US drone strike takes out top Iranian general

Better call Saul

Just said on Sky News, that a Canadian security source has said the plane suffered a technical issue with one of it's engines which overheated and caught fire.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Sharpie

• Space Mackerel

• ri Alban

Fitzroy Pointon
10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just said on Sky News, that a Canadian security source has said the plane suffered a technical issue with one of it's engines which overheated and caught fire.

The pilots would surely have known and shut down the faulty engine and made an emergency landing on one engine. Well I would hope that's what would have happened. Unless there was a catastrophic failure and maybe an explosion that's taken out hydraulics or something. 

Fitzroy Pointon

I'm always suspicious of footage of an airliner that crashed only that morning yet there is no smouldering wreckage.  

41 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Stick it out. Was a different navy then. 

My daughter's partner just got back from the Gulf on the Kent just before Christmas. My daughter is a teacher in Portsmouth and lives in Waterlooville.

One of my daughters was on the Somerset for a while before transferring up to Faslane, she was also in Comms, she did 4 years.

Had a family day out on the Somerset back in about 2004, great day out, took us out to just under 12 miles out from Plymouth and put on various displays, including being buzzed by a Tornado which was practially skimming the water and going very very fast, they also did a man overboard drill and I was utterly amazed at how quick the Frigate could turn, we were told to hold on to the rope running along the ship, good job as the angle that the ship lurched to was impressive to say the least.  Got shown round most of the ship obviously some areas were off limits, including the Comms room, were not allowed in there.

Great day out, not sure if the Navy still do them now.

8 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

The pilots would surely have known and shut down the faulty engine and made an emergency landing on one engine. Well I would hope that's what would have happened. Unless there was a catastrophic failure and maybe an explosion that's taken out hydraulics or something. 

There wasn't even time for a mayday call, whatever happened happened suddenly.

Fitzroy Pointon
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There wasn't even time for a mayday call, whatever happened happened suddenly.

Sounds a bit TWA 800 to me.

14 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Sounds a bit TWA 800 to me.

Like I said earlier Boeing will be praying it wasn't a mechanical problem, just about the last thing Boeing would want right now.

Space Mackerel
2 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

The last point isn’t really true though, ‘problems’ didn’t exactly start with the invasion of Iraq. It didn’t help things but nations and groups quite happily killed each other in the ME for an eternity before then.

I'm not going to list Chris Hedges journalistic credentials, I would be here forever but he just Tweeted this.

https://www.unz.com/mhudson/america-escalates-its-democratic-oil-war-in-the-near-east/

Space Mackerel
51 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Once an aircraft is on fire, in this case I think it was at 8000 feet and the on board engine fire bottles have been used up, there is only one outcome.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There's a video of it on fire before it crashes

13 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Can't help but sit here and think about the apologists for Trump who claimed he wasn't so bad, much less not the worst president in the modern history of the United States, because he hadn't warmongered yet.

As if all of us, every single one of us, could not have easily sussed out this was going to happen. Or as if even if it hadn't, the steps he has taken to reverse progress on things that affect millions or even billions of lives, like withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accords, and removing Environmental Protection Agency rules, won't have harmed countless individuals in the short and long term. As just a couple of examples among scores of them.

But no, people had to make themselves feel special and woke by claiming he really wasn't that bad.

Welp, nice ****ing work. Bravo. ****ing *****.

This has aged well.

:clyay:

Fitzroy Pointon
40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Like I said earlier Boeing will be praying it wasn't a mechanical problem, just about the last thing Boeing would want right now.

I hope it's not an aircraft issue as I'll be on a 737-800 in a few weeks. I know the Max had problems but that was a computer issue rather than mechanical. 

Fitzroy Pointon

19 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Once an aircraft is on fire, in this case I think it was at 8000 feet and the on board engine fire bottles have been used up, there is only one outcome.

It must have been one hell of a fire. That's a serious mechanical failure. 

20 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

One small flaw for this to have happened here, and that is there was no mayday call, surely the pilots would have had time to radio the tower that they had a problem, if an engine caught fire, unless the engine exploded meaning there wasn't time for the pilots to do anything.

Space Mackerel
Just now, Salad Fingers said:

It must have been one hell of a fire. That's a serious mechanical failure. 

Lot of fuel on board for the trip.

Aircraft have " fire wire" routed around the engine bay, it's basically one long capacitor. When it collapses it sends a warning to the flight deck and the crew would shut down the engine and fuel cocks and fire the bottles into the bay.

If that doesn't work then its game over.

Mac_fae_Gillie

I could post lot of videos of B27s getting hit by flank with burning engines from WW2. From the ground the same would be seen. No question it was on fire prior to crash by a few hours after Iran was no doubt on full alert to a possible US counter strike a plane crashes just outside the Tehran. I'm guilty of adding 2 + 2 but they will never admit it and thx to tensions have excuse to not release Black Box..

Space Mackerel
Just now, bobsharp said:

There was bit on the news earlier that it had been in for maintenance on Monday.

Probably the most plausible explanation...up till now.

Space Mackerel
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One small flaw for this to have happened here, and that is there was no mayday call, surely the pilots would have had time to radio the tower that they had a problem, if an engine caught fire, unless the engine exploded meaning there wasn't time for the pilots to do anything.

I honestly don't know the complete ins and outs at this stage.

7 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

There was bit on the news earlier that it had been in for maintenance on Monday.

Routine service according to the news.

4 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I honestly don't know the complete ins and outs at this stage.

I don't think many do know all the ins & outs at this stage mate.

Shanks said no

Its an awful coincidence that a plane comes down on the same night that missiles are flying about.

Map showing where the plane stopped sending data and where debris was found

The plane appears to have only made it a couple of runway lengths from the airport.

Space Mackerel
11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Routine service according to the news.

I don't think many do know all the ins & outs at this stage mate.

Routine service is a bit vague. This was being worked on in the same hangar as me and Rolls Royce incorrectly routed a cable via a P clip by a few mm whilst the engines were being serviced in East Kilbride. They shorted out causing the Air Start Valve to open up, spun itself to destruction and threw its blades through the wing tanks.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12105586.seven-safe-as-nimrod-ditches-crew-laughing-and-joking-after-captains-skill-saves-lives/

26 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Routine service is a bit vague. This was being worked on in the same hangar as me and Rolls Royce incorrectly routed a cable via a P clip by a few mm whilst the engines were being serviced in East Kilbride. They shorted out causing the Air Start Valve to open up, spun itself to destruction and threw its blades through the wing tanks.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12105586.seven-safe-as-nimrod-ditches-crew-laughing-and-joking-after-captains-skill-saves-lives/

Someone did mention on here earlier today that the maintenance crew could well be bricking it.

indianajones
51 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Its an awful coincidence that a plane comes down on the same night that missiles are flying about.

Map showing where the plane stopped sending data and where debris was found

The plane appears to have only made it a couple of runway lengths from the airport.

Yep.

Connected for sure but it'll never come out.

Space Mackerel
18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Someone did mention on here earlier today that the maintenance crew could well be bricking it.

Watched this the other night (trying to get some kip after the holiday season at 4am 😕  ) and it might give you an idea what could be involved.

N.B Difference between military and civil aviation mechs is that the civvies generally work unsupervised apart from things like engines, flying controls and undercarriage I would guess.

Edited by Space Mackerel

18 hours ago, Gulpener said:

If it was a missile, I'm surprised the remains of it have not already been shown on Iranian TV.

18 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

If the “great Satan” has shot down a passenger jet over Tehran full of Iranians and Canadians I seriously down Iran would be covering it up. If anything they’d be telling everyone who would listen.

My theory, for which I have zero evidence, was that it was accidentally shot down by US forces, thinking it was part of another missile salvo. Iran immediately told the US "we'll keep this under wraps if you back the **** off". Trump comes out a short time later with the blustering speech about how Iran are the ones backing off. Everyone's happy.

8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

My theory, for which I have zero evidence, was that it was accidentally shot down by US forces, thinking it was part of another missile salvo. Iran immediately told the US "we'll keep this under wraps if you back the **** off". Trump comes out a short time later with the blustering speech about how Iran are the ones backing off. Everyone's happy.

Interesting shout but surely with it being so close to an airport it would be obvious that it was a jet.

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Interesting shout but surely with it being so close to an airport it would be obvious that it was a jet.

I would hope so. But when it comes to reporting of happenings over there, I can remember all the talk about the Patriot missile defence system used in the first Gulf War in the early 90s, how effective it was . . . then we learned later that all that footage of it shooting down Scud missiles we saw on the news all the time was the exact same footage every single time, and it was not so accurate after all.

Just reminded me of that, and of the human penchant for error in high pressure situations. Which reminds me of another potential human error that nearly ended the world, but instead a hero saved us all (but that's a digression).

John Findlay
13 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One of my daughters was on the Somerset for a while before transferring up to Faslane, she was also in Comms, she did 4 years.

Had a family day out on the Somerset back in about 2004, great day out, took us out to just under 12 miles out from Plymouth and put on various displays, including being buzzed by a Tornado which was practially skimming the water and going very very fast, they also did a man overboard drill and I was utterly amazed at how quick the Frigate could turn, we were told to hold on to the rope running along the ship, good job as the angle that the ship lurched to was impressive to say the least.  Got shown round most of the ship obviously some areas were off limits, including the Comms room, were not allowed in there.

Great day out, not sure if the Navy still do them now.

Yes they still do. Always excellent PR. Yes the comms room was and always will be off limits. Even to the documentary makers.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

I would hope so. But when it comes to reporting of happenings over there, I can remember all the talk about the Patriot missile defence system used in the first Gulf War in the early 90s, how effective it was . . . then we learned later that all that footage of it shooting down Scud missiles we saw on the news all the time was the exact same footage every single time, and it was not so accurate after all.

Just reminded me of that, and of the human penchant for error in high pressure situations. Which reminds me of another potential human error that nearly ended the world, but instead a hero saved us all (but that's a digression).

Scud missiles were crap too. Only had a range of about 22 miles. Hit more merchant shipping than anything in the straits of Hurmouz. We on the Andromeda saved a merchant ship back in 87 called the **** Emerald that had been hit and set alight by a Scud Missile at 2 in the morning. Put out the fires saved the crew and the ship. Job well done. S P I C is the filtered word

Edited by John Findlay

6 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I was in Israel during gulf war, most of the damage was caused by the patriot missiles failing and falling back on populated areas. The scuds were pish, couldn't really reach most Israeli towns and landed on Arab villages up north.

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Scud missiles were crap too. Only had a range of about 22 miles. Hit more merchant shipping than anything in the straits of Hurmouz. We on the Andromeda saved a merchant ship back in 87 called the S.P.I.C. Emerald that had been hit and set alight by a Scud Missile at 2 in the morning. Put out the fires saved the crew and the ship. Job well done.

13 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I was in Israel during gulf war, most of the damage was caused by the patriot missiles failing and falling back on populated areas. The scuds were pish, couldn't really reach most Israeli towns and landed on Arab villages up north.

Yeah, and we know all that now, but American media at the time was a propaganda fest for the Patriots' efficacy and superiority.

4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Yeah, and we know all that now, but American media at the time was a propaganda fest for the Patriots' efficacy and superiority.

Aye for sure, it was bigged up massively and was awful.

Israels iron dome system works way better. 

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Guy I worked with (Captain in TAs) did a tour of Iraq around 2003.

He was far more worried by the 'friendly fire' from the 'Lets kick this Taliban butt' American forces than the Taliban itself.

The US says the plane was shot down. 

Oh oh. 

Edit - maybe not. Only read g from one source. Nothing else backing it up atm. 

Edited by Homme

19 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Guy I worked with (Captain in TAs) did a tour of Iraq around 2003.

He was far more worried by the 'friendly fire' from the 'Lets kick this Taliban butt' American forces than the Taliban itself.

Was the same during the first Gulf war in '91.

Wife had a cousin who was on the front line and he said that they feared the American's more than the Iraqi's because they had more chance of being killed by 'friendly fire' than enemy fire.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was the same during the first Gulf war in '91.

Wife had a cousin who was on the front line and he said that they feared the American's more than the Iraqi's because they had more chance of being killed by 'friendly fire' than enemy fire.

I was being kind with 'friendly fire'

Can't remember exact words but was closer to 'thick as f..k yanks'

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Do they say by whom?

A Russian anti aircraft missile, so presumably the Iranians. 

I edited my post before you quoted though as I couldn't find anything elsewhere to back it up. 

I P Knightley
Just now, Homme said:

A Russian anti aircraft missile, so presumably the Iranians. 

I edited my post before you quoted though as I couldn't find anything elsewhere to back it up. 

Somebody at work just said that Number 10 is looking into the possibility of it being a missile strike. 

Likewise, though, I can't see anything on my news feeds supporting that; she might have just been getting a bit hysterical.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Somebody at work just said that Number 10 is looking into the possibility of it being a missile strike. 

Likewise, though, I can't see anything on my news feeds supporting that; she might have just been getting a bit hysterical.

It's the Metro newspaper online that's reporting it atm. 

I mean it's not wholly surprising news but you always wanted to believe it was a tragic accident. 

35 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Weapons systems developed in real war conditions tend to be better than those developed under peacetime conditions. 

Ideas for weapon systems are generated in real war conditions. Development/manufacture tends to take place in peacetime. From initial idea conception to customer hand-over can take between 4 and 7 years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I was being kind with 'friendly fire'

Can't remember exact words but was closer to 'thick as f..k yanks'

Yeh, he wasn't all that complimentary about the Americans either.