Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Spoleto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I am actually a bit concerned about us dealing with high balls now. I'm hoping we've got someone with better ariel ability than the defenders we have left.

Agree hes been a great servant and it's sad this is happening.

Like the sort of high ball Allen hoofed skywards into the box that Berra badly misjudged allowing Boyle to score ?

Honestly.....with Berra binned there are fewer overall defensive issues to worry about.

Edited by DH1986

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The first season back was great. 

Resultantly he was a massive factor creating a club record. 

He probably turned up for the start of last season fit as he ever had been. 

Sadly he was dealt a blow he has never recovered from whilst overseeing a squad of chickens. 

Farewell skipper 

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Like the sort of high ball Allen hoofed skywards into the box that Berra badly misjudged allowing Boyce to score ?

Honestly.....with Berra binned there are fewer overall defensive issues to worry about.

Boyle, aye.

Couldn't agree more. He needs to go. Would like us to sign someone better in the air than we have though. If we don't get that we are still better without Berra.

21 minutes ago, JamboNation said:

This one feels wrong still a solid dependable defender, be careful what you wish for

I am afraid he is now neither.   

The correct decision, though I am a little surprised it has been made. 

Only have the utmost respect for him, and he was a revelation when we brought him back. But after all those times he put his body on the line, it seems it has let him

down. Tough decision by Stendel, but the right one I think.

copa-mundial

Sorry haven't read every reply through 7 pages, but from the original spread in the report. I found this paragraph most telling (if it's an actual quote from DS?)

He said: “I think, when Aaron gets some players next to him who can help him, he can improve so much more.”

This to me says everything about how DS sees his team and players. 

It's a very bold move. One I completely agree with. As do many others. 

Feel for Berra as he has gave blood sweat and tears for the jersey. He never recovered from the hamstring injury. Sadly time moves on. 

In DS I trust!

39 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Anyone having a go at Berra is either not. Hearts fan, doesn’t really understand what it means to be a Hearts or is so devoid of meaning in their own life that they relish the opportunity to go online and be negative about anyway that has been remotely successful at something.

There are only a handful of players that have played more times for Hearts in the last 30 years than Berra. He came through the ranks, was sold for good money and went down South and had a good career in the EPL and Championship. And bear in mind there has been a lot of players from Scotland who have gone down South and flopped. 

He then came back to us when more money was available elsewhere. Okay it was also to be near his daughter, although in itself tells you he is a decent guy. And when he returned he was outstanding, with numerous younger players about learning from him. He then unfortunately until got injured. 

That injury has reduced his mobility and has meant he has struggled, a struggle made worse by an underperforming team and unsettled back four ever since Souttar got injured. I doubt he would have struggled so much if Souttar had been beside him this season. There was always an element of ball winner and ball player to their partnership. 

Over his career he has clearly been a strong leader but when your mobility goes and you are having to concentrate more and work harder to get into position, it is harder to have the energy and the breath to lead vocally on the pitch. It is also difficult to shout at team mates when you are also making mistakes and getting caught out. He was always a guy who would lead by example, that is hard to do when an injury has reduced your own standard.

A sad end, although I suspect there is some spin from the sun and the article will also either be getting used by hearts or Berra or both, to alert teams to his availability. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he went on loan to Dunfermline or similar. Commute from Edinburgh and avoids having to play against Hearts. A couple of the teams around us would love to have him for a relegation battle but i’m not sure he want to do that. 

Stendel’s decision and I think we can understand it but let’s not lose sight of the fact Berra came through the ranks to not only live our dream but excelled at it. He put his body on the line when he played and in the end it is the body he put in the line for Hearts nearly 250 times that has given out on him at the end of a great career.

Superb mate. Well said.

Just now, Dazo said:

He definitely needed dropped but not sure it needed to end like this. Shame but we need to move players on. 

How else could it have ended ?

Confess to being a bit shocked when I read the post heading. However, it had to happen DS is certainly not afraid to make the perceived right footballing decisions.

Berra will be remembered as one who always gave his all for the cause and a top player in his day.

He is a wealthy man and Hearts aren’t exactly chucking him on to the street unremunerated.

A player never to be forgotten, unlike Whelan whose name will fade before the moon is waxed.

Edited by alfajambo

Just now, DH1986 said:

How else could it have ended ?

I guess it depends on the circumstances of how things have been since the manager arrived and how he sees his future. He could have gradually phased out of playing and moved on to coaching within the club. I’m just not sure a club captain should get shoved out the door. That said may be it was the only way. He deserved to be dropped that’s for sure. 

I see it as DS expected more from his experienced players both on and off the pitch. Levein said it was great to have this type of player around, but if they are not setting the right standards they are just setting the wrong example for everyone else 

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

I see it as DS expected more from his experienced players both on and off the pitch. Levein said it was great to have this type of player around, but if they are not setting the right standards they are just setting the wrong example for everyone else 

I'd imagine this is purely down to Berra's footballing performances rather than anything else tbh. 

Thought Police
11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He definitely needed dropped but not sure it needed to end like this. Shame but we need to move players on. 

This is where I am. Some players deserve more than just being told to **** off. We were very lucky he chose us in the first place.

1 hour ago, Mykel_wcip said:

Don’t think this will be as straight forward a situation as some think. With the old regime still at the club it is verily possible Berra’s allegiance lies to them, he may have mouthed off to one of them about Stendel and it has got back to him. Or it could be he has just been binned for his performances, who knows.

If you watch Hearts it’s so obvious he’s been binned as you say for his performances and not the made up nonsense that’s peddled on here whenever a football decision is made at our club. 

53 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Anyone having a go at Berra is either not. Hearts fan, doesn’t really understand what it means to be a Hearts or is so devoid of meaning in their own life that they relish the opportunity to go online and be negative about anyway that has been remotely successful at something.

There are only a handful of players that have played more times for Hearts in the last 30 years than Berra. He came through the ranks, was sold for good money and went down South and had a good career in the EPL and Championship. And bear in mind there has been a lot of players from Scotland who have gone down South and flopped. 

He then came back to us when more money was available elsewhere. Okay it was also to be near his daughter, although in itself tells you he is a decent guy. And when he returned he was outstanding, with numerous younger players about learning from him. He then unfortunately until got injured. 

That injury has reduced his mobility and has meant he has struggled, a struggle made worse by an underperforming team and unsettled back four ever since Souttar got injured. I doubt he would have struggled so much if Souttar had been beside him this season. There was always an element of ball winner and ball player to their partnership. 

Over his career he has clearly been a strong leader but when your mobility goes and you are having to concentrate more and work harder to get into position, it is harder to have the energy and the breath to lead vocally on the pitch. It is also difficult to shout at team mates when you are also making mistakes and getting caught out. He was always a guy who would lead by example, that is hard to do when an injury has reduced your own standard.

A sad end, although I suspect there is some spin from the sun and the article will also either be getting used by hearts or Berra or both, to alert teams to his availability. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he went on loan to Dunfermline or similar. Commute from Edinburgh and avoids having to play against Hearts. A couple of the teams around us would love to have him for a relegation battle but i’m not sure he want to do that. 

Stendel’s decision and I think we can understand it but let’s not lose sight of the fact Berra came through the ranks to not only live our dream but excelled at it. He put his body on the line when he played and in the end it is the body he put in the line for Hearts nearly 250 times that has given out on him at the end of a great career.

What a pile of pish.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

If the story is true that’s football. 

Since the injury he has been poor, as has the whole team in fairness. Not convinced he was seen as a starter this year and thought may have had a place as a back up. Though I guess financially he will be one of our high earners, so would help. 

I’m not convinced Berra will move on. Not sure who takes him on the money we’ve been paying. He’s just married and pretty settled. I’m not convinced another spl team would take him and doubt a championship club can afford him unless we pay a chunk of it. 

I wouldn’t send him to the reserves because if he doesn’t move, he may be needed at some point. However, I guess trying to make it clear he’s not in the future plans. 

Assume we must have a CH to arrive if getting rid as well. 

Good luck to Berra in the future. 

Last two points are key for me. Presume terms/move etc already agreed with a new CB somewhere.....

All this presumes the Sun is correct of course.

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

He wasn't shite Ffs. 

I'm glad you trust Stendel 100%.

I'll back him but results in the future will determine if him being here and decisions like this are 100% correct. 

I admire your blind faith, tho. 

I am optimistic, but aware that this could go horribly wrong. 

Blind faith is gripping onto the past for dear life, scared to let go, even although what you are holding onto was imminent failure 

You need to move on from the past. All I’m saying 👍

Re Berra, great servant and I hope will be treated with dignity and respect. Feel horrible for the guy as I have no doubt that his injury has cost him as he hasn’t been the same since

Stendel has made the Correct decision imo but will be sorry to see him go

Berra was a defensive liability and quieter than a field mouse in the dressing room and on the park. That all being said tho, still a player that gave everything he had for Hearts and for that he gets my respect and thanks. He tore the muscle clean of his bone and somehow made it back within about 2 months, madness. He’s never really recovered since. I am happy with the decision that’s been made, I would however hope that we get the opportunity to thank Berra before he leaves. 

Hard decisions have to be made and if that means letting the club captain go then so be it

also I am sure he will be disappointed but he will be very professional about it and wish

you all the best for the future and may be a future manager 

Stendel's called Berra out for being unhelpful, unprofessional and unwilling to help implement his way of playing/pressing and helping the younger players and he's taken the huff so he's been told to **** off and he'll bring in players that can do what he needs. 

Sound about right?

9 hours ago, Spoleto said:

If this is true I think it's a disgusting way for Berra to be treated and does Stendel absolutely no credit.

The man has given his all for the club and deserves to be treated with respect.

There’s no point in Berra training with the first team as we are playing the high press passing from the back in training it would all break down with a Berra hoof. 

I said Berra was finished as soon as he came back from injury but all the wee fan boys in hear didn’t want to hear it. 

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Berra was a defensive liability and quieter than a field mouse in the dressing room and on the park. That all being said tho, still a player that gave everything he had for Hearts and for that he gets my respect and thanks. He tore the muscle clean of his bone and somehow made it back within about 2 months, madness. He’s never really recovered since. I am happy with the decision that’s been made, I would however hope that we get the opportunity to thank Berra before he leaves. 

Absolute bollocks. Anyone that knows someone who has played with Berra would say the exact opposite.

27 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

He said: “I think, when Aaron gets some players next to him who can help him, he can improve so much more.”

Just hope it’s Hickey not Hughes he’s talking about 😕!

In all seriousness, I’m hopeful that this means Hickey is staying put 

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

Just hope it’s Hickey not Hughes he’s talking about 😕!

In all seriousness, I’m hopeful that this means Hickey is staying put 

He means when he's at Man City he'll have players around him that can help him improve and fulfil his potential.

Just now, AndyNic said:

He means when he's at Man City he'll have players around him that can help him improve and fulfil his potential.

😢

Sorry to see it end like this with Berra, but he has been an absolute liability from around the cup final onwards. Wish him all the very best for his future but the time has come and the correct call been made. 

21 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I guess it depends on the circumstances of how things have been since the manager arrived and how he sees his future. He could have gradually phased out of playing and moved on to coaching within the club. I’m just not sure a club captain should get shoved out the door. That said may be it was the only way. He deserved to be dropped that’s for sure. 

Berra has unfortunately become a passenger that we cannot afford.

We aren’t in a position to phase him out.....we need to win 7 more points than St Mirren between now and the end of the season to be assured of avoiding relegation.

Berra played instrumental part of our demise....that cannot be ignored.

This is not the time to be sentimental.

Berra has been a brilliant player for the club. He's a top class professional and his attitude and work-rate are second to none. But it's clear that the injury last season took a lot out of him and his mobility is just not the same as before. I'm sure Christoph knows himself that this decision was coming. 

He's got nothing left to give his legs have gone and all he can do is lump it up the field at any given opportunity hence the reason DS has seemed him surplus to requirements 👍

5 minutes ago, E6 Inc said:

Absolute bollocks. Anyone that knows someone who has played with Berra would say the exact opposite.

I know loads of people who have played with Berra, I know people who play with him now.  Naismith on many occasions has dug him out for not saying enough. Our current manager has even eluded to the fact that he doesn’t command the players enough or talk enough, see his comments on Hickey. 

Ex member of the SaS

Everything has been said already, Great servant but not the same player after injury. His style of play was right out of Levein's play book, pass it around then hump it. Glad the decision has been made but can't find any animosity to him. Best of luck in the future ( unless it's against us ) 

Bit premature. Right now that leaves us with a seriously unfit/overweight Halkett and Dikamona. 

Probably the right decision but if it’s true he’s been sent to train with the reserves is pish

Should be remembered as a great servant to the club and he is a player I respect immensely. 

I wish him nothing but good luck and thank him for all he has done.

Perth to Paisley
Spoiler

Victim of injury and time.... it’s as simple as that.

Excellent before he left and excellent before injury.

Technically a ‘mercy killing’.

Wish him well wherever he goes but maybe time to hang up the boots,

You had a fine career

Thanks Christoph

Edited by Perth to Paisley
Ignore ‘spoiler’

Wish him all the best, feel abit sorry for him as one thing we can’t deny about Berra was he gave 100% just his 100% wasn’t good enough anymore since that injury against Celtic

It's the right decision but sad all the same. Never the same after the injury it may well be the case that his commitment to the club saw him come back too soon and play games others wouldn't. Very best of luck in the future  Christophe. 

As others have said though it is ultimately an encouraging decision. Stendel has a commitment to how the team should play and he needs the right type of player to make that happen. Goalkeeper aside I don't see us signing any more 30 somethings and the buys won't be panic in the way so many have been in recent years. Big statement Daniel, now back it up with a couple of players you think can improve the team straight away please. 

I feel for the guy but he’s never recovered from what was a serious injury.

Unfortunately he’s been making high profile errors week after week and we’ve all been saying on here that he’s finished and Stendel has made the decision.

I wish him all the best for the future.