""IF"" we go down don't blame Stendel.....

Section Q

If we are relegated it will surpass other demotions as the most painful.

We have no money worries like before and our attendances could hardly be higher. We have no restrictions on signing players, and we are an attractive club when it comes to recruitment.

Financially the club is a success story, and fan ownership is such an achievement that we have a film production company at every game recording what should/is something for us to proud of.

The buck solely stops with Budge and Levein. Absolute mismanagement on a grand scale. Ok so they did some things right, and I'm sure there will be those on here who are quick, (again), to remind us, but we can't deny it's down to them. It'll be interesting how the final cut of the documentary is edited but hopefully it's warts and all. 

It has nothing to do with Stendel. He arrived, (after much persuasion), on his own, and without his preferred coaching team, only to find his predecessor still around and breathing down his neck. 

Budge has been strangely silent since the new coach arrived. It's like she's waiting for the big moment to arrive, (April by all accounts), when she can preside over the climax of the last five years and fan ownership concludes. 

Our league status will be clearer by then, but if it's Championship football next season, it will be down to her and Levein, and definitely not Stendel.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• GinRummy

• McCrae

• Vlad Magic

Of course Levein has to take the bulk of the blame but I find all this talk of a free pass for Stendel weird. If we go down he will have had half a season and a transfer window to score a couple more points than Hamilton and St Mirren and not done so. He can't possibly be absolved of all responsibility. 

I really like the way Stendel is trying to play, I think it would be really successful once he gets players in who can implement it. However, in a relegation battle with these players I think this tactic is not going to work and it’s going to be an almighty struggle. 

kingantti1874
24 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

If we go down then Stendel will have been a complete failure.

not for me.. we were rotten from top to bottom.. tough to fix that overnight 

27 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

If we go down then Stendel will have been a complete failure.

AB would be the failure,she makes the appointments.

jack D and coke

It’s like a boxer who has taken 6 rounds of punishment and is coming out swinging for the second half of the fight leaving himself open for all sorts of counter punches. It’s brave but the KO looks like it’s coming. 
I don’t think we’re getting out of this. It’s like every shit team knows exactly how to play us and we can’t seem to counteract it. Just defend deep, pop some balls over the top and bingo. Our defenders seem to fall over and slip and shit and our keeper saves absolutely nothing it’s ****ing schoolboy stuff. 
Im really flat this morning about it all. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

No one knows how we will perform between now and May so Stendel will have some level of cupability. It's just an undetermined scale.

If we go down then the whole lot of them share the blame, Budge, Levein, Stendel, the mediocre Daly, the waster Whelan, all the other dross.  I'd weight the blame more towards Levein as the architect of failure who created the problems others failed to fix.

But, there is a long way to go yet.  I'd revisit this topic if we lose to Accies and St Liedown before the split.

I'm worried that he will continue with Joel in goals.When a keepers head has gone it's fecking gone and they need taken out the firing line,the guy is scared of a football.

7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s like a boxer who has taken 6 rounds of punishment and is coming out swinging for the second half of the fight leaving himself open for all sorts of counter punches. It’s brave but the KO looks like it’s coming. 
I don’t think we’re getting out of this. It’s like every shit team knows exactly how to play us and we can’t seem to counteract it. Just defend deep, pop some balls over the top and bingo. Our defenders seem to fall over and slip and shit and our keeper saves absolutely nothing it’s ****ing schoolboy stuff. 

This

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I'm worried that he will continue with Joel in goals.When a keepers head has gone it's fecking gone and they need taken out the firing line,the guy is scared of a football.

It very much seems that way!

2 minutes ago, WaikatoJambo said:

If we go down then the whole lot of them share the blame, Budge, Levein, Stendel, the mediocre Daly, the waster Whelan, all the other dross.  I'd weight the blame more towards Levein as the architect of failure who created the problems others failed to fix.

But, there is a long way to go yet.  I'd revisit this topic if we lose to Accies and St Liedown before the split.

I don't think a result against either will be a turning point. We're in it now and we look the weakest of the bunch. Not sure how Stendel can be blamed though. For him it's a new league new country and not even his players.

Just over two years ago Steve Clarke took over a Kilmarnock side in similarly dire straits and took them to fifth in the league. So if, as seems increasingly likely, we do go down of course Stendel will have to bear some of the responsibility. If he's not in a position to influence anything between now and the end of the season, then Dr B has made another almighty hash of things. 

Edited by Cut The Crap

Fitzroy Pointon
3 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

I honestly believe we're getting relegated this season. 

Unfortunately this is where I am at.  Last night felt like a massive boot in the stones.  I was impressed with the fight at the end but it wasn't enough and ultimately our failings that have been there for three years now are still there and are what cost us last night.  

It's just all so depressing.  

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No one knows how we will perform between now and May so Stendel will have some level of cupability. It's just an undetermined scale.

Yip. He’ll rightly get credit if we stay up so he has to shoulder some responsibility if we don’t. 

Don't think we'll go down, if we do Stendel will need to take his share of the blame but everyone knows who got us in this position in the first place and left us a broken shambling wreck of a football team. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

To be honest, if we go down then I can see Stendel leaving at the end of the season. Levein, in theory, is going too. The blame for the mess left behind would then fall on one person alone.

Budge.

Italian Lambretta

Stendel needs to park his geggenpress for now and put  a team out that will fight tooth and nail for wins.

Every other team arround us has done that. 

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

I don't think a result against either will be a turning point. We're in it now and we look the weakest of the bunch. Not sure how Stendel can be blamed though. For him it's a new league new country and not even his players.

Two of the three points you make are down to an appointment from outside Scotland. Do you think that was a mistake?

49 minutes ago, Section Q said:

We have no money worries like before and our attendances could hardly be higher. We have no restrictions on signing players, and we are an attractive club when it comes to recruitment.

Financially the club is a success story, and fan ownership is such an achievement that we have a film production company at every game recording what should/is something for us to proud of.

The buck solely stops with Budge and Levein. Absolute mismanagement on a grand scale. Ok so they did some things right, and I'm sure there will be those on here who are quick, (again), to remind us, but we can't deny it's down to them. It'll be interesting how the final cut of the documentary is edited but hopefully it's warts and all. 

It has nothing to do with Stendel. He arrived, (after much persuasion), on his own, and without his preferred coaching team, only to find his predecessor still around and breathing down his neck. 

Budge has been strangely silent since the new coach arrived. It's like she's waiting for the big moment to arrive, (April by all accounts), when she can preside over the climax of the last five years and fan ownership concludes. 

Our league status will be clearer by then, but if it's Championship football next season, it will be down to her and Levein, and definitely not Stendel.

Agree with this. It's a joke that imposter Levein is still around. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Stendel needs to park his geggenpress for now and put  a team out that will fight tooth and nail for wins.

Every other team arround us has done that. 

He’s not going to do that. You can tell it’s not his style to break from his philosophy. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Two of the three points you make are down to an appointment from outside Scotland. Do you think that was a mistake?

Possibly. I also agree we need a blood and guts approach to get the points on the board. Stendel's doing what he knows best. He's new to the country and the league and still without his preferred coaching team.

If we go down I'd say 90% Levein /Budge fault. 10% Stendel. He inherited a shambles but given the time he has had he should be able to haul us out of the relegation scrap. He also has had a transfer window to sort the problem areas but failed in the goalkeeping department. This was priority in my opinion. If only Budge has had sacked Levein after the Livingston debacle. 

Apart from the OF, only 2 teams have picked up more points than us over the last 5 games (Livi and St Johnstone). If we can get 6 points (4 minimum) from Hamilton and St Mirren then I think we will be okay. 

Levein's squad performed horribly, and were dreadful to watch. However, considered opinion among many pundits was that player for player we had a stronger (and bigger!) squad than several other sides in the bottom six. All that was needed, we all thought, was a change of manager and things would come good. 

Levein went, and even Macphee got a glimmer of improvement out of them.

Stendal got nothing at all for his first few games, and since then we have seen a few flashes of hope. They are, at least, slightly less painful to watch. 

However,  our results are pretty much as bad as before. Stendal had a decent January window, and most of the long term injuries are back. He has the backing of the board, and, for the time being, of the vast majority of the support. Everything should be in his favour to dig us out of this mess. Sadly, it doesn't look likely right now.

If we do go down, some of the responsibility has to lie with him.

Edited by Morlich

4 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Apart from the OF, only 2 teams have picked up more points than us over the last 5 games (Livi and St Johnstone). If we can get 6 points (4 minimum) from Hamilton and St Mirren then I think we will be okay. 

I like your style. 👍

58 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Aye Ann Budge has been strangely silent, well apart from the in depth interview she did yesterday. 

He wouldn’t be completely blameless. While most of the blame would fall on the incumbent who preceded him, Stendel would still have to take some responsibility.

Not sure what ratio of blame should be apportioned but Stendel absolutely would be partly responsible.     It would be incredibly silly to absolve him of all responsibility.     As well as thoroughly dishonest.     

25 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

But it's not the boxer's fault, that lies with his manager. 

That's right isn't it?

In football, results are everything. If Daniel doesn’t understand this then he’s not the man for us. And he’ll take his share of the blame if we go down.

It will certainly be down to Levein in a big way but Stendel would also have to take responsibility.  He has been allowed to sign several players and has done well in shifting on some of the dross. However, he is still hamstrung by Levein's signings, including 3 goalies, none of whom are reliable. An incredible piece of mismanagement. 

Fwiw, there is no chance of us getting relegated, none at all. The "gegenpress" philosophy must continue as it will help to enhance our younger players, to attract better players and, hopefully, to challenge the OF in future. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to continue along the well worn path playing the style of football Hamilton and St Mirren rely on, set pieces, long throws, pack the team with height and strength. This is very much Cathro MK II but with a manager who can inspire the fans and the players while bringing the feel good factor back to our Castle. We will defend better and continue to score goals and will be well clear of trouble come May.

15 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Possibly. I also agree we need a blood and guts approach to get the points on the board. Stendel's doing what he knows best. He's new to the country and the league and still without his preferred coaching team.

He's got the coaching team he wants/can get in place.

Edited by graygo

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Buck stops with Saint Ann.

Absolutely. She is accountable for both our managers this season as she appointed them. 

Jambof3tornado

Stendel will have failed to do what he was tasked with and thats keeping us up. However levein and budge got us into a very difficult position to start with. I still think we will stay up but DS needs to learn quickly, our defending is a joke at times and the goalie should have been dropped after st johnstone.

37 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Good way of putting it. 

I think Stendel has looked for a quick remedy and it’s not quite worked. He was caught between a rock and a hard place. 

The fans needed to see positivity, more attacking play, hope that the situation can be recovered. He went down that route. If it was the same cautious approach, we’d be up in arms.....But in some ways it’s played into the nervousness with every game we don’t take the lead, the players slowly revert to type and desperation kicks in. 

The team doesn’t have the mental strength.  The 2nd half v St Johnstone and the alarming lack of urgency last night at the start of the 2nd half touched on Stendel’s own words prior to the game. 

Edited by Debut 4

38 minutes ago, weehammy said:

If we go down Stendel will have a share of the responsibility.

Sadly, this.

This is a difficult thing for me to write, because (i) I don't want to come over as saying "I told you so", and (ii) I'm still hoping that Daniel will save the day, but I was one of the ones who thinks/thought that appointing Daniel mid-season and bottom of the table was not the right action to take. I wanted Stephen Robinson in. Daniel is, similarly to Cathro in a way, a "conceptual" manager, not the gritty SFPL-experienced workhorse we needed to get ourselves out of the mire. He's a risky appointment because he organises his football in a way that, if it works, can produce excellent rewards, but which needs (i) the correct players to implement his plans, (ii) enough time to train the players in his techniques so that they are living and breathing them. We had neither.

Daniel would have been a great pre-season and pre-summer transfer period appointment for a team which already had a good enough playing staff to implement his vision and, importantly, talented enough to revert to Plan B if that vision was taking a while to take hold. Daniel should have known under which circumstances his vision would work and should have only taken the gig if he was sure that he had a good chance of success, including having carried out a solid analysis of the players who would be at his disposal and being exactly aware of who he was going to buy in the winter transfer season to plug any gaps.

So, if we go down, everyone is to blame.

But, here's hoping we won't, so that I can eat a huge piece of humble pie at the end of it. I'll happily have my knife and fork ready.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He joins in the blame. 

No free cards here. Plenty of time to rectify the situation,  and he has the luxury of almost a fully fit squad. 

Failed miserably last night to sort Saturday's problems. 

He may have inherited difficulties but has more than enough assets to get us up the League. 

If he chooses to play Henderson and Moore ahead of Meshino Walker and Washington then he is glaringly culpable as well as effectively playing 2 at the back. 

Dyer and Wright both delighted at the easy pickings on offer 

Stendel came in to make things better, and improve results but certainly not to oversee a relegation. If Hearts are relegated he will have failed in his objectives. If the worst happens (relegation) his tenure in role will be reviewed!

27 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Deary me!

Deary me? So if we're relegated he'll have been a success then? 

Edited by AndyNic

Since the winter break, we've scored 4 of our 6 goals in the last 11 minutes(straw clutching thanks to Clare's pen in the 79" last night). I really do think we're finding a grit to us, even if it isn't coming off all the time, we're showing a reaction at the end of games regardless of how shite we've been to chasing games now which is almost unthinkable from the Levein regime. Give me this over what's come before. It's been four games. Apparently we were going to get top 6 again from some fans after we beat Rangers.

Edited by jambo-rocker