Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Gards said:

Completely opposed to any type of vaccine passport - sends us down a slipperly slope as far as I'm concerned.....especially for those who can't legitimately get a a vaccine - we saying they can never travel again?

Base it on negative tests until the overall population in the world has been vaccinated - or a combination of vaccine proof and/or negative tests.

Even saw some nonsense about not being allowed into clubs if you can't prove you haven't had your vaccine....nonsense.

Completely agree 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

We've gone with an acceptable cost of modern life since the industrial revolution. And while there are now, thankfully, steps being taken to mitigate against some of the worst excesses of these, there are very few realists who would countenance zero impact from modern life (mass consumption, travel reliant on fossil fuels or electricity) on the vulnerable in society - for better or worse.

For the sake of the majority of people, CV19 cannot be (and really, should never have been) treated any differently. Efforts to do so, and the seeming desire to separate CV19 from the normal bunch of pathogens and behaviours that circulate, has been one of the biggest outbreaks of mass hypocrisy seen in our lifetimes.

👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Gards said:

Will be seconds before the first round of lawsuits head in the direction of the airlines/governments who try to implement that.

Hardly. If it is legislated for by the Government it isn't a breach of human rights. There is no explicit right to leave a country - passports are a Government function.

"No jab, no pay and no play" works here for children's vaccinations. No reason why adults shouldn't be the same.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Hardly. If it is legislated for by the Government it isn't a breach of human rights. There is no explicit right to leave a country - passports are a Government function.

"No jab, no pay and no play" works here for children's vaccinations. No reason why adults shouldn't be the same.

Still completely disagree and as I say, sends us down a dark path.

Why should it be a big deal if the majority of folks in the countries are vaccinated?  They've got nothing to fear if someone comes on a plane who isn't....and as I say, has tested negative.

Dare I say it next we'll be asked to wear badges if we're vaccinated or not!

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

We've gone with an acceptable cost of modern life since the industrial revolution. And while there are now, thankfully, steps being taken to mitigate against some of the worst excesses of these, there are very few realists who would countenance zero impact from modern life (mass consumption, travel reliant on fossil fuels or electricity) on the vulnerable in society - for better or worse.

For the sake of the majority of people, CV19 cannot be (and really, should never have been) treated any differently. Efforts to do so, and the seeming desire to separate CV19 from the normal bunch of pathogens and behaviours that circulate, has been one of the biggest outbreaks of mass hypocrisy seen in our lifetimes.

Largely in agreement until the end bit.  CV had to be treated separately and with some urgency due to a few factors,  not least the sheer scale of the susceptible population pre-vaccine.  Absolutely no hypocrisy involved whatsoever.  But it will evolve into a pathogen that's treated on a more equal basis to everything else,  for as long as the scale of harm can be reasonably contained.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Gards said:

Still completely disagree and as I say, sends us down a dark path.

Why should it be a big deal if the majority of folks in the countries are vaccinated?  They've got nothing to fear if someone comes on a plane who isn't....and as I say, has tested negative.

Dare I say it next we'll be asked to wear badges if we're vaccinated or not!

No need for badges. Better if it is part of a visa application.

It isn't something new either. People travelling used to carry proof that they had been vaccinated against smallpox.

11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:pleasing: 

No vaccine, no party.

Agree with that.

If you want to opt out of the vaccine you can opt out of the benefits of society reopening and stay in your house.

Just now, ri Alban said:

What moral excuse do you have for not being vaccinated to help beat a deadly virus?

Genuinely interested. 

That's not for me to say....but it's also not for me to judge and predjudice someone based on that either.

Again, I'm pro-vaccine and I'm getting mine when it happens...but to remove liberties or facilities from someone because they don't (for either moral or medical reasons) is wrong in my opinion and completely open to fraud/privacy concerns/discrimination etc. 

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Agree with that.

If you want to opt out of the vaccine you can opt out of the benefits of society reopening and stay in your house.

Why - if you've been vaccinated they pose no threat to you?

Should maybe carry out a BMI check on passengers before they board the plane as well as checking if they’ve had the vaccine?  Fat people are more likely to spread the virus so they should be banned from travel until they can stop stuffing their face and putting everyone at risk. 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It isn't something new either. People travelling used to carry proof that they had been vaccinated against smallpox.

Add yellow fever to that.

Dagger Is Back
6 minutes ago, Gards said:

That's not my understanding. No vaccine provides 100% protection. Also the more people who are unvaccinated, the more mutations are possible and at this stage I'm not sure we know how effective the current vaccines are against the ones we know about.

I could well be wrong mind you.

Seems to be a clamour about civil liberties etc in respect of those choosing not to have the vaccine but little for the liberties and rights of others.

34 minutes ago, Gards said:

Will be seconds before the first round of lawsuits head in the direction of the airlines/governments who try to implement that.

Travel insurance will be the stickler for the unvaccinated imo. 

Companies may refuse cover or impose horrific levels of premiums on unvaccinated potential travellers. 

Brighton Jambo
19 minutes ago, Gards said:

That's not for me to say....but it's also not for me to judge and predjudice someone based on that either.

Again, I'm pro-vaccine and I'm getting mine when it happens...but to remove liberties or facilities from someone because they don't (for either moral or medical reasons) is wrong in my opinion and completely open to fraud/privacy concerns/discrimination etc. 

Boris was very clear yesterday that if someone can’t take the vaccine for medical reasons they will suffer no detriment if they went ahead with a passport approach.  

Moral objection is different.  I agree facilities should not be removed if they support a persons way of life but if you need a vaccine passport to go to a pub or restaurant but choose not to get one then o can’t see what they could possibly have to complain about.  You make the choice as is your right knowing what the consequences are.  Seems fully fair to me.

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Seems like i'm in the minority which is fair enough - still think it's morally wrong and as cases/deaths come down hopefully will be a moot point anyway.

Hope the same attitude applies when other liberties are removed because it's deemed a risk, e.g. BMI index as mentioned earlier.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Gards said:

Lawsuits.

:rofl:

9 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Couple of points - As others have said I think there is likely to be a quick revision of elements of yesterdays announcement.  Also I think they are worried about case numbers in Scotland stalling just as they have sent kids back to School, so they are being really careful to examine the data over the next six weeks as schools go back, we have seen in that past that a levelling off often is a sign things are about to take off again, so with the unknown of schools open and 'new' variant they are being ultra cautious - I'm not saying that is the correct approach, just what I think they are doing. 

I think I like Boris's approach better because I am sick of the inside of my house!!

The problem might be that infections , I don’t use the word “ cases “ May rise due to kids returning to schools and this Might panic the overly cautious Govt when in fact hospital admissions / icu and deaths are still likely to plummet due to the vaccination toll out . The Govt has to hold it’s nerve regarding this and continue with lifting of restrictions . I hope they do but doubt it due to their previous form . However as others have quite rightly said events in England will determine what happens to ere 

Edited by JamesM48

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

One of the little recognised symptoms of Covid is that it seems to wipe all collective memory of the impact of previous epidemics and  pandemics, endemic diseases and the measures taken to contain them, 

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

There will need to be and will be a revisal of the SG route map.  As someone said,  it's a route map to a different lockdown.  Rightly or wrongly it wont stand up against England's plan.  There's way too much divergence.  I would expect Scotland to get a revised route map fairly quickly.

Correct or we'll all be heading over the border for a bit of light relief

Fxxx the SPFL
32 minutes ago, Gards said:

Seems like i'm in the minority which is fair enough - still think it's morally wrong and as cases/deaths come down hopefully will be a moot point anyway.

Hope the same attitude applies when other liberties are removed because it's deemed a risk, e.g. BMI index as mentioned earlier.

we shouldn't require a passport as surely the chip will show that we've been vaccinated :whistling:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

we shouldn't require a passport as surely the chip will show that we've been vaccinated :whistling:

:lol:

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Agree with that.

:spoton:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

would only be (debatable) hypocrisy if the public just accepted this - I don’t think they will - not sure it’s easy to just turn off the caring/emotional tap when 10s of thousands of avoidable deaths are still happening

thats before long covid is considered - a point of some fierce debate at times but most agree it exists and the scale of the impact still a bit of an unknown

1 hour ago, Gards said:

Reduced threat.

They could be spreading around a variant more resistant to the vaccines. 

Footballfirst

One point of positive news from today's figures is that the 7day/100k rate has dropped below 100 for the first time since the recent lockdown was imposed.

Also a little backtracking from NS suggesting that some "rural" areas will go to Level 2 on 26 April.  

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

One point of positive news from today's figures is that the 7day/100k rate has dropped below 100 for the first time since the recent lockdown was imposed.

Also a little backtracking from NS suggesting that some area will start in Level 2 on 26 April.  

“ a little “ lol she’s obviously had her fingers burnt after that dismal performance yesterday . Good to see more clarity though . Shame she didn’t do it yesterday . 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Her speech is nearly slurred and slow  today , she must be on the tramodol 

She should stop reading your post then.

:P

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Slowing things down so that all the morons who have been throwing tantrums can keep up with her points. 

What’s the point of her broadcast now. We are locked down till April 

Unless something changes between now and then there is no point in her repeating herself over and over again.

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Slowing things down so that all the morons who have been throwing tantrums can keep up with her points. 

aye so what about her Vicky Pollard impersonation yesterday then ???? Break neck speed...did the " morons" no understand that like ? Pathetic...oh you must be peed off i guess as shes nearly following BJ now...shame that.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

What’s the point of her broadcast now. We are locked down till April 

Unless something changes between now and then there is no point in her repeating herself over and over again.

I think the repetition is more reflective of the questions she is asked.

8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Give it a rest ffs

Why?  Dont like what i write scoll by .  You must be into censorship if you dont like others views or observations unless they allign with yours.. hard lines. 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

aye so what about her Vicky Pollard impersonation yesterday then ???? Break neck speed...did the " morons" no understand that like ? Pathetic...oh you must be peed off i guess as shes nearly following BJ now...shame that.

Too fast yesterday, too slow today, looking forward to her sounding too feeble and womanly for you tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Ad hominem ad nauseam. ;)

4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Further to the modelling above, the 55,000 should be seen in the context of the number of deaths expected until June 2022. That is approximately 70 weeks away, so an average of 786 a week or 112 a day.  Given that England is currently averaging around 400 a day, a fair proportion of the deaths will occur in the next three months or so until the vaccine rollout covers all the adult population.  The modelling assumption is that the final take up of those eligible to receive the vaccine will be 79.1%. 

We've got to avoid getting caught up with scientific modelling that does not contextualise their findings. 55k deaths is nothing more than a headline figure. When extended to June 2022, that equates , as you say, to 786 a week. 12k die every week of every year so, taken in that context,  786 is a small percentage.  

We are also not taking into account the damage to the lives and futures of millions of people that lockdowns cause. 

Going forward, lockdown needs to come off the table as a measure used to control the virus. The vast majority of adults will be vaccinated over the next few weeks and months and so issues regarding groups that, for whatever reason, are still vulnerable are a matter for the NHS. It will be an extremely small percentage of the population and extremely damaging could not be justified.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ad hominem ad nauseam. ;)

oh look hes quoting latin...must be something profound..... :) 

3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

One minute she is puritanical t-total kill joy out to ruin everyones fun because she doesn't do fun herself, then she is a pill popping, powder snorting druggy who appears on TV and in Parliament whacked out her nut.

Interesting.

Tramadol is hardly a " powder snorting druggy" medication....seriously....she was on speedy yesterday probably...shes on the comedown today clearly therefore taking a trammy .....least its knocked some sense into her as she has actually been far more amenable .  One might even say she has offered some , dare i say " hope"....

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We've got to avoid getting caught up with scientific modelling that does not contextualise their findings. 55k deaths is nothing more than a headline figure. When extended to June 2022, that equates , as you say, to 786 a week. 12k die every week of every year so, taken in that context,  786 is a small percentage.  

We are also not taking into account the damage to the lives and futures of millions of people that lockdowns cause. 

Going forward, lockdown needs to come off the table as a measure used to control the virus. The vast majority of adults will be vaccinated over the next few weeks and months and so issues regarding groups that, for whatever reason, are still vulnerable are a matter for the NHS. It will be an extremely small percentage of the population and extremely damaging could not be justified.

The worrying aspect is that the may still continue to use infections as a barometer for not lifting restrictions when its hospital admissions, ICU and deaths which matter and the rates of how many have been vaccinated. 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

😃 that’s pretty witty for around these parts👍

or terribly pretentious......

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

oh look hes quoting latin...must be something profound..... :) 

This pandemic has really brought out the worst in you, James. Well that and your lapping up of everything spouted by jonesy (who should know better) and Enzo (who I strongly suspect does know better). I used to really appreciate you as a poster too...

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

😃 that’s pretty witty for around these parts👍

Just watch out for my next one in Ancient Greek. :D

Just now, redjambo said:

This pandemic has really brought out the worst in you, James. Well that and your lapping up of everything spouted by jonesy (who should know better) and Enzo (who I strongly suspect does know better). I used to really appreciate you as a poster too...

Oh well . Never mind. People change in life. Thats what life is about. Im sorry that you consider i " lap" up every thing Jonesy or Enzo say. I would say I agree with them. You in turn " lap up" what a number of posters say on this. Its natural to appreciate and agree with people who are on the same wavelength as oneself.   Its hardly brought the worse in me  . Its completely invigorated me and opened my eyes to the negligence of this current Govt. 

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Too west coast sounding anaw.  Amirite?

Naw i like the Glasgie patter mate..........

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic