""IF"" we go down don't blame Stendel.....

Section Q

Not down yet, seems everyone is blaming managers , players most take a large chunk of any blame handed out, still should be good enough to finish above Hamilton st mirren and Ross county not matter who picks the team

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• GinRummy

• McCrae

• Vlad Magic

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Yes but Davy implies we should give our managers 3 years because CL got 3 years.

You get till your team crosses the white line. The other relegation teams aren’t going to sit and wait for us to get up to speed ...

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

All I said was 3 results were acceptable not 1 as you suggested. 

Overall his results have not been acceptable. 
the flood the pitch with 5 strikers and chasing a game isn’t sustainable or acceptable.. 

the exact opposite of Levein but at the moment the same outcome 

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

In 2013/2014 Hearts were relegated with the following record after 38 games:

W 10

D 8

L 20

F 45

A 65

Currently after 25 games, it is:

W 3

D 9

L 13

F 25

A 42

Hearts are going down, unless other teams trip up.

Boom...canonball for all the ostrich impersonators who think the big escape act starts tomm, every week.

Brighton Jambo
9 hours ago, LeylandJambo said:

I honestly believe we're getting relegated this season. 

I didn’t till last night now I do.

I am right behind Stendel but if he keeps picking the wrong players and the wrong team then he deserves blame and should go if we get relegated.  

last night to have Moore and Henderson in crucial relegation game was just wrong with the talent we had on the bench.  Also to persevere with the keeper is wrong.  

no problem if next game he learns from his mistakes as it’s early days and he’s getting to know the players but if he doesn’t and we go down he should be gone.  

For those saying he should be sacked “IF” we get relegated.

Have you short memories?

Who would replace him?

We have been through this process twice in recent years and I for the life of me can’t remember a better candidate. Please enlighten me If there was/is one?

Stendel has taken a personal gamble coming to us. Persuaded by the backing of our CEO and the opportunity to manage a club steeped in history currently on its arse and in need of attention.

He is almost certainly paid well for his services however we should not take him for granted.

We need stability and he provides this. We need unity and we can provide that also. We need sit stop this bullshit about sacking a manager just through the doors who is attempting to perform near miracles and keep us in the top tier of Scottish football.

He’s inherited a shit fest and is attempting to stabilise things FFS!!!

Going down is something no one wants but was/is a real possibility even before he took the job. No manager should be criticised taking all the above into consideration. 

He is trying his best under the most difficult of circumstances.

He deserves our unequivocal support.

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

Have you short memories?

Who would replace him?

We have been through this process twice in recent years and I for the life of me can’t remember a better candidate. Please enlighten me If there was/is one?

Stendel has taken a personal gamble coming to us. Persuaded by the backing of our CEO and the opportunity to manage a club steeped in history currently on its arse and in need of attention.

He is almost certainly paid well for his services however we should not take him for granted.

We need stability and he provides this. We need unity and we can provide that also. We need sit stop this bullshit about sacking a manager just through the doors who is attempting to perform near miracles and keep us in the top tier of Scottish football.

Going down is something no one wants but was/is a real possibility even before he took the job. No manager should be criticised taking all the above into consideration. 

Gets our full support ...

He fails, we are relegated, he goes.

15 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Overall his results have not been acceptable. 
the flood the pitch with 5 strikers and chasing a game isn’t sustainable or acceptable.. 

the exact opposite of Levein but at the moment the same outcome 

Yep. Results need to improve. He started badly, had improved a bit and needs to sort out the defence and push us on. We need that 10th spot. 

Stendel hasn't been afraid of big decisions in terms of jettisoning players. 

I hope he's equally as brave as being pragmatic in his tactics and ensuring we are more solid and stop giving away daft goals.

That means changing the keeper and defence (said on Michael Smith thread he should play 3 at the back with Smith sweeping).

The style of play can be worked on and honed in pre season and with a summer transfer window. 

The only objective right now is to win games and stay up.

We have the players in the squad to do that and if we don't then Stendel is massively culpable. 

Massive perspective needed here. Do people not realise how big a mess this was? 

Stendel has been in the job 2 months as of  tomorrow and everyone thinks things should be massively different. 

He has had one transfer window, January is notoriously difficult and add the fact that he had to remove players before getting more in. 

Give him his time. 

Edited by Mort

14 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Gets our full support ...

He fails, we are relegated, he goes.

And back to square one again.

Absolutely disgusting attitude. 

Fortunately we have in Ann Budge a CEO who sees pictures bigger than those on the back of a stamp.

Stendel will have the full support of the board even if we go down.

Toxteth O'Grady
4 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Fortunately we have in Ann Budge a CEO who sees pictures bigger than those on the back of a stamp.

Stendel will have the full support of the board even if we go down.

Ann doesn’t give a shit about footballing results as long as the money is coming in 

1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Ann doesn’t give a shit about footballing results as long as the money is coming in 

I think you are wrong.

2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Ok as long as she doesn’t get too much hassle either 

Will file this one under the same heading as your previous contribution to the thread.

Toxteth O'Grady
3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Will file this one under the same heading as your previous contribution to the thread.

Go for it. Look at our league placings in the last 3 seasons and convince yourself she is focused on football results 

2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Go for it. Look at our league placings in the last 3 seasons and convince yourself she is focused on football results 

It’s not me that needs convincing sunshine 👍

30 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

And back to square one again.

Absolutely disgusting attitude. 

Relegation would be a total disaster and completely unacceptable and would come with lasting consequences. 
The attitude is based on facts and expected accountability. 
For the record, I don’t think this will happen  although we need an improvement from his team for it not too. 

7 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Relegation would be a total disaster and completely unacceptable and would come with lasting consequences. 
The attitude is based on facts and expected accountability. 
For the record, I don’t think this will happen  although we need an improvement from his team for it not too. 

Agree 100% so what positive would changing a good manager have should the above happen?

We would be back to square one again.

The unacceptable part should not fall on Stendels shoulders baring in mind when he joined and the situation he joined under.

2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Agree 100% so what positive would changing a good manager have should the above happen?

We would be back to square one again.

The unacceptable part should not fall on Stendels shoulders baring in mind when he joined and the situation he joined under.

In your world having a full transfer window (to move players in/out) half a season and the 4th biggest budget against teams on virtually amateur wages isn’t long enough to prove himself. I am stunned, are you on the wind up ?
Again, I expect us to stay up at a minimum .. reality is Stendels results and his team will need to improve to achieve this.

8 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

In your world having a full transfer window (to move players in/out) half a season and the 4th biggest budget against teams on virtually amateur wages isn’t long enough to prove himself. I am stunned, are you on the wind up ?
Again, I expect us to stay up at a minimum .. reality is Stendels results and his team will need to improve to achieve this.

You didn’t answer the question.

Guest ToqueJambo

The blame for going down will IMO lie with 1) injuries and the slide in form that led to 2 ) Levein's failure to cope with them and possible mismanagement of them and 3 ) Stendel playing the same kamikaze attacking system over and over (if that's what he ends up doing) d ) the goalie - also Levein's responsibility but Stendel didn't prioritise it. 

Stendel is doing his best and I want him to stay but I can't help thinking telling the opposition how he's going to play and sticking to that every week is making it harder to win games. He's massively improved our attacking play mind you. New goalie urgently needed though. No wonder we were after Gordon.

For those still repeatedly dismissing our injuries as insignificant or an excuse, this is interesting from Mourhino talking about missing players at Spurs. His issues are not as bad as ours have been and he has zillions of pounds to rectify it: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/06/jose-mourinho-tottenham-problems

I wish we'd seen some analysis in Scotland on how we could have been affected by injuries, but what's also interesting about the article is Mourihno still talks up his team and does a better job than Levein did of addressing the effect of the injuries. He is also one of the world's best managers which helps, but it shows how it affects a team's form. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

You didn’t answer the question.

I did... you want me to tell you something about what good it would do and how damaging it wouldn’t be and  it’s not his fault back to square one ... blah blah blah 

If you fail as a manager you are out ... end off - anything else is back to the Levein situation of complete unaccountability 

1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

I did... you want me to tell you something about what good it would do and how damaging it wouldn’t be and  it’s not his fault back to square one ... blah blah blah 

If you fail as a manager you are out ... end off - anything else is back to the Levein situation of complete unaccountability 

You didn’t but thanks for the surmise.

If we are relegated Stendel will not have failed as a manager.

I think you need to get used to the truth.

5 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

You didn’t but thanks for the surmise.

If we are relegated Stendel will not have failed as a manager.

I think you need to get used to the truth.

Ok he will be a success and we will make up songs about him ..

we are not going to agree so let’s stop this as it is pointless. 
no hard feelings but I don’t agree. 

Just now, jambomjm74 said:

Ok he will be a success and we will make up songs about him ..

we are not going to agree so let’s stop this as it is pointless. 
no hard feelings but I don’t agree. 

Flippant but not unexpected.

4 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Get stuffed ... 

I don’t know if he will keep us up. I don’t know if he will get us relegated. I don’t, you don’t, no one does.

What we know is this.

He came through an interview process as our number 1 target. Someone our CEO was prepared to fight tooth and nail for to get. Someone who is hugely regarded by the support of his previous club ( we have Barnsley supporters on here confirming this fact), has galvanised the support on here almost without exception down to attitude, players, style of play, goals scored and his unique never give up personality.

Yet you would get rid if we go down?

I suggest politely that you get stuffed.

2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Have you short memories?

Who would replace him?

I would suggest that Hearts have taken a huge gamble on this manager.

Stendel was out of work he had nothing to lose by taking the Hearts job, not a gamble  by him. 

However I would agree he is a gambler, tactics, released players, new signings, approach to matches etc he seems to be an all or nothing person. 

Let’s hope he is placing the correct bets otherwise we all lose!

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Have you short memories?

Who would replace him?

Near miracles? We are hearts, we had a transfer window. We had a winter break.

His social media is of no interest to me.

Last 2 opposition mgrs have left him lying on the canvas.

Less drama and more substance is what im after.

Personally I love the attacking football but we need to be a bit smarter in doing so. 

I also think we will stay up by the skin of our teeth winning the play off. 

Levein and Budge are at fault for position HHGH are in just now if we do get relegated it is them to blame.

Stendel needs help with the players we have are trying to adopt his style of play.

The last two games we played St Johnston and Kilmarnock Hearts needed to win these games a draw and a lose at home have us in stronge position for relegation.

I found it interesting that there was no new manager bounce, certainly in terms of results. It took until the Aberdeen game for us to see the first glimmer of hope, although I thought we did not too badly against Celtic. This makes me think that things were even worse than we had suspected with regard to morale, the state of the squad, the dreadful style of play he inherited and the colossal level of complacency which has brought the club to where it is right now. It’s a root and branch job.

That said, Stendel needs to learn, and quickly, that you can’t start a game with a midfield of non-existent physicality against teams like Killie. He also needs to consign our current keeper to history. Maybe Wednesday was just a blip in an otherwise improved run of results and we’ll continue to kick on. I like him. I think he’s almost universally liked. But he’s here to do a job, and we all know what that is. We’re not a project. If he doesn’t do the job, he shares the blame. That seems reasonable.

Guest ToqueJambo
37 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Near miracles? We are hearts, we had a transfer window. We had a winter break.

His social media is of no interest to me.

Last 2 opposition mgrs have left him lying on the canvas.

Less drama and more substance is what im after.

You just described Robbie Neilson's time with us to a tee.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I would suggest that Hearts have taken a huge gamble on this manager.

Stendel was out of work he had nothing to lose by taking the Hearts job, not a gamble  by him. 

However I would agree he is a gambler, tactics, released players, new signings, approach to matches etc he seems to be an all or nothing person. 

Let’s hope he is placing the correct bets otherwise we all lose!

I think calling him a gambler is a bit ott.   He didnt get rid of anyone when he came to Barnsley , it seems that there were certain players that were causing a negative mood/attitude within your team so not a gamble to get rid of them? Yes he likes attacking play, he doesn't want players to be afraid of having the ball. I think the problem is when the players dont have the ability but he will work hard with them in training to improve them if they are willing to put the effort in. 

I think you have a point about nothing to lose coming to Hearts but dont underestimate what he did last season as a new manager to English football. Jack Ross only got Sunderland to 5th despite still having Premiership players amongst his team.

Anyway time will tell.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

I think calling him a gambler is a bit ott.   He didnt get rid of anyone when he came to Barnsley , it seems that there were certain players that were causing a negative mood/attitude within your team so not a gamble to get rid of them? Yes he likes attacking play, he doesn't want players to be afraid of having the ball. I think the problem is when the players dont have the ability but he will work hard with them in training to improve them if they are willing to put the effort in. 

I think you have a point about nothing to lose coming to Hearts but dont underestimate what he did last season as a new manager to English football. Jack Ross only got Sunderland to 5th despite still having Premiership players amongst his team.

Anyway time will tell.

Are you a Barnsley fan? Did Stendel change his tactics at Barnsley or stick to one game plan in every game?

Yes I am and no he didnt but he would make substitutions like putting more strength  in midfield . He would never put 10 men behind the ball, it just isnt the way he plays. Having said that we coped with the long ball merchants,  yes there were matches where opposition stifled us but there were way more where we outplayed them . Its the same as asking a long ball merchant to suddenly start playing attacking passing football from the back. 

We are in very similar positions but the plus side for you is your only 1 point from possible safety and 4 from actual safety whereas the gap for us is 7! I'm resigned to going down really but I think we ll keep our manager on and see how he performs in league 1, we have the opposite problem to you that in 3 years we'll have had 4 managers ( 5 if you count caretakers) 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

Yes I am and no he didnt but he would make substitutions like putting more strength  in midfield . He would never put 10 men behind the ball, it just isnt the way he plays. Having said that we coped with the long ball merchants,  yes there were matches where opposition stifled us but there were way more where we outplayed them . Its the same as asking a long ball merchant to suddenly start playing attacking passing football from the back. 

We are in very similar positions but the plus side for you is your only 1 point from possible safety and 4 from actual safety whereas the gap for us is 7! I'm resigned to going down really but I think we ll keep our manager on and see how he performs in league 1, we have the opposite problem to you that in 3 years we'll have had 4 managers ( 5 if you count caretakers) 

I don't think we'll get relegated but it is a worry that opposing managers have figured out how to combat Stendel's game plan already, unless this is part of a master plan to make them think he always plays one way then he suddenly changes it. The problem Stendel is no doubt realising is most Scottish teams have zero interest in playing any football at all. They are more than happy to shell the ball up to runners for the whole game if they think they can win that way.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't think we'll get relegated but it is a worry that opposing managers have figured out how to combat Stendel's game plan already, unless this is part of a master plan to make them think he always plays one way then he suddenly changes it. The problem Stendel is no doubt realising is most Scottish teams have zero interest in playing any football at all. They are more than happy to shell the ball up to runners for the whole game if they think they can win that way.

He can combat that but the players do need to win the ball  That's the whole thing with the press, every player has to win it back high up the pitch.  I think going that goal up and gathering momentum may ge key with you, the crowd won't be on their backs and heads wont go down. But you're fighting back in matches which must be a good thing. Looking at the goals I agree your goal keeper is a worry.  But Stendel would trust Sievers to identify the best one of what you have. 

I'm not saying hes the messiah but he's the second best we've had at Oakwell and in terms of personality alone I'd say the best. He's ambitious so I think he will figure it out .

23 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

He can combat that but the players do need to win the ball  That's the whole thing with the press, every player has to win it back high up the pitch.  I think going that goal up and gathering momentum may ge key with you, the crowd won't be on their backs and heads wont go down. But you're fighting back in matches which must be a good thing. Looking at the goals I agree your goal keeper is a worry.  But Stendel would trust Sievers to identify the best one of what you have. 

I'm not saying hes the messiah but he's the second best we've had at Oakwell and in terms of personality alone I'd say the best. He's ambitious so I think he will figure it out .

Give Stendel 2 years minimum he will turn this team around and get us back in top 3 easy.

4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Have you short memories?

Who would replace him?

Yes that is a brilliant post we gotta back him and watch us go next season. 

As for all Hearts managers he has my support. His job is to get us above St Mirren and Hamilton with the resources he now has. That's success 

25 minutes ago, skodef said:

Give Stendel 2 years minimum he will turn this team around and get us back in top 3 easy.

Which division? ;)

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

As for all Hearts managers he has my support. His job is to get us above St Mirren and Hamilton with the resources he now has. That's success 

Would you accept victory in the play-offs?

8 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I’ll blame you. None of us had heard of him until your thread 😂

Bizarre as it sounds, I do feel slightly responsible! However you would like to think that the club were thorough and did their due diligence etc...... surely!?

Still fully in support of DS but I've definitely got concerns.

I can't get my head around persisting with Pereira for the Killie game. Absolutely crazy.

He also signed Donis and we've barely seen him. Surely he's got more to offer than Moore? Surely Meshino has more to offer than Henderson?

I know that we'll be a better when our proper full backs return and also Sibbick's energy and aggression will improve us. 

I think we should be going with experience right now so Irving, Moore and Henderson may just have to be patient. Even Walker might be a better option right now. We have the players to get out of this shit but we're not using them due to injury and poor team selection.

If we go down and we are comparing individuals input and their own contribution to potentially relegating us then, for me, CL is mostly to blame and AB has made a huge huge mistake in delaying her ultimate decision 

That said I support her ultimate decision. I never thought it would be immediate with Stendel but thought given time that when the players get up to speed with what he is trying to do we would be a side that would be flying 

At the end of the day that hasn’t happened yet for whatever reason but I still fully back him to the hilt. No one can say that there hasn’t been a remarkable transformation under Stendel in the way that we play forward and now create/score goals. We are a different side in that sense 

However, the reality is that we are sweet pickings at the back and Stendel needs to sort the defence imminently as even I can see that this could potentially put us out of the division.

Obviously if we do go down Stendel needs to take some responsibility for this. That said if he gets as long as Levein did there is still no doubt in my mind that we would be in a much better place than we were December last year 

However my own personal ire still rests with Levein and what he has done. Not trying to provoke reaction but 5 years down the line and thousands and thousands of pounds wasted under his tenure we found ourselves staring relegation in the face. That fact will always be attributed to him regardless of what happens now 

Edited by Hearts1975

vlad on the tyne

Although we have some good individual players, our league position and form proves we are the worst team in this league. There needs to be a drastic change in our form to get out of this mess and after the latest Kilmarnock shambles, I ain't so sure we can do it. 

pettigrewsstylist
8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You just described Robbie Neilson's time with us to a tee.

Forward son, look forward. This is about this season.