Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nicola Sturgeon tells Sky News that there is "A very significant risk that the virus could run out of control again"

Dominic Raab tells Sky News that we are at a "precarious" and "sensitive" situation with the virus.

And Professor Jonathan Van Tam said yesterday that Britain faces a "very dangerious moment" just now.

And we are still easing the lock-down, what possibly could go wrong............tits.............up...................and pear shaped spring to mind.

might be true but those are all messages to the public to act responsibility - encourage or through fear they need the public to continue to do their bit - they had folk believing there would be millions dead and bodies in the street a few weeks ago

do people still believe politicians at face value - surely not

think its safe to say though that unless you want a go at covid roulette folk need to social distance

pear-shaped or not full lockdown is finished - possibly regional lockdown or tinkering but it’s all about the economy now

lockdown has done the job it was implemented to do

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Here's something that's strange about 2 of my mates (There's lots strange right enough!)

Mate number 1:  Goes to the 6 Nations France game with his dad, few days later feels utterly 5hite then he's in bed for 12 days solid with suspected COVID, his work react by sending all non-critical staff to work from home and this continues until the official government shut down - i spoke to him from a distance after dropping food off at his door as he has a wife and a 2 year old so helped them out - he looked and sounded sooooooo bad, everybody convinced he's been floored by it.

Mate number 2:  He's in Italy skiing at it's peak, comes home to his wife and 2 year old and a week later doesn't feel ideal, he works from home and isolates then we go into lock down, he when he was feeling unwell he still had to look after his daughter while his wife worked, so total contact with them both.

Mate number 1 has just been provided with 12 testing kits from his employer, the results of himself, his wife and his daughter test negative.

Mate number 2 was given 3 kits from mate number 1 - mate number 2 tests positive but his wife and daughter test negative even after being in lock down with him during his time of feeling unwell.

*If the test kits are even slightly reliable - how come somebody with COVID has isolated with his wife and child and he's not passed it on?  "I was blowing on her food most nights and kissed her at bedtime every night ..."

just because you are exposed to it does not mean you will catch it. some people will be lucky enough to be that way. an parallel could be we all know smoking causes cancer, both my parents smoked for i think 20 years (40 a day) neither have had cancer. The point i am making is exposure to an infected person or persons will only increase your chances of catching it, it does not mean you will catch it.

Jambo-Jimbo
49 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

might be true but those are all messages to the public to act responsibility - encourage or through fear they need the public to continue to do their bit - they had folk believing there would be millions dead and bodies in the street a few weeks ago

do people still believe politicians at face value - surely not

think its safe to say though that unless you want a go at covid roulette folk need to social distance

pear-shaped or not full lockdown is finished - possibly regional lockdown or tinkering but it’s all about the economy now

lockdown has done the job it was implemented to do

Did they? 

I must have missed that.

manaliveits105

Labour scour the party for anybody that might have broke lockdown rules and Rosie Duffield puts her hand up 

I visited my boyfriend so I will resign so that we can continue to bring up Dominic Cummings - pathetic 

draw a line and move on wee team 

There is a danger of the lockdown going too far/too long and especially with our first minister

She is beginning to show fear in getting it wrong and is now going too far in that safety first approach...business and employment are vital for us but she seems not to take that into account.

We still have this 2 metre distance barrier which was never required in the first place and should be reduced to 1 metre now.....this would allow quite a few businesses to reopen

Claims of a new outbreak seem to be on the agenda from UK and Scottish government yet there are no new outbreaks in other countries..   The UK governments are simply looking at their image and not the well being of the nation

32 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

There is a danger of the lockdown going too far/too long and especially with our first minister

She is beginning to show fear in getting it wrong and is now going too far in that safety first approach...business and employment are vital for us but she seems not to take that into account.

We still have this 2 metre distance barrier which was never required in the first place and should be reduced to 1 metre now.....this would allow quite a few businesses to reopen

Claims of a new outbreak seem to be on the agenda from UK and Scottish government yet there are no new outbreaks in other countries..   The UK governments are simply looking at their image and not the well being of the nation

South Korea have just shut their schools again, because of a new outbreak. Japan had a second outbreak too. 

John Gentleman
33 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

It depends on what is defined as an outbreak. There's diffuse outbreaks and confined outbreaks (cluster/hotspot). Either way, they're still occurring globally.

The Internet

It's inevitable that lockdown had to be eased but to me it seems like the UK doesn't have a handle on this like other countries do. Nowhere near really. Do we even know how many active cases there are here? 

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Claims of a new outbreak seem to be on the agenda from UK and Scottish government yet there are no new outbreaks in other countries..   The UK governments are simply looking at their image and not the well being of the nation.

South Korea postpones school reopening due to new outbreak: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/29/global-report-philippines-opens-up-despite-record-cases-as-asia-struggles

Renewed outbreaks in South Korea, Germany and China show continued risk as more countries seek to reopen: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/11/asia/china-south-korea-coronavirus-reopening-intl-hnk/index.html

Edit: another article where it mentions "Weeks after reopening the schools and days after letting restaurants get back to business, Israel reported more than 100 new cases on Friday, the level that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had warned would prompt the reinstatement of a strict lockdown." - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/world/coronavirus-update.html

Edited by redjambo

Francis Albert

The Mail is much detested as a fascist rag. But on Monday and most of this week like that other demon of the left  the Telegraph it has been fiercely critical of Cummings and Johnson, IMO more tellingly than the Guardian and Mirrors exuberant gloating. Today the Mail reveals that the Guardians headline breaking the story "Police Spoke  to Cummings about lockdown breach" was untrue. And remember the story of his disputed second visit "Cummings Broke Lockdown Twice" (Mirror)? One of the witnesses to that  has admitted that it was a "joke" and that he doctored details on an App to showing  his own movements to lend credence to the second visit story

I stand by my first comment on this scandal - both Cummings actions and Johnson's inaction are indefencible.

But as ever don't believe everything you read in our awful media.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Did they? 

I must have missed that.

yeah you’ve missed it

even on this thread there was similar talk - 20,000 dead a day in uk millions dead in USA

have a wee look over social media it was the end of the world 

(not to down play the devastation this has brought and may continue to do so particularly via the economy)

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's inevitable that lockdown had to be eased but to me it seems like the UK doesn't have a handle on this like other countries do. Nowhere near really. Do we even know how many active cases there are here? 

No, because we don't have any proper testing in place.

The Government has decided that it's had enough now so everybody is being gently pushed back to normal even though covid-19 is still rife.

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Cade said:

The Government has decided that it's had enough now so everybody is being gently pushed back to normal even though covid-19 is still rife.

Its desperation to move the news agenda on. 

There is a very real risk that there could be an uptick in the virus over the next few weeks. 

Its a hell of a gamble by a government and prime minister that have basically called every single move in controlling the virus wrong so far. 

I think Johnson has gone 'all in' and will be hoping for the best.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Countless times the government have made reference to the fact that NHS capacity was greatly increased (true) and that it was never "overwhelmed" by demand (open to interpretation).    This comment has featured heavily and continues to.    The fairly safe assumption to draw from it is that an ongoing,   perhaps protracted,   period of time of supply > demand will = tolerated,   accepted situation.    As long as the NHS can cope,   the government will not have to put the brakes back on.

We know the economy has to returned to a productive new normal.    There's no real argument against it.    We'll just have to hope the government can allow the pot to simmer along just under boiling pot instead of the pot boiling over again.     

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

South Korea postpones school reopening due to new outbreak: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/29/global-report-philippines-opens-up-despite-record-cases-as-asia-struggles

Renewed outbreaks in South Korea, Germany and China show continued risk as more countries seek to reopen: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/11/asia/china-south-korea-coronavirus-reopening-intl-hnk/index.html

Edit: another article where it mentions "Weeks after reopening the schools and days after letting restaurants get back to business, Israel reported more than 100 new cases on Friday, the level that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had warned would prompt the reinstatement of a strict lockdown." - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/world/coronavirus-update.html

WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER AN OUTBREAK ?.....there has been no new outbreak on the scale it first arrived and your quotes are from 3 weeks ago with no outbreak since

There were over 20,000 schools and only 8 to 900 did not reopen in South Korea...I don't consider the new cases a second wave  indeed they have been traced and all the schools are in the Seoul area....the 'outbreak ' was from a night club

You are deluding yourself if you think there will not be a rise in deaths/cases as in Israel's easing of restrictions or indeed other countries lifting of said restrictions

I'm sorry but we are never going to reach a zero figure (until a working vaccine comes around) so we will have to work with the knowledge people will die.

The majority of people have had enough and if you don't want to run a risk then continue to self isolate but you cannot expect others to continue forever with restrictions if they are not a carrier or have no signs of a virus.

Posts have mentioned covid being rife...if 2% to 3% currently is rife then fine but it's hardly rife to most people...we don't even have accurate figures to make a real judgement

You either self isolate until you are happy but there is a point when you cannot expect the vast majority to do so...and I'm sorry if that comes over as heartless but it is the reality

Just now, CJGJ said:

WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER AN OUTBREAK ?.....there has been no new outbreak on the scale it first arrived and your quotes are from 3 weeks ago with no outbreak since

There were over 20,000 schools and only 8 to 900 did not reopen in South Korea...I don't consider the new cases a second wave  indeed they have been traced and all the schools are in the Seoul area....the 'outbreak ' was from a night club

You are deluding yourself if you think there will not be a rise in deaths/cases as in Israel's easing of restrictions or indeed other countries lifting of said restrictions

I'm sorry but we are never going to reach a zero figure (until a working vaccine comes around) so we will have to work with the knowledge people will die.

The majority of people have had enough and if you don't want to run a risk then continue to self isolate but you cannot expect others to continue forever with restrictions if they are not a carrier or have no signs of a virus.

Posts have mentioned covid being rife...if 2% to 3% currently is rife then fine but it's hardly rife to most people...we don't even have accurate figures to make a real judgement

You either self isolate until you are happy but there is a point when you cannot expect the vast majority to do so...and I'm sorry if that comes over as heartless but it is the reality

What do you consider an outbreak? You did not bother defining the term in your original statement, certainly not as " on the scale it first arrived". You are now attempting to wriggle out of your original comment.

The first and third links I posted were from 29 May, 2 days ago.

I like everyone to have their own views, based on fact and well thought out opinion. However folk like you who play loose with the facts grind my gears. At least try to research what you say before you say it.

If you want lockdown relaxed then by all means come out and say so, but please don't hide behind fake facts.

Just now, redjambo said:

What do you consider an outbreak? You did not bother defining the term in your original statement, certainly not as " on the scale it first arrived". You are now attempting to wriggle out of your original comment.

The first and third links I posted were from 29 May, 2 days ago.

I like everyone to have their own views, based on fact and well thought out opinion. However folk like you who play loose with the facts grind my gears. At least try to research what you say before you say it.

If you want lockdown relaxed then by all means come out and say so, but please don't hide behind fake facts.

Nonsense...……...your failure to understand is your failure not mine

I do not consider a second wave to be one where they know where a spike has come from and how..if we were seeing a consistent rise every day over more than a few days then it might be considered as a second wave but that has not happened so no new second wave

I want lockdown eased but I'm not going to be held responsible for people catching the virus because they did not self isolate

Like it or not many people are responsible because they did not follow the guidance..we all seemingly followed the rules..we know we did not all follow them to the letter.

So get your gears checked out and next time try to stop your accusations with your nonsense 'folk like you' rubbish...truly your failure to understand posts worries me but given your past record not exactly a surprise. You only like people having their own opinion if it matches yours so a bit of a hypocrite as well

Harsh though it sounds perhaps you should self isolate to save us all the problem of worrying if 'we' pass anything to you but if you have followed the rules that won't be an issue ..after all you have done that over the last 10 weeks...……...haven't you ?

One last thing the good news for me is not having to use you as a source for facts given your failure to understand just what is fact or fiction

4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

One last thing the good news for me is not having to use you as a source for facts given your failure to understand just what is fact or fiction

If anyone ever asks me what irony is, I'll just point them at this line in your post. :smile:

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nicola Sturgeon tells Sky News that there is "A very significant risk that the virus could run out of control again"

Dominic Raab tells Sky News that we are at a "precarious" and "sensitive" situation with the virus.

And Professor Jonathan Van Tam said yesterday that Britain faces a "very dangerious moment" just now.

And we are still easing the lock-down, what possibly could go wrong............tits.............up...................and pear shaped spring to mind.

The reality is we are never gonna stop the virus , but may be able to manage it so it doesn't overwhelm the NHS.  The lockdown has helped that , but I very much doubt there will as stringent lockdowns as the one we are currently enduring. The Govt policy is in effect herd immunity by the back door ( always has been really)  As long as the NHS does not get overwhelmed the Govt will see the deaths as collateral damage. 

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The reality is we are never gonna stop the virus , but may be able to manage it so it doesn't overwhelm the NHS.  The lockdown has helped that , but I very much doubt there will as stringent lockdowns as the one we are currently enduring. The Govt policy is in effect herd immunity by the back door ( always has been really)  As long as the NHS does not get overwhelmed the Govt will see the deaths as collateral damage. 

:spoton:

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

yeah you’ve missed it

even on this thread there was similar talk - 20,000 dead a day in uk millions dead in USA

have a wee look over social media it was the end of the world 

(not to down play the devastation this has brought and may continue to do so particularly via the economy)

Well I certainly must have missed 20,000 daily UK deaths being mentioned on here or even similar numbers.

Social media, I assume you mean Facebook & Twitter, if so, no thanks, I'll give that crap a miss if it's alright, full of nutters & crazies so I've heard.

The Internet

Yeah, at some point probably quite early on it was decided that the only goal is to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed. Anything above complete collapse of the health system is deemed a success.

Jambo-Jimbo
46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Of course it was and not just by the UK but every government in the World, management of the infection rate of the virus was the only game in town, it was the only tool in the box that we could use to prevent our NHS being overwhelmed.

It's not so much 'Herd Immunity' by the back door, it's more like managed immunity, in stages preferably, with the trick being that you prevent the virus from running out of control, and that is something I don't have any faith in this Government in doing, I hope I'm wrong and if so I'll be the first to hold my hands up and admit it, but I have grave doubts that the government can act quick enough when an outbreak flairs up and that could lead to it getting out of control and lead to further lock-downs.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
46 minutes ago, Cade said:

looks very dramatic but with 50000 deaths per month its the equivalent of mays unfortunate folk dying a month early - do we know the numbers for may? how many of subsequent months deaths will have died a month or two early in may? Obviously at the end of your life getting every last  month or 3 is very important

all things being equal subsequent months would see a drop in deaths as some folk have already gone

obviously all things are not equal as for example a cancer specialist on sky news was saying he’s only seeing a fraction of the cases he normally would due to some stuff being on hold / folk not coming forward and expects a not insignificant number of people to die who may have been saved in normal times

That's the thing about data; it's blind and lacks any kind of context.

Whether or not we'll see a dip below the usual monthly death toll in the next few months remains to be seen.

That may point to people who may have died anyways during the year dying slightly earlier due to Covid-19.

Or it may continue at this rate.

How many people died due to preventable causes but did not seek medical attention is another context which will be investigated.

All we know is that that data says that in the last month, we've seen a HUGE increase in deaths.

And this is despite a (half arsed) lockdown being in force.

Enzo Chiefo
13 hours ago, CJGJ said:

The latest estimate in Scotland of current cases was 19000, according to Sturgeon last week, down from 25k the week before. That represents 0.3% of the population. Hospital numbers are down every day and it's clear that the virus is burning itself out. Talk of "second waves" can be translated to mean "pockets of new infections" and earlier scientific predictions of 80% being infected and 60% herd immunity has been proven to be arrant nonsense.  Unfortunately,  that modelling shaped a lot of govt policy early on, including the removal of hundreds of elderly people from hospitals into care homes. Time to slowly move back to normal, not a new normal, just normal.

The Internet

The virus doesn't 'burn itself out'. People are keeping away from each other which is causing less transmission. 

Enzo Chiefo
56 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The virus doesn't 'burn itself out'. People are keeping away from each other which is causing less transmission. 

That's how it will disappear.  Arguably, regardless of lockdown or not, it has a shelf life.

AlimOzturk
32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's how it will disappear.  Arguably, regardless of lockdown or not, it has a shelf life.

Not sure if you are correct about that or not and would like to read some sources if you have them?

Regardless if this was the some folk wouldn't want to read or believe it. For some reason, folk don't want to read about the Coronavirus dying out or reducing in numbers. The doom and gloom is rife and for some reason it would seem that some are relishing this current situation. Why? I have no idea. 

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not sure if you are correct about that or not and would like to read some sources if you have them?

Regardless if this was the some folk wouldn't want to read or believe it. For some reason, folk don't want to read about the Coronavirus dying out or reducing in numbers. The doom and gloom is rife and for some reason it would seem that some are relishing this current situation. Why? I have no idea. 

Perhaps some are also those religious types, who pray for the end of the World, just so as Jesus can come and they can go to heaven.

You've dealt with joe public so you should know that there is nothing stranger than people.

JudyJudyJudy
15 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Of course it was and not just by the UK but every government in the World, management of the infection rate of the virus was the only game in town, it was the only tool in the box that we could use to prevent our NHS being overwhelmed.

It's not so much 'Herd Immunity' by the back door, it's more like managed immunity, in stages preferably, with the trick being that you prevent the virus from running out of control, and that is something I don't have any faith in this Government in doing, I hope I'm wrong and if so I'll be the first to hold my hands up and admit it, but I have grave doubts that the government can act quick enough when an outbreak flairs up and that could lead to it getting out of control and lead to further lock-downs.

I agree. The Govt are just throwing the dice and taking a massive chance their easing of the lockdown will work. Only time will tell. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The latest estimate in Scotland of current cases was 19000, according to Sturgeon last week, down from 25k the week before. That represents 0.3% of the population. Hospital numbers are down every day and it's clear that the virus is burning itself out. Talk of "second waves" can be translated to mean "pockets of new infections" and earlier scientific predictions of 80% being infected and 60% herd immunity has been proven to be arrant nonsense.  Unfortunately,  that modelling shaped a lot of govt policy early on, including the removal of hundreds of elderly people from hospitals into care homes. Time to slowly move back to normal, not a new normal, just normal.

Whilst i agree with you we actually dont know how many people have been infected and been asypomatic . If we knew this then we would maybe be surprised its very little or a massive amount .

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think people have had the "fear"  installed in them so much that they believe the virus to be " rife" when in actual fact   if we look at the numbers of infections ( those tested) its very low. Clearly the death rate is concerning but when we look at it against a population of 70 million its quite low. 

This guys speaks a lot of sense but like most who criticise the lockdown and Govt police has been maligned and labelled a nutjob.

Shanks said no
23 hours ago, Cade said:

qE15ZwW.jpg

Spot the pandemic.

Yesterday when I looked at your graph, hungover and I am colourblind, I thought what’s all the fuss about. Now realise the line in April isn’t just indicating England and Wales, it’s the actual trajectory of the deaths.
Going to be pretty horrific when May and June are added in.

The Mighty Thor

I'm aware that everyone in this image is properly socially distanced but what the **** are you so desperate to buy at IKEA that you'll go stand in that queue? (Or sit for hours in a queue in your car for a McDonald's/KFC/Burger King)

Mesmeric. 

thumbnail.jpeg

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm aware that everyone in this image is properly socially distanced but what the **** are you so desperate to buy at IKEA that you'll go stand in that queue? (Or sit for hours in a queue in your car for a McDonald's/KFC/Burger King)

Mesmeric. 

thumbnail.jpeg

Sheep! Or nothing else better to do.

Edited by OBE

vegas-voss
4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Whilst i agree with you we actually dont know how many people have been infected and been asypomatic . If we knew this then we would maybe be surprised its very little or a massive amount .

Its all they can do.They have to put trust into folk sometime.My only gripe is its then an easy excuse for goverment if it all goes Pete Tong .There is no need for some of the scenes shown the past few days of crowds , folk just need to be sensible.

The Internet
5 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Important note towards the end. 

Franco Locatelli, the lead of the National Health Council which advises the government, said he could only express "great surprise and absolute bafflement" at the claim.

"You just need to look at the number of new positive cases confirmed every day to see the persistent circulation of the virus in Italy," he said, according to the ANSA news agency.

There are currently 435 people in intensive care, 6,387 in hospital, and 32,253 people self-isolating at home with symptoms

'no longer exists' 

vegas-voss
27 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Mesmeric. 

thumbnail.jpeg

Strange behaviour us humans have 😂

Not for fecking me though.

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Important note towards the end. 

'no longer exists' 

Like most of these reports we need to be careful with them. Good and bad ones. 
however if it petering out this is a welcome report. 

vegas-voss
6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Like most of these reports we need to be careful with them. Good and bad ones. 
however if it petering out this is a welcome report. 

I think the most important thing now is if spikes happen that we are equipped now to deal quickly and effectively hopefully.

Edited by vegas-voss

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic