• GinRummy

• EIEIO

• sadj

• JFK-1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, The rat catcher said:

You totally missed the point.

Nobody is offended nor should they be. The point is that journalists should be able to be fair and honest in their approach.

Do you want to talk me through this one?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5052365/damiel-stendel-sorry-never-heard-hearts/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#comments

What is there to talk through? If that's what happened that's what happened and I would expect any journalist to report it. I would. Wouldn't you?

You're talking about honesty then complaining that this guy reported what supposedly happened.

And aside from that you're now trying to extend this beyond the actual topic which is a Spiers comment. When it's already been illustrated that Spiers was even more critical of Rangers appointing Gerrard.

I'm not going to scrutinise every single journalist and article to humour you. You can do that then take the common popular path around here. Create yourself another thread to complain about all journalists.

Forget the irrelevance that is Graham Speirs.  However, I see the knives are already being sharpened by a few of the doomsayers.

Brauhauser2012

I wonder why DS is being singled out when AM isn't exactly immaculately coiffured. Ann's hair was also a bit ruffled by the wind. Are they going to have a go at her too?

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Brauhauser2012 said:

I wonder why DS is being singled out when AM isn't exactly immaculately coiffured. Ann's hair was also a bit ruffled by the wind. Are they going to have a go at her too?

I’m jealous that they have hair.

17 minutes ago, The rat catcher said:

You totally missed the point.

Nobody is offended nor should they be. The point is that journalists should be able to be fair and honest in their approach.

Do you want to talk me through this one?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5052365/damiel-stendel-sorry-never-heard-hearts/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#comments

The sub-ed does the headline. And often it doesn't match the article. More often than not it isnt the journos fault.

The headline, article and quotes in this article are all over the joint trying to make it sensational

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Maybe. Maybe some of ours fans are a bit too eager to jump off the deep end anytime someone gives an opinion. 
I found the press conference painful mate. 
I can’t quite put my finger on what it is was but I watched it and felt uneasy throughout. 
Spiers obviously isn’t allowed to say that though. 
It’s just a few opinions, mine matters not a jot either the proof will be in the pudding as they say. 

58 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I agree that the press conference was awkward. But I also think that was mostly due to the press insisting on asking more about Stendel’s previous job that the one he was just starting. 
I’m really curious as to who would have been acceptable to both the media and the Hearts fans who are questioning this appointment.
All of the Scottish possibilities were shot down by people on here during the 5 weeks taken, whilst the media seem to only want a Scotsman to have got the job.
We are Hearts, not Liverpool or Spurs. Do people think we can attract the cream of managers here? Manchester United ended up with somebody who wouldn’t have got near their manager’s job a couple of years ago.

It’s not an easy thing to do at our level, unless we think that the likes of Jack Ross is a fantastic appointment, as we were told Heckingbottom was.

Whilst I'm happy to take any opportunity to have a go at Spiers, and his fellow blinkered Weegia, I think both of you make some good points.

What the press-conference certainly wasn't was a consummate and effortless display of PR, media-handling, charm and confidence (never mind tailoring and personal grooming!). However, it'd have been really surprising if it had been, given that Stendel's English isn't perfect (much, much better than my sub-phrasebook-German, before anyone brings this up!) and he has still to "tune-in" to Scottish accents and turns of phrase.

Also, as SectionD points out, things were also not helped at all by the scribblers' obsession with all things Barnsley rather than Hearts.

A good, confident, and positive initial press-conference can really boost a manager's status in the press and amongst the fans, but the only thing that'll really matter a jot is how Hearts perform under Stendel's management in the days, weeks, and months to come.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

part_time_jambo
7 hours ago, Bauld said:

I've said it before and I will say it again. 

Hearts have always been the club in Scotland who could upset the status quo. 

Everytime we look like we are getting it together the knives come out.

Fear. 

Do we look like we're getting it together?

29 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Forget the irrelevance that is Graham Speirs.  However, I see the knives are already being sharpened by a few of the doomsayers.

Graeme, a small but important point.

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Steven Gerrard has certainly been considered "a risk" in some quarters in his past...

👀😂

1 hour ago, The rat catcher said:

Here's a current one at odds with what you claim

A blatant lie.

Would you call it delusion?

Jesus that article. 🙈

I think it is just an expectation of media and pundits that the OF should be looking internationally but the also-rans should be employing Scottish managers...A weird sort of transplanted parochiality

5 hours ago, jambogemz said:

The same Graham Spiers that wrote an article blowing smokevup Heckingbottoms backside?

How did that work out Graham? 😂😂😂

C9F7F345-C999-44C3-AFA4-F0ACA372B74F.png

56 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Yet Spiers was every bit as critical when Rangers appointed Gerrard. In fact I would say even more so.

He's hardly going that far in this case.

We are not appointing a manager whose first priority is to challenge however many in a row Celtic as Rangers were with Gerrard. As a hun with a keyboard Spiers probably feared an untried Gerrard would not be up to the job, to be fair he has succeeded to an extent and nearly won them their first trophy at the weekend.

Maybe Spiers could get his elderly mum to iron Stendel's clothes as well as her son's.

5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Maybe we should have hired Gary Caldwell, Neil Mcann, Kris Boyd, Kris Commons, Barry Ferguson or Lee Mculloch then the Weegie media shitebags would probably love Hearts 

maybe the erse cheeks will pick some of these candidates for their short lists and interviews when next going for a manager........

5 hours ago, jock _turd said:

A couple of quotes from a couple of twats

Partick Thistle manager Ian McCall on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound

Ann Budge said one of the reasons he got the job was a good track record. Having looked at it, I don't see that.

The fact that Stendal had managed a team in the Bundesliga is not significant? Not like being in charge at Maryhill like!

Former Scotland forward James McFadden on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound

He hasn't really managed too many games. His track record is 100 games in management, which is not a huge amount. It is a bit of a gamble.

Stendel has a win rate of 48% from his 100 games but more importantly his loss rate is only 25% and his teams have averaged 1.64 goals per game played with 1.2 goals against and +44 goal for.

But can someone please tell me, because I have no idea, what is actually a good set of stats for a decent manager ... what sort of stats would you expect a manager who is likely to be hired to have?

what was Lennon’s managerial record like when he was first appointed at darkheed ?

what was Gerrards managerial record like when he was appointed at Ibroke ?

The club needs to start defending itself with the media. Start going after guys who talk shit with no facts or foundation. Being a journalist doesn't give you license to defame folk with impunity. The personal nature of the attacks our managers have had to endure - whether it was Boyd, Miller, Stewart, Mackay or McCall, has all been utterly disgraceful and the lionshare of this has been through the BBC. 

Ban them. **** it. The huns have already done it and I think it would ask seriously questions of the broadcaster if two of Scotlands top flight banned them for lacking impartiality. 

I might be going over the top but right the way through since Levein came in we've had the media going after us for absolute nonsense

'whose picking the team - Neilson or Levein'

'Cathros a laptop manager with no people skills'

'Austin Macphee should get a life'

Pick literally anything Mickey Stewart or Gary Mackay have said about Levein in the last 6 years .

Ian McCall inferring that Stendel got the job because he's foreign

McFadden 'Too often we see managers coming in from other countries and telling our Scottish players and clubs that we're doing it wrong'

I mean for the love of god. When was the last time Scotland qualified for a tournament and when was the last time a non-OF team qualified for the group stages?  Aye, because we've been doing things ourselves so ****ing well you utter moron. 

giphy.gif

SectionDJambo
9 minutes ago, Brave Hearts said:

what was Lennon’s managerial record like when he was first appointed at darkheed ?

what was Gerrards managerial record like when he was appointed at Ibroke ?

You’re bang on. The Glasgow football media didn’t have similar reservations, that I can recall, about Lennon and Gerrard, despite having no previous managerial experience. 
This, despite them both being far bigger clubs with bigger worries about stopping their immediate rivals winning championships.

They are scared to criticise Rangers and Celtic, and probably rightly so, when you see the treatment that an honest journalist, Jim Spence, got when he dared not to toe the party line.

Easy though, to try to be a smarty pants with Hearts.

1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Whilst I'm happy to take any opportunity to have a go at Spiers, and his fellow blinkered Weegia, I think both of you make some good points.

What the press-conference certainly wasn't was a consummate and effortless display of PR, media-handling, charm and confidence (never mind tailoring and personal grooming!). However, it'd have been really surprising if it had been, given that Stendel's English isn't perfect (much, much better than my sub-phrasebook-German, before anyone brings this up!) and he has still to "tune-in" to Scottish accents and turns of phrase.

Also, as SectionD points out, things were also not helped at all by the scribblers' obsession with all things Barnsley rather than Hearts.

A good, confident, and positive initial press-conference can really boost a manager's status in the press and amongst the fans, but the only thing that'll really matter a jot is how Hearts perform under Stendel's management in the days, weeks, and months to come.

Indeed, Weegie journos asking about Barnsley? WTF?

16 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Unkempt. :turned:

A corduroy jacket with elbow patches would have been much more convincing.

The 1980’s geography teacher look.

34 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

We are not appointing a manager whose first priority is to challenge however many in a row Celtic as Rangers were with Gerrard. As a hun with a keyboard Spiers probably feared an untried Gerrard would not be up to the job, to be fair he has succeeded to an extent and nearly won them their first trophy at the weekend.

Maybe Spiers could get his elderly mum to iron Stendel's clothes as well as her son's.

I would agree Hearts motives differ from Rangers but you're blind to reality if you think Spiers gives the proverbial flying about Rangers. Their fans despise him infinitely more than anyone around here ever will. You need to do just a modicum of research before making entirely inaccurate assertions.

In September 2008, Spiers wrote "For years now Celtic Park – unlike Ibrox – has been largely free of sectarian or racist chanting." In the aftermath of the 2008 UEFA Cup Final riots Spiers called Rangers "a club with poison at its core."

In June 2013 Spiers expressed his own view that the Rangers which reformed in the lower divisions after the original company's 2012 liquidation was a new club rather than a direct continuation of the liquidated entity.

In January 2016, Spiers, by now a freelance writer, was involved in a dispute with Rangers regarding alleged comments made to him by a Rangers director. The club were demanding an apology from The Herald, for whom Spiers wrote a column, while the writer himself maintained that what he had written was accurate.

Although The Herald published an apology for the column, Spiers in turn issued his own statement, defending himself and saying he would not be contributing any more columns to the paper. Columnist Angela Haggerty of The Herald's sister paper, The Sunday Herald, was also sacked after she supported Spiers on Twitter. 

Now if that sounds like a "hun with a keyboard' to you I have to doubt your powers of comprehension. As well as your impartiality since I suspect you simply babbled all this stuff with not a scrap to support it. Just pulled it directly out of your arse in other words.

Which frankly makes you look much like Spiers or a "tim with a keyboard" might. 

39 minutes ago, OTT said:

The club needs to start defending itself with the media. Start going after guys who talk shit with no facts or foundation. Being a journalist doesn't give you license to defame folk with impunity. The personal nature of the attacks our managers have had to endure - whether it was Boyd, Miller, Stewart, Mackay or McCall, has all been utterly disgraceful and the lionshare of this has been through the BBC. 

Ban them. **** it. The huns have already done it and I think it would ask seriously questions of the broadcaster if two of Scotlands top flight banned them for lacking impartiality. 

I might be going over the top but right the way through since Levein came in we've had the media going after us for absolute nonsense

'whose picking the team - Neilson or Levein'

'Cathros a laptop manager with no people skills'

'Austin Macphee should get a life'

Pick literally anything Mickey Stewart or Gary Mackay have said about Levein in the last 6 years .

Ian McCall inferring that Stendel got the job because he's foreign

McFadden 'Too often we see managers coming in from other countries and telling our Scottish players and clubs that we're doing it wrong'

I mean for the love of god. When was the last time Scotland qualified for a tournament and when was the last time a non-OF team qualified for the group stages?  Aye, because we've been doing things ourselves so ****ing well you utter moron. 

giphy.gif

I understand what you're saying but you're wrong in this respect. The sevco ban on the BBC has just made them look ridiculous and stupid. The best way is to let the coach do his work, hopefully successfully, then invite them back for the interviews. If they don't come then that speaks for itself and no doubt someone will point it out.    

Edited by upgotheheads

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Kiwi Doug honestly take a break I will be happy escaping relegation.

Not the point I was making.  Maybe too subtle way to illustrate s point.

Avoiding relegation next season is desperately pessimistic.  I'm much more hopeful than that.

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Kiwi Doug honestly take a break I will be happy escaping relegation.

7 hours ago, swavkav said:

Basically he is saying, we now have possibly the best manager in Scotland, and he fears we will now screw the weegies!!!  

I wish we could do likes in this place.  Anyway, your reading of his Tweet is spot on. He's an ass anyway, but let's hope we prove them all wrong. FTH and the rest of them.

Just now, upgotheheads said:

I understand what you're saying but you're wrong in this respect. The sevco ban on the BBC has just made them look ridiculous and stupid. The best way is to let the coach do his work, hopefully successfully, then invite them back for the interviews. If they don't come then that speaks for themselves and no doubt someone will point it out.    

I know man, just pisses me off. Pundits because they're too thick to piece together an article. 

22 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I would agree Hearts motives differ from Rangers but you're blind to reality if you think Spiers gives the proverbial flying about Rangers.

He is a self confessed ex-season ticket holder at Ibrox.

I'm not sure what else he needs to do to qualify as a Rangers fan (hun) in your world? 

There seems to be a misunderstanding that the BBC are banned from Ibrox. They're not, the BBC themselves are boycotting Ibrox.

BBC Scotland said: "We are disappointed that Rangers took the decision to ban our reporter Chris McLaughlin from Ibrox.

We believe it is unjustifiable and we stand by the integrity and the quality of our journalism.

"We will continue to report on Rangers both on and off the pitch and will feature match action where appropriate but, until this issue is resolved, we will not be sending journalists to Ibrox or attending Rangers’ press conferences.

BBC launch new Ibrox boycott as Rangers ban sports reporter in coverage row

gorgie rd eh11

I think i heard Spiers talking about marrying into a big hibs supporting family. 

Might be worth taking into account when he gives his views on anything "yam" related.

4 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

He is a self confessed ex-season ticket holder at Ibrox.

I'm not sure what else he needs to do to qualify as a Rangers fan (hun) in your world? 

Did you even read what he has said about them? That's a dyed in the wool fan to you? Those are things even a casual supporter would say about them? If you think that qualifies as a Rangers fan I don't know what qualifies as a non fan in your world.

Just now, JFK-1 said:

Did you even read what he has said about them? That's a dyed in the wool fan to you? Those are things even a casual supporter would say about them? If you think that qualifies as a Rangers fan I don't know what qualifies as a non fan in your world.

I've read on here what some supposed Hearts fans have to say about Hearts. 

Jack Torrance

I hope Dan turns up with a comb at the next presser and makes them wait while he tidies his barnet.

Edited by Jack Torrance

south morocco
3 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

I hope Dan turns up with a comb at the next presser and makes them wait while he tidies his barnet.

😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Yet Spiers was every bit as critical when Rangers appointed Gerrard. In fact I would say even more so.

What did he say about Gerrard's physical appearance? Enlighten me.

Questioning his management credentials is one thing, mentioning his appearance (and whatever else he is hinting at) is completely another. 

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

I think it is just an expectation of media and pundits that the OF should be looking internationally but the also-rans should be employing Scottish managers...A weird sort of transplanted parochiality

They do exactly the same thing regarding players. Any foreign signing is a world beater before he gets off the plane. Depending on which country they hail from they scramble about to get an ex player from the same country to give they're take on it.

strangely it's rarely negative.

7 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

I didn’t think it was a good press conference. I put the blame firmly at the media’s door for that.  The questioning from the word go was terrible. Prodding to get a negative angle and get them to slip up about Barnsley. They then focussed on existing staff which is a minefield to answer due to employment law. To then move on to interrogate Ann about Sporting Director. This was all before any questions were asked about his arrival and the managers role.  It was a shocker from the people asking the questions.

Throw in language difficulties with the Scottish accent and its very easy to see why he might have felt and come across uncomfortable. 

Exactly ! It's hardly the queens english is it ? Of course he would toil to understand a lot of it ,,,,,,

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Sorry Graham , one can not spend time with you today because you have a hair out of place

They should hand him a comb and a club tie next time he wants in.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

There is a lot of envy and jealousy of hearts from the west coast media. On the surface it doesn’t really make sense when you look at two huge old firm clubs.

Dig a little deeper into it though and it makes perfect sense. Hearts are a threat to them. We trigger them badly. Add in that we’re Edinburgh’s football team and then it’s like asking a weegie if they enjoy the Edinburgh festival. Just sit back and listen to the bitterness of the response. “A glesga funerals mare fun than an Edinburgh wedding” & all that complete bullshit you can overhear from these parochial idiots as they  make their way back to their special patter filled “glesga” on the train home in August. 

**** em. I love all the seethe, insecurity and bitterness. It just makes it even sweeter when we beat them.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Proving yet again how wrong he is almost all the time as Gerrard has been very good and probably will end up in the EPL within a couple of years. He was also wrong about Warburton, Heckingbottom, Butcher the way he built them up... so many gushing interviews, so much wrongness.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I would agree Hearts motives differ from Rangers but you're blind to reality if you think Spiers gives the proverbial flying about Rangers. Their fans despise him infinitely more than anyone around here ever will. You need to do just a modicum of research before making entirely inaccurate assertions.

Now if that sounds like a "hun with a keyboard' to you I have to doubt your powers of comprehension. As well as your impartiality since I suspect you simply babbled all this stuff with not a scrap to support it. Just pulled it directly out of your arse in other words.

Which frankly makes you look much like Spiers or a "tim with a keyboard" might. 

So he's had a couple of spats with his beloved Rangers,  good for him. I don't give a flying **** about any other team except Hearts therefore when a journalist or pundit needlessly takes cheap swipes at people associated with Hearts on a basis that does not relate to their performance as a player or a manager they are immediately an enemy of Hearts. To do so on the basis of fashion, neatness or ability to answer inane questions in a foreign language from a roomful of clowns dòes not in my view afford Spiers hero status, quite the opposite.

24 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

So he's had a couple of spats with his beloved Rangers,  good for him. I don't give a flying **** about any other team except Hearts therefore when a journalist or pundit needlessly takes cheap swipes at people associated with Hearts on a basis that does not relate to their performance as a player or a manager they are immediately an enemy of Hearts. To do so on the basis of fashion, neatness or ability to answer inane questions in a foreign language from a roomful of clowns dòes not in my view afford Spiers hero status, quite the opposite.

Personally I couldn't care less what he says either but that's not the point. The point which you're now avoiding is you implied he's some sort of Rangers fan boy who would have nothing contrary to say about them while taking swipes at Stendel.

The reality is he has been consistently infinitely more critical of them than he has of Stendel or Hearts. As for this hero status nonsense I have no idea where that's being pulled from. 

Hackney Hearts
4 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

First impressions are really important - and mine was essentially the same as Spiers’. It should go without saying that you’re entitled to take away a different one. 

Also, even if I disagreed with what Spiers said, I’d defend his right to say it.

You're perfectly entitled to have any opinion you like, as is Spiers - I just don't know what it is!

How do you know your impression was the same as Spiers'? He didn't say what his issue was! (apart from the unkempt hair, and I'm assuming you're not just referring to that). What made you (and Speirs) feel uneasy, can you elaborate? What was unclear?