""IF"" we go down don't blame Stendel.....

Section Q

I hope Stendel manages to turn us around, I really do. I think he will, but that is probably more based on optimism than anything else. He has improved us greatly in some aspects, such as the way our attackers move/make runs/take up positions. Defensively though we are all over the place, and its proper harum scarum stuff.

Not comfortable with just absolving him of any blame for the results of a relegation battle that we are still right in the midsts of, and that still has about three months left to run, though. That is just crazy. Every single Hearts supporter wants the man to do well, but let's wait and see what happens first, eh?

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• GinRummy

• McCrae

• Vlad Magic

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We were closer to safety and not even bottom when Stendel came in so not sure your first points are valid. 

This "make shift squad" also  has more key players back and 4 of his own signings. 

All Stendel has to do is better Hamilton and/ or St mirrens results over 22 games. 

Any manager not doing that will have failed imo. 

Stendel  is the best long term manager for us, but the jury is out if he is that in the short term for us, relegation would be a failure on his part as he'd have failed to better the points total of Hamilton and the likes, the very thing CL got removed for. 

Absolutely this!

Ex member of the SaS

Still can't get my head around the support Levein had, yet Stendel is being castigated after a couple of months. Not saying I have blind faith, as results are what makes the season, but give the guy a fair shout. There are a number of circumstances that have led to this, first off Levein's signings, then Budge's refusal to see the obvious, add to that the time taken to get Stendel in, means we have a hard long struggle. The bad news is we don't have much time. The players have to take some responsibility, as they are the ones missing easy passes and not taking shots at goal. If they had any pride they would be getting stuck in and winning the ball back in the oppositions half, something sadly missing just now and a big part of Stendel's game plan.

Step up or ship out, should be the changing room mantra.

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Still can't get my head around the support Levein had, yet Stendel is being castigated after a couple of months. Not saying I have blind faith, as results are what makes the season, but give the guy a fair shout. There are a number of circumstances that have led to this, first off Levein's signings, then Budge's refusal to see the obvious, add to that the time taken to get Stendel in, means we have a hard long struggle. The bad news is we don't have much time. The players have to take some responsibility, as they are the ones missing easy passes and not taking shots at goal. If they had any pride they would be getting stuck in and winning the ball back in the oppositions half, something sadly missing just now and a big part of Stendel's game plan.

This is just simply not true though. He's hardly being castigated, is he? Generally I have noticed the fans being very patient with him, despite results not being great. This is down to a general acceptance that the position he has walked in to is a difficult one. There was one absolutely fruit loops thread about him being another Cathro, but the vast majority of replies on said thread were calling bullshit on the OP. Other than that thread, I can't think of many people castigating the man. We can't just start turning around and saying "oh well, it doesn't matter if we get relegated" though. We are in a wee mini-league with St Mirren and Hamilton now imo, and we have the greater resources by far. Now we all need to pull together and back the team and the manager/coaches in the hope that we top that mini-league, but if we do not, and we get relegated, then I'm sorry, but part of that will be on Stendel.

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Not sure why people think DS is long term answer. It’s based on nada. If he can’t keep us up he will have been out thought and done much worse than the likes of Goodwin, Rice and Tommy Wright who all have worse squads and less resources. 

That is not an endorsement of his qualities, quite the opposite!

If he can’t keep us up, I’m not sure why people think he’d bring us up. 

We need to start judging people on results instead of continually making excuses for abject failure. That is one of the reasons we find ourselves in the mess we do. 

I like his philosophy and style.

It's not his team, but he has added 4 players and we have a squad that must do better than Hamilton and the likes.

I agree if we go down, he would have failed imo.

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Levein had some credit due to his history with us, he also improved us in the cups and despite poor finishes, we never fell below a 6th final league placing.

Stendel has nothing in the bank with our fans.

I don't think anyone is castigating him just now ( one or two idiots maybe), some are saying if we are relegated then he would have failed.

You say give the guy a fair shout- surely 22 games  to match Hamilton's results at the very least is just that?

No one will be upset if we don't charge up the table but if we end up bottom questions must be asked.

Ex member of the SaS

Ok Levein had us sixth twice when the club had a minimum of fourth as a target yet he still has a couple who can't see out his ars , they are so far up there they need a pit helmet. There is also the negative aspect that he is still hanging around the club. The players are trying Stendel's methods but still have Levein sulking around in the background. OK maybe publicly Stendel claims it's not a problem, but surely any right minded person wouldn't want the old boss hanging around like a bad smell. How many of these players would like Stendel to fail just to get Levein back ( even as a temp manager ). Not saying they are deliberately playing poorly but maybe not trying just too hard.

Personally think we and Stendel will struggle until Levein has gone for good.

Whilst the influences of the old regime still linger long and deep within Tynecastle nobody will ever know if Daniel Stendel is the right man for the job and for this Anne Budge is solely responsible. She had the opportunity to erase the Levein era from our minds however chose some bizarre path which was her attempt to be seen to be doing the right thing.

Bizarreness knows no limits in Gorgie. We've had several seasons of it, with mystery never seen before injuries, a relentless stream of injured players, untold amount of useless players being bought by the club ,long term contracts flung about like confetti, good players leaving or being dropped and now to add further to it we have a Man United understudy goalkeeper who appears to dive out of the way of oncoming shots being backed by our new management team.

It happens 99% of the time in football after a managerial sacking, the new manager bounce , hey but not at bizarre Tynecastle.

We end up getting beaten to our closest rivals no new manager bounce!Time and again posters proclaim- when the manager has his own team, when the new guys settle in, when the players adapt to his tactics, the last few games suggest to me that Stendels mind and voice aren't the most important things  to the players of HMFC if this is so safety certainly looks precarious.

The influence of the previous regime irrespective of who it was should be discarded immediately. Only if this had been successful then should those remain at the club, ultimately its like building a new house on rotten foundations and expecting it to be strong and secure. It makes no sense to have the influences which presided over the mess to still influence the present goings on. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Levein had some credit due to his history with us, he also improved us in the cups and despite poor finishes, we never fell below a 6th final league placing.

Stendel has nothing in the bank with our fans.

I don't think anyone is castigating him just now ( one or two idiots maybe), some are saying if we are relegated then he would have failed.

You say give the guy a fair shout- surely 22 games  to match Hamilton's results at the very least is just that?

No one will be upset if we don't charge up the table but if we end up bottom questions must be asked.

I think questions should be asked but it is easy to end up with manager after manager if you fail to look closely enough at other possible problems. And then you have the problem of having to get rid of the previous managers players when a new manager wants to have his own. It can be a costly, vicious circle. 

4 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok Levein had us sixth twice when the club had a minimum of fourth as a target yet he still has a couple who can't see out his ars , they are so far up there they need a pit helmet. There is also the negative aspect that he is still hanging around the club. The players are trying Stendel's methods but still have Levein sulking around in the background. OK maybe publicly Stendel claims it's not a problem, but surely any right minded person wouldn't want the old boss hanging around like a bad smell. How many of these players would like Stendel to fail just to get Levein back ( even as a temp manager ). Not saying they are deliberately playing poorly but maybe not trying just too hard.

Levein was criticised way more heavily than Stendel is though, and rightly so once it became clear he was not capable of turning it around. Nobody is "up his arse".

The bit about him interfering with Stendel's plans is just rampant supposition with zero evidence to support the claim.

I think you and a few others are just desperate to have him take the blame for any current and future failings or shortcomings, because we are pinning all our hopes on Stendel, and we can't afford for him to not turn it around.

If Stendel fails to finish above eleventh from this point on, he takes a portion of the blame for that. You can't just absolve him of all responsibility and blame Levein for everything from this moment onwards.

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Levein was criticised way more heavily than Stendel is though, and rightly so once it became clear he was not capable of turning it around. Nobody is "up his arse".

The bit about him interfering with Stendel's plans is just rampant supposition with zero evidence to support the claim.

I think you and a few others are just desperate to have him take the blame for any current and future failings or shortcomings, because we are pinning all our hopes on Stendel, and we can't afford for him to not turn it around.

If Stendel fails to finish above eleventh from this point on, he takes a portion of the blame for that. You can't just absolve him of all responsibility and blame Levein for everything from this moment onwards.

Never once have I suggested he would be without blame should we fail to stay up. I would not want rid should we fail and I do believe he needs time ( and more than one window. ( remember the number of times that was said for Levein ) . For me the players have to take most of the blame as they are meant to be professionals yet fail time and again to do the simple things ( like make a pass ) 

8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Never once have I suggested he would be without blame should we fail to stay up. I would not want rid should we fail and I do believe he needs time ( and more than one window. ( remember the number of times that was said for Levein ) . For me the players have to take most of the blame as they are meant to be professionals yet fail time and again to do the simple things ( like make a pass ) 

The OP suggests he would not be to blame though. Clearly if he doesn't amass enough points between now and May he will be due a portion of blame. Fair enough you aren't saying he would be blameless, and acknowledge that part of the blame should be aportioned to him and his team. It's becoming increasingly clear however, that there are those in the support who are just going to blame Levein for everything, whether it's down to him or not. The players absolutely have to carry the can for this too though, hopefully most of the ones who let us slide in to this malaise over the tenure of three different managers (including interim ones) have now been emptied, but results are not good at the moment, and we need to identify why that is and change that. It's the defence for me, but I'm not a manager and I'm not a Poundland Pep who thinks he can do the job of one, I can just voice my opinions, whilst understanding there is a hell of a lot more that goes on that I don't see. Our defence (goalkeeper is part of the defensive unit) is costing us points just now though. There's no getting away from that undeniable fact, and it's up to Stendel to address that, if he isn't capable of doing that, then he has to carry the can for his failings.

I think he will address this though, and I think we will survive. In the summer he will be able to bring in players that allow him to play the game the way that he prefers, and then results will be pretty much entirely down to him. Hopefully that means we spend next season heaping praise upon him for turning this round 180 degrees and building a winning team. At the moment however, that is on the back burner. His number one and in fact only priority, is to overhaul St Mirren and Hamilton and keep us in the top flight.

Governor Tarkin

7 pages of bickering over a statement that's neither useful nor meaningful.

Blame and responsibility are not necessarily interchangeable.

It would be wrong blame Stendel for us going down, but he'd take a share of the responsibility for failing to keep us up.

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

The ex SAS man 🤣🤣🤣 shoots ...... and misses.

On 10/02/2020 at 09:39, Smith's right boot said:

We were closer to safety and not even bottom when Stendel came in so not sure your first points are valid. 

This "make shift squad" also  has more key players back and 4 of his own signings. 

All Stendel has to do is better Hamilton and/ or St mirrens results over 22 games. 

Any manager not doing that will have failed imo. 

Stendel  is the best long term manager for us, but the jury is out if he is that in the short term for us, relegation would be a failure on his part as he'd have failed to better the points total of Hamilton and the likes, the very thing CL got removed for. 

It's a makeshift squad in the sense that it's made up of players that aren't his and the players he could agree to get in janaury when we're sitting at the tail end of the league.  If the chat is correct then Stendel was toiling to convince his first choices to come here, regardless january is a very tough window to try and completely reshape a team and he is making do with what he could claw together.  The summer will be a far better indication of what his team will look like, although i think some of the players he's brought in so far have impressed like Boyce and Sibbick. 

If Stendel wasn't the answer short term who was?  Other candidates were Macphee, Robinson, McCall or McCann.  Who is doing a better job than Stendel to turn it around?  If we get relegated it's not because Stendel is a bad manager, it's because the situation is too difficult to turn round with half a season and 1 january window.

I could sort of sense this coming tbf, we get a new manager and people quickly start to forget the state we were in only a few months prior and the manager starts feeling the pressure from some fans because we're not instantly shooting back up the league.

If we went down and Stendel wasn't on track to get us up on first crack which we know is achievable then i think you can question his managerial ability.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Morph said:

It's a makeshift squad in the sense that it's made up of players that aren't his and the players he could agree to get in janaury when we're sitting at the tail end of the league.  If the chat is correct then Stendel was toiling to convince his first choices to come here, regardless january is a very tough window to try and completely reshape a team and he is making do with what he could claw together.  The summer will be a far better indication of what his team will look like, although i think some of the players he's brought in so far have impressed like Boyce and Sibbick. 

If Stendel wasn't the answer short term who was?  Other candidates were Macphee, Robinson, McCall or McCann.  Who is doing a better job than Stendel to turn it around?  If we get relegated it's not because Stendel is a bad manager, it's because the situation is too difficult to turn round with half a season and 1 january window.

I could sort of sense this coming tbf, we get a new manager and people quickly start to forget the state we were in only a few months prior and the manager starts feeling the pressure from some fans because we're not instantly shooting back up the league.

If we went down and Stendel wasn't on track to get us up on first crack which we know is achievable then i think you can question his managerial ability.

All that is fair to an extent, but his remit isn't to get top 6 or compete with Aberdeen for 3rd right now.

All he has been asked to do is finish above Hamilton.

1 hour ago, Morph said:

You "sensed" it? :lol:

It hardly takes psychic abilities to sense that if a manager struggles to get results, then supporters will start to question him.

Re the opener 

Stendel has now got 13 games to get 1 more point than Hamilton as it stands , forgetting what's happened up till now . 

If he can't deliver that with the squad he has then we as a club would be as well packing in . 

2 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I'm coming home September/October based on our home schedule. I really dont want to see Hearts V Arbroath. Please.

Don't panic.

Yet. 😂

On 11/02/2020 at 20:51, ramrod said:

Re the opener 

Stendel has now got 13 games to get 1 more point than Hamilton as it stands , forgetting what's happened up till now . 

If he can't deliver that with the squad he has then we as a club would be as well packing in . 

If we cant outdo st Mirren and hamilton in the fixtures that are left " they should all pack it in !   

Fozzyonthefence
On 11/02/2020 at 21:53, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I'm coming home September/October based on our home schedule. I really dont want to see Hearts V Arbroath. Please.

No chance, Arbroath will beat us in the play off and take our place.  So could be Montrose or East Fife instead!

It's been the plan all along, Stendel is an imposter, he will fail and get us relegated,  "Don't worry,  We still have Levien to take over and lead us out the championship "...

Happy days, 

I'm deadly serious... 🤔

Feel sorry for him with this squad to be honest.

I think he would have brought a keeper in if one had left as well.

Could be a great style of football but sadly we don’t have the players to implement it properly. 

Diadora Van Basten

If we lose on Saturday Stendel should be sacked.

Three defeats on the bounce with two at Tynecastle is not acceptable.

His record with us is poor one win in the league in ten games.

I hope we win on Saturday but it wouldn’t surprise me if a hungrier Hamilton side using the same tactics us everyone else has take the points. 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No chance, Arbroath will beat us in the play off and take our place.  So could be Montrose or East Fife instead!

Stop it. I’m miserable enough as it is.

Lose on Saturday and the season ends and our experimental German might as well pack his bags. 
The keeper is beyond crap then the non midfield of Irving and Naismith, zonal marking and then finishing games with Cavalry charges after we’ve left the barn door wide open and been caught out. 

I’ve thought about it, is this worse than Leveins turgid mess. Well we have a Full squad and a goal scorer and currently couldn’t buy a win..... (I didn’t expect to beat Celtic but more than we have amassed)
Basically he has the next two games to save Hearts and His season and prove his worth. 
Anything less than positive results and it’s auf weidershen pet.. and he won’t need to wait till May. 

We have some hope, as the two other teams haven’t managed to stretch the gap...but they haven’t played the worst team in the league yet...

Gordon Ramsay

He will be taking a portion of the blame in my book. 

Bottom line is results are still well below standard and he's been here 2 months now. Not good enough. 

Massive pressure if we don't come away with 6 points from our next two games.  Losing to Hamilton is unthinkable/I think would spell the doomsday scenario out for us very very clearly.  Surely we will win.

Gordon Ramsay
8 hours ago, jumpship said:

It's been the plan all along, Stendel is an imposter, he will fail and get us relegated,  "Don't worry,  We still have Levien to take over and lead us out the championship "...

Happy days, 

I'm deadly serious... 🤔

Honestly nothing would shock me with Budge/Levein. 

She views him as the oracle of all things football related. A master of his trade. 

The sooner both of them are gone the better. Masters in failure. 

8 hours ago, Mort said:

Feel sorry for him with this squad to be honest.

I think he would have brought a keeper in if one had left as well.

Could be a great style of football but sadly we don’t have the players to implement it properly. 

You feel sorry for him ? Right now he is getting paid handsomely for not doing his job good enough. 

and these players you slaughter,  the vast majority of the outfield players would walk into the teams round about us and would instantly make them better. 

when we changed manager we were meant to improve, that’s the point of it. DS needs to get his finger out and quickly or we will be relegated. This is on him, he’s had time to assess and change the squad. We need results not shit free flowing football. 

It’s like Levein never left. Such a disappointment so far. Will need to accept a fair share of the blame for our predicament.

My hope, is Stendel will lead us to a comfortable victory on Saturday. 

We will still have a long way to go, but we have (just) enough to avoid relegation.  

F××k me, it's a big game.. 

nathan brittles

The weather forecast for Saturday implies heavy rain and gusting winds. Forget all about tactical theory,the conditions will prevail and determine who gets the lucky breaks.The result may determine our season but, if we lose, you may as well blame the gods !!!

Apologises to DC Thompson, publishers.......

But over the last few months  its gone from Soapy Soutar....  To Desperate Dan.   

Roll on  a Home win on Saturday...

Woven his name into the fabric of the club!!!

MiDlothian

heArt of

midlothiaN 

midlothIan 

hEArt of

midLothian 

HeartS

hearTs

hEart of

midlothiaN 

miDlothian 

hEart of

midLothian

Edited by Jambo-Fox

I'm sorry but Daniel can't even summon a result against the 2nd worst team in the league (after us... 🤬) at Tynecastle playing them for 70 minutes down a man, on top of his one league victory since joining us.  He has been a disastrous appointment.  I thought at the time he was exciting and would give us some drive and dig, but he is trying to play Barcelona tactics with a bunch of utter donkeys and is failing time after time to see his system/methodology does not work at the moment and needs changed.  We are in absolutely desperate times right now and there are still no signs of a change.  We need a reaction now. 

Edited by Uche

Just now, S Form said:

I’m not convinced ‘our’ Daniel knows what he’s doing to be honest. Being schooled by Brian freakin’ Rice is a bit of an embarrassment.

Unfortunately, Stendel is looking more and more clueless as each game passes.

"IF" we go down I want Budge gone, Levein gone, Stendel gone, all assistant coaches gone, and every single imposter who's pulled on a maroon jersey this season all gone gone gone.

A new manager normally results in a performance/results bounce. That hasn't happened, not even close to it, so there's nothing at this point to differentiate him from the rank failure of Cathro, Levein, MacPhail.

Edited by Danny Wilde

Gordon Ramsay

People hanging off his every word cause we started to attack teams? Is that not what football is all about? I could have instructed the players to do that. 

We were in free fall with Levein and we're still in free fall with Stendel.

Just heard him on radios Scotland - I know English isn't his first language but he sounds a right slaverer.  He doesn't even sound convinced by his own tactics right now.

2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Looks like he's a one trick poney and his trick isn't working.

Unfortunately this is where I am.  He doesn't have the personnel to do what he wants to.  So adjust.  Nope.  Square pegs in round holes. 

Still, good fighting draw against 10 man Hamilton.  Whoop de do.