• GinRummy

• EIEIO

• sadj

• JFK-1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coburg Hearts
2 hours ago, S Form said:

That's very true. My big concern is that DS hasn't been backed enough by getting the chance to have his own men in. My own fear is that it's all got the feeling of a half-assed approach, as if things only really need a wee tweak. 

The whole club is being restructured, so hardly a wee tweak. I doubt he'd have come had he been unhappy at not getting his coaches in at the present time.

27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Gonna go with both you guys. 
It was sort of excruciating in parts and I don’t know why. 
I don’t buy the Hearts upset the Apple cart bollocks either seeing as we last did in the late 50’s. 

Its Spiers opinion and he’s entitled to it. 
Let’s just hope he’s wrong. 

The new fella did look uncomfortable throughout. Maybe it was the language barrier, the whirlwind start, the fact that his predecessors are ALL still in with the bricks at Riccarton, the lack of his preferred assistants, threat of future legal action by his previous employers, or a combination of all of these.

It certainly hasn't been the cleanest of handovers.

Spiers simply is what he is and he's no Rangers sycophant as has been suggested. How embarrassing must this be for him now? And hopefully same again regarding Stendel.

2 hours ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

Spiers is from Fife.

Born and brought up in the weege, spent some time in Fife, went to St Andrews university. Doesn't mean he's from Fife.

The rat catcher

Oh dear - just a weegie with an agenda. 

He should be on the books of the BBCRadio Glasgow/Sportscene Glasgow/ BBC Glsgow 1/ Sportsglesgasound etc

Hang on a minute - He is.. What a surprise.

1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Funny how Steven Gerrard was never deemed a "risk" or "not having a track record" at the time he was appointed.

Steven Gerrard has certainly been considered "a risk" in some quarters in his past...

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Spiers simply is what he is and he's no Rangers sycophant as has been suggested. How embarrassing must this be for him now? And hopefully same again regarding Stendel.

This clearly doesn’t suit the narrative here!! 
It’s purely because nobody in the media anywhere in the world wants a strong Hearts didn’t you know that? 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

It’s purely because nobody in the media anywhere in the world wants a strong Hearts didn’t you know that? 

Yeah. He pulled that one out the hat. Kinda dispels the rangers sycophant stuff.

jack D and coke
Just now, GinRummy said:

Yeah. He pulled that one out the hat. Kinda dispels the rangers sycophant stuff.

It’s quite embarrassing reading the shite that every journalist hates us in case we win the league or some other fantasy. 
The delusion amongst some of our fans at times is quite something. 

Jack Torrance

Here's my take.

There's criticism that he's not been "allowed" to bring his own staff.

There's criticism he doesn't know the Scottish game.

There's criticism of a language barrier. 

There's criticism that MacPhee is assisting him.

There's talk of Barnsley wanting a fee for his staff.

It makes sense to me to have MacPhee and others available to advise him on opponents' style and players. That fills the gap with a lack of knowledge of the league.

Maybe the plan is to make use of the existing backroom staff for a few months to help Daniel's transition. 

Maybe this also avoids us paying a fee for Daniel's staff.

Maybe Stern and Tonge both wanted a Christmas break and have agreed to join when the time's right.

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s quite embarrassing reading the shite that every journalist hates us in case we win the league or some other fantasy. 

Have to admit, I do think there’s a lot of journos out there who are more critical of us than our rivals. I also think Spiers tweet was lazy and ill judged. I’d have preferred him to comment with a bit of background understanding and not just some vague shite that he came out with.

5 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

He does look quite casually dressed most of the time. I have no idea how this impacts on his abilities as a football manager.

Maybe Austin will lend him his suit.

9 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Here's my take.

There's criticism that he's not been "allowed" to bring his own staff.

There's criticism he doesn't know the Scottish game.

There's criticism of a language barrier. 

There's criticism that MacPhee is assisting him.

There's talk of Barnsley wanting a fee for his staff.

It makes sense to me to have MacPhee and others available to advise him on opponents' style and players. That fills the gap with a lack of knowledge of the league.

Maybe the plan is to make use of the existing backroom staff for a few months to help Daniel's transition. 

Maybe this also avoids us paying a fee for Daniel's staff.

Maybe Stern and Tonge both wanted a Christmas break and have agreed to join when the time's right.

Maybe it's got something to do with money and the fact we have'nt got any spare!!! 😂

SectionDJambo
17 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

But no mention of the Rangers’ coach’s hair? Maybe Mr Spiers’ has since found a link between having a comb and being a successful football manager.

Or maybe he just rambles a load of nonsense, with little basis of relevance?

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

But no mention of the Rangers’ coach’s hair? Maybe Mr Spiers’ has since found a link between having a comb and being a successful football manager.

Maybe. Maybe some of ours fans are a bit too eager to jump off the deep end anytime someone gives an opinion. 
I found the press conference painful mate. 
I can’t quite put my finger on what it is was but I watched it and felt uneasy throughout. 
Spiers obviously isn’t allowed to say that though. 
It’s just a few opinions, mine matters not a jot either the proof will be in the pudding as they say. 

6 hours ago, Finlay James said:

There's plenty of folk hurting around Scottish football from this appointment and I love it

Yep, I'm also loving this 👍

26 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The truth is that unless you are Rangers and Celtic they say what they like usually , whilst being completely ill informed.  We don't matter to them. I suppose Hearts people (myself included) get even more angry with these media clowns because we are not even treated like their pet wee teams Aberdeen and Hibs who they constantly mythologise.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, S Form said:

Trying to look at this from the outside it is all a bit strange and very like the situation when we appointed Cathro. We bring in a person with a brief track record, albeit a successful one with Barnsley. However, he's not allowed to bring with him his own backroom staff. Instead, we are left with all the same characters who have been hanging around for the past few years.

So, we have a relatively inexperienced guy operating in an environment he's not familiar with having to depend for guidance on people he's replaced. He'll need some balls and character to bring about radical changes in that scenario. 

Like when he joined Barnsley? Did all their coaches leave when he arrived?

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Maybe. Maybe some of ours fans are a bit too eager to jump off the deep end anytime someone gives an opinion. 
I found the press conference painful mate. 
I can’t quite put my finger on what it is was but I watched it and felt uneasy throughout. 
Spiers obviously isn’t allowed to say that though. 
It’s just a few opinions, mine matters not a jot either the proof will be in the pudding as they say. 

I agree that the press conference was awkward. But I also think that was mostly due to the press insisting on asking more about Stendel’s previous job that the one he was just starting. 
I’m really curious as to who would have been acceptable to both the media and the Hearts fans who are questioning this appointment.
All of the Scottish possibilities were shot down by people on here during the 5 weeks taken, whilst the media seem to only want a Scotsman to have got the job.
We are Hearts, not Liverpool or Spurs. Do people think we can attract the cream of managers here? Manchester United ended up with somebody who wouldn’t have got near their manager’s job a couple of years ago.

It’s not an easy thing to do at our level, unless we think that the likes of Jack Ross is a fantastic appointment, as we were told Heckingbottom was.

15 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Funny isn't it. Spiers is seen as a guru by some because he's a bit brighter than Chic Young, Derek Ferguson and Faddy. 

Jack Torrance
24 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe it's got something to do with money and the fact we have'nt got any spare!!! 😂

Maybe 😁

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Like when he joined Barnsley? Did all their coaches leave when he arrived?

It’s still quite unusual that, as well as all the coaches, roles have been found for the ex manager and interim manager. 

August Landmesser
44 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Steven Gerrard has certainly been considered "a risk" in some quarters in his past...

His dress code has never been questioned though.

No Jacket Required for Stevie boy.

The rat catcher
37 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Here's a current one at odds with what you claim

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5052365/damiel-stendel-sorry-never-heard-hearts/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#comments

A blatant lie.

Would you call it delusion?

3 hours ago, Redhelen said:

Did Daniel have an interpreter with him? I think he looked uneasy at the start but it looked like there were more press than he was used to.  He' d only just started doing solo interviews at the end of last season.

As to being unkempt he never wears a tie and I think his appearance is pretty low down on his list of priorities so he may well get more criticism on that front!

Would have though he'd have less need for an interpreter than the Sportsound panel 

The rat catcher
1 minute ago, Phage said:

If anyone put a single penny into scottish media outlets, please stop immediatel

Agreed. However its Glasgow media Not Scottish media.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s still quite unusual that, as well as all the coaches, roles have been found for the ex manager and interim manager. 

Does the caretaker always leave? They often stay. We always knew Austin might be SD (as recommended by Michael oNeil no less) and we always knew Levein was seeing out his contract with the youths.

Seriously this is bizarre. The number of folk drawn in by one clickbait headline.

And at the same time as saying Stendel has no experience of scottish football people are criticising us for making sure he has people here to help

him transition.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Does the caretaker always leave? They often stay. We always knew Austin might be SD (as recommended by Michael oNeil no less) and we always knew Levein was seeing out his contract with the youths.

Seriously this is bizarre. The number of folk drawn in by one clickbait headline.

And at the same time as saying Stendel has no experience of scottish football people are criticising us for making sure he has people here to help

him transition.

I’m saying it’s quite an unusual situation for all coaches, an ex-manager and ex interim manager all to be retained after appointing a new manager. Agree, one or two of them staying wouldn’t be too unusual.

Guest ToqueJambo

I’m saying it’s quite an unusual situation for all coaches, an ex-manager and ex interim manager all to be retained after appointing a new manager. Agree, one or two of them staying wouldn’t be too unusual.

Did all of Hibs coaches and the ceo and sporting director all leave with heckingbottom? Their coaches seem to be in place.

Mathie at Hibs was part of the failed football department team and was rewarded with a promotion. Don’t see Ross complaining.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Did all of Hibs coaches and the ceo and sporting director all leave with heckingbottom? Their coaches seem to be in place.

Mathie at Hibs was part of the failed football department team and was rewarded with a promotion. Don’t see Ross complaining.

But Heckingbottom left. We kept everybody. Unusual no?

6 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

We are getting it from all angles from the media at the moment. 

When was the last time Hearts done anything right in anyones eyes other than ours? They can all GTF.

52 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I would say that broadly speaking everyone in any capacity inside the footballing authorities in Scotland want a strong Hearts. And the media in general would go along with that too.

They would all want as many as possible to be strong since that's what makes for an attractive competitive game.

In this instance in particular I think there's just a segment who want to be perpetually offended about anything they can find and spin to be remotely offensive. I'm in the Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens camp.

Stephen Fry

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what.

Christopher Hitchens

If someone tells me I've hurt their feelings, I say I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.

Guest ToqueJambo

But Heckingbottom left. We kept everybody. Unusual no?

Levein’s dual role was unusual. It’s not hard. Budge has explained what he’ll be doing but like the folk who couldn’t get their head around what a dof does people are just sticking with their own assumptions. They’re like flat earthers and climate change deniers.

As for getting rid of all the coaches with the manager. No clubs seem to do that.

I've got a tremendous idea.  Why don't we invite him to present the 10th £1,000,000 cheque at half time from the supporters who refused to let their club die.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Levein’s dual role was unusual. It’s not hard. Budge has explained what he’ll be doing but like the folk who couldn’t get their head around what a dof does people are just sticking with their own assumptions. They’re like flat earthers and climate change deniers.

As for getting rid of all the coaches with the manager. No clubs seem to do that.

it’s an unusual situation for all coaches, an ex-manager and an ex interim manager to be retained after appointing a new manager though? Don’t you think?

Under the floodlight

Maybe a few of our illustrious journalist could go out to Kashmir and do a report on David Robertson,who knew all about Indian football before he went there. But they need to beware what they say about the Taliban, unkempt some are downright untidy.

3 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

There was no substance to what he said! That's what folk are moaning about.

If your first impression was the same as Spiers', perhaps you can enlighten us? What exactly made you feel uneasy? What was unclear? If you can tell us, maybe there'll be less moaning.

First impressions are really important - and mine was essentially the same as Spiers’. It should go without saying that you’re entitled to take away a different one. 

Also, even if I disagreed with what Spiers said, I’d defend his right to say it. Like Michael Stewart, he gives his opinion openly and publicly - in contrast with their critics, who vent personal abuse anonymously, online.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

it’s an unusual situation for all coaches, an ex-manager and an ex interim manager to be retained after appointing a new manager though? Don’t you think?

they’re not being retained mate. If you would read the actual article. An SD is being hired. Stendel wants to bring his own assistant(s) in. What part of temporary don’t you get? Would you prefer Stendel to do the SD job too and all the coaches job. 

Because thats what would obviously ****ing happen if literally everyone except him is let go!

”Welcome Daniel. By the way we sacked the entire football dept so you have to also take the goalies, put the cones out, scout the opposition and produce the analysis, recruit players, handle contracts, show new players around, be a translator, manage the youth academy...”

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, dc-jambo said:

First impressions are really important - and mine was essentially the same as Spiers’. It should go without saying that you’re entitled to take away a different one. 

Also, even if I disagreed with what Spiers said, I’d defend his right to say it. Like Michael Stewart, he gives his opinion openly and publicly - in contrast with their critics, who vent personal abuse anonymously, online.

I don’t know too much about Spiers. He’s always come across as a bit of a tit to be honest but that’s just my take and unimportant. Michael Stewart’s hatred of Craig Levein surely taints everything about his comments on hearts though?

7 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I would say that broadly speaking everyone in any capacity inside the footballing authorities in Scotland want a strong Hearts. And the media in general would go along with that too.

They would all want as many as possible to be strong since that's what makes for an attractive competitive game.

In this instance in particular I think there's just a segment who want to be perpetually offended about anything they can find and spin to be remotely offensive. I'm in the Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens camp.

I'm not offended by these clowns just pity their inability to do their job properly ie without bias and with an even hand.  One rule for the Old Firm another for the rest it doesn't offend me it just disappoints me to the extent I don't listen to Sportsound anymore or buy a newspaper.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

they’re not being retained mate. If you would read the actual article. An SD is being hired. Stendel wants to bring his own assistant(s) in. What part of temporary don’t you get? Would you prefer Stendel to do the SD job too and all the coaches job. 

Because thats what would obviously ****ing happen if literally everyone except him is let go!

They are being retained. That’s just a factual statement. They all still work for hearts so their services have been retained in one form or another. Even temporarily retaining all of them is unusual.

I just think it’s an entirely strange situation is all.

49 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Well, given a comb and a page torn out of The Times (the one containing Spiers' column, perhaps?), I'm sure Dan could perform a sympathetic accompaniment to Spiers' ivory-tinkling?

The rat catcher

15 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You totally missed the point.

Nobody is offended nor should they be. The point is that journalists should be able to be fair and honest in their approach.

Do you want to talk me through this one?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5052365/damiel-stendel-sorry-never-heard-hearts/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#comments

Edited by The rat catcher

2 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

I'm not offended by these clowns just pity their inability to do their job properly ie without bias and with an even hand.  One rule for the Old Firm another for the rest it doesn't offend me it just disappoints me to the extent I don't listen to Sportsound anymore or buy a newspaper.

Yet Spiers was every bit as critical when Rangers appointed Gerrard. In fact I would say even more so.

The sheer idiocy of it. It is staggering.

He's hardly going that far in this case.

We all know that if Hearts win the league next season, 90% of the Glasgow media will focus on what went wrong at Ibrox and Parkhead.