Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Spoleto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wattie exploited

was a great player when he first came but ever since he got injured he hasnt been close to the player he was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but good luck to him and I wish him well for the future !

I like that its only took Dan a  month to see who needs to move on so bye bye Berra :rifle:

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Is it? Would you keep him as one of our starting centre backs? 

I've the utmost respect for Berra and I'm gutted for him and us that it's ended this way but if he was good enough...then I imagine the ending would be different

I find it a disrespectful term, when the real reason he's suffered in form is injuries and being part of a pretty shite team.

For example, we have quite a few players who aren't good enough at this level who don't have injuries to cite as an excuse.

It's just semantics really, language. All about opinions I guess. 

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Absolutely no place for sentiment and I'm delighted the new boss isn't showing any. Probably a big part of the reason we're in the state we're in is down to certain character's at the club showing too much loyalty and sentiment. I dare say there's a hint of attempting to remove the remnants of it in this decision. It's football. The club moves on.

Berra was the elephant in the room. Finished. I seriously doubt we'll get him off the wage bill unfortunately.

Imagine not having a single good word to say about Berra. Sad stuff.

You could hear a lot of discord from the stands aimed at Christophe at times and I for one would not like to see the kind of hatred shown towards the last manager relocate itself on his shoulders, you could see he was hurting as well, so in that regard I'm glad he has been told to step away and think about his future.

many thanks big man and all the best to you & yours. 

StevenNaismith

I believe he won’t be the only experienced player told they are free to find a new club. Obviously Whelan has already been told but there’s more to come. Trying to free up wages and space in the physio’s room.

Berra was a very good player for Hearts in both spells with us until he was injured last season.

I can't see any team matching his wages given the way he's played for the past 6 months.

I've a lot of time for Berra he's always given 100 per cent sadly he's not the player he was due to injury.

2 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

was a great player when he first came but ever since he got injured he hasnt been close to the player he was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but good luck to him and I wish him well for the future !

I like that its only took Dan a  month to see who needs to move on so bye bye Berra :rifle:

I agree. I've so much time for him.

Would love him to walk out the door a good hearts man, and do a few years at a club like St Johnston. Inoffensive and a place he could captain.

Hopefully would never be Ina. Team.to beat us, but would carry on for a bit.

He gave up.a good salary to come up to us. Bit ultimately, we need to back the manager. And it feels like the right call.

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Imagine not having a single good word to say about Berra. Sad stuff.

I've got plenty nice words for Berra and plenty memories of him when he was an asset at Hearts.

That's not what we're discussing at the minute. 

Nelly Terraces

When Christophe came back he was a total rock for us, just a really outstanding player, but as others have said since his injury he's never looked half that player.

I see him quite a bit as he lives literally 1 minute from me & can assure you he's also a very grounded & down to earth fella. Also been a fantastic ambassador for Hearts. Good luck to the guy in the future but it''s probably for the better that we part ways now.

wattie exploited
Just now, JamboAndrew said:

I agree. I've so much time for him.

Would love him to walk out the door a good hearts man, and do a few years at a club like St Johnston. Inoffensive and a place he could captain.

Hopefully would never be Ina. Team.to beat us, but would carry on for a bit.

He gave up.a good salary to come up to us. Bit ultimately, we need to back the manager. And it feels like the right call.

100% a hearts man but everyone has to move on at some point :rifle:

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Just a tad harsh that comment

It may be the correct footballing decision but he deserves a little respect from the fans

Spot on. 

59 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Not sure it's necessary to make him train with the reserves, he's never been the sort to cause unrest or anything. Deserves a bit better than that imo, even if the decision to move him on may be the right one. 

When Tommy McLean made Mo Johnston train with reserves, or lower, I thought he was being a dick but unfortunately this time it is stand behind Stendel.  For Berra we will be playing a completely different game and he would be getting in the way.

1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

I believe he won’t be the only experienced player told they are free to find a new club. Obviously Whelan has already been told but there’s more to come. Trying to free up wages and space in the physio’s room.

Bozanic, Maclean, Zlamal and Whelan hopefully. 

Naismith would surprise me to an extent. 

Players have always been a commodity for for clubs. That’s the reality and Berra knows that. Happened quicker than I thought it would but as others said he hasn’t been the same since his injury. 

8 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I find it a disrespectful term, when the real reason he's suffered in form is injuries and being part of a pretty shite team.

For example, we have quite a few players who aren't good enough at this level who don't have injuries to cite as an excuse.

Berra has had to play this season and last with absolute DONKEYS behind him in goals. Not one of whom have been shown the door yet. 

Jambo 4 Ever
3 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Bozanic, Maclean, Zlamal and Whelan hopefully. 

Naismith would surprise me to an extent. 

Doyle 

I have nothing but the upmost regard for Christophe but I think the injury against Celtic has finished him. From a purely footballing angle it is the correct decision and I wish CB all the best for the future.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Berra has had to play this season and last with absolute DONKEYS behind him in goals. Not one of whom have been shown the door yet

indeed.

1 minute ago, obua said:

At least give him five minutes to put his stamp on the team.

It was just a bit of humour mate. 

Although the honeymoon won’t last forever. 

Jambof3tornado
27 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Good guy but should never have been offered an extension in the summer. Good luck to him.

This. Harsh but true.

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Berra has had to play this season and last with absolute DONKEYS behind him in goals. Not one of whom have been shown the door yet. 

Give him time.  He's just appointed a goalkeeping coach remember.

13 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Absolutely no place for sentiment and I'm delighted the new boss isn't showing any. Probably a big part of the reason we're in the state we're in is down to certain character's at the club showing too much loyalty and sentiment. I dare say there's a hint of attempting to remove the remnants of it in this decision. It's football. The club moves on.

Berra was the elephant in the room. Finished. I seriously doubt we'll get him off the wage bill unfortunately.

Show the guy a little respect. 

Think he has done extremely in his 2 stints with us. 

I doubt Berra will be retiring with 18 months to go on his deal so it's find another club, pay off or honour what is asked of him while a HMFC employee.

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

When Christophe came back he was a total rock for us, just a really outstanding player, but as others have said since his injury he's never looked half that player.

I see him quite a bit as he lives literally 1 minute from me & can assure you he's also a very grounded & down to earth fella. Also been a fantastic ambassador for Hearts. Good luck to the guy in the future but it''s probably for the better that we part ways now.

You must be earning too much, Nelly.

The time to leave Hearts comes to every player and Berra’s time has come.

He’s been a fabulous asset to the club he loves it’s just one of those things 

that he just isn’t the player he was. Good luck to our Centre Back and Captain.

13 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Walker?

Naismith?

1 minute ago, Pagey said:

Walker?

Naismith?

MacLean I think. 

Can't wait to see him leave our club. 

19 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Fair enough. I don't think it's pejorative to say someone isn't good enough. It doesn't infer fault on them...or at least I wasn't intending it when I said it earlier in the thread.

Arthur Morgan
1 hour ago, Mister Dee said:

Shame for the guy, he’s been a good servant to the Club. 
He never recovered from that injury against Celtic

This.

In the end though, the right decision.

Edited by Arthur Morgan

Jambo, Goodbye

Probably on a half decent wage too. 

I've always liked Berra and wish him all the best in the future. 

The club comes first however and ultimately, this will prove to be the correct decision. (Assuming we sign a better replacement

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

Hearts man and won’t say a bad word about him but he is a liability and has cost us tons of goals this season. Finished at this level. 
Just retire Christophe, recently married and can spend more time with the rest of the family stress free. 
He has been doing the PFSA scouting courses so could get a job doing that somewhere if he wants to stay in football. 

Hmm. This only feels like a positive if we can actually find a way for him to leave in this window with a significant saving to the club (i.e. not paying a huge portion of his remaining contract or paying his wages while he is loaned out). If we fail to find a way for him to leave we are left with a highly respected senior player in the squad who is unhappy with the management. That doesn't feel like it would be great man management and has the potential to be really counter productive in the middle of a relegation dogfight.

It was a mistake to offer Berra an extra year on his contract so soon after coming back from injury last year. The worry I have is that this is a compounding mistake. I feel he could have been managed through to the summer, keeping him happy and inside the tent while still limiting his time on the pitch. If we can get him off the wage bill this window and bring someone in of better quality for less money then great, but we are a long way from that at the moment and it seems to me pretty unlikely. Far too early to be heaping praise on Stendel for this 'decisiveness' at the moment.

Dagger Is Back

Berra’s my kind of player. Brave, committed, puts his body in the way, takes a lot of physical stuff from CFs (although he’s also not shy at giving it out)

Sad if this is true and it ends this way. You’d always want to see your ‘Hearts’ players leave on a positive note. I don’t agree with training with the reserves stuff. I think a wee bit more respect was due but who knows everything that goes on behind the scenes.

He’s struggled to be fair but I still say if your defending a 1-0 lead with 20 minutes to go and they’re shelling them in, you’d want CB to be at the heart of your defence.

Tell you what, 2-1 up against Hibs in the SC with Berra in your team and they wouldn’t have equalised.

His distribution hasn’t been great but as a CH, you’re either relying on good movement in front of you, or your sitting MF to drip deep and take the ball from you.

I really hoped Whelan and Damour would have provided that, I’m sure Haring would

Hope DS hasn’t been too hasty. It takes all kinds of pieces to make a jigsaw

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Spoleto said:

Agreed. 

Berra has been "hung out to dry" by Halkett time after time. As was Clare for his sending off.

I hope there's a player in Halkett but I'm not seeing it.

Halkett has been much poorer than expected positionally and his reading of the game. He is aggressive though and 1 v 1 appears very good which may suit DS way. 

Good luck to Berra, he hasn't been the same since his injury. If we are honest with ourselves this needs to happen, I just hope we have a good replacement lined up if not its got butchers hibs written all over it😬

I feel for the guy. Hearts need fixing but the fixes aren't Berra leaving.  At least we know why he was so easy about coming back to Hearts though.  

jack D and coke

Been wanting this to happen for a wee while now but now it has I feel a little sad about it. Was a great servant to us and always welcome back. 
Thanks for all your efforts big man and good luck. 

Pants Shaton

Given this is a Sun report, I’d take it with a pinch of salt.

Berra’s days have been numbered for a while - we hung on to the hope he might work his way back to the form of 18 months ago - that hasn’t happened.

Still, he deserves to be treated with respect and being made to train with the reserves (if true) is pretty poor. 

He has never been anything other than a credit to the club he supports. 

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Halkett has been much poorer than expected positionally and his reading of the game. He is aggressive though and 1 v 1 appears very good which may suit DS way. 

Good luck to Berra, he hasn't been the same since his injury. If we are honest with ourselves this needs to happen, I just hope we have a good replacement lined up if not its got butchers hibs written all over it😬

I think with the nick of what's been going on round him in an unsettled team it's hard to judge properly. He's been paired with Berra who's lost faith in his pace so his positioning has started to err as he compensates, and Clevid who really lacks positional discipline. In combination with a very young full back still learning his position it's no surprise they aren't playing like a unit and impressing.

But Craig was good for livi and showed an understanding of the position that gives me a bit of hope for him in a team that functions better in general. 

Bridge of Djoum
33 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Fair enough. I don't think it's pejorative to say someone isn't good enough. It doesn't infer fault on them...or at least I wasn't intending it when I said it earlier in the thread.

Aye fair enough.

4 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

Given this is a Sun report, I’d take it with a pinch of salt.

Berra’s days have been numbered for a while - we hung on to the hope he might work his way back to the form of 18 months ago - that hasn’t happened.

Still, he deserves to be treated with respect and being made to train with the reserves (if true) is pretty poor. 

He has never been anything other than a credit to the club he supports. 

He's way past his sell by date - that's why he's at Hearts. 

Looks like the start of a comprehensive clear out....

The new line up at the end of the month will have to gel pretty quickly to get back to gaining points.

pettigrewsstylist

Surely not trg with reserves? Wrong on so many levels. Cant be true.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist