Christophe Berra

mscjambo

Heartsofgold

And for the record, I've actually very sad that it's ending this way for Berra.  He was a complete rock for Hearts but he has not been the same player since the hamstring injury.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Spoleto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Voiceofreasonfortheseason

Berra is 100% past it but I think folk need to remember how mistreated he was by the Levein regime.  I posted on here at the time that he was being wheeled out week after week when he wasn't right, rushed back from injury after injury.  I get that his time has come, I just don't like the comments towards Christophe on here.  The man literally put his body on the line for Hearts and this should be acknowledged by more than a few posters on here.  Horrible attitude, football is about more than a transfer window.

11 hours ago, cosanostra said:

The difference between first spell McCann and second spell McCann was colossal too i guess.

I wonder if that was more down to how he was used second time around though?

He was mostly used as an out and out winger when he returned when he no longer had the pace that he had once been blessed with.

On the rare occasions that he was payed in a more central role I thought he did a lot better. Being a part of the squad during such a turbulent period wouldn't have helped either.

Having said all that though, he certainly wasn't the player he had been.

10 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Should’ve stood up to shake Dan’s hand on day one :whistling:

I wonder if Christophe already knew his fate prior to Stendel arriving?

9 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Rumours already of Hamilton Accies being a possible destination?

Wont be short on offers imo

11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Stendal is exactly what we have  needed. Completely void of any history or sentiment to players of this club and that can only be a good thing. Levein became guilty of the old mates thing and was completely blinded by his loyalty to folk. 

I wish Berra well. Great servant and a really good player to boot

Spot on. 

9 hours ago, JyTees said:

There's no disrespect. It's the truth. Do you disagree? Do you believe he's still got something to offer?

I appreciate Berra's service to the club. Unfortunately, he's been doing the club a disservice for the past year. I've lost count the amount of goals we've conceded where he's been directly or indirectly involved.

Yes I agree he is finished. 

Your comment was a bit harsh and no mention of his service to the club. 

You have now said you appreciate his service and think that sounds better. 👍

Also think his poor form was a combination of his bad injury, age catching up on him, playing beside poor players especially the raft of goalies who I  must say are the worst team of goalkeepers I have seen at Tynecastle in over 50 years. 😏

Aside from decline in performance felt Berra never gave the leadership on the field we needed. Undoubtedly a great player in his day but for me never a captain. Good luck to him in any event, Hearts through and through and by all accounts a nice guy.

Edited by Cynic

11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Stendal is exactly what we have  needed. Completely void of any history or sentiment to players of this club and that can only be a good thing. Levein became guilty of the old mates thing and was completely blinded by his loyalty to folk. 

I wish Berra well. Great servant and a really good player to boot

Couldn't agree more. Berra great servant, don't think he deserves to be called out, but still should be replaced.

It should have been ten
2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I wonder if Christophe already knew his fate prior to Stendel arriving?

True, good point 

Jambo 4 Ever
13 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Rumours already of Hamilton Accies being a possible destination?

Why not 

or someone like Dunfermline or Raith Rovers

maybe Neilson will take him to Dundee Utd 

2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Could see him going to livvy or Dundee united

If he can’t play Premiership football for us at the required standard then he won’t be going to either if those clubs unless it’s in a coaching capacity.

Dundee, Dunfermline or Patrick is about his level now imo.

Just now, DH1986 said:

If he can’t play Premiership football for us at the required standard then he won’t be going to either if those clubs unless it’s in a coaching capacity.

Dundee, Dunfermline or Patrick is about his level now imo.

Maybe change of club will do him good

1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Errors yes , also won virtually every header and blocked loads of goal bound shots . Not the player he was and never was the player Stendel favours . 

No need for the assassination type posts 

I agree with all you have said apart from the assassination type post 👍

Got to love Stendal, no pissing about. High earners that are likely to be bit part players gone regardless of their reputation or affinity to the club.

The club has been stinking for two years, half arsed attitudes, no commitment and the easy life.

All the best to Berra, great player in his day and good Hearts man but we're bottom of the league and there's no time for sentiment.

1 minute ago, MTS1874 said:

I agree with all you have said apart from the assassination type post 👍

Puzzled by that ?

I think there is far too many of those type of posts 

Austin MacGlee
26 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

I am sure he could do some ball work or something whilst certain aspects of training goes ahead, excluding someone from first team training indicates a bit more than he is no longer part of your plans.  I am keen to know how we move Berra on, must be on a good wage that he wont get elsewhere.  Anyone think once he gets rested he will go on to give another team a couple of decent seasons service?

The sad thing is that I think (can't remember where I saw/heard it) Berra was meant to be a back up CB this season but the injury to Souttar put that plan in the sh*ter. Gutted for Christophe and I'm hoping that this doesn't cause any unrest or disruption in the dressing room. He's a good Jambo and will be missed. 

Voiceofreasonfortheseason
1 minute ago, Austin MacGlee said:

The sad thing is that I think (can't remember where I saw/heard it) Berra was meant to be a back up CB this season but the injury to Souttar put that plan in the sh*ter. Gutted for Christophe and I'm hoping that this doesn't cause any unrest or disruption in the dressing room. He's a good Jambo and will be missed. 

Well said Austin, more examples in your post that Christophe has done nothing but give his all for the club.  Always there to be called upon.

13 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Maybe change of club will do him good

A change of club at a similar level won’t make any difference.

His pace, mobility and agility has gone. A sideways move isn’t bringing any of that vital stuff back.

John Findlay
40 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Didn't want to insinuate that but if the shoe fits.....

He wasnt a Hearts supporter at St Thomas's.

Heartsofgold
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

He wasnt a Hearts supporter at St Thomas's.

Who?  Berra?  My original response was to a poster who made a snarky reply about getting of Clare so I gave a further snarky reply.  I know CB was not a Hearts fan at School.

Bungalow Bill

Having to train with the reserves is a bit harsh for me. Club captain and a good servant to the club so feels a bit extreme. We all know Berra’s a spent force as a starter but this doesn’t sit well with me. 

1 minute ago, Apache Mal said:

Having to train with the reserves is a bit harsh for me. Club captain and a good servant to the club so feels a bit extreme. We all know Berra’s a spent force as a starter but this doesn’t sit well with me. 

Should he take lady in training and set pieces etc when he is not going to ever play ?

What is the point of that ?

Folk have said we’ve become a soft touch and as soon as we get a manager in who is doing exactly what needs to be done some are going all soft again.

Berra is done at this level and we can’t afford to carry him along just because we like him as a guy.

That attitude won’t keep us up.

Adam_the_legend
52 minutes ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

Berra is 100% past it but I think folk need to remember how mistreated he was by the Levein regime.  I posted on here at the time that he was being wheeled out week after week when he wasn't right, rushed back from injury after injury.  I get that his time has come, I just don't like the comments towards Christophe on here.  The man literally put his body on the line for Hearts and this should be acknowledged by more than a few posters on here.  Horrible attitude, football is about more than a transfer window.

The vast majority of posters on this thread have thanked CB for his service to hearts and their disappointment the injury has robbed him of his ability at this level. What more do you want?!

Gimme an H...
23 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Should he take lady in training and set pieces etc when he is not going to ever play ?

What is the point of that ?

Folk have said we’ve become a soft touch and as soon as we get a manager in who is doing exactly what needs to be done some are going all soft again.

Berra is done at this level and we can’t afford to carry him along just because we like him as a guy.

That attitude won’t keep us up.

He should still train with the first team it's not just about who you're training with it's who you train against that can make you better.

Training against a big lump of a centre half gets you used to different styles of defending.

As you say, I think he's done at this level but it would still be beneficial for him to be training with the first team.

4 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Dont worry I'm sure Christophe did ok out of that 2million transfer too.

I don't think that's the point.

12 hours ago, jamboozy said:

You could hear a lot of discord from the stands aimed at Christophe at times and I for one would not like to see the kind of hatred shown towards the last manager relocate itself on his shoulders, you could see he was hurting as well, so in that regard I'm glad he has been told to step away and think about his future.

many thanks big man and all the best to you & yours. 

Looked as if he was keeking it in the tunnel before the last derby. Surprised me as he was our captain yet didn't look to be relishing it at all. Also his captaincy style was to lead by example rather than be vocal so the last year he's been a poor leader. Stendel clearly recognised this quickly...

How he finds a new club though, perhaps down a division...

MarkDevriesScores4

2 seasons ago, he was one of the top defenders in the country with the highest percentage of defensive headers I am told.

he has been a great servant to the club and will always be remembered fondly. I can see he returning in a coaching capacity at some point.

He’s had a really tough time since returning from injury and it’s been hard watching him trying to keep up with the game when his legs just aren’t the same.

I wish him all the best and I’m sure the majority of hearts fans do too. 

21 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Great servant to the club, but time to move on, wonder if robbie will be interested in him at utd

They could sign me and still win that league. Just can't see why they'd bother with Berra, an expensive player they probably don't need 

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Trouble is, Berra has a deal to 2021. Another crap decision that was.

Much as I like him it really was ridiculous. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, smiler said:

More and more convinced that Levein just wanted cardboard cutouts who wouldn’t question him or rock the boat 

Be interesting to see if another centre back comes in with Berra going. 

Souttar will be a while yet and Smith can do the job but we are fairly weak at right back unless Clare stays there. 

Leaves Dikamona and Halkett really. 😏

Thought Police
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Trouble is, Berra has a deal to 2021. Another crap decision that was.

2 minutes ago, smiler said:

Hindsight is wonderful isn’t it? Most people were very happy when he signed his extension, same as Uche.

8 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

2 seasons ago, he was one of the top defenders in the country with the highest percentage of defensive headers I am told.

he has been a great servant to the club and will always be remembered fondly. I can see he returning in a coaching capacity at some point.

He’s had a really tough time since returning from injury and it’s been hard watching him trying to keep up with the game when his legs just aren’t the same.

I wish him all the best and I’m sure the majority of hearts fans do too. 

Well said. 

Spot on. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Thought Police said:

Hindsight is wonderful isn’t it? Most people were very happy when he signed his extension, same as Uche.

I doubt that given how poor he’s been

12 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

No. That would be you 🙂

The boy's right though, you're at it constantly, and maybe I've missed it but did you ever explain how you arrived at your username? 

2 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Half the folk on here were delighted when Mulraney got his big contract

2 minutes ago, smiler said:

The boy's right though, you're at it constantly, and maybe I've missed it but did you ever explain how you arrived at your username? 

best ignored if that’s how you feel instead of yet another thread derailed by the tedious numb boringly merry go round. 

Thought Police
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I doubt that given how poor he’s been

But the point is when he signed his extension he was playing very well. Can’t have a go at the club for giving him an extension when most of us were happy for them to do so.

2 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

so who will come in for Berra ? a scottish Championship club maybe?

Dundee Utd is my prediction.  Perhaps on loan at first.  

They are bigger than any of the SPL sides that would show an interest.   They probably have more money, too. 

Just now, Thought Police said:

Don't think Uche is going anywhere by the way. 

Think Stendel will get more out of him with proper coaching and possibly playing him out wide and running at defences. 

He has caused havoc in that position before and think the new man will see that he cannot play through the middle with his back to goal getting missiles launched at him. 

He certainly has the work ethic and attitude to play the new style of the boss man. 

Just now, Dazo said:

best ignored if that’s how you feel instead of yet another thread derailed by the tedious numb boringly merry go round. 

I'll ignore what I choose thanks mate, I'm genuinely half interested in his answer, hence my question. 

1 hour ago, jamboj said:

I know what you mean, it doesnt sound pleasant. On the other hand tho, if you're wanting to work on structures and shape for the first team, why would you include someone who isn't going to play in the first team?

This is where I am at. 

1 minute ago, smiler said:

I'll ignore what I choose thanks mate, I'm genuinely half interested in his answer, hence my question. 

Then pm him instead of boring the life out the thread. Thanks. 

Thought Police
2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Don't think Uche is going anywhere by the way. 

Think Stendel will get more out of him with proper coaching and possibly playing him out wide and running at defences. 

He has caused havoc in that position before and think the new man will see that he cannot play through the middle with his back to goal getting missiles launched at him. 

He certainly has the work ethic and attitude to play the new style of the boss man. 

I agree. My point was simply that when he signed his extension, most on here were delighted. 9 months later most are saying he’s s***e and should be emptied.

Tenaciousdandy
11 minutes ago, jamboj said:

They could sign me and still win that league. Just can't see why they'd bother with Berra, an expensive player they probably don't need 

That's very true, still think he can do a job at a lower level in Scotland or possibly England, hopefully someone comes in for him, and he can continue playing if that's what he decides to do