Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, CF11JamTart said:

I wonder too.

Or just sabre-rattling from Drakeford?

I don't know how the current local lockdowns are being enforced... other by hoping for consent. 17 of the 22 local authorities are in some kinda local lockdown .

I reckon it's just wishful thinking and will deter a few from doing it. 

I'll be working in a tier 3 area in a couple of weeks from now, but I don't live there, would it apply to me? Or do you have to be going directly there from the hot spot? Or a resident in one? Or just have passed through one?

Not that I'll be going to Wales any time soon but just an example of the complexity around it.

It's a logistical nightmare and it'll be mighty impressive if they manage to enforce it.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

manaliveits105

Despite all warnings Rangers and Celtic fans are definettly going to embarass Scotland and ruin many peoples weekend wherever they can get to in England and other parts of Scotland - I would expect us all to suffer the consequences along with the shame

but to quote the sage Ron Petr15 when his teams fans broke the law -  its just over exuberance

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, the general said:

Anyone been over to Fife for a beer since the new regulations? If so any recommendations??

I don't think there will be many people having a beer outside in the last few days :whistling:

24 minutes ago, XB52 said:

And here is the king of the flat earthers to prove my point, Absolute bonkers 

Close down other opinions, that's the spirit. In case of doubt, I refer to the SAGE committee -  nobody knows who is on it, incidentally,  who, earlier this year stated in one of their documents that "the public are not scared enough". I wonder how the present generations would have survived the Hong Kong Fluie back in 1968, which passed barely unnoticed despite 100k odd deaths, far less the Second World War, when kids went to school with gas masks.

23 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I don't think there will be many people having a beer outside in the last few days :whistling:

Some have umbrella and heaters even in Fife

25 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Close down other opinions, that's the spirit. In case of doubt, I refer to the SAGE committee -  nobody knows who is on it, incidentally,  who, earlier this year stated in one of their documents that "the public are not scared enough". I wonder how the present generations would have survived the Hong Kong Fluie back in 1968, which passed barely unnoticed despite 100k odd deaths, far less the Second World War, when kids went to school with gas masks.

Like I say, totally bonkers. You have been shown to be wrong over and over again but you just can't admit it. Past caring, bye 

Just now, XB52 said:

Like I say, totally bonkers. You have been shown to be wrong over and over again but you just can't admit it. Past caring, bye 

"Proved" to be wrong. By the Kool Aid kids? 🤣 . Good riddance

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

"Proved" to be wrong. By the Kool Aid kids? 🤣 . Good riddance

Keep on doubling down. How's the fizzing out theory going? Meant to be zero chance of catching it by now eh? Virus weakened, nobody getting ill any more. Like a common cold. No chance of any more lockdowns. 

🤡

47 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Is it this committee that nobody knows who the members are

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/scientific-advisory-group-for-emergencies-sage-coronavirus-covid-19-response-membership/list-of-participants-of-sage-and-related-sub-groups

1 hour ago, Barack said:

I don't particularly see it as some type of 1up competition. 

Merthyr Tydfil, where I live, has a 227 to 100k infection rate. Terrible yeah? Not really, when you live in the area and know the reality.

Merthyr town has 60k population, the County maybe 100k-ish total. It's very small.

The outbreaks here have been in clusters of 15-20 people. Almost exclusively in factory settings around the town. People are adhering to the guidelines quite well from what I've observed so far. Nobody here is especially concerned about it ravaging the populous.

Damned statistics,  as someone once said.

A good example of why we the public need more information on the cases that arise so we can make informed decisions. Only 20 cases, all in a care home - awful for the care home, but we know where the outbreak is. 20 cases in your local area, all spread out - need to be a bit more careful for a while. That sort of thing.

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Keep on doubling down. How's the fizzing out theory going? Meant to be zero chance of catching it by now eh? Virus weakened, nobody getting ill any more. Like a common cold. No chance of any more lockdowns. 

🤡

Nowhere near the state we were in in March /April . You sound delighted with the “

higher “ rates . 

1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

Never heard of that euphemism before, normally they just give it on the upper arm. Sounds painful.

:biggrin2:

At least he didn't get it "behind the Wheatfield".

4 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

There are still some on here to still refuse to take this seriously 

such arrogant selfish behaviour 

:smugger:

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A good example of why we the public need more information on the cases that arise so we can make informed decisions. Only 20 cases, all in a care home - awful for the care home, but we know where the outbreak is. 20 cases in your local area, all spread out - need to be a bit more careful for a while. That sort of thing.

No they won’t tell us that cause we would be less scared as we would ( most of us ) wouldn’t be at risk of death 

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:biggrin2:

At least he didn't get it "behind the Wheatfield".

😂😂

1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

No they won’t tell us that cause we would be less scared as we would ( most of us ) wouldn’t be at risk of death 

I think they reckon that not only would it take more time to compile that information, it would also cause more panic in the community (if, for example, you live in Gorgie and find out that the infection rate in Gorgie is currently sky-high), and that more precise information might end up pinpointing individuals enough to identify them.

Whatever the reason, giving us a simple infection figure for our local council, without a breakdown as to the transmission hotspots, the ages and locations (work, school, halls of residence, care home, etc.) of the folk involved, is pretty meaningless. All it allows us to do is compare the figure against other local councils and historically, without being aware of the nuances and the reality.

5 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Nowhere near the state we were in in March /April . You sound delighted with the “

higher “ rates . 

No, I'm pissed off at the rates and at the people who have been spending months trying to persuade everyone that there was no threat. The kind of attitude that has put us on the brink of another full scale ****ing lockdown. 

Nucky Thompson
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

🤡

You sound delighted 

25 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

🤡

😂😂😂

26 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

🤡

We all know where it spreads. The more scientific minded are now focussing on "k" rather than "r". The vast majority suffer no symptoms, of those who do, the vast majority have mild symptoms.  Like all respiratory viruses it affects those with underlying health issues, regardless of age. Thankfully, new treatments mean the death rate is down to 0.6%, down from 3% in June. Apologies for being pragmatic and realistic. No chance we will have another nationwide lockdown.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We all know where it spreads. The more scientific minded are now focussing on "k" rather than "r". The vast majority suffer no symptoms, of those who do, the vast majority have mild symptoms.  Like all respiratory viruses it affects those with underlying health issues, regardless of age. Thankfully, new treatments mean the death rate is down to 0.6%, down from 3% in June. Apologies for being pragmatic and realistic.

Have they stopped making the statistics up in the last ten minutes?

7 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

higher “ rates . 

You're a particularly offensive creature.   Nobody is delighted with the rising cases.   You would be best served by reigning in your offensive rhetoric.   I and others were ridiculed and shouted down when we forecast that things were likely to get bad again.   I take no validation or satisfaction whatsoever from it.   The people who shouted and ridiculed the loudest should find a backbone and give some consideration to the way they carried on.   You at the top of the list.

6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Are these deaths due to Covid or did they have Covid but died of something else?

Come on does anybody actually die of Covid it's what it triggers in the body that leads to something else killing you.I suspect you know that though.

4 hours ago, westbow said:

Don't think you have thought this through Roxy. Using the same logic we cannot criticize Trump or Boris Johnson. Or is it just the SG we cannot have a go at? Personally I think it is the sign of a robust democracy.

I've thought it through. I get fed up with all the yaboo crap in Brit politics. Critisize all you want but it's the amplification when it's Scotland. Sturgeon is nowhere near the idiocy of Trump and Johnson but they try and make it look like it's all the same and that's not democracy. 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

No, I'm pissed off at the rates and at the people who have been spending months trying to persuade everyone that there was no threat. The kind of attitude that has put us on the brink of another full scale ****ing lockdown. 

Doesn’t seem anywhere near as deadly as it was. And still only killing the old and vulnerable. While that is tragic the vast majority of the population aren’t at risk of death. 

Could argue whether or not that is enough of a reason to cause the economic implications that are coming from restrictions but that is a matter of opinion I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Have they stopped making the statistics up in the last ten minutes?

I've never heard a member of those in charge mentioning this figure. It was quoted by IDS. They have previously counted those who recovered from Covid, as Covid deaths. They used to use the same trick for hospital admissions, despite 25% of the admissions already being patients. They also use tests that are a "bit rubbish".  But, you bash on with your devoted trust in all the "official" figures.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Never knew that.

I knew there was a different one for those that are allergic to eggs.

Flu vaccine ingredients

There are several types of injected flu vaccine. None of them contains live viruses so they are called inactivated vaccines.

If you're eligible for the flu vaccine on the NHS, you'll be offered one that's most effective for you, depending on your age:

• adults aged 18 to 64 – there are different types, including low-egg and egg-free ones
  • adults aged 65 and over – the most common one contains an extra ingredient to help your immune system make a stronger response to the vaccine

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I've never heard a member of those in charge mentioning this figure. It was quoted by IDS. They have previously counted those who recovered from Covid, as Covid deaths. They used to use the same trick for hospital admissions, despite 25% of the admissions already being patients. They also use tests that are a "bit rubbish".  But, you bash on with your devoted trust in all the "official" figures.

Is the virus still weakening? 

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

It appears to be weaker than it was. Evidence from some frontline doctors would suggest that. I can't think of any other disease that has an asymptomatic rate of 80%, deaths are well down, compared to cases, from earlier in the year. 

The Real Maroonblood
51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Flu vaccine ingredients

There are several types of injected flu vaccine. None of them contains live viruses so they are called inactivated vaccines.

If you're eligible for the flu vaccine on the NHS, you'll be offered one that's most effective for you, depending on your age:

• adults aged 18 to 64 – there are different types, including low-egg and egg-free ones
  • adults aged 65 and over – the most common one contains an extra ingredient to help your immune system make a stronger response to the vaccine

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/

Thanks JJ for the information. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
59 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Seems to have weakened a little.  The number is way lower at present due to the age group been younger than before with no mass deaths in care homes etc like we had in spring. Add to this better NHS practices and drugs found that aid recovery in about 30% of cases then it looks way better. But the infected rates are higher(or testing has just made it seem so) and if the NHS gets overstretched like spring the % of infected dying will rise.

Nucky Thompson
36 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'll take that as a mibbie. 

I posted the other day about a vulnerable 75 year old woman who was getting interviewed in a Blackpool hospital.

She was shielding during the first wave but caught it and survived in the 2nd wave.

It might be weakening, it might be better treatments, it might be that the doctors have a better understanding of it, but vulnerable people are now having a better chance of survival 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Away and bile yer p*** , talking absolute bollocks . The virus was always going to come back after any lockdown , those people arguing against lockdown were arguing about the long term effects of it not its short term positives . You seem delighted with the low numbers and they are low compared to March /April no matter how u try and spin it . 

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I posted the other day about a vulnerable 75 year old woman who was getting interviewed in a Blackpool hospital.

She was shielding during the first wave but caught it and survived in the 2nd wave.

It might be weakening, it might be better treatments, it might be that the doctors have a better understanding of it, but vulnerable people are now having a better chance of survival 

Vulnerable people have a better chance of survival due to science. 😉

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We all know where it spreads. The more scientific minded are now focussing on "k" rather than "r". The vast majority suffer no symptoms, of those who do, the vast majority have mild symptoms.  Like all respiratory viruses it affects those with underlying health issues, regardless of age. Thankfully, new treatments mean the death rate is down to 0.6%, down from 3% in June. Apologies for being pragmatic and realistic. No chance we will have another nationwide lockdown.

Well

said . Yes the death rate is probably even lower than that and fir the majority of people not an issue . It’s a shame that wee Nicky can’t stomach to tell the real truth that it’s a deadly disease for a very very small minority of the population . 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

You're a particularly offensive creature.   Nobody is delighted with the rising cases.   You would be best served by reigning in your offensive rhetoric.   I and others were ridiculed and shouted down when we forecast that things were likely to get bad again.   I take no validation or satisfaction whatsoever from it.   The people who shouted and ridiculed the loudest should find a backbone and give some consideration to the way they carried on.   You at the top of the list.

No deaths yesterday , 15 today ! It’s hardly the same as March\ April you condescending nit wit ! More testing more infections ! I believe u said it would be Much worse about this time ? But ill

need to check . 

3 hours ago, the general said:

Anyone been over to Fife for a beer since the new regulations? If so any recommendations??

Ummm where you travelling from?

3 hours ago, the general said:

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Ummm where you travelling from?

Don't tell him you're travelling from Edinburgh, Pike!

33 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Away and bile yer p*** , talking absolute bollocks . The virus was always going to come back after any lockdown , those people arguing against lockdown were arguing about the long term effects of it not its short term positives . You seem delighted with the low numbers and they are low compared to March /April no matter how u try and spin it . 

Ummm no

its the selfish attitude of some who are not taking this seriously and not sticking to the rules - they are the ones who are selfish twits 

An interesting graph in this article comparing deaths in the last weeks to those in March and April. At its peak in April there were 109 deaths so we have a long way to go to reach that. Heres hoping we dont and we are at its peak now .. 

"Almost 77% of all deaths involving Covid-19 up until 11 October were of people aged 75 or over.

The virus has caused the death of 29 people aged under 45, but no-one under 15 years old has died from Covid-19 in Scotland, according to the NRS.

Of all deaths involving Covid-19 in Scotland, 2,162 were women and 2,139 were men." 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52214177

Edited by JamesM48

28 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Ummm no

its the selfish attitude of some who are not taking this seriously and not sticking to the rules - they are the ones who are selfish twits 

Not so sure about that. Maybe more a mismanagement such as allowing students back on campuses which should really have been predicted. Not at all blaming students. I dont go into the blame game.  

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Not so sure about that. Maybe more a mismanagement such as allowing students back on campuses which should really have been predicted. Not at all blaming students. I dont go into the blame game.  

And too many people not taking it seriously 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic