Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

joondalupjambo
25 minutes ago, westbow said:

My wife got an appointment at a chemist in penicuik, it was changed to a stop smoking appointment somewhat randomly, then cancelled completely.  Chemist wouldn't take calls to give another date. Shambles.

I think Chemists offered to help out the NHS Health Boards, possibly seeing an opportunity to earn some extra cash for their businesses then got over run and their staff now all gone stroppy. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not so handy for Mr and Mrs Zywicki. ;)

LOL i actually had a wee laugh walking down to Tynie thinking about anyone with a surname beginning with X or Z 

7 minutes ago, Barack said:

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight in the supermarkets, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender..."

:pleasing:

20201014_153058.jpg

Drakeford did threating he'd do this, but BoJo wouldn't listen to the warnings.

Heartsmad1874
Just now, joondalupjambo said:

I think Chemists offered to help out the NHS Health Boards, possibly seeing an opportunity to earn some extra cash for their businesses then got over run and their staff now all gone stroppy. 

Went past the chemist earlier at Colinton Mains queue was stretched back past the bus stop! Wondered if maybe thats what they were waiting on 🤷🏻‍♂️ Never usually busy at lunch when i pass.

joondalupjambo
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly the same in the Borders, the over 65's got a letter then had to call a number, which was always engaged, it took some people 3 or 4 days or more to get through and then were given an appointment for weeks away, the old guy next door to me is getting his jab at the end of October.

The under 65's however (my group), were being contacted by phone directly from their GP practice, and given an appointment over the phone, I got my jab at the end of September just over 2 weeks ago.

The chief of NHS Borders had to apoligize as well, funny enough NHS Borders were unprepared for the demand as well.

Interesting.  Sounds as though a general problem with a central booking system. Pays to be young in the Borders😃😃

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Wales stopping those from other areas of UK with high rates of COVID entering the country. No idea how they plan to do that.

Concrete tank traps?  

Will it not just be as easy as they did in Italy?  Road blocks and a big policeman with a gun?

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Wales stopping those from other areas of UK with high rates of COVID entering the country. No idea how they plan to do that.

It's a strange one, border control isn't a devolved power.

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

LOL i actually had a wee laugh walking down to Tynie thinking about anyone with a surname beginning with X or Z 

I bet you are thankful you got the jab at Tynie, dread to think what would be in the vial if it had been across the town at fester. 

38 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

A wee hijack here, sorry.  How did you get the appointment, did you phone a central number?  

Here if Fife the FHB central number is continually busy and has been like that since my mother got her letter from them.  Apparently they are not prepared and apologized publicly

I cannot get her a jab anywhere, she is 91 and apparently in the high priority category.

Local chemist was doing it in Leven but they are fully booked and said I just need to keep phoning to get a free slot, painful like I can sit on the phone all day.

A 91 one year old not getting a jab is a big risk.

I wonder if you can drive her to another health board area if appointments are easier to get?

Hi bit of a saga regarding mine. I initially contacted my surgery and they said information would come via their website for times and dates.  I looked on the site and they had the dates on it.  However i also got a letter from NHS which i thought was just one of those generic ones and just ripped it up and binned in.

However i called the surgery today and they said there was a number on the letter i had to call to find out what times I needed to be there due to my surname. So i then had to empty my dirty bin and search for said letter ! Mucky as hell. I found a number to call and the guy was really helpful and advised to report at Tynie today or tomorrow at 1 - 2 or next Wednesday or Thursday. The number to call is 0800 224488 . Id give it a call . 

3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Interesting.  Sounds as though a general problem with a central booking system. Pays to be young in the Borders😃😃

Overwhelmed by all accounts, the NHS boss down here said that they'd sent out thousands of letters, they just didn't think that everyone would be trying to book an appointment at the same time though.

31 minutes ago, graygo said:

Fair doos mate, Sainsbury's will have better standards than Asda to be fair.

Oh very true. Asda has horrendous food. I remember I got one of their ready meal " Lasagna" and it was like soup.  Foul.

4 minutes ago, Barack said:

" So who do think you are kidding Mr. Johnson, if you think old Wales is done..."

Volunteered for sniper school at the border already.

Good man, I've got my spade ready to lay land mines along the border, if Scotland follows suit.  👍

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It is strange how all the stats go up at or around the time new restrictions are introduced.

It's almost as if restrictions are in reaction to rising numbers or something. Really strange.

11 minutes ago, Barack said:

" So who do think you are kidding Mr. Johnson, if you think old Wales is done..."

Volunteered for sniper school at the border already.

Get them to pronounce Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch.

If they can't, get them in the stockade.

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I expect we will see SG announce similar now,. Part of plan will probably be the reinstatement of Hadrians walls to ensure its enforcement ansd keep those pesky Englanders out and OF fans in.

If we reinstate it after the OF match, we could keep the OF fans from returning from watching the match in England too. Job done.

6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's almost as if restrictions are in reaction to rising numbers or something. Really strange.

Crazy! ;) 

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I expect we will see SG announce similar now,. Part of plan will probably be the reinstatement of Hadrians walls to ensure its enforcement ansd keep those pesky Englanders out and OF fans in.

Of course, you do know that Hadrian's Wall is entirely inside England and runs from Carlisle to Wallsend outside Newcastle.

More territory is always nice but that lot are covid ridden messes.

Not sure we want to take them under our wing.

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's almost as if they change the way they count the "cases" and other stats just to cattle prod the public into compliance. Really strange

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

16 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Can we not let the OF fans out and then build it?

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Get them to pronounce Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch.

If they can't, get them in the stockade.

I can do that. 

:smugger:

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If we reinstate it after the OF match, we could keep the OF fans from returning from watching the match in England too. Job done.

Now that's a plan. 👍

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's almost as if they change the way they count the "cases" and other stats just to cattle prod the public into compliance. Really strange

It's definitely not the case that your prophecies have been proven wrong again. It has to be shenanigans.

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Can we not let the OF fans out and then build it?

I really need to read to the end of a thread before posting.

44 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Drakeford did threating he'd do this, but BoJo wouldn't listen to the warnings.

Unfortunately Wales have higher infection rates than England but it will get the Welsh singing. 

Close the borders, lockdown for a month or until the virus is under control and keep the borders closed with internal travel between the UK allowed and outbound flights for folk wanting to return home only. What’s the point in all these restrictions when in in a month the virus will be prevalent again? The tourist industry would be fine with folk choosing to staycation instead. Wait this virus out. Then open everything back up. None of this half arsed stuff. I want to live my life again. Couldn’t give a rats arse about going away abroad atm

All this mask wearing, semi lockdowns and social distancing policy is clearly failing. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Unfortunately Wales have higher infection rates than England but it will get the Welsh singing. 

A certain Welsh based poster would know more about that then me.

I'd imagine that some places in Wales would have lower infection rates then some places in England and some places in England will have lower infection rates than some places in Scotland, and vice versa.

14 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I hope you never argued in favour of regionalised air corridors or local restrictions, because that would be hypocritical. ;) Local focus is where it is at now, not the comparison of national data.

The Welsh are trying to restrict folk coming from the most infected areas in England. How feasible that would be to achieve is another matter though. Not very feasible I would imagine.

Even then, you're wrong (current data from Travelling Tabby for the last 7 days):

207225887_Screenshotat2020-10-1416-36-18.png.4e2556be688a2326c51bf6c11f771fe0.png

It's just so easy on the internet to come out with phrases like "Wales have higher infection rates than England". You don't need to justify them and folk just assume they're the truth. A few quotes later, and that "truth" becomes more solid, doesn't it? ;)

Edited by redjambo

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'd imagine that some places in Wales would have lower infection rates then some places in England and some places in England will have lower infection rates than some places in Scotland, and vice versa.

Yeah, you're right of course, I was just looking at average. Clearly the problem is around Liverpool but how you do anything about that when huge numbers of scousers are in and out of Wales all the time. Manchester and Newcastle are totally ****ed, in terms of infections anyway. I can't really understand why people are travelling for anything but essential purposes right now.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

:spoton:

24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's definitely not the case that your prophecies have been proven wrong again. It has to be shenanigans.

As they say in the States, "Keep drinking the Kool Aid"

1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Went past the chemist earlier at Colinton Mains queue was stretched back past the bus stop! Wondered if maybe thats what they were waiting on 🤷🏻‍♂️ Never usually busy at lunch when i pass.

They were. Passed at 8.30am this morning on my to Tesco and there were 7-8 folk queuing outside for 9am opening as it was announced that the chemist would be giving out flu jabs to over 65's today under under 65's tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Imagine NS did that. She'd be an anti English xenophobe. Good luck to them. 

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I hope you never argued in favour of regionalised air corridors or local restrictions, because that would be hypocritical. ;) Local focus is where it is at now, not the comparison of national data.

The Welsh are trying to restrict folk coming from the most infected areas in England. How feasible that would be to achieve is another matter though. Not very feasible I would imagine.

Even then, you're wrong (current data from Travelling Tabby for the last 7 deays):

207225887_Screenshotat2020-10-1416-36-18.png.4e2556be688a2326c51bf6c11f771fe0.png

It's just so easy on the internet to come out with phrases like "Wales have higher infection rates than England". You don't need to justify them and folk just assume they're the truth. A few quotes later, and that "truth" becomes more solid, doesn't it? ;)

We'll I'm looking at the average per 100k but I'm sure the travelling Tabby is much more accurate and informative. The big problem Wales have is the proximity to Liverpool although I'm sure Manchester is also something they're looking at. As I said in the other post its a mute point because who would be travelling to or from these areas unless they had to anyway.

9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yeah, you're right of course, I was just looking at average. Clearly the problem is around Liverpool but how you do anything about that when huge numbers of scousers are in and out of Wales all the time. Manchester and Newcastle are totally ****ed, in terms of infections anyway. I can't really understand why people are travelling for anything but essential purposes right now.

Nothing that I would disagree with here.

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

I don't particularly see it as some type of 1up competition. 

Merthyr Tydfil, where I live, has a 227 to 100k infection rate. Terrible yeah? Not really, when you live in the area and know the reality.

Merthyr town has 60k population, the County maybe 100k-ish total. It's very small.

The outbreaks here have been in clusters of 15-20 people. Almost exclusively in factory settings around the town. People are adhering to the guidelines quite well from what I've observed so far. Nobody here is especially concerned about it ravaging the populous.

Damned statistics,  as someone once said.

That was my assumption about Merthyr. Headline figure looks horrific, but there more to it than that.

No idea how Drakeford plans to implement this. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

it was just your name, address  dob and medical practice.  Apparently there are two different flu jabs . One is for the over 65s and the other is under 65.  

Never knew that.

I knew there was a different one for those that are allergic to eggs.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

I don't particularly see it as some type of 1up competition. 

Merthyr Tydfil, where I live, has a 227 to 100k infection rate. Terrible yeah? Not really, when you live in the area and know the reality.

Merthyr town has 60k population, the County maybe 100k-ish total. It's very small.

The outbreaks here have been in clusters of 15-20 people. Almost exclusively in factory settings around the town. People are adhering to the guidelines quite well from what I've observed so far. Nobody here is especially concerned about it ravaging the populous.

Damned statistics,  as someone once said.

That helps to put things in perspective, particularly when part of the  the narrative paints a picture of "irresponsible behaviour from drunken louts". 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Never knew that.

I knew there was a different one for those that are allergic to eggs.

Yes she did ask me if i had any allergies. Never in my weirdist dreams did i think I would be getting a flu jab on the Wheatfield concourse...it was slightly surreal.

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

It could be worse. You've never visited the Rhondda I assume...😬

Or Newport.

My wee daughter got sent up to Tonypandy for her covid test. A wee day out up the Rhondda valley. 

Edited by CF11JamTart

7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

What about those that don’t want to go to the pub, are happy to wear masks, want there chill to go to school, but really like going away to the sun as a family?

Fair enough you have a point. However I think there isn’t many options left really. We have tried to contain the virus by enforcing restrictions and taking away people’s freedoms but it hasn’t worked (we will wait see if the recent restrictions have an effect)  

At least with the borders closed we can get on with our lives. Do our bit for the environment at the same time.

Unless you actually enjoy constant uncertainty and disruption to life I can’t see any other option if herd immunity is out of the question. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And here is the king of the flat earthers to prove my point, Absolute bonkers 

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes she did ask me if i had any allergies. Never in my weirdist dreams did i think I would be getting a flu jab on the Wheatfield concourse...it was slightly surreal.

Never heard of that euphemism before, normally they just give it on the upper arm. Sounds painful.

4 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Never heard of that euphemism before, normally they just give it on the upper arm. Sounds painful.

ch.JPG

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It'll be really interesting to see how they enforce the travel to Wales from 'hot spots'.

I wonder what they're plan is for it.

I wonder too.

Or just sabre-rattling from Drakeford?

I don't know how the current local lockdowns are being enforced... other by hoping for consent. 17 of the 22 local authorities are in some kinda local lockdown .

4 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Be thankful its not the undercroft. :shockio:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic