Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

35 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd undoubtedly feel raging about people who are continually encouraging others to flaunt the rules as this would be delaying my loved one getting treatment.

In my opinion the vast majority of the UK population have stuck to the rules during the past year. I think its worth bearing in mind that it's important to not always take what you read in the media as gospel. They need sensationalist headlines to sell their media outlets therefore tend to exaggerate most headlines. Back to the point though, if my loved one had cancer and had their treatment delayed due to the Covid pandemic I would 100% be raging. Especially if they died as a result of not getting treatment that they were fully entitled to. I have every sympathy for any person in the UK who has missed out on vital treatment or had it delayed due to coronavirus. At what point do you decide a Covid life is worth more than a cancer/heart disease life??? All lives matter in my book, therefore there shouldve/needs to be a solution found all round. Let's hope massive lessons are learned off the back of the past 12 months so that we never have to deal with anything on this scale again but I seriously doubt that they will. Restrictions will start to lift soon but let's be honest, things like holidays will still be goosed for this year. You will either have to pay through the nose for a UK break (meaning many families won't be able to afford it) and foreign travel will be heavily dependent on you having had a vaccine/negative test so then you've got hassle factor's added in to additional cost factors. I'd settle for my wife bring able to see her mother down south and my kids being able to see their grandmother at this point. Soon you'll have all trades opening up again so supplies for building materials will likely be in short supply again and costs ramned up too so the reality is 2021 isn't going to be much different from 2020, certainly the first 6 or 7 months of the year anyway. Here's to 2022!!

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

In my opinion the vast majority of the UK population have stuck to the rules during the past year. I think its worth bearing in mind that it's important to not always take what you read in the media as gospel. They need sensationalist headlines to sell their media outlets therefore tend to exaggerate most headlines. Back to the point though, if my loved one had cancer and had their treatment delayed due to the Covid pandemic I would 100% be raging. Especially if they died as a result of not getting treatment that they were fully entitled to. I have every sympathy for any person in the UK who has missed out on vital treatment or had it delayed due to coronavirus. At what point do you decide a Covid life is worth more than a cancer/heart disease life??? All lives matter in my book, therefore there shouldve/needs to be a solution found all round. Let's hope massive lessons are learned off the back of the past 12 months so that we never have to deal with anything on this scale again but I seriously doubt that they will. Restrictions will start to lift soon but let's be honest, things like holidays will still be goosed for this year. You will either have to pay through the nose for a UK break (meaning many families won't be able to afford it) and foreign travel will be heavily dependent on you having had a vaccine/negative test so then you've got hassle factor's added in to additional cost factors. I'd settle for my wife bring able to see her mother down south and my kids being able to see their grandmother at this point. Soon you'll have all trades opening up again so supplies for building materials will likely be in short supply again and costs ramned up too so the reality is 2021 isn't going to be much different from 2020, certainly the first 6 or 7 months of the year anyway. Here's to 2022!!

The solution found is a nationwide lockdown to drive down the number of covid-19 patients. 

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The solution found is a nationwide lockdown to drive down the number of covid-19 patients. 

Not a viable one though moving forward is it?? There needs to be a long term strategy to avoid fully scale lockdowns happening again for both economic and mental health reasons. There are still many intelligent people out here (including scientific and medical experts) who believe the vulnerable and elderly shouldve been shielded (or at least given the choice to if they wanted) and the rest of the country go about their lives as normally as possible. 

9 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Not a viable one though moving forward is it?? There needs to be a long term strategy to avoid fully scale lockdowns happening again for both economic and mental health reasons. There are still many intelligent people out here (including scientific and medical experts) who believe the vulnerable and elderly shouldve been shielded (or at least given the choice to if they wanted) and the rest of the country go about their lives as normally as possible. 

It is when we're rolling out a vaccine programme. 

Edited by Ray Gin

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

We're at the stage of confirmation bias now though, and not just you, everyone involved in the debate is finding things to back themselves up when there's plenty that doesn't.

For example, what you say could be countered by pointing out that there are still many intelligent people out here (including scientific and medical experts) who believe lockdown was and is the best resolution.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We're at the stage of confirmation bias now though, and not just you, everyone involved in the debate is finding things to back themselves up when there's plenty that doesn't.

For example, what you say could be countered by pointing out that there are still many intelligent people out here (including scientific and medical experts) who believe lockdown was and is the best resolution.

Fair point. I think it's important not to believe everything we are fed from the media though (I'm no conspiracy theorist and I do believe Covid is a threat to life in the vulnereble/elderly categories). I guess it's the old mantra of 'you will never please everyone'!! 

3 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

The question I've never seen answered satisfactorily is if the virus is allowed to spread exponentially who looks after the people that are shielding?

Medical staff and care home workers would catch it like everybody else. I've heard it said they'd have to shield too, ok, but what about their families, do they also have to shield? Where does it end?

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It is when we're rolling out a vaccine programme. 

That will help suppress this version of the virus but what will we do if say, 3 years time another SARS or Covid virus appears that we don't have a vaccine for?? I firmly believe a large part of the lockdowns have been purely to stop the threat of the NHS being overwhelmed. The last thing a developed western country wants is photos of people lying in makeshift hospital tents or lying in beds in corridors and thst possibly is what wouldve happened if we hadn't kept everyone locked up. A decision needs to be made in my view....do we properly fund the NHS to increase hospital bed and staffing capacity so that we are better equipped to deal with outbreaks in the future or do we do nothing and hope it doesn't happen again??

Footballfirst

Quite an alarming increase in case numbers today, up to 691 (543 last Wednesday).

Edited by Footballfirst

I firmly believe a large part of the lockdowns have been purely to stop the threat of the NHS being overwhelmed. 

Well yeah, we've been told that daily. 

3 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The question I've never seen answered satisfactorily is if the virus is allowed to spread exponentially who looks after the people that are shielding?

Medical staff and care home workers would catch it like everybody else. I've heard it said they'd have to shield too, ok, but what about their families, do they also have to shield? Where does it end?

Yes logistically I can see how it would be difficult to shield vulnerable people especially (people who need assistance getting up in the morning for example) however a lot of older able bodied folk live alone or with their partners and I'm sure they couldve been protected and had shopping etc dropped at their door. I'm not saying that is ideal but it's something that was done during the past year. I have a few elderly neighbours where I live and all the ones I've spoken with feel quite strongly on how this has played out. One is a widower and resents the restrictive nature being forced on them. Another couple I know are worried about the effects is had on their grandchildren more than the effect its had on them. The reality is, most retired people spend alot of time in their homes anyway and many of my neighbours have said to me other than shops and restaurants being closed, nothing has really changed for them. 

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Well yeah, we've been told that daily. 

Yep so how do we stop it happening again?? This is nothing new. Year on year we get stories that the NHS is over whelmed each winter so would you not think its about time it was addressed properly???

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Quite an alarming increase in case numbers today, up to 691 (543 last Wednesday).

Test positivity holding at 3% which isn't too bad.  Volume of tests always fluctuates so the rate of positives seems more important.

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

See the report today about the class in England where one pupil tested positive on their lateral flow test on Monday (the day they finally returned). The subsequent more reliable PCR test came back negative but the whole class of 31 are self isolating for 10 days. If they are going to use lateral flow tests there are going to be more false positives

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Test positivity holding at 3% which isn't too bad.  Volume of tests always fluctuates so the rate of positives seems more important.

That's all very well, but if case number rates are going to be a key factor in lifting restrictions, then it will become equally important as the positivity rate, i.e. Level 1 <20, Level 2 <50, etc.

Yep so how do we stop it happening again?? This is nothing new. Year on year we get stories that the NHS is over whelmed each winter so would you not think its about time it was addressed properly???

You won't hear me arguing against the NHS being better funded. 

Enzo Chiefo
53 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That was the solution. Going forward, lockdowns will neither be sustainable nor adhered to. Issues about illness and hospital capacity are for the NHS and govts to resolve. The freedoms and liberties of the majority are not tradeable commodities 

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

That's all very well, but if case number rates are going to be a key factor in lifting restrictions, then it will become equally important as the positivity rate, i.e. Level 1 <20, Level 2 <50, etc.

Agreed.  But I think they'll be forced to review and amend that as a criteria for unlocking.  

Yes logistically I can see how it would be difficult to shield vulnerable people especially (people who need assistance getting up in the morning for example) however a lot of older able bodied folk live alone or with their partners and I'm sure they couldve been protected and had shopping etc dropped at their door. I'm not saying that is ideal but it's something that was done during the past year. I have a few elderly neighbours where I live and all the ones I've spoken with feel quite strongly on how this has played out. One is a widower and resents the restrictive nature being forced on them. Another couple I know are worried about the effects is had on their grandchildren more than the effect its had on them. The reality is, most retired people spend alot of time in their homes anyway and many of my neighbours have said to me other than shops and restaurants being closed, nothing has really changed for them. 

The people you describe have a choice whether they shield or not, I'm thinking more about those who have no choice because they need cared for, whether that is at home, in a care home or in hospital. I've yet to hear how the people who look after these vulnerable groups can avoid passing on Covid when its spreading unchecked through the population.

That is where the 'shield and let rip' theory fails imo.

1 minute ago, fancy a brew said:

The people you describe have a choice whether they shield or not, I'm thinking more about those who have no choice because they need cared for, whether that is at home, in a care home or in hospital. I've yet to hear how the people who look after these vulnerable groups can avoid passing on Covid when its spreading unchecked through the population.

It never stood as a viable theory.

20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You won't hear me arguing against the NHS being better funded. 

👍

On vaccinating I'm sure the SG alluded to middle of next week when ramp up starts again.

Won't go into too much detail but one local centre that has reduced current capacity by 60% this week aims to go back to pre supply challenges capacity from next Thursday for a few days ahead of doubling the original capacity from 22nd.

Edited by DETTY29

17 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Yes I agree, would be challenging to implement. I dont think you would ever have a zero deaths scenario regardless of what was implemented but I do think through time and after a full enquiry (hopefully anyway) the governments will be better equipped to cope with any future pandemic. I don't think I could face another year like this!!

38 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's all the Rangers football clubs fault!😜

Footballfirst
14 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

If that was the source of the spike in today's numbers then I would be reassured. However, I think that it is too early to see any impact from the weekend.

I'd be more concerned if it was related to the reopening of primary schools and nurseries.

Let's hope that it is just a blip that will soon be forgotten.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

If that was the source of the spike in today's numbers then I would be reassured. However, I think that it is too early to see any impact from the weekend.

I'd be more concerned if it was related to the reopening of primary schools and nurseries.

Let's hope that it is just a blip that will soon be forgotten.

It is only 3.1% of tests would suggest to me that there has been an upturn in tests somewhere.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, hmfcbilly said:

Very well said 👍

1 hour ago, hmfcbilly said:

The long term strategy should be no more lockdowns . We have done as much as we can , lockdowns , restrictions and vaccines to prevent hospital admissions and deaths . That’s it . Need to now accept that there will be a level of deaths associated with it but also accept the massive long term damage to the physical , emotional and mental well being of the vast majority of people has been affected and that cannot vs repeated again . Economically it wold be an even more catastrophe 

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Well said, Billy. Ray's refusal to acknowledge that other people have different viewpoints - and that they may be born out of experience and data just as he feels his are - does very little to do anything other than reduce discussion or debate of lockdown measures into insult contests. I believe he thrives on it, sadly. In many ways, the degeneration of this thread came about from the likes of Ray refusing to accept that other approaches had any validity whatsoever. The desire to 'call out' and ridicule people who disagreed with the measures implemented throughout 2020 and on into 2021 was as predictable as it was pathetic, IMO.

FWIW, I think the lack of desire to properly plan and implement a 'shield, protect and provide for' the vulnerable, while allowing most other people to go about their lives unimpeded, shows how one-dimensional and short-term the majority of governmental thinking is. Headlines (and the superficial problem/solution dichotomies they generate) drive policies, not creative, long-term thinking.

Completely on the ball . 👍 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I honestly don't think that's an alarming increase. Indeed, use of terms like 'alarming' has contributed to some of the excess, long fear that has seeped into people's perspective on CV19 related issues. As Red pointed out months ago, single days don't count for much, and the rolling 7-day rate is more important.

I consider it more alarming to use the word “ alarming “ to describe an increase which is not very alarming . It’s very media speak which is fear inducing and well alarming. ! 😂

JudyJudyJudy

She’s at it again ! Wanting kids injected with a toxic solution which we have no way of knowing is safe or not . Plus what about children’s right to say no this . I hope any sensible parent thinks very carefully about this issue . 

04DBC889-DE35-43F8-B990-F14F216D504C.jpeg

22 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Well said, Billy. Ray's refusal to acknowledge that other people have different viewpoints - and that they may be born out of experience and data just as he feels his are - does very little to do anything other than reduce discussion or debate of lockdown measures into insult contests. I believe he thrives on it, sadly. In many ways, the degeneration of this thread came about from the likes of Ray refusing to accept that other approaches had any validity whatsoever. The desire to 'call out' and ridicule people who disagreed with the measures implemented throughout 2020 and on into 2021 was as predictable as it was pathetic, IMO.

FWIW, I think the lack of desire to properly plan and implement a 'shield, protect and provide for' the vulnerable, while allowing most other people to go about their lives unimpeded, shows how one-dimensional and short-term the majority of governmental thinking is. Headlines (and the superficial problem/solution dichotomies they generate) drive policies, not creative, long-term thinking.

Good post Jonesy. I'm sure some reading it won't necessarily agree with you but it's your opinion and we are all entitled to one. It's how that opinion is delivered that matters. I'm up for using this platform to debate, be passionate and even disagree with each other at times but when it gets derogatory and personal it's no wonder folk switch off and 'leave the room' so to speak!

On your last point about lack of forward planning....I work in an industry that is predominantly reactive rather than proactive and it frustrates the life out of me at times (this past year especially). Granted, some of it can't be helped but there are parts that could easily be met by a bit forward planning. Let's hope the Government are more proactive in their quest to deal with any future pandemics eh!

Dennis Reynolds
15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

She’s at it again ! Wanting kids injected with a toxic solution which we have no way of knowing is safe or not . Plus what about children’s right to say no this . I hope any sensible parent thinks very carefully about this issue . 

There's currently trials ongoing to test the efficacy and safety in children. Pretty much standard procedure as with all other vaccines ever.

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Mikey Stewart can offer up his kid to be 1st in the queue going by his love for the post. Loving her optimism by the autumn. My soon to be 64 year old mother hasn't even had an appointment letter for a 1st vaccine yet as we approach mid March 

Enzo Chiefo
22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The only "preparing for next winter" we need worry about is booking a week in the sun,  ordering the turkey and organising the office party.  Seriously, monomaniacs like Sridhar need to realise that "long fear" is subsiding and , come the summer, most of the public will be starting to forget about Covid, focussing instead on living again

Nucky Thompson

Off course they are going to find more positive cases. There was 1.5 million tests done in a day.

Positivity rate is still at 3%. Nothing to get too worried about

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Let’s hope so, better these scummy *******s than worthwhile human beings. 

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Toxic solution.

:vrface:

Children do not need this vaccine . Only 6 children have died of it in the U.K. and all had serous underlying health conditions . 

88A60C52-60F2-44CC-84B2-3E06656ECC1E.jpeg

Edited by JamesM48

37 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The long term strategy should be no more lockdowns . We have done as much as we can , lockdowns , restrictions and vaccines to prevent hospital admissions and deaths . That’s it . Need to now accept that there will be a level of deaths associated with it but also accept the massive long term damage to the physical , emotional and mental well being of the vast majority of people has been affected and that cannot vs repeated again . Economically it would be an even more catastrophe 

I think (and hope) all UK governments realise that too and may well be the reasoning why we are still locked down given the case numbers/deaths are so low. One final push so to speak, whilst we get as many folk vaccinated as are willing then we get things moving properly again on a sustained level. 

Ron Burgundy
10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The only "preparing for next winter" we need worry about is booking a week in the sun,  ordering the turkey and organising the office party.  Seriously, monomaniacs like Sridhar need to realise that "long fear" is subsiding and , come the summer, most of the public will be starting to forget about Covid, focussing instead on living again

Some people are used to the fear now and are positively thriving on it.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Could you just detail your qualifications to back up your assertions please?

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

😂😂😂😂👍

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Mikey Stewart can offer up his kid to be 1st in the queue going by his love for the post. Loving her optimism by the autumn. My soon to be 64 year old mother hasn't even had an appointment letter for a 1st vaccine yet as we approach mid March 

You need to phone someone about this, she’s obviously fallen through the cracks somewhere. 
https://www.nhslothian.scot/Coronavirus/Vaccine/Pages/Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Children do not need this vaccine . Only 6 children have died of it in the U.K. and all had serous underlying health conditions . 

B7314673-86E7-459C-93CF-C56BA4299930.jpeg

Familiar ignorance.  They'll be vaccinated to disrupt transmission.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I'm actually surprised that no one has suggested putting up a Trump-style wall on the border of West Lothian (Glasgow side) to keep the uglies out of civilisation. Apologies to any jambos or decent human brings who are stuck through that way!

Pasquale for King
Just now, hmfcbilly said:

I'm actually surprised that no one has suggested putting up a Trump-style wall on the border of West Lothian (Glasgow side) to keep the uglies out of civilisation. Apologies to any jambos or decent human brings who are stuck through that way!

It has been mentioned a few times, personally I’ve been saying it for years. The perfect time to do it was when Hibs had 37k fans at the LC final against Livi. I’m sure dropping a bomb was muted too 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😆

Just now, Victorian said:

Familiar ignorance.  They'll be vaccinated to disrupt transmission.

I think I would like to see more evidence that proves 5 and 6 year old kids are carriers. We've been told plenty times that they are but, without proper testing being done on them how do the experts telling us this know for sure?? Genuine question btw. Alternatively, maybe it's transmitted from a teacher on to the kids school bags then the bag gives it to their parents once they get home? (Not genuine this time!)

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It has been mentioned a few times, personally I’ve been saying it for years. The perfect time to do it was when Hibs had 37k fans at the LC final against Livi. I’m sure dropping a bomb was muted too 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😆

Ahhh, I mustve missed those posts. They mustve been when you could fly off on holiday im guessing?? I mustve been out the country then. I don't read kickback when abroad 😜😂😂

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

88A60C52-60F2-44CC-84B2-3E06656ECC1E.jpeg

I don’t think that’s your decision to make, I’m not a parent so I wouldn’t comment on whether they would want their kids to have it or not, like all of us that’s up to them. 
The idea is to stop transmission, as well as perhaps saving those 6 kids whose lives you seem to view as collateral damage. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, hmfcbilly said:

Ahhh, I mustve missed those posts. They mustve been when you could fly off on holiday im guessing?? I mustve been out the country then. I don't read kickback when abroad 😜😂😂

Probably, you must have a good memory, seems a long time ago. Not sure if flying is high on my agenda for a while yet either. 

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You need to phone someone about this, she’s obviously fallen through the cracks somewhere. 
https://www.nhslothian.scot/Coronavirus/Vaccine/Pages/Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx

Cheers for that. Yeah I sent my mum the 0800 number yesterday and told her what option to press (4 if anyone else needs to call!). She told me that they are now sending out letters to her age group but not sure if they specifically checked using her details or just asked her age. Probably the latter. She has too much faith in the system my old dear. She still hadn't had her flu jab letter by 3nd of October last year. She would still be waiting for a letter now if I hadn't intervened!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic