SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

7 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Me too, and Dunfermline, but they can both rot in hell now, it really sickens me to think how much I bent over to help Dunfermline in their hour of need as I live in Roysth, we held fund raisers for both Hearts and Dunfermline, we played them at their own gaff when the money was split evenly, even  though less than 1,000 of their poxy fans turned up to support their own dying club, and they then stab us right in the back, I almost fell out with a mate of mine who text me saying he can't wait to go for beers next season when we play at EEP, I told him to ram it as I'll be nowhere near that shit hole and I'll donate to Hearts instead, he wasn't happy at all, which is exactly the reaction I wanted, feck em all! 

My Dunfermline supporting colleague just mocks with "we'll see" when I talk about us boycotting there next season. These pissy wee clubs are expecting full away ends next season and their boards will be budgeting for it. We've got a bigger away support than Dundee United so they are delighted.  It's why we must starve them of as much money as possible.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

14 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

It's a sad day when Billy Dodds is one of the only pundits in the media I agree with

Not been very vocal on BBC has he? Certainly not when everyone was putting the boot in

Worthing Jambo

Did anyone find out if there was any truth in the rumour that Lawell (or someone) let St Mirren know that the league would be called after the Hearts game?

Just as well no one told Hamilton the plans that had been in the making for a few weeks.

They might have upped their game.

No, as that would be the football equivalent of insider dealing!

hmfc_steve
1 minute ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Did anyone find out if there was any truth in the rumour that Lawell (or someone) let St Mirren know that the league would be called after the Hearts game?

Just as well no one told Hamilton the plans that had been in the making for a few weeks.

They might have upped their game.

No, as that would be the football equivalent of insider dealing!

not heard that ?

The Old Tolbooth
7 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

My Dunfermline supporting colleague just mocks with "we'll see" when I talk about us boycotting there next season. These pissy wee clubs are expecting full away ends next season and their boards will be budgeting for it. We've got a bigger away support than Dundee United so they are delighted.  It's why we must starve them of as much money as possible.

Exactly mate, sadly though if we're doing well, then fans will most likely turn out in numbers, but I'm going to stick to my guns on this one even though it's on my doorstep. 

9 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

You didn’t understand my post because it didn’t have a “smilie smilie”, I responded with extra smilies... not being funny mate, but have you considered that maybe you just don’t always pick up on things? I’ve tried to be polite to you a few times in the past when you’ve got wide, whilst totally missing the point, so I’ll make this the last time.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

HHGH

I take it the smillie smillie you meant was one of these

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tv-host-carol-smillie-doubts-4915577

I have to admit if this is the case you do have pretty good taste on that front

Worthing Jambo
1 minute ago, hmfc_steve said:

not heard that ?

It was mentioned on here a few weeks ago.

not seen it mentioned since though.

Can’t imagine anyone tipping off a west coast mafia club though.

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Ask him the next time he thinks Dunfermline FC will be playing football?

Most of the chairmen and fans of these two bob outfits think fitba will be back to normal in August. They think they're going to get 3-4000 Jambos filling their shit holes twice a season from August.

Its this state of denial which fuels the decision making of the 'bowling club' Committee, that's got us into this shit state to begin with. 

Deluded fuds. 

Fxxx the SPFL

I have a feeling the vote will go against reconstruction i hope i'm wrong but i think some of these pishy wee clubs will just say feck it if we're going to the wall then we'll take those jambos down with us. So court will be the only option. :clubbed:

Thought this might be of interest and there is a mention of Suso!

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/CD-Tenerife-resume-training image.jpeg.5a0398a03f5545019d4a1a5c3a3de384.jpeg

After two months of inactivity, the blue and white players began individual training sessions in the renovated Ciudad Deportiva Javier Pérez, as captain Suso Santana and his teammates, took to the pitch.

The CDT squad all passed tests for Covid-19 last Thursday, at the Heliodoro Rodríguez López stadium, and received certificates with the results, divided into two groups of players to face the first exercises.

The session consisted of a warm-up, where each player occupied an individual area with a separation of more than five metres apart from each other. 
After this they had passing and shooting practice, and a series of races to finish under the command of Rubén Baraja and his coaching staff.
The goalkeepers trained individually at different times, and under the supervision of goalkeeper coach, Zeben Ortiz.

A return to activity has been planned from La Liga, with measures that have been agreed with the sports and health authorities, in order to guarantee the greatest safety for the health of all those involved.

Both the main Heliodoro stadium and the Ciudad Deportiva training ground were disinfected last Tuesday May 5th, according to the measures recommended by the Health authorities.

Rubén Baraja: "Football restarting is a good message for society"

The coach of CD Tenerife, Rubén Baraja, has said that the fact that football returns generates "a good message for society", since it is a "positive point" that will make the population believe that "everything will go smoothly" after the crisis caused by the coronavirus in recent months. 
"We need Spain to have stimuli, and one football is one of them" he said.

Baraja stressed that they must scrupulously comply with the protocol drawn up by LaLiga, since they have to be "very strict" with the security measures. The coach of CD Tenerife said that the return to competition will be "a challenge for everyone after a long time off", and they need to "arrive physically and mentally prepared" for the championship, taking into account the time that there will be between matches, and the period of the year in which the matches will be played.

The Tenerife technician stated that "the competition will be very short and focused", about which he recalled that in eleven games "the whole season will be decided". "We have to try and ensure that the entire squad is in the best possible dynamic, because everyone will be important," he warned.

Everything indicates that the expected start date of this 'mini-league' will be June 20th if there are no setbacks, with 11 games in 36 days.

avhudtheteeshirt

Was listening to Maxwell on Scotland tonight last night, and was totally surprised he mentioned talks going on with SKY?

Was this not one of the reasons for calling the league early as they did not want to upset the SKY deal?

It seems to me that the Rangers complaints are some what founded, when later statements saying different to what was said previously???

Just now, **** the SPFL said:

I have a feeling the vote will go against reconstruction i hope i'm wrong but i think some of these pishy wee clubs will just say feck it if we're going to the wall then we'll take those jambos down with us. So court will be the only option. :clubbed:

Normally I’d agree but with the threat of losing any court action, I think there’s a very slim chance it could go through. Not overly hopeful but maybe not a lost cause. 

SpikeDudley
20 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

For me it's also a case of "we'll see"

We'll see if these tinpot clubs are still in existence by then

Edited by SpikeDudley

vegas-voss

This is quite frankly crazy.The smaller clubs it might be better an 18 game league but for the larger clubs financially they need a longer season.How was none of this 18ngame season mentioned before votes on leagues were called.

Worthing Jambo
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

This is quite frankly crazy.The smaller clubs it might be better an 18 game league but for the larger clubs financially they need a longer season.How was none of this 18ngame season mentioned before votes on leagues were called.

Simply, 8.75 in a row.

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Normally I’d agree but with the threat of losing any court action, I think there’s a very slim chance it could go through. Not overly hopeful but maybe not a lost cause. 

here's hoping GR

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Let the lower leagues effectively play an 18 game amateur season in L1 and L2.

Given this is supposed to be the Scottish PROFESSIONAL Football League, we need to ensure that Falkirk and Partick who can afford to play are given a full season in the Championship.  If Queen of the South, Alloa et al want an 18 game season they can have it... in L1.

Drumelzier
9 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Was listening to Maxwell on Scotland tonight last night, and was totally surprised he mentioned talks going on with SKY?

Was this not one of the reasons for calling the league early as they did not want to upset the SKY deal?

It seems to me that the Rangers complaints are some what founded, when later statements saying different to what was said previously???

Doncaster was doing likewise last night.

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I would imagine our compensation claim rises by at least 50% towards the £5m mark if the SPFL attempts to shorten the Championship season.

Diadora Van Basten
3 minutes ago, Drumelzier said:

You would think given what he is saying that upsetting customers by screwing over their football team would not be a good policy.

He has more faces than Big Ben.

6 minutes ago, Drumelzier said:

Let’s hope this puppet clown Is one of the first casualties when and if it all goes belly up. 

7 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I would imagine our compensation claim rises by at least 50% towards the £5m mark if the SPFL attempts to shorten the Championship season.

Agreed.

Doncaster warns Scottish football’s real crisis is yet to come

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster believes the crisis which engulfed Scottish football this year will be nothing compared to what lies ahead next season.

Following the coronavirus outbreak, football was suspended in March and won’t return before June 10 at the earliest.

A controversial vote to bring a premature end to the season has resulted in infighting amongst clubs and potential legal challenges, alongside calls for an independent investigation into the governance of the game.

But Doncaster, who along with SFA counterpart Ian Maxwell heads up a Joint Response Group to tackle issues caused by the pandemic, believes far greater challenges await.

Speaking to STV’s Scotland Tonight, to be broadcast on Thursday at 7.30pm, he issued stark warnings.

“There is going to be huge stress in the coming season,” Doncaster said. “We may all look back at season 2019/2020 as being the season of crisis, but I don’t think that will prove to be the case.

“I think we’ll be looking back and saying season 2020/2021 was where the real problems were.

“Getting the game up and running, starting the season on time, getting clubs through the season – I think that’ll be very challenging. This crisis threatens clubs from the very top through to the pyramid system.

“Never have we faced a crisis of this magnitude. This is something which is unprecedented, which really does threaten the existence of the game in this country.”

The new season is scheduled to start in August, but it’s not yet known when football will return. When the game resumes, Premiership matches are likely to be played behind closed doors.

Doncaster said: “Working backwards, the first stage will be getting players back training, then once they are trained and conditioned, hopefully a date when we recommence games.

“Then separate from that, a date when we can get fans back in the stadiums and that’s clearly the goal. Scottish football is reliant on broadcasting income but far more from money generated coming through the turnstiles.

“We’ve made it very clear to the Scottish Government if we can’t get fans back any time soon, then that causes very, very real threats for all clubs in Scotland. It’s absolutely vital we get fans back inside stadia as soon and as safely as possible.”

The Joint Response Group is discussing a range of issues – from the protection of grassroots football, to potentially creating regional hubs for matches to generate revenue. The safety of everyone is, of course, paramount.

Players will need to be tested for Covid-19 before they take to the pitch again, which will come at a considerable cost.

Doncaster said: “If we just look at the cost of testing alone, which in the English Premier League is reckoned to a be a number of millions of pounds just to complete the season [2019-2020], so you can imagine for the full season in the EPL on that basis, you’re probably talking testing costing in the region of £15-20m.

“It’s huge money and that is clearly is going to be a massive challenge in our context.”

In 2018, the SPFL signed an exclusive TV deal with Sky Sports worth £125m, which is due to kick in from this August. Sky will broadcast 48 live Premiership games a season over the next five campaigns.

In the midst of a pandemic, can this deal now be renegotiated? Could there be a second live TV package or is live streaming an option to watch more top-flight games?

Doncaster said: “There is scope to have a conversation with our broadcast partners and perhaps make games more available to the fans who simply aren’t allowed into stadia.

“I think it’s important those conversations take place quietly. Those conversations are definitely happening. They’ll happen across the rest of the UK. Sky, BT and Amazon all have rights in the English Premier League. In our case, we have an exclusive deal which starts with Sky Sports in August and that’s just with Sky, so perhaps that makes it easier.”

It’s been claimed the SPFL faces a potential liability of £10m to broadcasters and sponsors for ending the campaign prematurely. Also, next season is scheduled to begin without a title sponsor.

Doncaster said: “It’s fair to say the sponsorship industry in general is in a difficult place at the moment. We know how attractive the league sponsorship has been, most recently with Ladbrokes.

“We are certainly in conversation with a number of brands about the possibility of them sponsoring the league.”    

The SPFL chief executive refused to be drawn on the civil war within the game.

annushorribilis III
12 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

IF there are talks with Sky then it's possibly about recon - problem is , Doncaster is a lawyer so nothing can be taken at more than face value. Is he having talks about ending the previous season contract - that's a possibility too because until/unless we hear that the 19/20 deal is ended then it's still in force. 

So, someone needs to put Doncaster on the spot and ask him - you having talks with Sky ? Is it about ending 19/20, or recon for 20/21 or what ? But our media are so piss poor at this. 

Rangers complaint about the  potential repayment of £11m was totally misunderstood by them and Doncaster told them so , publicly. 

The fact that Dungcaster says 

Doncaster said: “There is scope to have a conversation with our broadcast partners and perhaps make games more available to the fans who simply aren’t allowed into stadia.

“I think it’s important those conversations take place quietly. Those conversations are definitely happening. They’ll happen across the rest of the UK. Sky, BT and Amazon all have rights in the English Premier League. In our case, we have an exclusive deal which starts with Sky Sports in August and that’s just with Sky, so perhaps that makes it easier.”

Does this include changes to a league such a 16/18 team league? 

My guess probably not as Scottish football only give a shit about 4 OF games, would love to be proven wrong though

Lord Beni of Gorgie
37 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So Raith, who shouldn’t even be playing in the championship, now saying they don’t fancy playing ‘till January. Incredible stuff. 

Not too different to QoS who could so easily have gone down, saying the same.

I can see a real split of teams who want/need to play more games, even on virtual season tickets, against those who just don't fancy it.

As it was said last night, they should go amateur if that is the case, should be in no way the problem of professional outfits to cater for these clowns

Tommy Brown
6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Let’s hope this puppet clown Is one of the first casualties when and if it all goes belly up. 

100%

but sadly, he will go with a tidy pay-off bulging in his pockets.

Never hated any ***** more in my life.

5 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

IF there are talks with Sky then it's possibly about recon - problem is , Doncaster is a lawyer so nothing can be taken at more than face value. Is he having talks about ending the previous season contract - that's a possibility too because until/unless we hear that the 19/20 deal is ended then it's still in force. 

So, someone needs to put Doncaster on the spot and ask him - you having talks with Sky ? Is it about ending 19/20, or recon for 20/21 or what ? But our media are so piss poor at this. 

Rangers complaint about the  potential repayment of £11m was totally misunderstood by them and Doncaster told them so , publicly. 

Isn't  Maxwell SFA?  Talks wouldn't be about SPFL surely.

jamborambo

Looks to me like Doncaster has had a haircut.

Wonder how he managed that with the current lockdown Restrictions.

i would be very surprised if his wife, (or husband) was a hairdresser.

Maybe worth reporting a lockdown breach to Nicola.

Tommy Brown
8 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

well said

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Didn't realise he was a lawyer but doesn't surprise me. His MO doesn't really do anything for us, with a massive grudge the guy is actually a top class administrator, however, he is a piss poor salesman.

We know who is pulling his strings, he has done everything they asked of him

9 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

All about the money - and yet you have been dissing legal action since Day 1.

Hmmm.

That is UEFA and FIFA all over. I've not "dissed" legal action. Just said I can't see a definite angle to win such a claim.

Any idea when our reconstruction proposals are expected to be submitted?  Suppose any vote will be after Doncaster gets an agreement with Sky T.V. 

The Mighty Thor

So is this Doncaster coming into the real world?

Basically admitting that clubs will not see out the season unless fans get in?

Incredible that he (Lawwell) runs our game.

Vlad Magic
1 minute ago, jamborambo said:

Have you seen Sturgeons hair?

8 weeks since lockdown and it’s not changed.

annushorribilis III
Just now, RENE said:

Isn't  Maxwell SFA?  Talks wouldn't be about SPFL surely.

You need to ask the OP - but it's possible Maxwell is in the loop on this as the SFA is the governing body - they also have a problem with the Scottish Cup I assume. 

Doncaster knows he has to have talks with Sky about formally ending the 19.20 season TV deal - this was possible any time after 20 April - weird how we haven't heard anything about that £11M sword of Damocles being lifted. All that chat and it has suddenly gone very quiet in the media. 

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not one to bang on about it but the game really is being lost to the almighty buck, it seems the only thing that anyone in football understands or cares about. 

Without a doubt. It's money over medals for so many these days. 

Against Mod£rn Football

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

I think he has always been in it. What people say in public and behind closed doors are very different things.

Now that the main agenda item has passed, nothing was to get in the way of Celtics title, the rest of the agenda items can be considered. 

We need to apply maximum pressure across the board

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Some chat in my house it had got darker the other day. Like you, I hadn't noticed

south morocco
2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

It’s a wig is it no?

58 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Chat of an 18 game Championship surely strengthens our position.

Certainly increases the size of the compensation claim. 

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

UEFA dont give two shits about smaller teams.

THE SPFL dont either.

neither do the SFA

Celtic and their fans have no idea what it is like for "real" fans, they are too wrapped in their expensive, Champions League bubble with large pay, expensive signings.

The SPFL protects the "royalty" whilst throwing the plebs under the bus.

Everyone seems to forget that without the feeder clubs, there are no big clubs.

Without a base, there is no tip of a pyramid

6 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

She clearly takes more pride in her appearance than Worzel Gummidge in Number 10

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Certainly increases the size of the compensation claim. 

And thus strengthens our position.

15 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Some chat in my house it had got darker the other day. Like you, I hadn't noticed

My missus said it had changed colour aswell

16 minutes ago, jamborambo said:

That ***** cuts his own hair with a hacksaw. 

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

The Scottish Championship could be scaled down to just 18 games

By Stephen Mcgowan and John Greechan For The Scottish Daily Mail 00:33 22 May 2020, updated 01:03 22 May 2020

Scottish Championship clubs are set to discuss plans for a scaled-down 18-game season kicking off later this year.

And Raith Rovers chairman Bill Clark admits the second tier could even be mothballed until January.

The SFA and SPFL will present plans for a staged resumption to Scottish health minister Joe FitzPatrick and National Clinical Director Jason Leitch next Friday.

Plans for an 18-game Scottish Championship season are set to be discussed next week

Click here to resize this module

With a new £125million Sky Sports contract commencing on August 1 the Premiership will be the first league to resume, initially behind closed doors.

And Championship clubs will hold talks on Monday over a proposal to stage a season of nine home and nine away game later this year or early in the New Year when supporters could be allowed back into grounds.

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has announced plans for a phased exit from lockdown.

On Thursday night, however, Raith chairman Clark told Sportsmail that the cost of testing could force the second tier into cold storage until 2021 at the earliest.

Show Player

'I think what Nicola Sturgeon is talking about is, yes, professional football can start again - but maybe only at the Premiership level at first.

'Then it may be a phased introduction of it at Championship, then possibly - possibly - in League One and League Two.

The scaled-down season would consist of just nine home and nine away matches

'But, from what I'm hearing, it's very possible that the Championship might not start until January. And play only half the fixtures.

'So that's always a possibility - and that's based on the medical advice.

'It takes four to six weeks for players to train and get up to a professional level.

'And the testing costs for players and staff are enormous. I don't see how Championship clubs could afford to pay the costs involved - I really don't.'

Conscious of the need to grant Hearts a safe landing after relegation by committee from the Premiership, senior figures within the Scottish game insist the Championship will resume in some form.

However, Sportsmail understands the plan for an 18-game campaign placed in hibernation until autumn or winter will meet opposition from some Championship clubs on economic grounds.

Facing Covid-19 testing costs of between £3000 and £5000 per club per week, teams already deprived of gate receipts fear they would be unable to pay the wages of contracted players until the league finally got under way.

One league source said on Thursday night: 'This plan for a delayed resumption of a shorter season is being pushed by one or two clubs, but can we really afford to half the number of home games while paying players who aren't playing for six months? The league really needs to start in September.'

Scotland's lower leagues may miss a quick restart, with priority going to the Premiership

Clubs from Leagues One and Two, meanwhile, have asked for time to explore every possible option before agreeing to place the lower leagues in cold storage until January.

Chairmen from both divisions held a Zoom call with SPFL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster and Chairman Murdoch MacLennan on Thursday.

Acknowledging that the costs of testing players could be prohibitive, Stenhousemuir chairman Iain McMenemy insists clubs would rather find a way to start playing games - even if it means losing money.

'There is a desire amongst clubs to explore every avenue to play behind closed doors if that's the option.

'We cannot see how it can be financially viable. But if we can get to a point where we are at least not losing too much money then I think that would be the best option.

'The alternative to that is going into hibernation for an extended period.

'And that would probably do more harm than losing money by playing behind closed doors.

'All clubs want to get back to playing football. They want to explore every option possible to get the game back on. But only if it's safe and affordable.

There is financial concern for clubs surrounding testing, especially with no gate receipts

'It's a case of asking now whether we can find way to make behind closed doors work for lower league clubs - or can't we?

'It would require weekly testing of players and staff and we need to ask now if we can do that?

'I think everybody ants to get football back if we possibly can. But we have to face the fact it might not be possible.'

Placing the lower leagues in cold storage could have a knock-on effect on the Betfred Cup.

Due to kick off in mid-July to fulfil a new broadcasting contract with Premier Sports, the SPFL still intend to play the League Cup if possible.

On Thursday night, however, Neil Doncaster admitted timing is an issue telling Sky Sports: 'A number of part-time clubs are unable to be up and running because they can't accommodate playing behind closed doors and that's going to be a particular challenge to the League Cup.

'We'll work with our other partners for that competition, including Betfred, to try and find a way to do that as well.'

So no solidarity from the bigger SPFL clubs to pay the testing for all clubs out of this glorious new TV deal even when there's enough cash to pay for the top two tiers.

And where is the SPFL going to be contractually with the new TV contract for the League Cup - they're going to tell the broadcaster there's no games (in July) because they're not willing to spend the TV money on testing in order to fulfill the fixtures ? That should be interesting. 

Hopefully HMFC boots this idea into the long grass ( if it is actually a serious proposal) and tell them we'll be ready for a full season. 

SectionDJambo
7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

This is the biggest scandal to come out of this farce. The SPFL board have shown little or no leadership, or ambition to any clubs, other than to be desperate to congratulate Celtic. No plan, no drive, no clue as to how to save the other 41 member clubs. The biggest asset, togetherness, has been obliterated by lies and deceit required to give Celtic their 9 in a row and expell us. 

Just what is Doncaster doing to earn his salary, apart from making sure a global pandemic didn't deny Celtic their worthless bragging rights? He doesn't even seem to be contributing to Dempster's think tank 😂 on how to restart games with spectators.

If Hearts do end up taking legal action, the blame for clubs going bust as a result of this lack of any ideas or leadership, will conveniently be thrown at us by the usual thick pundits and Glasgow media, instead of where it should land. At the feet of Lawwell, Doncaster, etc., the Teflon men.

Riccarton3
20 minutes ago, jamborambo said:

looks like a self inflicted effort. And I speak from experience

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )