Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

43915 (27515 last Friday) 1st doses vaccinated yesterday, now up to 786427.  Maybe a wee bit disappointing not to be staying close to yesterday's high and a 9% decrease.

• 272,365 frontline health and social care workers exceeding the initial target of 230,000 staff provided by Health Boards.

Edited your post, but never quite see how the target can be understated by such a margin.

Might be a lot of "friends & family" getting a phonecall to avoid waste of vaccine towards the end of the day**

**Not adverse to this factor as "the more the merrier", but will it affect timing or availability of 2nd dose??

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I can't wait to read the sad-acts' lies and nonsense when that happens. 😁

Not a problem, BJ just needs to listen to NS daily briefing to get the answers!!

Weakened Offender
19 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

A wee heads up on ICU numbers, possibly affected by intake from other Health Boards!

Maybe we're relieving the pressure on the English hospitals. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Death "rate". No, that wouldn't therefore be absolute numbers since Covid struck. I was referring to the figures maintained by worldometer.com and of which I posted a snapshot on the previous page of this thread, i.e. deaths per million population officially reported as being due to Covid since the beginning of the pandemic.

Annual rate. Quarterly rate. Monthly  rate. Weekly rate. Daily rate. Take your pick. As people do. The UK record so far has been terrible but I have seen definitions used e.g. by the Guardian ignoring for example population numbers to suit an agenda.

And of course there is no universal definition of what constitutes a Coronavirus death. 

Footballfirst

According to the FT, a report due to be published on Monday will state that the AZ vaccine has significantly reduced efficacy against the SA variant.  Not good news, but may explain the government's apparent urgency to test everyone in specific postcodes in England.

https://www.ft.com/content/e9bbd4fe-e6bf-4383-bfd3-be64140a3f36?sharetype=blocked 

Edited by Footballfirst

17 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Stop being stupid! Let go of the politics & try to see a reasonable answer to the issue raised by FF

Look at Falkirk & Clacks figures. Do you think Forth Valley will be able to provide enough ICU beds. What about the Health Boards in the west of the country. I'm sure I read a couple of weeks ago Lanarkshire were having to divert patients.

That’s disappointing news about AZ and the SA variant - but I daresay work is already being done in tweaking a vaccine to accommodate this.

It’ll be interesting to see if there is any benefit to mixing the first and second vaccines you receive (bit in the news a couple of days ago)

Nucky Thompson
42 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

More like relieving the pressure on Glasgow south.

25 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

According to the FT, a report due to be published on Monday will state that the AZ vaccine has significantly reduced efficacy against the SA variant.  Not good news, but may explain the government's apparent urgency to test everyone in specific postcodes in England.

https://www.ft.com/content/e9bbd4fe-e6bf-4383-bfd3-be64140a3f36?sharetype=blocked 

It may be a short term problem but does it just measure the antibody response? Or T cells too? Allied to natural immune responses in the vast majority of the population,  the reduced efficacy will just mean some suffer mild symptoms. Hopefully it won't make much difference in the scheme of things as the vaccines are, apparently,  easily tweaked.

Nucky Thompson
34 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Although none of the 2000 patients died or were hospitalised , the findings have not yet been peer reviewed 

Weakened Offender
15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

More like relieving the pressure on Glasgow south.

I know. The figures through there are still very worrying. 

1 hour ago, 2205ian said:

Edited your post, but never quite see how the target can be understated by such a margin.

Might be a lot of "friends & family" getting a phonecall to avoid waste of vaccine towards the end of the day**

**Not adverse to this factor as "the more the merrier", but will it affect timing or availability of 2nd dose??

I know some NHS volunteers are being offered the jag, which may not have been in the original numbers and there has been stories that non NHS service staff such as suppliers are being offered late in the day so supplies don't go to waste.

I'm helping out from week of 15th Feb and NHS Lothian hope to give me a jag before I start.

Will I be added to front line numbers or 'others' until my cohort is up and running?

And if they add me in one set, will they remember to delete me from the other?

The key thing is that by doing folk early is that there is real merit in doing them and it doesn't balls up the 2nd jag plan.

Edited by DETTY29

Footballfirst

ICU bed occupancy is still down by 25% from just over two weeks ago.  It was just the one day figure of ICU admissions that stood out against falling occupancy rates across the country.

e.g. Greater Glasgow 49 ICU beds in use on 22 Jan, but 29 today.  Lanarkshire 25 on 25 Jan, but 20 today.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I know. The figures through there are still very worrying. 

Maybe something to do with the matriarch ruling the gaff 

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

I know some NHS volunteers are being offered the jag, which may not have been in the original numbers and there has been stories that non NHS service staff such as suppliers are being offered late in the day so supplies don't go to waste.

I'm helping out from week of 15th Feb and NHS Lothian hope to give me a jag before I start.

Will I be added to to front line numbers or 'others' until my cohort is up and running?

And if they add me in one set, will they remember to delete me from the other.

The key thing is that by doing folk early is that there is real merit in doing them and it doesn't balls up the 2nd jag plan.

👍.

Hope you get your jag early, especially for the work that you are undertaking.

Good luck & power to your elbow.

Looking forward to the day I can be added to the stats of getting the vaccine.

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Maybe something to do with the matriarch ruling the gaff 

They're ruling the bits that are doing well too so I'd think not. 😊

15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

ICU bed occupancy is still down by 25% from just over two weeks ago.  It was just the one day figure of ICU admissions that stood out against falling occupancy rates across the country.

e.g. Greater Glasgow 49 ICU beds in use on 22 Jan, but 29 today.  Lanarkshire 25 on 25 Jan, but 20 today.

Thanks for the update FF re my comment on ICU numbers in Edinburgh. I clearly do not micromanage the data, but tend to pay attention to the daily stats provided on this thread.

Hopefully the number reported for Edinburgh are a "blip" as the quicker we are out of this lockdown & less of the population are suffering from the virus the better.

I tend to bypass a few pages as the content can be quite turgid reading at times, but look forward to @redjambo daily updates, hoping that I'm a day closer to getting back on the golf course for some much needed exercise! Unfortunately caught up in the LA boundary restrictions at present, albeit not many good golfing days recently

Edited by 2205ian

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Annual rate. Quarterly rate. Monthly  rate. Weekly rate. Daily rate. Take your pick. As people do. The UK record so far has been terrible but I have seen definitions used e.g. by the Guardian ignoring for example population numbers to suit an agenda.

And of course there is no universal definition of what constitutes a Coronavirus death. 

A rate does not need to be measured per time interval. In this case it is per capita, more precisely per million people. I assume you're just trying to pick holes in things for the hell of it, or else you would be paying more attention to the things you are commenting on. *sigh*

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Thanks for the update FF re my comment on ICU numbers in Edinburgh. I clearly do not micromanage the data, but tend to pay attention to the daily stats provided on this thread.

Hopefully the number reported for Edinburgh are a "blip" as the quicker we are out of this lockdown & less of the population are suffering from the virus the better.

The recent peak of ICU numbers in NHS Lothian was 20 on 24 Jan. It has been at 15 for the last four days.

Edited by Footballfirst

6 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I think this'll be the biggest factor –

US Population Density: approximately 35.9 residents per square km

UK Population Density: approximately 275 residents per square km

Could well be a factor, the US does have a lot of very densely populated cities though, mostly down the East coast.

Similar to Scotland (but obviously in a far greater scale) in that the population is packed into condensed areas and then there are large parts of the country with barely anyone for miles and miles. 

7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Their death rate was about the same as ours just a few weeks ago, as far as I remember, but then ours just accelerated away relatively-speaking. I've no idea of the cause(s). It was just something I noticed when I had a look at that table from time to time.

Interesting. Guess our stronger variant hasn't hit America yet.

10 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

So @JamesM48 is now the most prolific poster on this thread and that occurred after learning multi quote. @redjambobreaks into the top 4 on the basis with his daily number updates.

I really need to get out more, ****ing COVID,

Oh dear ! 😎

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh dear ! 😎

🤣 There should be some sort of award...maybe a queue jump for the vaccine or similar? Congratulations on such a coveted award James 🤘🏻👌🏻 

My wife has been allocated her vaccine appointment at the DRIVE THROUGH vaccination centre at Queen Margaret University just outside Musselburgh. 

Only trouble is neither of us

drives 😢

Phoned the help line yesterday but the girl on the phone didn't have access to much information about whether there was a pedestrian facility there. She checked out all the local appointments diary for an alternative venue but no appointments available. She promised to leave a note on the system but I will try the Web chat facility which for some reason wasn't available yesterday. 

I'm sure it will get sorted but she won't be the only ones without a car who will be given a 'DRIVE THROUGH APPOINTMENT' 😁 

Edited by luckydug

8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

My wife has been allocated her vaccine appointment at the DRIVE THROUGH vaccination centre at Queen Margaret University just outside Musselburgh. 

drives 😢

Phoned the help line yesterday but the girl on the phone didn't have access to much information about whether there was a pedestrian facility there. She checked out all the local appointments diary for an alternative venue but no appointments available. She promised to leave a note on the system but I will try the Web chat facility which for some reason wasn't available yesterday. 

I'm sure it will get sorted but she won't be the only ones without a car who will be given a 'DRIVE THROUGH APPOINTMENT' 😁 

No got a clue if you can walk up but I do know that the number 30 drops you off at the door 

6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

drives 😢

https://www.qmu.ac.uk/news-and-events/nhs-covid-19-drive-through-vaccination-centre-at-queen-margaret-university/

Looks like it's Drive-through only so I assume you'll need to arrange an appointment elsewhere.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, luckydug said:

drives 😢

Hopefully you’ll get it sorted.

I’m sure it’ll get sorted.

The anti SG will be a long shortly telling you how bad they are.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Hopefully you’ll get it sorted.

I’m soured it’ll get sorted.

The anti SG will be a long shortly telling you how bad they are.

Not saying it's the Scottish Government to blame but it's really pretty poorly organised: letters sent out should really cover the basics of how you're expected to be able to travel to your vaccine centre & the helpline should have been able to confirm this too.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Doogz said:

Not saying it's the Scottish Government to blame but it's really pretty poorly organised: letters sent out should really cover the basics of how you're expected to be able to travel to your vaccine centre & the helpline should have been able to confirm this too.

I agree.

Thing is its really handy for us as the train station is just next to the University. 

Maybe they will realise and make a walk up option available. 

This vaccination centre is opening for the first time on Wednesday so I would bet there are lots of people in our area with the same enquiry 🤔

29 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Thing is its really handy for us as the train station is just next to the University. 

Maybe they will realise and make a walk up option available. 

This vaccination centre is opening for the first time on Wednesday so I would bet there are lots of people in our area with the same enquiry 🤔

Grab a taxi from the station and back. If it's not too expensive. 

22 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe things are changing. Understandable when it risks people not going.

We tried to change from Ingliston on Tuesday and couldn't do it either on phone or online. It's a 65-69 appointment.

But got a tip for a free taxi (donation) through Dial a Ride. Taking anyone not just with  disabilities to help get people vaccines.

https://www.hcltransport.org.uk/dial-a-ride

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

drives 😢

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not sure if Mikey's link will help as a cheaper alternative.

Doesn't seem the best solution, the QMU drive in that is.  Suppose proof in pudding will be what take up is like.

10 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Not sure if Mikey's link will help as a cheaper alternative.

Doesn't seem the best solution, the QMU drive in that is.  Suppose proof in pudding will be what take up is like.

I agree, but needs must. 

21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

how much does it cost to be in a waiting taxi for 15-30 mins?

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

how much does it cost to be in a waiting taxi for 15-30 mins?

I don't know the Edinburgh rates. And don't remember what mine were. But on the other hand, how much does not having the vaccine cost?

And It was only an idea, BTW. You are allowed to have them. 

Just been informed it was about a pound every 5 minutes. 

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

I don't know the Edinburgh rates. And don't remember what mine was. But on the other hand, how much does not having the vaccine cost?

with the amount of people who are furloughed or have lost their jobs, paying for a taxi might mean they cant afford food for a week

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

with the amount of people who are furloughed or have lost their jobs, paying for a taxi might mean they cant afford food for a week

It's a matter of how much do you want the vaccine. If you're eager enough, you'll find a way. 

47 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't know the Edinburgh rates. And don't remember what mine were. But on the other hand, how much does not having the vaccine cost?

Just been informed it was about a pound every 5 minutes. 

Thanks for your input. 

It's possible to take a taxi but I don't think it will be necessary. 

It's a new facility just opening this week, once they realise the number of non driver appointments, they will make facilities available for pedestrian access. 

It should be easily fixed just hire one of the rooms at the Uni or a portacabin would do. 🤔

The girl on the phone in trying to be helpful says can you not get someone to give you a lift ? 😂

I replied, is car sharing not against the rules ? 

56 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's a matter of how much do you want the vaccine. If you're eager enough, you'll find a way. 

This brings us back to a discussion on here a few days ago. 

Some people think it is acceptable for people to be HAVING to fork out for taxis to vaccination centres. 

I am one of those who think it's not acceptable and I don't believe the SG would either. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I agree, but needs must. 

There just needs to be a form of contingency for folk that really can't make it by car and not put to the very back of the queue.

But there will be plenty folk complaining they can't get when not having a car but ask family for help all the time, when needing to go to things such as medical appointments, but will still complain.

Edited by DETTY29

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Thanks for your input. 

It's possible to take a taxi but I don't think it will be necessary. 

It's a new facility just opening this week, once they realise the number of non driver appointments, they will make facilities available for pedestrian access. 

It should be easily fixed just hire one of the rooms at the Uni or a portacabin would do. 🤔

The girl on the phone in trying to be helpful says can you not get someone to give you a lift ? 😂

I replied, is car sharing not against the rules ? 

It'll get sorted. 

31 minutes ago, luckydug said:

This brings us back to a discussion on here a few days ago. 

Some people think it is acceptable for people to be HAVING to fork out for taxis to vaccination centres. 

I am one of those who think it's not acceptable and I don't believe the SG would either. 

Stop moaning, and get some much needed money into the Scottish economy. 

::troll::

Anyway, good luck, bud. 

49 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

There just needs to be a form of contingency for folk that really can't make it by car and not put to the very back of the queue.

But there will be plenty folk complaining they can't get when not having a car but ask family for help all the time, when needing to go to things such as medical appointments, but will still complain.

Love a good moan me 👍

It's aw that wee Krankies fault, SG, Jason Leich etc etc coodny run a piss up in a brewery. 

Ahm no votin SNP again unless Krankie comes tae the hoose and drives the wife there and back. 

It's no as if she's got anything else to dae 😁

Scottish numbers: 7 February 2021

Summary

• 584 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-311]
  • 9,479 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 6.9% of these were positive [-8,461; +1.0%]
  • 7 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends) [-41]
  • 108 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-9]
  • 1,710 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-19]
  • 839,266 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 10,582 have received their second dose [+52,839; +250]

On 06/02/2021 at 14:04, DETTY29 said:

43915 (27515 last Friday) 1st doses vaccinated yesterday, now up to 786427.  Maybe a wee bit disappointing not to be staying close to yesterday's high and a 9% decrease.

• 29,817 care home residents (99% of residents in older adult care homes and 93% of residents in all care homes)
  • 40,225 care home staff (89% of staff in older adult care homes and 77% of staff in all care homes)
  • 231,972 people aged 80 or over living in the community (93%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately
  • 272,365 frontline health and social care workers exceeding the initial target of 230,000 staff provided by Health Boards.
  • 105,855 people aged 75-79 living in the community (56%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately
  • 56,110 people aged 70-74 living in the community (20%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately.  

Good day on the vaccination front yesterday.

52839 first doses.

As at 8:30am on Sunday 7 February:

• 839,266 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 10,582 have received their second dose
  • 29,863 care home residents (99.5% of residents in older adult care homes and 93% of residents in all care homes)
  • 40,295 care home staff (90% of staff in older adult care homes and 77% of staff in all care homes)
  • 235,089 people aged 80 or over living in the community (94%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately
  • 273,086 frontline health and social care workers exceeding the initial target of 230,000 staff provided by Health Boards
  • 121,447 people aged 75-79 living in the community (64%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately
  • 72,734 people aged 70-74 living in the community (26%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately
Edited by DETTY29

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 7 February 2021

Summary

• 584 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-311]
  • 9,479 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 6.9% of these were positive [-8,461; +1.0%]
  • 7 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends) [-41]
  • 108 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-9]
  • 1,710 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-19]
  • 839,266 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 10,582 have received their second dose [+52,839; +250]

Should be close to 1.2m by the 15th.

The latest 7-day stats. Still moving in the right direction as a whole. :thumb: Wee spike in Clackmannanshire.

Pre- 7-day per-100,000 cases                
Council Area Tier Lockdown Today Yesterday     5 Feb 4 Feb 3 Feb 2 Feb 1 Feb ... 20 Dec
Scotland     111 119 -8   121 125 126 132 138 ... 98
Falkirk 4 2 239 243 -4   226 218 194 178 173 ... 60
Clackmannanshire 4 3 210 186 +24   179 171 171 177 159 ... 148
North Lanarkshire 4 3 171 181 -10   183 192 202 216 224 ... 119
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 168 180 -12   180 170 175 166 171 ... 120
Glasgow City 4 3 159 176 -17   183 190 190 199 209 ... 129
Renfrewshire 4 3 156 166 -10   173 179 173 174 176 ... 116
South Lanarkshire 4 3 156 161 -5   162 176 178 187 197 ... 120
East Ayrshire 4 3 139 157 -18   152 155 162 169 173 ... 153
Stirling 4 3 139 139 0   134 136 132 138 143 ... 70
East Renfrewshire 4 3 134 144 -10   149 154 169 185 191 ... 101
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 122 129 -7   140 155 164 173 179 ... 70
North Ayrshire 4 3 122 153 -31   157 169 170 180 189 ... 175
Dundee City 4 3 121 131 -10   127 126 125 124 122 ... 113
Angus 4 2 118 121 -3   111 108 101 120 133 ... 37
Inverclyde 4 2 114 130 -16   140 140 134 147 153 ... 59
West Lothian 4 3 107 126 -19   130 138 134 145 149 ... 83
South Ayrshire 4 3 103 106 -3   112 123 123 128 135 ... 98
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4 1 97 97 0   86 82 97 97 75 ... 22
Dunoon & Aroon’ 4/3 2 95 97 -2   98 89 84 80 82 ... 29
Midlothian 4 3 90 85 +5   100 105 101 117 123 ... 136
East Lothian 4 3 86 92 -6   86 91 81 78 76 ... 148
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 80 92 -12   101 103 111 133 138 ... 32
Moray 4 1 72 82 -10   81 83 95 90 99 ... 13
Edinburgh City 4 3 66 67 -1   62 66 68 71 76 ... 109
Fife 4 3 66 70 -4   70 78 81 84 86 ... 97
Perth and Kinross 4 3 61 79 -18   91 99 104 109 116 ... 126
Aberdeen City 4 3 58 52 +6   55 58 66 74 80 ... 163
Scottish Borders 4 1 58 63 -5   66 76 69 77 82 ... 85
Aberdeenshire 4 3 57 55 +2   64 62 58 67 71 ... 88
Highland 4/3 1 51 59 -8   59 59 64 64 73 ... 17
Orkney Islands 3 1 4 4 0   4 4 9 9 22 ... 0
Shetland Islands 3 1 4 0 +4   0 0 0 0 4 ... 0

7-day averages                          
Tests     17583 18252 -669   18840 19038 18793 19328 19484 ... 16839
Positivity rate %     5.9 6.1 -0.2   6.0 6.2 6.3 6.5 6.7 ... 5.2
Hospital (non-ICU)     1703 1731 -28   1760 1780 1802 1821 1830 ... 975
ICU     127 132 -5   136 139 141 143 144 ... 50
Deaths     47 47 0   49 50 54 55 57 ... 25
All Vaccinations     39412 35122 +4290   32742 N/A 27062 25023 23258    
1st Dose     39014 34737 +4277   32394 N/A 26753 24697 22928    
2nd Dose     398 385 +13   348 N/A 309 326 330    

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Good day on the vaccination front yesterday.

52839 first doses.

As at 8:30am on Sunday 7 February:

• 839,266 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 10,582 have received their second dose
  • 29,863 care home residents (99.5% of residents in older adult care homes and 93% of residents in all care homes)
  • 40,295 care home staff (90% of staff in older adult care homes and 77% of staff in all care homes)
  • 235,089 people aged 80 or over living in the community (94%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately
  • 273,086 frontline health and social care workers exceeding the initial target of 230,000 staff provided by Health Boards
  • 121,447 people aged 75-79 living in the community (64%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately
  • 72,734 people aged 70-74 living in the community (26%) – this excludes care home residents who are reported separately

👍

39 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Love a good moan me 👍

It's aw that wee Krankies fault, SG, Jason Leich etc etc coodny run a piss up in a brewery. 

Ahm no votin SNP again unless Krankie comes tae the hoose and drives the wife there and back. 

It's no as if she's got anything else to dae 😁

Ha, ha.

The vaccination progress across all 4 nations is going great.  With the vaccination plan the Q of the SG is why did you (on the face of it) stick as rigidly to align resources to the JCVI priorities and not consider as the other 3 have to do ramp up a bit earlier?

But to get this ramp up we will now be having more variances where more and more folk may appear to be jumping others in the queue, but the vast majority will be done by their cohort target date.

It's annoying hearing same folk moaning about why the above is happening and 'post code lottery' when these are the very factors that need to happen to support a quicker rollout.

It just isn't possible to prioritise everyone in number order 1 to 4.4m, or by individual Health Board area or align everyone to what makes it easiest to get to the closest vaccination centre.

That said, the SG don't appear to be willing to stick it's neck out to say so and the opposition arguing against doing the very things their parties are arguing for or against in other parts of the UK dependent if they are in power or opposition.

Edited by DETTY29

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic