Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

The problem appears to be organisation of supply with the GPs not getting any or little supply on time and not being able to therefore book the appointments.

Jason Leitch was on Drivetime last night saying once a GP is authorised to order, one week 70 odd turn up, the next nearly 700.

He did say the mass vaccination centre orders or more reliable.

I don't know why the presenter didn't ask why that is the case or ask to get the end to end process explained.

But it's not just here.  I heard on 5L last Sunday evening a 98 year old woman who had been on the programme 2 weeks before saying she hadn't heard anything and 5L took up her case.

Her GP Practice has said they have no supplies to vaccinate her and are hopeful of being able to do her in middle of February.  (I can't recall if England also had an 05 Feb date for 80s+)

Edited by DETTY29

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

75/6 not sure which, not 80 though. 

Yeah, as said to red think the wife is going to take the baton on.

He’s a bit deaf and the way the call was described was a farce to me. However, no idea if a ‘breakdown in communication’ as he was asked if English was his first language by some ‘foreigner’ on the phone according to him. Let’s just say that ratchet up, his ‘casual’ racism up a bit🙈

He should defo have been contacted so the wife will get to the bottom of it no doubt. 

Some of the comms haven't been great on a Health Board by Heath Board basis to tell us how to expect to be contacted, but NHS Lothian primary approach is GP appointments for 75+.  I can't recall if it's mainly telephoned to set up or letter.

If it's GP he is getting per my post above to @frankblack the GPs will be having a helluva time trying to organise due to supply inconsistences.

3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Some of the comms haven't been great on a Health Board by Heath Board basis to tell us how to expect to be contacted, but NHS Lothian primary approach is GP appointments for 75+.  I can't recall if it's mainly telephoned to set up or letter.

If it's GP he is getting per my post above to @frankblack the GPs will be having a helluva time trying to organise due to supply inconsistences.

Precisely - my Mum only got her first jag last week, and she is mid-80s.

23 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

FFS are people really desperate to be worst in the world so they can moan about the toaries - unbelievably sad .

:lol: you're being ironic right? 

24 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

FFS are people really desperate to be worst in the world so they can moan about the toaries - unbelievably sad .

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

If you set a target and dont meet it you have failed - more army medics requested earlier going round homes for example could have had all over 80s who dont have covid or other complications vaccinated . At any rate the target has been missed whether they catch up later or not but as usual with the SG failure is the new success .

giphy.webp

46 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

84,145 in the 75-79 age group still to be done by 15 February.

Similarly 123,890 in the 70-74 age range.

10 days to meet the  next target, 208,035 @ 20,804 a day looks easily achievable, although there are two Sundays within that time frame.

Isn't there 110k clinically vulnerable to include?

My mate and his wife both booked in this morning as shielders as his wife (thankfully recovered) was under cancer treatment.

Weakened Offender
43 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not trolling Sadj.

It's the only thing the UK government have got right to be fair.

Agreed. 

Supplies during February are lower than the 'new' weekly vaccinating rate.

Maybe a good job some were held back after all.

Can you imagine doing 250k-ish one week then going back down to only 70k odd.

Week - AZ  - Pfeizer - Net after wastage

1/02/2021 106,600 80,925 178,149

08/02/2021 160,560 81,900 230,337

15/02/2021 0 82,875 78,731

22/02/2021 118,800 82,875 191,591

Edited by DETTY29

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The number of people who required to be vaccinated in groups 1 and 2 by 5th February was 555,000. With a day's vaccinations still to be counted 742,000 people have been vaccinated, extended to over 70s etc., but includes more than 90% of the over 80s.

Do you view it as a failure to hit the target, if there is a percentage of over 80s who don't want the vaccine, or were unable to take up their appointments for any of a multitude of reasons but have been rescheduled, or perhaps have an appointment for a home vaccination in the next few days?

I view it as a huge success.   

I wish people (not you) would stop the political point scoring. 

The fact is the vaccine roll out is going well all over the UK. 

Instead of point scoring we should be giving our governments a bit of credit where its due. 

There is now light at the end of the tunnel at last. 💡

Footballfirst
37 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Isn't there 110k clinically vulnerable to include?

My mate and his wife both booked in this morning as shielders as his wife (thankfully recovered) was under cancer treatment.

Yes you are correct, Mea culpa.

So 31k a day on the target groups to meet the mid-Feb deadline. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Just so we can have stats behind the argument about the UK's death toll, here's the latest ranking from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries (refer to the last column):

We're not the worst, but we're not far off it.

577077778_Screenshotat2021-02-0614-40-54.thumb.png.68f24b0d87dc06f3eb6c0a41d6b57e82.png

I'm surprised the American death toll isn't higher given their obese population and healthcare system. Their cases are far higher than ours but we have more deaths. Are their hospitals better equipped to deal with Covid patients?

11 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I wish people (not you) would stop the political point scoring. 

The fact is the vaccine roll out is going well all over the UK. 

Instead of point scoring we should be giving our governments a bit of credit where its due. 

There is now light at the end of the tunnel at last. 💡

What do you think the offer of more support to Scotland from the Sectretary of State to Scotland was the day after England announced their care home first dose workstream was complete as such?

When in reality it was only 80% and the remainder have been change controlled into another phase.  

And we only found this out because Channel 4 sent a big hitter in Alex Thomson up for a week to put the boot into Scotland but ended up getting to the bottom of the England position.

Getting involved politically can't be helped.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm surprised the American death toll isn't higher given their obese population and healthcare system. Their cases are far higher than ours but we have more deaths. Are their hospitals better equipped to deal with Covid patients?

Or are a lot of them suffering at home because they can't afford health care ? 

14 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Quite possibly the most self-aware post you've ever come out with

Well played sir well played

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Or are a lot of them suffering at home because they can't afford health care ? 

Would still get counted in the deaths though surely, unless there are a lot of undiscovered dead bodies!

6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I think this'll be the biggest factor –

US Population Density: approximately 35.9 residents per square km

UK Population Density: approximately 275 residents per square km

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Their death rate was about the same as ours just a few weeks ago, as far as I remember, but then ours just accelerated away relatively-speaking. I've no idea of the cause(s). It was just something I noticed when I had a look at that table from time to time.

30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

So @JamesM48 is now the most prolific poster on this thread and that occurred after learning multi quote. @redjambobreaks into the top 4 on the basis with his daily number updates.

I really need to get out more, ****ing COVID,

leo-dicaprio-champagne-tumblr.jpg?format

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

What do you think the offer of more support to Scotland from the Sectretary of State to Scotland was the day after England announced their care home first dose workstream was complete as such?

When in reality it was only 80% and the remainder have been change controlled into another phase.  

And we only found this out because Channel 4 sent a big hitter in Alex Thomson up for a week to put the boot into Scotland but ended up getting to the bottom of the England position.

Getting involved politically can't be helped.

That's what I mean about political point scoring. 

None of our governments have come out of this well. 

Forget the politics and get the vaccines out. It's a huge project and there are bound to be slip ups here and there whatever side of the border. 

I'm sick of all the fighting at a time when people should be pulling together. 

joondalupjambo

Vaccines do not stop you getting a virus only reduces the full force of it and the older you are then it should reduce the risk of serious illness, hospitalisation or death in some cases.   We were told we vaccinated care homes first.  

Was that not to have happened first week of January onwards?

We now have another Care Home, this time in Fife today announcing ten deaths?  Is it because Covid was in the home first week of January and so no vaccines could be delivered in the place to anyone?

I get confused with this given the whole point of the vaccine was to protect the oldest in society.

3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Vaccines do not stop you getting a virus only reduces the full force of it and the older you are then it should reduce the risk of serious illness, hospitalisation or death in some cases.   We were told we vaccinated care homes first.  

We now have another Care Home, this time in Fife today announcing ten deaths?  Is it because Covid was in the home first week of January and so no vaccines could be delivered in the place to anyone?

I get confused with this given the whole point of the vaccine was to protect the oldest in society.

First positive case at that care home was 20th December. It was likely rampant in there before the vaccine rollout. 

11 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

From reading the article, the first case was on 20 December and they've only now been 14 days without a case. So it does look like the vaccines didn't get there in time to have a significant effect (remembering that they need 2-3 weeks to achieve maximum protection). My surprise is that I thought that there was regular testing going in care homes and proper isolation in case of outbreaks - how on earth did they end up with a toll of 25 residents and 43 staff testing positive?

Edited by redjambo

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

First positive case at that care home was 20th December. It was likely rampant in there before the vaccine rollout. 

Ok that makes sense then in this case.

I wonder if there is a point in time where vaccines were delivered and then there have been deaths or deaths occur?  That would be grim.

3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Ok that makes sense then in this case.

I wonder if there is a point in time where vaccines were delivered and then there have been deaths or deaths occur?  That would be grim.

The Herald article says that vaccinations were first given in that care home on 6 January, so that will unfortunately have probably been the case.

Edited by redjambo

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

From reading the article, the first case was on 20 December and they've only now been 14 days without a case. So it does look like the vaccines didn't get there in time to have an effect (remembering that they need 2-3 weeks to achieve maximum protection). My surprise is that I thought that there was regular testing going in care homes and proper isolation in case of outbreaks - how on earth did they end up with a toll of 25 residents and 43 staff testing positive?

Funnily enough that is what my old Mum is always saying when she hears these things.  She thinks care homes have policies and thinks as soon as a Covid case is identified then that person should, as with any infectious disease be isolated.  If testing is in bulk, and not regular then I guess care homes do not or cannot identify single cases, only multiple cases.  By then it might be too late to easily counter.

Have to still think it is staff, or contract people like health workers, other NHS staff, hairdressers if still working in there etc. who are in and out of multiple homes that are the carriers.

My Mum says she would now never go into a home, over my dead body she says and wants all services she might need paid for and delivered to her flat if she needs it.  Cannot blame her when you read what is happening.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
15 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I think this'll be the biggest factor –

US Population Density: approximately 35.9 residents per square km

UK Population Density: approximately 275 residents per square km

will be one of many factors 

would be interesting to see the figures spilt between general population and institutional settings like care homes and hospitals

joondalupjambo
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The Herald article says that vaccinations were first given in that care home on 6 January, so that will unfortunately have probably been the case.

Yeah well that was no use in this case.  I was meaning more in general terms for any care home.  At what point do we worry, i.e. when vaccines were given and then deaths or serious ill health happens.  If we vaccine in care homes and then nobody dies or gets really ill as a result then fantastic but can we achieve that, doubt it?

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Another day closer to normal living. 👏

Not for everyone.  And I am not just taking about the high risk groups. 

Disabled people looking at another year stuck at home. 

2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah well that was no use in this case.  I was meaning more in general terms for any care home.  At what point do we worry, i.e. when vaccines were given and then deaths or serious ill health happens.  If we vaccine in care homes and then nobody dies or gets really ill as a result then fantastic but can we achieve that, doubt it?

The vaccines are not 100% effective, so we will probably still have some deaths, but they should make the situation far better than it was before. What we shouldn't do is relax in care home settings etc. as regular testing should continue and isolation protocols should be refined and be ready to put in place if need be, imo.

Rupert Pupkin
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It will have to be two buses rather than one if she was going from Loanhead to the community hospital.

My wife is going to take her, she has been watching our daughter anyway.

joondalupjambo
Just now, redjambo said:

The vaccines are not 100% effective, so we will probably still have some deaths, but they should make the situation far better than it was before. What we shouldn't do is relax in care home settings etc. as regular testing should continue and isolation protocols should be refined and be ready to put in place if need be, imo.

Absolutely and think the bit in bold is key.  Care Homes know how serious this is and so as a body they need, with the help of the SG and sector experts to put something in place that was better than they had I would have thought.

Rupert Pupkin
3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

It's hardly utter madness. 

So asking my mum to get on two buses and travel to an area she isn’t supposed to, isn’t madness ?? When she can get one bus to a place 10 minutes away.. Aye ok then.. 

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin

The Coronavirus situation must be nearly under control, as the new advert on Forth2 is warning if you have a new and persistent cough, you may have Cancer.. GTF!!

Adam_the_legend
11 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

The Coronavirus situation must be nearly under control, as the new advert on Forth2 is warning if you have a new and persistent cough, you may have Cancer.. GTF!!

:cornette:

10 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Anyone with a persistent cough needs to get tested for covid and if negative but continues for 3 needs to see their GP.

Rupert Pupkin
35 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Anyone with a persistent cough needs to get tested for covid and if negative but continues for 3 needs to see their GP.

I have a persistent cough from November to March... Every year !
It’s not Covid, or Cancer, it’s what happens when you are  working on a cold wet building site ..  

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Their death rate was about the same as ours just a few weeks ago, as far as I remember, but then ours just accelerated away relatively-speaking. I've no idea of the cause(s). It was just something I noticed when I had a look at that table from time to time.

It depends on the definition of death rate. Absolute numbers since Covid struck,   numbers per population since then. Absolute numbers over a specified period e.g. last seven days or numbers per population over that period. On any measure the UK has done very badly.  But unless you are very selective in your definition "UK worst in the world" isn't true

And in football terms it isn't half time yet.

18 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

I have a persistent cough from November to March... Every year !
It’s not Covid, or Cancer, it’s what happens when you are  working on a cold wet building site ..  

Patient zero right here. ;)

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It depends on the definition of death rate. Absolute numbers since Covid struck,   numbers per population since then. Absolute numbers over a specified period e.g. last seven days or numbers per population over that period. On any measure the UK has done very badly.  But unless you are very selective in your definition "UK worst in the world" isn't true

And in football terms it isn't half time yet.

Death "rate". No, that wouldn't therefore be absolute numbers since Covid struck. I was referring to the figures maintained by worldometer.com and of which I posted a snapshot on the previous page of this thread, i.e. deaths per million population officially reported as being due to Covid since the beginning of the pandemic.

Rupert Pupkin
15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Patient zero right here. ;)

If only I hadn’t had “Bat Chow Mein” that night..... 😂😂😂

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

You'll be bloody lucky, I've been off work for 5 weeks and only managed to see a practice nurse so far.

Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

You'll be bloody lucky, I've been off work for 5 weeks and only managed to see a practice nurse so far.

Its like that up here FinnBarr fill in a form online but theres not appropriate choices so just have to send a general email then wait for calls back. I think if your leg was hanging off theyd still try to not see you physically  

3 hours ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

So asking my mum to get on two buses and travel to an area she isn’t supposed to, isn’t madness ?? When she can get one bus to a place 10 minutes away.. Aye ok then.. 

That's what I had to do mate.

Made it even harder for myself by getting off at the wrong bus stop and had to walk back a couple of hundred yards in the pouring rain.

Just glad to get it done tbh.

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

A good direction of travel from most of the stats.

A couple of negatives behind those numbers though. Edinburgh's 70 cases is up on previous days.  ICU admissions at 17 was the highest since 21st January

A wee heads up on ICU numbers, possibly affected by intake from other Health Boards!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic