Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

GorgieFifeLife

Those who have underlying medical issues which make them more likely to have problems should isolate themselves to protect themselves.  Most people can go about their business and may get mild symptoms.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

Brighton Jambo
Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

You think 1 in 382 people will get it in the UK? China has been hit worst and been dealing with it over 3 months, their rate of infection is currently 1 in 17,000. I don't get the logic, if I'm being honest.

China locked down whole cities for weeks at a time we haven’t and won’t do that.  I may be wrong but by the end of the year I don’t see one in nearly 400 people having contracted this in some form is that outlandish.  Also that figure for China is the reported cases, tens of thousands more will have had some form of this so mildly they didn’t report it.  Reality is we will never know how many people eventually end up with it.  

tolcross lad
10 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I'll eat my hat if half of your claimed 170,000 even catch it.

Could be a Paddy Ashdown moment.

If you are eating your hat at 85000.Thats 2500 deaths based on death rate at 3%.

18 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

It really is a lot of shite. Wash your hands and don't cough or sneeze on people, a normal day for anyone with the slightest bit of respect for others.

And themselves. I hate it when I see men leave urinals without washing hands. 

26 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

So if the message is to get across we should all be queuing up at the sinks tomorrow in the bogs and singing two verses of the Hearts song while washing our mits. Better be plenty hot water, soap and hand drying stuff on tap. 

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

China locked down whole cities for weeks at a time we haven’t and won’t do that.  I may be wrong but by the end of the year I don’t see one in nearly 400 people having contracted this in some form is that outlandish.  Also that figure for China is the reported cases, tens of thousands more will have had some form of this so mildly they didn’t report it.  Reality is we will never know how many people eventually end up with it.  

0.1% of Hubei province have caught it. 

Even if every case from Hubei was in Wuhan that percentage works out at 0.9% of the population.

So either it isn't much of a threat or we should also lock down cities.

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

0.1% of Hubei province have caught it. 

Even if every case from Hubei was in Wuhan that percentage works out at 0.9% of the population.

So either it isn't much of a threat or we should also lock down cities.

0.1% was reported cases.  

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

It’s economics that are driving some of the decisions. It’s important to pull the trigger on this sort of thing at the right time. 

Im not sure season tickets would need refunded. I would need to look at that. They might term it a ‘force majeure’ which would probably enable clubs to retain the income etc. Though obviously some PR issues round that strategy, 

They will need to take a longer view around this. They can’t impact future seasons too much. Football seasons are pretty set for a few seasons ot advance due to tournaments impacts.

I think we would more likely see closed door games than delay of games. That is personal opinion only and based on little though.

If season tickets were not refunded I would think they would be hard to sell in future seasons.

Football matches need supporters,closed door games are more like training sessions when you dont have the passion from the stands.

50 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

http://www.20splenty.org/do_emission_increase 

Increased emissions, eh?

There’s an impartial group. 
If you drive past someone at 20 miles and hour or 30 miles an hour you spend 50% longer beside them at the higher speed. 
I’m not talking about stop/start or breaking points, so the efficiency of the car. I am talking about emissions pedestrians are exposed to. Think I am right there but happy to be corrected. 
seeing as you have an interest in the subject, do you know if there are any stats on the reduction of/severity of actual injuries as a result of the speed reduction. 
I don’t know the answer. Just interested myself. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just saw a tweet Leeds. Big push on hygiene in the stadium asking people to refrain from hugging shaking hands or high 5s

:rofl:

7 minutes ago, Sid said:

There’s an impartial group. 
If you drive past someone at 20 miles and hour or 30 miles an hour you spend 50% longer beside them at the higher speed. 
I’m not talking about stop/start or breaking points, so the efficiency of the car. I am talking about emissions pedestrians are exposed to. Think I am right there but happy to be corrected. 
seeing as you have an interest in the subject, do you know if there are any stats on the reduction of/severity of actual injuries as a result of the speed reduction. 
I don’t know the answer. Just interested myself. 

But if you consume less fuel over the whole journey, even although it takes longer, you have, or at least your car has, lower emissions. The key factor is how much fuel you use, not how long it takes. Anyway, I'm no expert and we seem to have diverted from the subject at hand, which is the covid virus and its impact on football, so I'll restrict myself to that subject (if I stay in the discussion). in town, I mostly walk or take the bus these days anyway (virtue signaller me). All the best.

27 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

Just a matter of time 

One confirmed case within the players will put a stop to that teams fixtures for the rest of the season. 

2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Absolutely, so minimising the spread as far as possible is the obvious and responsible thing to do.

Brushing it off as nothing is extremely irresponsible in my opinion 

Oh no I agree with you there. In no way am I brushing it off, just don’t think a blanket isolation is necessarily the answer. Targeted isolation I think makes sense 

davemclaren

Asked about the potential impact on major events, Dr Calderwood said: "The emerging scientific advice is that large-scale gatherings, particularly those in the open air probably don't make a big impact on the transmission of the virus in the community. 
"We have the rugby at Murrayfield, Scotland v France, going ahead this weekend and I am absolutely sure that that is the right thing to do."

Number of Scottish coronavirus cases rises to 11 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51765401

A point to note as well is I think people are assuming/the reporting leads that if your elderly or have underlying issues it’s a death sentence. I don’t think that I’d the case. But it will mean these people will need more critical care. 

There’s an interview on bbc with an American guy that caught it on the first cruise. He looks late 50s/early 60s and he said it was like a very mild cold. Dry cough and high fever but no other cold/flu like symptoms. 

It won’t effect everyone the same way. Needs to be treated seriously but not with the fear mongering that’s going on in the press. 

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

But if you consume less fuel over the whole journey, even although it takes longer, you have, or at least your car has, lower emissions. The key factor is how much fuel you use, not how long it takes. Anyway, I'm no expert and we seem to have diverted from the subject at hand, which is the covid virus and its impact on football, so I'll restrict myself to that subject (if I stay in the discussion). in town, I mostly walk or take the bus these days anyway (virtue signaller me). All the best.

Agree. Too far off topic. 
back to corona virus and hoping we just win enough points with or without crowds to keep us up!  

3 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Are they not trying to contain and delay it as they do not yet have a vaccine that can be distributed out.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Its reported that the death rate for Covid-19 is circa 3.4%

It stands to reason therefore that the attempts to contain and delay the spread of the virus in order to deleverage the risk to the vulnerable and the aged, at the very least until a vaccine can be issued.

It's extremely naive and irresponsible to think "I'm all right jack, cause I'm bot elderly or vulnerable"

No, they are trying to contain it because it is possible, within certain limits, to contain it.

Not sure who the alright Jack comment is aimed at but i’m not saying the risk is far lower and this far less of a threat because i’m neither elderly or vulnerable. I’m saying that it is not the threat it is being made out to be by the media.

The reported death rate keeps changing because they don’t have accurate figures and it depends on whose data you use.

Some recent reports say it is 1.5%.

And it is very likely that the rate will come down over time as they capture more instances of people catching it but not actually being that ill. At the moment many of these go unreported. 

Wash your hands a bit more often and carry on as normal.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Just saw a tweet Leeds. Big push on hygiene in the stadium asking people to refrain from hugging shaking hands or high 5s

:rofl:

Had a giggle there - our end at the piggery on Tuesday would of adhered to that right enough 😂😂😂

King Of The Cat Cafe
3 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Not to mention the ones who  use the stalls and piss all over the seats instead of lifting them.

Then they leave the stall without flushing.  Dirty bustards.

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

No, they are trying to contain it because it is possible, within certain limits, to contain it.

Not sure who the alright Jack comment is aimed at but i’m not saying the risk is far lower and this far less of a threat because i’m neither elderly or vulnerable. I’m saying that it is not the threat it is being made out to be by the media.

The reported death rate keeps changing because they don’t have accurate figures and it depends on whose data you use.

Some recent reports say it is 1.5%.

And it is very likely that the rate will come down over time as they capture more instances of people catching it but not actually being that ill. At the moment many of these go unreported. 

Wash your hands a bit more often and carry on as normal.

Speaking as someone else whose spouse is a front line health worker, your comments are at best unhelpful and at worse dangerous.

It's not just the death rate that is important, although if you lose your granny or grandpa you may find yourself less comfortable with a 1.5% rate. It's the overall impact of a virus that doesn't have a vaccine or medications that can control symptoms so people can "carry on as normal". You can have a cold or even flu today and go to work and be 100% sure you will "only" at worse give someone else a cold. If you go to work with this virus you could literally directly kill someone you come into contact with at worst and at best "just" spread it further and kill someone else further down the contact chain indirectly.

So you have to stay home if you have it. This will cause massive economic impact. Government services won't work. Companies will go bust. People will lose their income and jobs, permanent if their company is forced to close down due to no staff or because their business relies on people coming out to it. Your local restaurants and pubs for example.

Washing hands and avoiding some types of person to person contact might make immature pricks giggle but it's a proven way to slow down or control the spread of disease.

theehibhater1971

will this mean clubs like motherwell will be forced to get there toilets in order,because not one tap works,last time there you couldnt wash ur hands spoke to stewards abt it,shaking there hand first,jst to get my point across.there reply blame t old firm for wrecking them all.so maybe one good ting to come out of this is clubs will be forced to get the standered facilities in order for the fans

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Influenza mortality rate in the UK is something like 0.4%, this thing is 1%. 

Basically 67,000 deaths if everyone in the UK catches it. 

Not forgetting that nobody has the Coronavirus flu jab as it doesn’t exist

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, kila said:

The end of the 3pm Saturday TV ban, and Amazon Prime to show every closed ground game with canned cheering etc

CGI fans! In all seriousness, I think if this gets to the stage of all big gatherings banned everywhere, just writing off the seasons - no champions, no relegations, no cup winners - and not playing the last games will be the sensible thing. Players won't be able to really train in that situation I assume? Or maybe with only a month or two to do they'll just go through the motions.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Had a giggle there - our end at the piggery on Tuesday would of adhered to that right enough 😂😂😂

Exactly what went through my mind, limbs limbs and more limbs 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, kila said:

The end of the 3pm Saturday TV ban, and Amazon Prime to show every closed ground game with canned cheering etc

EA sports surely need to be called 

4 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Yeah its disgusting

Lord Beni of Gorgie
55 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Speaking as someone else whose spouse is a front line health worker, your comments are at best unhelpful and at worse dangerous.

It's not just the death rate that is important, although if you lose your granny or grandpa you may find yourself less comfortable with a 1.5% rate. It's the overall impact of a virus that doesn't have a vaccine or medications that can control symptoms so people can "carry on as normal". You can have a cold or even flu today and go to work and be 100% sure you will "only" at worse give someone else a cold. If you go to work with this virus you could literally directly kill someone you come into contact with at worst and at best "just" spread it further and kill someone else further down the contact chain indirectly.

So you have to stay home if you have it. This will cause massive economic impact. Government services won't work. Companies will go bust. People will lose their income and jobs, permanent if their company is forced to close down due to no staff or because their business relies on people coming out to it. Your local restaurants and pubs for example.

Washing hands and avoiding some types of person to person contact might make immature pricks giggle but it's a proven way to slow down or control the spread of disease.

Catch 22 though. 

People need to go to work to keep money turning round. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Catch 22 though. 

People need to go to work to keep money turning round. 

Universities and schools are being closed because of a fairly small number of cases in Italy. There will be mass absences, parents having to look after kids and people being told not to go to work if they have symptoms, or not being able to because they feel so shit. Think about having the worst cold you can imagine and no medication works to relieve it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Universities and schools are being closed because of a fairly small number of cases in Italy. There will be mass absences, parents having to look after kids and people being told not to go to work if they have symptoms, or not being able to because they feel so shit. Think about having the worst cold you can imagine and no medication works to relieve it.

Not really what I was getting at.

Folk might not have a job to go to,  Flybe. 

At what point do we let vulnerable businesses go to the wall. 

Insurance companies are going to be bulging at the seams. 

Tough times and tough choices until it is tempered 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not really what I was getting at.

Folk might not have a job to go to,  Flybe. 

At what point do we let vulnerable businesses go to the wall. 

Insurance companies are going to be bulging at the seams. 

Tough times and tough choices until it is tempered 

It's just the way it'll have to be if it gets that bad. What other option is there? Folk simply won't be able to go to work if they have symptoms.

That's why the hand washing etc is so important now as it's the best chance of preventing it getting to that stage sooner. It buys time to hopefully develop a vaccine.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Not forgetting that nobody has the Coronavirus flu jab as it doesn’t exist

Good point. 👍 

Enzo Chiefo
5 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

You think 1 in 382 people will get it in the UK? China has been hit worst and been dealing with it over 3 months, their rate of infection is currently 1 in 17,000. I don't get the logic, if I'm being honest.

Btw there's a guy in the Shed that thinks 1 in 5 will get it here. So you're certainly not the biggest worrier here by far.

We have had 1500 tested in Scotland and only 11 positive tests...0.75% or so. The Chief Med Officer here said we are "very much in the containment phase" and confirmed there was very little evidence of community transition. Italy is a different ball game as they failed to identify Patient 0 and were caught flat footed. 

Coronavirus: Sports bosses and broadcasters summoned to discuss contingency plans.

Sports authorities and broadcasters have been summoned by the government for discussions on coronavirus contingency plans, Sky Sports News has reported.

The meetings will be held in London on Monday and will cover various possibilities in case the virus spreads further.

Ministers will go over a wide range of scenarios in the hope of reaching agreements about a plan to protect the public.

Some events could potentially be held behind closed doors, it is understood.

The Premier League has currently not changed any football fixtures but has scrapped the traditional pre-match handshake between players.

Edited by Dannie Boy

upgotheheads

6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Coronavirus: Premier League considers ban on over 70s at matches over coronavirus
http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-sports-bosses-and-broadcasters-summoned-to-discuss-contingency-plans-11951225

Bloody Hell. I'm 70, skiing in the Alps, spent 6 hours on my skis today a lot of it off- pist, and they're going to tell me I'm not fit to go to a football match! Away tae Feck. Also have had quite a lot of wine.

Edited by upgotheheads

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Bloody Hell. I'm 70, skiing in the Alps, spent 6 hours on my skis today a lot of it off- pist, and they're going to tell me I'm not fit to go to a football match! Away tae Feck. Also have had quite a lot of wine.

👍

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Also have had quite a lot of wine

New vaccine? You could be in a winner there! 😉

annushorribilis III
6 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Those who have underlying medical issues which make them more likely to have problems should isolate themselves to protect themselves.  Most people can go about their business and may get mild symptoms.

A friend of mine , 63, has immunity issues due to arthritis meds, high blood pressure, suffering from a months long fungal infection in his lung : been advised to self isolate for the next month.

He's fortunate that he can because he runs his own businesses from home  but how the hell is that supposed to work across the general population ? 

Oh, and his wife works in a school. 

He's very, very worried. 

stranraer-jambo

20200306_204112.jpg.7a82cd37c803ca1c6c29f3393b79def0.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

New vaccine? You could be in a winner there! 😉

Not intending to trivialise the seriousness of the situation at all, but found this amusing. 

The message, though, applies to many of us on here in that we only know what the authorities want us to know. 

Great band too btw. 

10 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

A friend of mine , 63, has immunity issues due to arthritis meds, high blood pressure, suffering from a months long fungal infection in his lung : been advised to self isolate for the next month.

He's fortunate that he can because he runs his own businesses from home  but how the hell is that supposed to work across the general population ? 

Oh, and his wife works in a school. 

He's very, very worried. 

I know several people with long term health problems who work minimum wage type jobs and wouldn’t be able to pay essential bills if they don’t get paid. 

12 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

20200306_204112.jpg.7a82cd37c803ca1c6c29f3393b79def0.jpg

Not intending to trivialise the seriousness of the situation at all, but found this amusing. 

The message, though, applies to many of us on here in that we only know what the authorities want us to know. 

Great band too btw. 

Couldn't resist my post. I’m not 70 yet but I’m certainly taking steps to reduce my chances of picking up the virus. 
My wife is a senior nurse and I’ve been posting the updates she gets from the Staff Bank to help out a bit perspective on how the front line are being kept up to speed. My daughter-in-law is a Doctor in the A&E and I get info from her as well. It’s more accurate and informative than the media at the moment.  

Edited by Dannie Boy

stranraer-jambo
8 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Couldn't resist my post. I’m not 70 yet but I’m certainly taking steps to reduce my chances of picking up the virus. 
My wife is a senior nurse and I’ve been posting the updates she gets from the Staff Bank to help out a bit perspective on how the front line are being kept up to speed. My daughter-in-law is a Doctor in the A&E and I get info from her as well. It’s more accurate and informative than the media at the moment.  

Couldn't agree more. 

My wife and I are teachers in different schools. Other than general hand hygiene and self quarantine for staff, our Council has only been passing on info that is available on NHS website. 

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, spacerjoe said:

Why do people keep banging the drum 'thousands die from flu every year, so why should we worry about this'?

They are trying to stop a disease which is barely a few months old and very little is known about, from becoming endemic in the same way flu did. Even if it only goes on to become as deadly as flu, that still means doubling the number of deaths each year.

Not seen anyone drawing the conclusion "why should we worry?" Simply a matter of maintaining some sort of perspective. The simple fact is you are at present far more likely to die of seasonal flu than Coronavirus. It may just be Chinese propaganda but I have read that the number of new cases in China has declined. If true it is grounds for some hope that we are not DOOMED.

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Not seen anyone drawing the conclusion "why should we worry?" Simply a matter of maintaining some sort of perspective. The simple fact is you are at present far more likely to die of seasonal flu than Coronavirus. It may just be Chinese propaganda but I have read that the number of new cases in China has declined. If true it is grounds for some hope that we are not DOOMED.

A lot of people taking an "I'm alright Jack" approach here, so just to reiterate: There is no coronavirus cure or vaccine (unlike flu). Whether you die or not seems to depend on your age, medical conditions, etc. Do you or a friend, colleague or family member have diabetes, heart condition, asthma... ?

And as a new virus, what we think we know about it could be wrong, or it could change. The only way to combat its spread therefore is paying attention to hand washing etc and isolating yourself if you have symptoms.