster who came on yesterday and said "Doncaster has written to all 42 clubs recommending reconstruction" was either pulling legs or has swallowed something from another leg-puller.  As the proposals haven't been finalised, it always seemed to be a wind-up.

from EEN article

Budge hopes the top flight could be enlarged to 14 teams – 16 has not yet been ruled out – but would likely need 11 of the 12 Premiership clubs to vote in favour of her restructuring document.

Interesting, that would allow Dundee into the fold.

doctor jambo
Just now, 132goals1958 said:

Which is why the idiots should have been looking to condense the leagues from the outset and somehow spreading monies on a more equitable basis. Even then some clubs would inevitably fold but at least they could have given it their best shot. Everything was orchestrated to ensure the Mhanks got their grubby mitts on the title and sod everyone else.One of the most shameful episodes in Scottish Football and their has been many.

On the bright side, the clubs are going to the wall AFTER they got their money and threw their dirty votes.

It cannot be blamed on Hearts.

Would it really be too much for the SPFL to go "Hearts were right, we need reconstruction as cubs are literally going to the wall"?

Probably.....

1 minute ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

So Peter Reid from Peterheed whos club might  as well be deed, who have now only 4 players on their books has said it would be finacial suicide for clubs in 1 and 2 to play behind closed doors so it would be better cancelling next season altogether,  oh and to raise funds they have a Volvo for Sale

They could ask to swap with Brora Rangers. 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, buba said:

The SFA agreed to give the place to Aberdeen in 4th, they made a rule two years ago that if Celtic won it then the 2nd place in the team in the league take the cup winners place in a later round of qualifying with the 4th place team going in at an earlier round.

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Oh well.

As Freddie would say "another one bites the dust"

heartandsoul
14 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I can hardly wait.

This

15 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Add QOTS to that...

how many more?

What’s stopping these teams signing  players when the season looks like restarting ? 

All clubs will be releasing players until such time income starts to flow, I’m sure we’ll be the same. 

doctor jambo
Just now, Dazo said:

What’s stopping these teams signing  players when the season looks like restarting ? 

All clubs will be releasing players until such time income starts to flow, I’m sure we’ll be the same. 

With what?

closed doors and no money coming in = cannae sign players

They are already in a lot of trouble.

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

It’s like they are trying to force the issue and deliberately mothball the league. 

4 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Their manager says different here

The theory that st Mirren knew the league would be called after our game isn’t far fetched as even people on this forum predicted it happening. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The SFA agreed to give the place to Aberdeen in 4th, they made a rule two years ago that if Celtic won it then the 2nd place in the team in the league take the cup winners place in a later round of qualifying with the 4th place team going in at an earlier round.

Yeah I get that. But Celtic haven’t won the cup.  Us or hubs would be been in with a shout at that euro spot 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Deevers said:

What we need is a couple of liquidations. It might actually be very difficult for a club falling into administration to actually climb out of it given the current financial situation. 

Absolutely, they will struggle to get out of it. Even if they come back as say “The Hibernians” for arguments sake 😜, they would need to join at the bottom of the pyramid unless Force Majeure covers that too?

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

It’s like they are trying to force the issue and deliberately mothball the league. 

Its probably just because all the different options are being discussed. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

When the season starts it'll be without fans. 

How do these clubs pay these players? 

We are in a better position than most. 

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

from EEN article

Budge hopes the top flight could be enlarged to 14 teams – 16 has not yet been ruled out – but would likely need 11 of the 12 Premiership clubs to vote in favour of her restructuring document.

Interesting, that would allow Dundee into the fold.

Exactly my thinking too, the whole 16 team league should not be taken out the picture. Glad to hear its still being quoted nonetheless. 

Although the usual bollocks on Sky TV Deal and 4 OF games, now is the best time to scrap playing 3/4 times with a stupid split and have a 30 game season, once home and away. 

That being said another poster pointed out that Keith Wyness called it 2 leagues and at this rate I will be surprised if there is enough for 2 leagues!

1 minute ago, buba said:

Yeah I get that. But Celtic haven’t won the cup.  Us or hubs would be been in with a shout at that euro spot 

They didn't win the league either! 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, buba said:

Definitely but that’s what they’ve decided, another part of a court case as it’s cost us the opportunity to get into Europe.

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

With what?

closed doors and no money coming in = cannae sign players

They are already in a lot of trouble.

Players are going to have to get use to no signing on fees as there won’t be a lot of money about for majority of clubs. 

Clubs are clearly on bother but will sign players that isn’t a doubt imo. 

8 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

They should keep the Volvo and use it as their team bus.

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

When the season starts it'll be without fans. 

How do these clubs pay these players? 

We are in a better position than most. 

Outside the top league football won’t start until fans are allowed in imo. 

Ethan Hunt
4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Didn't realise he was a lawyer but doesn't surprise me. His MO doesn't really do anything for us, with a massive grudge the guy is actually a top class administrator, however, he is a piss poor salesman.

We know who is pulling his strings, he has done everything they asked of him

For someone who is meant to be a top class administrator he has made a fair amount of administrative ‘errors’ in the last few weeks. Hopefully we’ll find out just how many he’s made in a court one day.

joondalupjambo
15 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

It seems the money they all voted to receive is doing them the world of good!!!

Bet at the moment a lot of Directors of the smaller clubs will be taking out whatever they can in the shape of Consultancy Fees.  They will see what is coming, look after themselves first and then hope that their club will survive via donations, loans or subsidies.  The one thing they will not be doing is be putting in any of their own cash into a sinking ship.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )