US drone strike takes out top Iranian general

Better call Saul

43 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

They actually were one of the radge nations for a bit after they got rid of old Farouk. Their first action was to try to nationalise the Suez Canal which led to a massive infusion of British military. This was later supposedly solved by an Agreement ending the hostility in 1954.. They breached that and were invaded by French, Israeli and British forces in 1956. Got pretty well whopped. They later got a bit stroppie again and the Israelis kicked ass, they have been reasonably quiet and not too anxious it seems to get involved since. 

Egypt was one of the places where you served, wasn't it, same as my Great Grandfather who was also in Egypt & Palestine, although that was WWI.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Sharpie

• Space Mackerel

• ri Alban

1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Here we go! Hooooruh!

image.png.58b9ee7cf6aaa8e84538a53cb7926011.png

Yeh, decision was taken before the drone attack, was well advertised in the US media, in fact US troops in the region has increased by around about 14,000 since May 2019, that's the ones we know about, there will be many more deployed which Joe Public won't know about.

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, decision was taken before the drone attack, was well advertised in the US media, in fact US troops in the region has increased by around about 14,000 since May 2019, that's the ones we know about, there will be many more deployed which Joe Public won't know about.

Some Democrat was on Sky News today saying the US total  manpower is roughly 50,000

82nd are a spearhead brigade though.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Correct.  The Americans call them contractors, which has replaced the old term of mercenaries.  In most cases they are ex-members of the US armed forces.

It's all so depressing.

Another generation of children in the region about to experience  bombs that we pay for.

If we get involved.

And WE are responsible.

That criminal Blair giving out a christmas message as well the murderous cowardly rat.

Anyone who swallows any shite we are told as reason to bomb the shite out of people must not have a brain .

In our name Syria Iraq and Lybia have been levelled and all the utter shite about bad men takes the total piss out of us all.

Lied to constantly.

I will continue to read watch listen to the news and turn it on its head.

18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Egypt was one of the places where you served, wasn't it, same as my Great Grandfather who was also in Egypt & Palestine, although that was WWI.

Yes I was there for twenty months.I was against the Egyptians when I was there but as life goes on and you see the history you understand what their motivation was. Even that late there was still some hard feelings about the days of British colonialism and interference in other countries politics, and economic programs.  Britain had to be the boss and tell everyone what to do.

Funny enough the most interesting experience was watching French troop carriers heading to Indo China, and French soldiers jumping into the Canal and running off into the desert, god only knows to where or what, they did however avoid the slaughter that was Dien Bien Phu and later became Americas nemesis Vietnam. It has been an imteresting life span between 1935 and 2020, most of it conflict of one type or snother.

Space Mackerel
8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Correct.  The Americans call them contractors, which has replaced the old term of mercenaries.  In most cases they are ex-members of the US armed forces.

Companies like Blackwater do not or have very little involvement in any major attacks on countries like Iran, Iraq or Afghanistan. They're used for support services afterwards. Two of my mates have worked for them.

23 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Some Democrat was on Sky News today saying the US total  manpower is roughly 50,000

82nd are a spearhead brigade though.

Yip, been a steady increase of US military in the region, certainly in the last year.

7 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Companies like Blackwater do not or have very little involvement in any major attacks on countries like Iran, Iraq or Afghanistan. They're used for support services afterwards. Two of my mates have worked for them.

Support & protection, meaning you don't need to deploy as many boots on the ground, well not officially.

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, been a steady increase of US military in the region, certainly in the last year.

Support & protection, meaning you don't need to deploy as many boots on the ground, well not officially.

Contractors don't come home in flag draped coffins. 😉

Just now, Space Mackerel said:

Meaning that the US public are not anywhere near as nervous as they would be if lots more regular troops had been deployed.

Hearts & minds isn't only for combat zones. 👍

3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

What's in it for the employees? Presumably better paid, but surely lacking in backup. 

This of course strengths Iran domestically.

There have been protests with security forces killing protesters. And continuing sanctions hurting ordinary people.

Would be like Britain killing Gerry Adams or Martin McGuinness in 1980 while the hunger strikes were going on if you want to consider the effect on Iran. 

Space Mackerel
Just now, Smack said:

What's in it for the employees? Presumably better paid, but surely lacking in backup. 

Long hours, away for 2 months at a time, back for 1. Decent wages though, £400 a day ish, tax free obviously.

Guys I knew were ex army, pretty much driving locals about and guarding them in Iraq while they got on with the rebuilding.

And The Donald’s ‘make it up as you go along’ approach to foreign policy continues! Will be interesting to see how this squares with his withdrawal from the Middle East as those 5,000 or so troops still in Iraq look like sitting ducks. Presumably he’s less keen to hang them out to dry than the Kurds...

If anyone’s interested in the US’s long-running cyber war with Iran, I highly recommend the excellent Alex Gibney’s Zero Days documentary. Saw it at the film festival but not sure if it’s been on TV, Netflix etc. 

Space Mackerel
18 minutes ago, Zico said:

And The Donald’s ‘make it up as you go along’ approach to foreign policy continues! Will be interesting to see how this squares with his withdrawal from the Middle East as those 5,000 or so troops still in Iraq look like sitting ducks. Presumably he’s less keen to hang them out to dry than the Kurds...

If anyone’s interested in the US’s long-running cyber war with Iran, I highly recommend the excellent Alex Gibney’s Zero Days documentary. Saw it at the film festival but not sure if it’s been on TV, Netflix etc. 

Getting a download of that now.

Ibrahim Tall
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Iran have been at war with the USA (and the UK) pretty much since the Shah was backed by the western powers, deposing the democratically elected government in 1953 and allowing the Shah to rule as an absolute monarch.

People really need to learn history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état

Tbh it goes back further than ‘53, the UK/USSR invaded Iran in 1941 for reasons that turned out to be completely false forcing the (previous) Shah’s abdication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Soviet_invasion_of_Iran

Iranians have a million reasons to distrust and the Americans.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

This imminent threat excuse is bs. All these effers have a plan or are planning something, doesn't mean they're going to do it. Trump needed an impeachment diversion so bombed this guy. 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Zico said:

It’s on YouTube if anyone is interested👍🏼

Keep in mind that pretty much to a man, those advocating for killing Soleimani, without regard for the consequences, or the law, whether it was the American constitution or international law, are the same absolute ****wits who were enraged that Trump didn’t receive “due process” from the House of Representatives in being impeached.

Just so utterly done with American idiocracy.

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Keep in mind that pretty much to a man, those advocating for killing Soleimani, without regard for the consequences, or the law, whether it was the American constitution or international law, are the same absolute ****wits who were enraged that Trump didn’t receive “due process” from the House of Representatives in being impeached.

Just so utterly done with American idiocracy.

Same people who thought out the Syria conflict too.

That went well.

23 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Same people who thought out the Syria conflict too.

That went well.

And probably more than one or two who also thought it was a good idea to invade Iraq the second time around as well, that went extremely well, not.

Not that it's reported in the UK media, but Iraq is very, very close to an all-out sectarian civil war.

The entire region is in a complete mess and has been for as long as anybody can remember. 

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Not that it's reported in the UK media, but Iraq is very, very close to an all-out sectarian civil war.

The entire region is in a complete mess and has been for as long as anybody can remember. 

Likely be a spin off from a wider Iran vs Saud conflict that will include Drumpf and other players. 

Been another airstrike in Baghdad. Some Iraqi backed militia killed. Its on RT.

nobody claimed responsibility but who does airstrikes in that region?

20 minutes ago, Cade said:

The strength of Iran now is owed mainly to the Shias winning power in Iraq thanks to USA. Tipped the balance of power and allowed Iran into Iraq. 

I know that it is complicated but ISIS mainly is about the destruction of the Shias. 

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Unfortunately most of which is down to to the British and French. I could be very boring and refer to the Sykes–Picot Agreement, but I would be here all night and you would find me referring to Lawrence.

39 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

He prophesied this himself.. 😱

Clown also said: Obama only plays golf. I won't have time for golf when president. 

16 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Unfortunately most of which is down to to the British and French. I could be very boring and refer to the Sykes–Picot Agreement, but I would be here all night and you would find me referring to Lawrence.

The Great War For Civilisation by Robert Fisk is a very good read to get a handle on the history that has led us to where we are now. 

Shanks said no
Just now, Tazio said:

The Great War For Civilisation by Robert Fisk is a very good read to get a handle on the history that has led us to where we are now. 

The fundamental problem is that the borders are all in the wrong places.

All I will comment now is that those unsure look into Sykes, the man is culpable for more deaths than many dictators, to quote Lawrence, "sadly unreliable intellect"

He basically wrote British foreign policy for the fledgling Arab states.

Space Mackerel
5 hours ago, Zico said:

That was excellent mate. Thanks for the heads up. 

Gives a whole different perspective to the Obama/Iran deal that Trump scuppered later on after the release of the documentary. 

What a stupid tit that orange gimp is. 

The trouble in the Middle East reaches far, far back beyond the Great War.

Even The Crusades of the middle ages were not the first time the West had muddied the waters in that region.

The fact that mankind more or less began in that region means that people have been fighting over that patch of dirt for tens of thousands of years, before the Abrahimic religions even existed.

Seymour M Hersh

I notice they are saying the SAS were going to take him out in 2007 when he was masterminding attacks on British troops in southern Iraq. Killed and maimed many but David Miliband stopped the operation as he preferred to negotiate with him. I wonder how many have died as a result of these "negotiations"? 

The Mighty Thor

I doubt Iran would want to get dragged into any kind of traditional ground/air war with the septics. 

I suspect they'll keep on keeping on with insurgent/terrorist type attacks, attacks on shipping and probably cyber attacks. 

All that said I wouldn't want to be an American living or working in the middle east for the foreseeable future. 

Angry Haggis
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I doubt Iran would want to get dragged into any kind of traditional ground/air war with the septics. 

I suspect they'll keep on keeping on with insurgent/terrorist type attacks, attacks on shipping and probably cyber attacks. 

All that said I wouldn't want to be an American living or working in the middle east for the foreseeable future. 

A war without end. 

jack D and coke

This couldn’t look more bonkers if it was in Iran. 
America is every bit as fundamental as any country in the world. 

Dagger Is Back
32 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Fruit loops the lot of them. 

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Cringeworthy is an understatement of that pish.

Dagger Is Back
43 minutes ago, Boab said:

Dangerous fruit loops. 

Absolutely. Trumps a bampot in his own right but he seems to have surrounded himself by people who somehow manage to outdo even him!

Customised hellfire missile with extended blades sliced up the occupants of the car Qassem was in. Unbelievabe technology.^

R9X-missile_16f6ca5e8ba_original-ratio.jpg

14 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Clown also said: Obama only plays golf. I won't have time for golf when president. 

He has spent 251 days of his presidency at one of his golf courses.  That's one day in five.  Nice job!

19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

This of course strengths Iran domestically.

There have been protests with security forces killing protesters. And continuing sanctions hurting ordinary people.

Would be like Britain killing Gerry Adams or Martin McGuinness in 1980 while the hunger strikes were going on if you want to consider the effect on Iran. 

Your last paragraph is pure drivel.