SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

7 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

As others have said, does removing the play-offs in any final standings scenario constitute league reconstruction and therefore require to be voted, through, presumably with the 11-1 requirement in the SPFL?.

Hearts need an ally here. Someone we can depend on. 

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Geoff Kilpatrick
34 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

Lower league clubs have apparently voted to finish the leagues as they stand.  Nothing about promotion or relegation mentioned. Nothing confirmed yet, and nothing about SPL yet.   

Of course. You know everything. :rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Just quickly on your first point: as it stands, the players might be open to having their contracts extended by a month or two as the alternative is being a free agent in a world where clubs are cutting/deferring salaries and fearing for their TV income. 

But in Scotland most clubs can’t afford the extra wages that would result in. Clubs budget for very few playing staff during close season. That’s why lots of hiring happens just before pre-season or season starts. 

David McCaig
16 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Ironically, if it does go to an 11-1 vote, Celtic would need us just as much as Rangers.

Hagar the Horrible
12 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

All clubs including us have only ever put themselves first before the fans and for the benefit for the game.  The populist vote to actually deal with Sevco's treatment and they would have been voted back into the top flight is testement to that! because clubs put £££ before morality.   Right now  Celtic and the media are trying to bully the whole league into making a decision which is best for Celtic, not the League and NOT the Game?  Clubs are too scared to upset the Victims.  Right now they are making a decision as things stand, but football wont come out of this unscathed, so actually treating us the same way as the tried to treat Sevco is the right thing at the right time,  There was no armageddon when Sevco had to rise through the leagues,  But this time armageddon is coming from external sources. They have planned for a 3 month lay off,  Furlough has only been agreed until the 31st May!  it might be extended, but probably only on a month to month basis, and will stop before the game is allowed to continue.  So although they Will vote for us to be relegated as it will be seen as the best bad decision, and be spun as the moral decision.  The reality is Football will be about who is left standing at the end of all of this,   They are playing poker when sods law have 2 aces and the SPFL have Mr Bunn the baker and an Ono card.

We can only depend on being shafted, but Kharma is a bitch with a whip and high heels.....

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Barack said:

If as is suggested in this article the main driver is getting prize money for league places to clubs why not just distribute prize money now on the basis of current placings and make an adjustment to the moneys at the end of next season to correct any discrepancies?

Hagar the Horrible
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

If as is suggested in this article the main driver is getting prize money for league places to clubs why not just distribute prize money now on the basis of current placings and make an adjustment to the moneys at the end of next season to correct any discrepancies?

WE are all in together, so why not distibute the money equally to all clubs? 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

:laugh:

1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

The lockdown will continue beyond the end dates of many players contracts.  The season cannot be completed, so voided.

Promotion throughout the pyramid but no relegation.  Brora and Kelty are rich enough to come into the 2nd Div.

Lockdown won't continue till the end of June but your correct in as much as they'll be no football played well beyond that date 

Malinga the Swinga
15 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

You mean expect our bigger clubs to do the honourable thing and help the smaller clubs survive. You mean expect those with the most to help those with the least. You mean expect those at the top to look at the bigger picture and just maintain their small minded parochial viewpoint.

Do you think we are in Germany? This is Scotland and the only concern in football is to ensure Lawell and the Celtic family get what they want. If, at the same time, Sevco can be looked after and their financials glossed over, so much the better.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

It doesn't work. If contracts expire then it isn't a fair finale to the season, any club that just happens to have more out of contract players this summer is automatically at a disadvantage. I don't see any way to end this season with any degree of fairness. 

I never said it would ffs. I am just putting forward something I read. Don't shoot the messenger.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11970118/fifa-to-allow-contract-extensions-and-transfer-window-move

Edited by wavydavy

maroonsgotop
14 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Lockdown won't continue till the end of June but your correct in as much as they'll be no football played well beyond that date 

article in today's Guardian. Whilst some other 'experts' have disputed the findings it's a clear indication that the number of deaths are still at a modest level and it's hard to see how football will be played in front of crowds any time soon. No doubt the Associations will continue to push for closed doors games.

World-leading disease data analysts have projected that the UK will become the country worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic in Europe, accounting for more than 40% of total deaths across the continent.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) in Seattle predicts 66,000 UK deaths from Covid-19 by August, with a peak of nearly 3,000 a day, based on a steep climb in daily deaths early in the outbreak.

The Mighty Thor

There will be no football for a long time and no football in front of paying customers for even longer.

The wishful thinking of the SFA, UEFA, FIFA ain't going yo make it happen any sooner. 

What happens to Hearts? With what's happening at the minute, who cares really?

Let's see how many clubs are still viable when football rolls around again, because you can bet your bollocks that the TV companies will be looking at their contractural obligations with leagues right now as the arse has fallen out of the subscribers to BT/SKY. 

Unknown user
Just now, wavydavy said:

I never said it would ffs. I am just putting forward something I read. Don't shoot the messenger.

What are you on about, who's shooting anyone? I'm just offering an opinion on something you've posted.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What are you on about, who's shooting anyone? I'm just offering an opinion on something you've posted.

It's not how I read it . I think your Avatar says a lot.

Edited by wavydavy

Unknown user
Just now, wavydavy said:

It's not how I read it . I think yopu Avatar says a lot.

Don't be such a baby, there's nothing wrong with what I said.

If you can't deal with people calmly discussing what you post it's your problem, not mine.

GorgieRules22

Seems that all clubs are voting this afternoon and there’s only two options available. Null and Void or finish it now with the way the positions are.

Why is there not an option to finish the league ?

Pretty much confirms to me that we’re relegated.

I don’t see how they can call the other leagues and not the Premier. The article states Dundee United will be promoted but how can you make that decision if you’ve not agreed on the premier. Seems a load of sh^te

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Seems that all clubs are voting this afternoon and there’s only two options available. Null and Void or finish it now with the way the positions are.

And if you finish on the positions how do you resolve the play-offs, if you don’t have promotion/relegation via the play-offs, how can you justify it based on standings.

This would be a form of league reconstruction via the back door.  

Dirty Deeds
2 hours ago, Stendelsarmy said:

That's great except option 2 isn't fair. How is it fair to call a champion, to call European places and to call promotion places in the leagues below when the season isn't finished? 

Fair is option 1, no-one had won any of the leagues yet so nothing is being stolen away. No-one had been relegated yet so no-one is getting away with anything. 

Agree with this and the original post.

However,  it's about money not fairness.  I think Scotland will follow whatever England do and England will follow the money.

Only guessing but I think its matches in empty stadiums at an undetermined future point. 

David McCaig

Does the SPFL Premier Division have the autonomy to close ranks on this and neither relegate or promote from the Championship?

Edited by David McCaig

5 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Because it’s impossible to say when or if at all the league can be finished. It’s the correct options for me as long as there are no winners or losers promoted/relegated 

7 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Because that's the obvious option for all teams. There's no need to vote on that. It would win. They need to determine the next more desired option.

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

article in today's Guardian. Whilst some other 'experts' have disputed the findings it's a clear indication that the number of deaths are still at a modest level and it's hard to see how football will be played in front of crowds any time soon. No doubt the Associations will continue to push for closed doors games.

World-leading disease data analysts have projected that the UK will become the country worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic in Europe, accounting for more than 40% of total deaths across the continent.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) in Seattle predicts 66,000 UK deaths from Covid-19 by August, with a peak of nearly 3,000 a day, based on a steep climb in daily deaths early in the outbreak.

It all depends who you believe.

mellors1874

be very suprised if rangers vote for Dundee utd to be promoted considering the hatred the 2 clubs have over rangers being relegated 

7 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Does the SPFL Premier Division have the autonomy to close ranks on this and neither relegate or promote from the Championship?

No.  It’s a complete body now once they joined together.  The lower league news is very bad for us and immediately ****ing shocking on Partick. 

David McCaig
Just now, Last Laff said:

No.  It’s a complete body now once they joined together.  The lower league news is very bad for us and immediately ****ing shocking on Partick. 

I’m not sure how they can be one body, yet though individually.

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Because that's the obvious option for all teams. There's no need to vote on that. It would win. They need to determine the next more desired option.

It wouldn’t win, prize money is needed ASAP and clubs can’t wait for months on that happening, especially lower leagues where playing behind closed doors for them would cripple them.  The Prem is a different story though. 

Paint the town maroon
14 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Yup. Looks like it. The delay to confirm premiership will be down to need for UEFA agreement given comments from the UEFA president recently. 

Looking like we are relegated. FFS.

Just now, David McCaig said:

I’m not sure how they can be one body, yet though individually.

It’s the SPFL Since the SFL merged with the prem’. 

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

It’s the SPFL Since the SFL merged with the prem’. 

I know that, my point is how Tiers 2-4 can vote separately from the SPFL Premier Division.

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I know that, my point is how Tiers 2-4 can vote separately from the SPFL Premier Division.

That’s what the board decided before awaiting guidance from UEFA for the top league.  The prem clubs would have been part of the overall vote also I would imagine. 

9 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

be very suprised if rangers vote for Dundee utd to be promoted considering the hatred the 2 clubs have over rangers being relegated 

Rangers weren't relegated. They folded and started a new club. This meaning entering the Scottish league from the bottom division. 

Hackney Hearts
9 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

It wouldn’t win, prize money is needed ASAP and clubs can’t wait for months on that happening 

Francis Albert made a perfectly good suggestion to solve that issue a few posts ago:

3 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Francis Albert made a perfectly good suggestion to solve that issue a few posts ago:

TV companies won’t release funds (that help all the leagues) until the season is declared finished. Lower league sides also have almost complete squads on one year contracts too - extending the league season would mean having to keep players on extended contacts they couldn’t afford either. 

Edited by Last Laff

Just now, Heres Rixxy said:

Well that's us relegated. 

Looks like reconstruction is the hope.  Something I can’t see many lower league clubs wanting as well as other clubs in the top league. 

kingantti1874

Re teams needing prize money - hopefully the rules will be applied and 15pt deductions dealt out for teams going into administration.. yes I’m serious.. **** any club trying to send us down.. 

Bunny Munro
1 minute ago, Barack said:

"If the resolution is approved, the SPFL has also committed to consulting with Clubs over the possibility of League restructuring ahead of Season 2020/21."

Consulting. :lol:

Aye, that'll happen.

It's a total cop out. No vote should take place until the teams know what they are voting for. Trying to bribe Falkirk etc with prize money in exchange for a vote, with the promise of 'maybe having a look to try and keep them up'.

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

TV companies won’t release funds (that help all the leagues) until the season is declared finished. Lower league sides also have almost complete squads on one year contracts too - extending the league season would mean having to keep players on extended contacts they couldn’t afford either. 

All funds have been released IIRC

Heartsofgold
2 hours ago, Stendelsarmy said:

That's great except option 2 isn't fair. How is it fair to call a champion, to call European places and to call promotion places in the leagues below when the season isn't finished? 

Fair is option 1, no-one had won any of the leagues yet so nothing is being stolen away. No-one had been relegated yet so no-one is getting away with anything. 

Option 1 will never happen due to one simple factor. Money. 

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

"If the resolution is approved, the SPFL has also committed to consulting with Clubs over the possibility of League restructuring ahead of Season 2020/21."

Consulting. :lol:

Aye, that'll happen.

Its Ok we can always threaten the possibility of a substantial lawsuit for damages if they relegate us without completing the fixtures.  That may not only delay any football restarting but take money away from the final place payments these clubs are trying to get.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

All funds have been released IIRC

Part funds have I think. If you’re right then of course the other suggestion comes into play apart from the fact all they clubs won’t have any players to concluded the season. 

Heartsofgold
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Just quickly on your first point: as it stands, the players might be open to having their contracts extended by a month or two as the alternative is being a free agent in a world where clubs are cutting/deferring salaries and fearing for their TV income. 

Maybe and I agree with that but the talk is of unilaterally extending them. That’s not legally possible. 

6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Looks like reconstruction is the hope.  Something I can’t see many lower league clubs wanting as well as other clubs in the top league. 

If reconstruction comes in the form of two promotions and no relegations from each division, I think it would be very popular.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )