Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

When the hell did people ever think critically?

For most of human history, most people weren't educated, which didn't really matter because most people only ever got to live lives that were nasty, brutish and short.

Then sometime in the 19th century countries that were developing industrially discovered education for the masses.  Except they didn't really.  They devised a method of teaching which was in essence designed to impart the basics to the masses so that they could function more effectively as units of production.  But almost no education system on the planet is actually designed to give people the tools and techniques needed to think critically, to reflect, and to develop insights into the data in front of them. 

In effect, most people have to develop their own critical thinking skills, or else acquire them by some form of accidental osmosis from somewhere else.  Which means it's all pot luck, and the chances are that more people are going to miss the target than will hit it.

And also: For feck sake, Geoff.  There are complete charlatans out there, people with no relevant expertise or learning whatsoever who are feeding lies, half-truths and miscalculations to a combination of the incapable, the bigoted and the pissed off.  Perhaps they're nasty pieces of work (I prefer this explanation).  Perhaps they're well-intentioned (I don't prefer this explanation).  But they are not Jenner, and they are not Galileo.

In Ireland, the people who are leading the charge against masks, against our pace of opening up the economy, and against vaccines are well-known faces - and frankly, well-known begrudgers and losers.  They are the same people who have opposed every liberalisation of Irish society and the Irish economy for the last 20 years, combined with the same xenophobes who target our Central European and African population and say they should be sent home, and the same head-the-balls who said we should let all our banks collapse and renege on our debts in 2010.  They include a minuscule "right" with documented connections to the far right in the UK, France, Germany and Italy, and an even tinier mad hyper-nationalist "left" mainly made up of extreme dissident Republicans.

If some sensible people get caught up in their shenanigans  because of their desperation or annoyance, we should empathise with that.  But it's also reasonable to observe that if you lie down with dogs you've little to moan about if you wake up with a desperate need to scratch yourself.

Whoosh! I'm not saying these arseholes are in any way scientists. They are charlatans who are making money off people's stupidity. All I'm trying to say is that simply taking everything from on high as gospel is not healthy either.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Whoosh! I'm not saying these arseholes are in any way scientists. They are charlatans who are making money off people's stupidity. All I'm trying to say is that simply taking everything from on high as gospel is not healthy either.

No, but the trouble is when people (many of them) jump straight from "you shouldn't believe the guvmint" to "you should believe whoever doesn't like the guvmint and spins the best stories".

We've seen the stories this week of those patients in the United States asking in desperation would it make any difference if they took the vaccine now.  I always like to see myself as a fella of reason (and indeed, Reason), but it's hard to read stuff like that and remain reasonable when dealing with the arseholes whose weasel words persuaded people to put themselves in that terrible position.  Sadly, neither the vaccine nor critical thinking will help those patients now.

24 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

By the way, long before Covid-19, I was always struck by the notion that if we didn't have a measles vaccine, about 4 million babies and young children would die every year who don't die at present.  However, about 3 to 3.5 million of those would be either black or brown.  I don't know what your anti-vaxxers are like, but I'd be willing to bet a good few bucks that Ireland's anti-vaxxers would at best see that as "collateral damage".

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

By the way, long before Covid-19, I was always struck by the notion that if we didn't have a measles vaccine, about 4 million babies and young children would die every year who don't die at present.  However, about 3 to 3.5 million of those would be either black or brown.  I don't know what your anti-vaxxers are like, but I'd be willing to bet a good few bucks that Ireland's anti-vaxxers would at best see that as "collateral damage".

Nah, the anti-vaxxers here are the Wakefield yummy mummy types who are so well off that they are angst ridden and seek out causes and other holistic "medicine". As part of eschewing disposable nappies and the other virtue signals that they go through, vaccination is seen as unnatural because their "life coach" or other such has advised them that the body should be pure. Idiots.

My wife is a particular fan of the policy around childhood vaccination here - "no jab, no pay", meaning no child benefits if you don't get them jabbed. In VIC, we also have "no play" added to that, meaning you can't send them to childcare. Quite right too!

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

tragic but interesting point about the “ black or brown” “collateral damage”

UNICEF amongst others are advising that there’s going to vast numbers of the very thing due to covid lockdowns and the like worsening an already critical hunger situation

Back to 2005

This is interesting.  I'm not pretending I know enough about financial markets to say this is definitely the case but well worth a read. 

Back to 2005
10 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Who do you think would have been better speakers to have at the London march? 

Someone like Neil Oliver.

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Neil Oliver? The boy that wanders around the coast?

Go the whole hog and get on Katie Hopkins or Laurence Fox or any of the other absolute fuds that propagate a load of utter shite through Facebook and Twitter that empower people of limited intelligence into thinking that they know what's going on. 

Dangerous morons the lot of them.

Unknown user

So this is what it looks like when it's laid bare that your beliefs are also supported by the thickest ****s in Britain

Back to 2005
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So this is what it looks like when it's laid bare that your beliefs are also supported by the thickest ****s in Britain

Good contribution Smithee.  Why do think Neil Oliver is thick other than the fact you don't agree with him? Is having 2 honours degrees thick these days......

God help this forum then.

10 hours ago, Taffin said:

The problem is thousands of experts have all been telling us different things and lurching from one thing to the next as each week passes.

There's good reason for that in most instances but the problem is they tell us with such definitive confidence that when they then come back and tell us something at odds with that also with such confidence then people lose faith in what their saying and look elsewhere and end up filling their head's with rot.

The problem is, however, that some advice was wrong (ie masks not needed for the general population) but necessary - as we discussed the severe lack of PPE for front-line health workers was a driving factor in that initial advice. But that will now be seized upon by the chancers to argue they need no masks or to discredit mask-wearing. 

Our messaging could be far better, absolutely agree with that - but as an iterative process of learning during the pandemic, things will change.

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

No, but the trouble is when people (many of them) jump straight from "you shouldn't believe the guvmint" to "you should believe whoever doesn't like the guvmint and spins the best stories".

We've seen the stories this week of those patients in the United States asking in desperation would it make any difference if they took the vaccine now.  I always like to see myself as a fella of reason (and indeed, Reason), but it's hard to read stuff like that and remain reasonable when dealing with the arseholes whose weasel words persuaded people to put themselves in that terrible position.  Sadly, neither the vaccine nor critical thinking will help those patients now.

There's sad stories of covid deniers denying they have the illness even as they succumbed to it in hospital. That level of entrenchment is horrifying - some people will never back down or be able to accept the ego bruising of realising they've been played. :(

6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Nah, the anti-vaxxers here are the Wakefield yummy mummy types who are so well off that they are angst ridden and seek out causes and other holistic "medicine". As part of eschewing disposable nappies and the other virtue signals that they go through, vaccination is seen as unnatural because their "life coach" or other such has advised them that the body should be pure. Idiots.

My wife is a particular fan of the policy around childhood vaccination here - "no jab, no pay", meaning no child benefits if you don't get them jabbed. In VIC, we also have "no play" added to that, meaning you can't send them to childcare. Quite right too!

Is that accepted without fuss? Here, the concept of vaccine-passports for entry to venues/international travel is seeing some abhorrent attempts to compare it as a parallel to the holocaust.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Works both ways, though. I enjoy a wee bit Fox News now and again but can see through their wilder stuff. With the same critical eye, some of the Guardian stuff is worth reading, but they are no less guilty of pushing a particular narrative and demonising/mocking those they disagree with.

Indeed, if you watch or read anything from any media source without having at least one WTF moment then you probably haven’t engaged the old critical thinking device. Find yourself nodding along to an entire YT video or newspaper article? Gie yersel’ a slap!

If you read that article, you'll see that not everyone takes their news with a pinch of salt like yourself. I don't watch news channels or programs nor buy a daily newspaper - I get my news from feeds and a variety of sources. 

24 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

This is interesting.  I'm not pretending I know enough about financial markets to say this is definitely the case but well worth a read. 

If you don't understand it, why are you sharing it as if it's another conspiracy? 

This is NOT what you or the conspiritards think it is - it's an attempt by the Treasury to grab a slice of the crypto-currency market (alongside FIAT currency - NOT as a replacement) because they fear missing out on hidden transactions and taxes - which is why it will initially be an attractive offering.

What you really are looking for is hidden in plain site. Did you notice that - convenient for avoiding surface contamination - the contactless card spend limit was raised during the pandemic, and it is suggested it will be raised again to £100. As someone who hasn't used cash in years unless in some backwater shop, this is great. However, it comes with a caveat - the more money becomes digital, the more impetus to reduce circulation of notes and coins. 

Remove that entirely and go digital - say in 2026 (random date) sold on a convenience/environmental ticket - then that would allow both monitoring of almost all transactions, reducing off the books payments and much of the black market, and crucially - the potential for negative interest rates. Someone is going to pay for the cost of the economic hit during the pandemic and you can bet your last dollar it will be you and I, not the elites.

Again, though, this isn't a conspiracy - this was discussed even before the pandemic and no, world governments didn't engineer the entire pandemic just to inject microchips into us and get control of currency! 

jack D and coke
37 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I read that K Bingo’s Twitter feed…

Digital currency is here already and it’s coming more mainstream we all know that. I fail to see how creating a false pandemic ensures it’s quicker passage…this guy talks about economies collapsing yet is suggesting it’s all been on purpose? 

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Good contribution Smithee.  Why do think Neil Oliver is thick other than the fact you don't agree with him? Is having 2 honours degrees thick these days......

Neil Oliver is not thick. He just knows **** all about virology or public health or epidemiology.

He knows how to walk round the coast though and if ever the general public needs that kind of expertise then he'd be our go to guy. Until then he can stick to spewing right wing shite to halfwits on GBeebies.  

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

This is NOT what you or the conspiritards think it is - it's an attempt by the Treasury to grab a slice of the crypto-currency market (alongside FIAT currency - NOT as a replacement) because they fear missing out on hidden transactions and taxes - which is why it will initially be an attractive offering.

Yeah this is what I’ve read for a good few years now. I’ve had BC and other crypto for a while and govts are trying to grab a slice. 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I read that K Bingo’s Twitter feed…

Digital currency is here already and it’s coming more mainstream we all know that. I fail to see how creating a false pandemic ensures it’s quicker passage…this guy talks about economies collapsing yet is suggesting it’s all been on purpose? 

The adoption of digital or crypto currency has been happening for years. Blockchain driven projects power so much of the information transfer in both the financial and general markets and the rate of adoption is incredible. 

Digital currency is already here, the governments are now trying to stuff that genie back in the bottle as they're behind the curve on it.

To suggest that this is the plan behind the pandemic is risible.

Back to 2005
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Neil Oliver is not thick. He just knows **** all about virology or public health or epidemiology.

He knows how to walk round the coast though and if ever the general public needs that kind of expertise then he'd be our go to guy. Until then he can stick to spewing right wing shite to halfwits on GBeebies.  

You're right we should listen more to Susan Michie, Jason the dentist and Neil Fergusson on the BBC.

Back to 2005
12 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

The problem is, however, that some advice was wrong (ie masks not needed for the general population) but necessary - as we discussed the severe lack of PPE for front-line health workers was a driving factor in that initial advice. But that will now be seized upon by the chancers to argue they need no masks or to discredit mask-wearing. 

Our messaging could be far better, absolutely agree with that - but as an iterative process of learning during the pandemic, things will change.

There's sad stories of covid deniers denying they have the illness even as they succumbed to it in hospital. That level of entrenchment is horrifying - some people will never back down or be able to accept the ego bruising of realising they've been played. :(

Is that accepted without fuss? Here, the concept of vaccine-passports for entry to venues/international travel is seeing some abhorrent attempts to compare it as a parallel to the holocaust.

If you read that article, you'll see that not everyone takes their news with a pinch of salt like yourself. I don't watch news channels or programs nor buy a daily newspaper - I get my news from feeds and a variety of sources. 

If you don't understand it, why are you sharing it as if it's another conspiracy? 

What you really are looking for is hidden in plain site. Did you notice that - convenient for avoiding surface contamination - the contactless card spend limit was raised during the pandemic, and it is suggested it will be raised again to £100. As someone who hasn't used cash in years unless in some backwater shop, this is great. However, it comes with a caveat - the more money becomes digital, the more impetus to reduce circulation of notes and coins. 

Remove that entirely and go digital - say in 2026 (random date) sold on a convenience/environmental ticket - then that would allow both monitoring of almost all transactions, reducing off the books payments and much of the black market, and crucially - the potential for negative interest rates. Someone is going to pay for the cost of the economic hit during the pandemic and you can bet your last dollar it will be you and I, not the elites.

Again, though, this isn't a conspiracy - this was discussed even before the pandemic and no, world governments didn't engineer the entire pandemic just to inject microchips into us and get control of currency! 

I shared it as a point for discussion. This is surely the point of forum. Or do we all just post smiley emojis? 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The adoption of digital or crypto currency has been happening for years. Blockchain driven projects power so much of the information transfer in both the financial and general markets and the rate of adoption is incredible. 

Digital currency is already here, the governments are now trying to stuff that genie back in the bottle as they're behind the curve on it.

To suggest that this is the plan behind the pandemic is risible.

Yeah I won’t lie and say I’m clued up but I’ve bought abs traded crypto for about 5-6 years now and it’s becoming more and more mainstream. Like you say the govts have dropped the ball here I reckon. 
It’s really draining this thread tbh I’ll need to remove myself again for a week or two. 
It’s seems to be getting utterly mental again :lol: 

14 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You're right we should listen more to Susan Michie, Jason the dentist and Neil Fergusson on the BBC.

Since you are impressed by Oliver's education, between the 3 mentioned above, they have 2 Honours Degrees from Oxford, 2 Doctorates from Oxford, a Masters from London Uni, Doctorate from Glasgow Uni, and a Masters from Harvard. 

The Mighty Thor
23 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

As opposed to Right Said Fred, Katie Hopkins, Laurence Fox, Neil Oliver? I'm not sure mate. You might be onto something. 

Back to 2005
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Since you are impressed by Oliver's education, between the 3 mentioned above, they have 2 Honours Degrees from Oxford, 2 Doctorates from Oxford, a Masters from London Uni, Doctorate from Glasgow Uni, and a Masters from Harvard. 

Never said I was. I was replying to the poster who suggested he was thick. 

Shall we check Fergussons modelling predictions for a laugh? 

8 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

You were baulking at the idea of listening to the 3 you listed ahead of Oliver, as if somehow he was the better qualified. 

IIRC Ferguson predicted up to 500k deaths as a worst case scenario if we did absolutely nothing to stem the flow of the virus. We've had multiple lockdowns and social restrictions for well over a year and had 129k deaths. He probably wasn't far off.

Edited by Ray Gin

Back to 2005
9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

As opposed to Right Said Fred, Katie Hopkins, Laurence Fox, Neil Oliver? I'm not sure mate. You might be onto something. 

Piers morgan? Gareth Southgate? If we are are going to list celebrities with an opinion. 

I gave Oliver name as an example of someone who would make a good speaker. There are plenty of scientists such as Dr Mike Yeadon if we are going to restrict to just scientists. 

Imagine being told a few years ago that there's a global pandemic coming, and that some people's go to guys for health expertise would be Right Said Fred.

:kirklol:

But here we are.

Geoff Kilpatrick
46 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Given full vaccination history for children in Australia is 95% I would say the vast majority accept it. The other 5% can be questioned.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Piers morgan? Gareth Southgate? If we are are going to list celebrities with an opinion. 

I gave Oliver name as an example of someone who would make a good speaker. There are plenty of scientists such as Dr Mike Yeadon if we are going to restrict to just scientists. 

Yeadon? :cornette:

go to Google.

Type in Dr Mike Yeadon - Fact Check.

That's all.

Back to 2005
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Yeadon? :cornette:

go to Google.

Type in Dr Mike Yeadon - Fact Check.

That's all.

Someone that thinks fact check on Google is worth feck all. Insert stupid emoji. 

The very fact that Google is employing fact checkers to dismiss scientific opinions should set alarm bells ringing. 

Back to 2005
17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You were baulking at the idea of listening to the 3 you listed ahead of Oliver, as if somehow he was the better qualified. 

IIRC Ferguson predicted up to 500k deaths as a worst case scenario if we did absolutely nothing to stem the flow of the virus. We've had multiple lockdowns and social restrictions for well over a year and had 129k deaths. He probably wasn't far off.

Leaving aside the fact that 129k people have not died of covid explain why states in America that lifted all restrictions didn't have deaths on this scale. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

I didn't say Neil Oliver is thick. Having to resort to strawmen shows how weak your position is

Edited by Smithee

Back to 2005
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I didn't say Neil Oliver is thick. Having to resort to strawmen shows how weak your position is

So who are you saying is thick then? Anyone that questions the state narrative? 

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Someone that thinks fact check on Google is worth feck all. Insert stupid emoji. 

The very fact that Google is employing fact checkers to dismiss scientific opinions should set alarm bells ringing. 

I'll help you out. The top two search results are fullfact.org and Reuters. Not Twitter. Not Facebook. Not a Portugese webshite.

So Full Fact and Reuters both say Dr Mike Yeadon is full of shit. 

But Neil Oliver, Right Said Fred........

Risible.

23 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Leaving aside the fact that 129k people have not died of covid explain why states in America that lifted all restrictions didn't have deaths on this scale. 

Which states in America have had zero restrictions at any point in the pandemic and have a similar population density to the UK?

2 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Are his degrees in epidemiology or virology, per chance or was it a degree in hair conditioning and right-wing propaganda?  

I shared it as a point for discussion. This is surely the point of forum. Or do we all just post smiley emojis? 

You didn't add anything to the discussion - just another hit and run paste job. Tbh, I regret wasting my time explaining the concepts that have been deliberately twisted and misconstrued by the conspiracy twats. From now on, perhaps your posts should get the same effort you put into them...

Whats a conspiritard by the way Gizmo? 

48 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

I think this one answered itself. 

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Boab said:

Wait…Right Said Fred ?

Are the side effects of the vaccine worse than we thought ?

:cornette_dog:

No mate, they're leading authorities on the pandemic hoax. Them and the boy that wanders round the cliff tops. 

If you don't believe them then you're a MSM/Big Government/Big Pharma/New World Order sheeple.

So wear your mask, get the microchips and hell mend you when Right Said Fred lead the uprising.

14 minutes ago, Boab said:

Wait…Right Said Fred ?

Are the side effects of the vaccine worse than we thought ?

:cornette_dog:

i have been feeling too sexy for my shirt that it hurts

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Works both ways, though. I enjoy a wee bit Fox News now and again but can see through their wilder stuff. With the same critical eye, some of the Guardian stuff is worth reading, but they are no less guilty of pushing a particular narrative and demonising/mocking those they disagree with.

Indeed, if you watch or read anything from any media source without having at least one WTF moment then you probably haven’t engaged the old critical thinking device. Find yourself nodding along to an entire YT video or newspaper article? Gie yersel’ a slap!

Very true . I had a wtf moment reading a guardian article last week which was roundly condemning demonstrators outside a spa in Los Angeles which had allowed a grown man , who identified as trans to be naked in a spa with young girls and females . The article made zero reference to any issues about this but as I said was just critical of the “ mob” demonstrating . 

2 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Probably the wrong example as he sets some off they’d trolley on this as he’s been a critical thinker in his opposition to independence ! 

He was way out 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Predicted nearly 5 times As many deaths ? He was way off 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Very true . I had a wtf moment reading a guardian article last week which was roundly condemning demonstrators outside a spa in Los Angeles which had allowed a grown man , who identified as trans to be naked in a spa with young girls and females . The article made zero reference to any issues about this but as I said was just critical of the “ mob” demonstrating . 

Probably the wrong example as he sets some off they’d trolley on this as he’s been a critical thinker in his opposition to independence ! 

He was way out 

Less than 4 times as many. With ZERO restictions. Not a single action taken. Worst case scenario.

19 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Whats a conspiritard by the way Gizmo? 

I think this one answered itself.

giphy.webp

Unknown user
55 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

So who are you saying is thick then? Anyone that questions the state narrative? 

Well, I'll add you for starters if you genuinely don't have the wits to follow what I said

Back to 2005
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well, I'll add you for starters if you genuinely don't have the wits to follow what I said

Well if you're out witting me I must be thick.

2 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

I reckon “Jason the dentist” knows more about it than you or anyone else on this board does.

Dentists are taught microbiology and epidemiology at university.

(Oh, and of course “Jason the dentist” - or Professor Leitch -  has a Masters in Public Health from Harvard)

Edited by FWJ

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Lol 😂 

53 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Sorry for pointing it out, but the pertinent words in the post you replied to were "worst-case scenario".

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Outwitted by a simple statement mate, not by me.

So... yeah

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic