• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the original dalry llama

• frankblack

• tedarmy

• Costanza

I'm not going, because of a fixture clash, but Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve are doing a UK and Ireland tour next September. It's all the usual single dates, although AFAIK the set lists will vary a lot - but they're finishing with a four-night run in Vicar Street in Dublin, in which they'll do 100 songs over the course of the four nights (Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday).

Elvis' voice is even rougher than it used to be, but if you're a fan...

https://www.classicpopmag.com/2023/12/elvis-costello-and-steve-nieve-announce-2024-uk-and-ireland-tour/

They're not playing Edinburgh  but they're in Glasgow on September 5th.

9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I'm not going, because of a fixture clash, but Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve are doing a UK and Ireland tour next September. It's all the usual single dates, although AFAIK the set lists will vary a lot - but they're finishing with a four-night run in Vicar Street in Dublin, in which they'll do 100 songs over the course of the four nights (Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday).

Elvis' voice is even rougher than it used to be, but if you're a fan...

https://www.classicpopmag.com/2023/12/elvis-costello-and-steve-nieve-announce-2024-uk-and-ireland-tour/

They're not playing Edinburgh  but they're in Glasgow on September 5th.

I saw him in the 80’s when he got back together with the original band and they had the wheel of songs onstage. Members of the audience were invited onstage to spin the wheel to decide what the band played next to a different song list every night. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I saw him in the 80’s when he got back together with the original band and they had the wheel of songs onstage. Members of the audience were invited onstage to spin the wheel to decide what the band played next to a different song list every night. 

Jaysus. Improv rock and roll. 🎶

4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Jaysus. Improv rock and roll. 🎶

I remember seeing Rory Gallagher once and he asked the audience what they fancied hearing next as he got bored sticking with the set list. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I remember seeing Rory Gallagher once and he asked the audience what they fancied hearing next as he got bored sticking with the set list. 

I saw Nick Cave a couple if years ago and it was just him and a grand piano. He was on stage for about 3 hours and all he did was take requests and answer questions from the crowd so no set list and no questions of limits.

His solo piano versions were unbelievable. So much talent.

8 hours ago, Costanza said:

Just bought tickets for a gig but what fresh ticketmaster hell is this?!

Absolute rip off merchants :laugh2:

Screenshot_20231215_120028_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fair enough I’d say if you’re the type that collects tickets of gigs you’ve been to. I had a big pinboard of them in the house when I was a youngster. Wish I still had some of them. 
Also if you buy a ticket for Tynecastle and pay for the 1st class delivery to your house you still get sent an electronic one you can put in the wallet on your phone to use on the day. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Fair enough I’d say if you’re the type that collects tickets of gigs you’ve been to. I had a big pinboard of them in the house when I was a youngster. Wish I still had some of them. 
Also if you buy a ticket for Tynecastle and pay for the 1st class delivery to your house you still get sent an electronic one you can put in the wallet on your phone to use on the day. 

£3 though? I used to have a pinboard as well and now literally and likely appropriately given my first sentence, have all my tickets in a shortbread tin. The mark up on tickets is so high they could surely just give you a downloadable 'paper copy' for free for folk who wanted them. I'm now just writing on paper any gigs I've been to with no paper ticket and adding to my tin :laugh2:

The new West End
On 11/12/2023 at 21:56, Tazio said:

Spinning Songbook tour I think

Placid Casual
On 10/12/2023 at 19:33, Heart of Darkness said:

Joy Division tribute band, Voodoo Rooms next Sunday. 😎

Thought this was great last night, really enjoyed it.

Heart of Darkness
32 minutes ago, Placid Casual said:

Thought this was great last night, really enjoyed it.

Agreed, it was a cracking gig in one of the most beautiful venues. 

The band were really good and they didn't hang about between songs so we got our money's worth, but I thought the singer was sometimes just going through the motions and not showing any of Curtis's emotions. I went to see the Doors Alive a couple of weeks ago and you could have been watching Jim himself as the singer put so much into it!! 👍

On 16/12/2023 at 13:32, Costanza said:

Just bought tickets for a gig but what fresh ticketmaster hell is this?!

Absolute rip off merchants :laugh2:

Screenshot_20231215_120028_Samsung Internet.jpg

Poor souls need the money.

I made the error of buying a commemorative card & lanyard for a hydro gig.

Human League were playing all of Dare and it's one of my formative albums so I thought a laminated card with the album cover and tour date on it would be a nice keepsake.

What turns up? Basically an advert for the Hydro with the gig time inked on it, with the line "gie it laldy" in neon font.

🤮

2 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

The band were really good and they didn't hang about between songs so we got our money's worth, but I thought the singer was sometimes just going through the motions and not showing any of Curtis's emotions. I went to see the Doors Alive a couple of weeks ago and you could have been watching Jim himself as the singer put so much into it!! 👍

Thought they were excellent as well. Insight was tremendous.

To be fair to the singer he was having to do the job of both Curtis and Sumner!

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Poor souls need the money.

I made the error of buying a commemorative card & lanyard for a hydro gig.

Human League were playing all of Dare and it's one of my formative albums so I thought a laminated card with the album cover and tour date on it would be a nice keepsake.

What turns up? Basically an advert for the Hydro with the gig time inked on it, with the line "gie it laldy" in neon font.

🤮

Gie it lady? FFS that's bad and massively out of place for a record like Dare

Heart of Darkness
1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Thought they were excellent as well. Insight was tremendous.

To be fair to the singer he was having to do the job of both Curtis and Sumner!

Good point regarding C & S 🫡

Placid Casual
On 18/12/2023 at 12:13, Heart of Darkness said:

I need to see The Doors Alive. Heard they are very good. Think they’ve been to Edinburgh a few times now but I’ve always had something else on.

Heart of Darkness
8 hours ago, Placid Casual said:

I need to see The Doors Alive. Heard they are very good. Think they’ve been to Edinburgh a few times now but I’ve always had something else on.

They are brilliant, this is the 2nd time I've seen them with the 1st time being years ago. The lead singer does poetry and stories between songs - the whole JM stuff but it doesn't look out of place. 👍

The new West End
On 28/12/2023 at 16:29, tedarmy said:

really great:drummer:

wattie was on fine form slagging celtic and h1b5. :thumbsup:

really busy too

Sadly couldn't make it

Glad it was busy as sales were sluggish

Shanks said no
On 22/12/2023 at 11:28, tedarmy said:

in edinburgh tonight

382707359_770866711715922_3538538904786119513_n.jpg

Only saw the advert when I was at Bad Manners last nught, I really need to pay more attention

• 2 weeks later...

Can I give away my pair of Depeche Mode tickets at Londons O2. I'm not going to make the gig on 27th of this month. I've not been emailed them yet and looking at ticketmaster transfer is not available. 

Edited by Marvin

milky_26
3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Can I give away my pair of Depeche Mode tickets at Londons O2. I'm not going to make the gig on 27th of this month. I've not been emailed them yet and looking at ticketmaster transfer is not available. 

are you sure you cant transfer them through the ticketmaster app?

https://help.ticketmaster.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/16967246842641-How-do-I-transfer-tickets-

milky_26
1 minute ago, Marvin said:

It's not available atm. First thing I checked.

it might not become available until you get the tickets

Just now, milky_26 said:

it might not become available until you get the tickets

Probably. 

Dirty Deeds
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

rather than start a new thread Magnum who cancelled their 2024 tour in December due to guitarist Tony Clarkin being diagnosed with a rare spinal condition have announced Tony Clarkin has died aged 77.

https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/news/rock-news/magnum-tony-clarkin-dead/

A real shame, great band who produced great records right to the end. 

Blue Tango is an absolute belter

https://youtu.be/6buXeiFVOVE?si=l9jE0ewe0WW9X3_0

frankblack
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

i was going to get tickets to their tour this year but for some reason held off

They had already cancelled the tour because of his health.

Saw them on the Wings of Heaven tour then a few years before lockdown.

I don't book tickets for the SW3 venue as I am not sure of getting back for last train.

RIP Tony. ☹️

Saw magnum at the Edinburgh playhouse a couple of times and at a festival in Cumbria. Always good live. 

Dawnrazor
12 minutes ago, the original dalry llama said:

First 'away' gig of the year. 

Screenshot_20240113_111309_Chrome.jpg

It's a good venue, I've been quite a few times.

the original dalry llama
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's a good venue, I've been quite a few times.

Only my second visit - I saw Rosalie Cunningham and Bodega here on consecutive nights in 2022. 

The new West End

Will probably go to The Filthy. Tounges at Cab Vol

Vastly under rated band

the original dalry llama

Thing are picking up again so gig levels are returning to normal this week:
Monday - Mary Ocher / Post Coal Prom Queen / Carla J. Easton at the Rum Shack
Saturday - Adwaith at CCA 
Sunday afternoon - The Wife Guys of Reddit / Serious Adults / Wee Sara and the Texans / Sarah Gallagher / SheBeat at Leith Depot
Sunday evening - Nadine Shah at the Assembly Rooms