Spiers on Stendel

jambovambo

8 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

While I agree there is also no justification in looking for and documenting reasons that he won’t succeed.

Needs to run a brush through his hair and speaks a bit funny are in no way evidence that he will not succeed.

That's very true. My big concern is that DS hasn't been backed enough by getting the chance to have his own men in. My own fear is that it's all got the feeling of a half-assed approach, as if things only really need a wee tweak. 

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• EIEIO

• sadj

• JFK-1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Under the floodlight
13 minutes ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

Spiers is from Fife.

He's not one of the Strathmiglo Speirs who used to summer in Cap d Antibes

A_A wehatethehibs

Maybe we should have hired Gary Caldwell, Neil Mcann, Kris Boyd, Kris Commons, Barry Ferguson or Lee Mculloch then the Weegie media shitebags would probably love Hearts 

Hackney Hearts
21 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

My own first impression was the same as Spiers’ - hope to god I’m wrong.

The moaning and abuse on this thread is a bit tedious tbh; not much response to the substance of what he said.

There was no substance to what he said! That's what folk are moaning about.

If your first impression was the same as Spiers', perhaps you can enlighten us? What exactly made you feel uneasy? What was unclear? If you can tell us, maybe there'll be less moaning.

1 minute ago, Under the floodlight said:

He's not one of the Strathmiglo Speirs who used to summer in Cap d Antibes

More likely a Cowdenbeth one who spends his time with his tongue fully rammed up the Old Firms Sphincter.

11 minutes ago, sadj said:

Incredibly well spoken and articulate also

He's not shouty and knee jerky, but that's about it on the plus side. 

He's incredibly under informed  about anything other than golf.

Ive read his articles regularly and they invariably include the phrase 'I don't know...' in the summary. He should use it as his byline.

Under the floodlight
1 minute ago, Deevers said:

More likely a Cowdenbeth one who spends his time with his tongue fully rammed up the Old Firms Sphincter.

More likely.😎

4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I didn’t think it was a good press conference. I put the blame firmly at the media’s door for that.  The questioning from the word go was terrible. Prodding to get a negative angle and get them to slip up about Barnsley. They then focussed on existing staff which is a minefield to answer due to employment law. To then move on to interrogate Ann about Sporting Director. This was all before any questions were asked about his arrival and the managers role.  It was a shocker from the people asking the questions.

Throw in language difficulties with the Scottish accent and its very easy to see why he might have felt and come across uncomfortable. 

Agree. Imagine asking a question along the lines of. “How are you going to get the best out of your players”? or “What is your philosophy”. No. “Barnsley, took a while eh? Loads of old staff still here, cannae get yer own, where’s ra Sporting Director Ann?”

Pretty much unremittingly negatively spun questions. Stendel must have been thinking “WTF have I walked into here”

Got a feeling his pressers will be Paulo/Csabaesque.

2 hours ago, Bauld said:

I've said it before and I will say it again. 

Hearts have always been the club in Scotland who could upset the status quo. 

Everytime we look like we are getting it together the knives come out.

Fear. 

There is some truth in this, they want/need the ugly twins to be dominating Scottish Football. Incredible some of the comments at the diddy cup final. Along the lines of it's been too long since we had an old firm cup final, incredible that there's not been one since 2011.

Just now, Jamhammer said:

Agree. Imagine asking a question along the lines of. “How are you going to get the best out of your players”? or “What is your philosophy”. No. “Barnsley, took a while eh? Loads of old staff still here, cannae get yer own, where’s ra Sporting Director Ann?”

Pretty much unremittingly negatively spun questions. Stendel must have been thinking “WTF have I walked into here”

Got a feeling his pressers will be Paulo/Csabaesque.

Hopefully the former, rather than the latter - don't see Dan being quite as much of a blether as Csaba!

A couple of quotes from a couple of twats

Partick Thistle manager Ian McCall on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound

Ann Budge said one of the reasons he got the job was a good track record. Having looked at it, I don't see that.

The fact that Stendal had managed a team in the Bundesliga is not significant? Not like being in charge at Maryhill like!

Former Scotland forward James McFadden on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound

He hasn't really managed too many games. His track record is 100 games in management, which is not a huge amount. It is a bit of a gamble.

Stendel has a win rate of 48% from his 100 games but more importantly his loss rate is only 25% and his teams have averaged 1.64 goals per game played with 1.2 goals against and +44 goal for.

But can someone please tell me, because I have no idea, what is actually a good set of stats for a decent manager ... what sort of stats would you expect a manager who is likely to be hired to have?

Edited by jock _turd

31 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

The moaning and abuse on this thread is a bit tedious tbh; not much response to the substance of what he said.

His only specific points were about his appearance and him not seeming to have heard of Hearts prior to our approach. There has been plenty response to both - well as as much as possible to to such trivial points.

His appearance and personal style is similar to Klopp who seems to be coping fine. I'm not surprised if a German manager hadn't heard of us as I have worked in Germany and no-one had.

I really wouldn't concern yourselves with what snide, posh, proletarian-hating, smug, brown-nosing, blue-nosed sneermeister Graeme ('MAKE SURE YOU SPELL IT RIGHT, THE POSH WAY...') Spiers thinks about your manager.

No, you're right, I don't like him.

3 hours ago, Bauld said:

I've said it before and I will say it again. 

Hearts have always been the club in Scotland who could upset the status quo. 

Everytime we look like we are getting it together the knives come out.

Fear. 

This👍

Horatio Caine

Saturday is approaching.  How will that game go?  Well, if we draw or lose, it will be `the Stendel effect` fails to energise hapless Hearts.  If we win, perhaps even with a goal or two to spare, it will be `an improvement, but we thought that after the St Mirren match`.  Either way, the MSM will put a negative spin on our result.  So we need to be prepared for the flack to keep flying.

**I fully realise BTW that one result is no basis on which to make an assessment.  But tell that to our press experts.

alwaysthereinspirit
14 minutes ago, graygo said:

There is some truth in this, they want/need the ugly twins to be dominating Scottish Football. Incredible some of the comments at the diddy cup final. Along the lines of it's been too long since we had an old firm cup final, incredible that there's not been one since 2011.

So was that the first ever cup final between The the Rangers and Celtic? Hopefully the last for many years to come.

Did Daniel have an interpreter with him? I think he looked uneasy at the start but it looked like there were more press than he was used to.  He' d only just started doing solo interviews at the end of last season.

As to being unkempt he never wears a tie and I think his appearance is pretty low down on his list of priorities so he may well get more criticism on that front!

FFS the so called press conference was a farce, all about Barnsley and then when they said give it a break mostly about the dof,  the only time he struggles with a questions was when two of the muppets started talking at the same time, i couldn't understand the question, he's a breath of fresh air and is going to take this club places, dodgy haircut or not. i comment on the haircut as someone who is follicaly challenged by the way

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Can anyone post the full piece?

The full tweet's on page 1.

It wasn't a throwaway comment in the middle of a long, thoughtful analysis, it was a tweet saying his hair was messy.

**** off Spiers

6 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

Did Daniel have an interpreter with him? I think he looked uneasy at the start but it looked like there were more press than he was used to.  He' d only just started doing solo interviews at the end of last season.

As to being unkempt he never wears a tie and I think his appearance is pretty low down on his list of priorities so he may well get more criticism on that front!

Yeah he had an interpreter with him. He used him once or twice.........

Hackney Hearts
7 minutes ago, Redhelen said:

Did Daniel have an interpreter with him?

Yes (or someone acting as such) - he turned to the side at one point to check the English for aufgeregt (excited).

45 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I'm in the neutral corner re- Stendel and dont blame Spiers if that's his honest opinion. Stendel on the other hand didnt bum us up as the big club and do the "usual speak" you hear in Scottish football. Let's be positive though and give him time. I do get the feeling though that he'll be off quick smart. if he gets an offer from a bigger league.

Last sentence I agree with but it will only happen if he is a success with Hearts so dont have an issue with it happening.

Салатные палочки
5 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

I've heard Stendel wants to bring his German assistants Herr Comb and Herr Cutt.

I thought it was that guy who's knob popped out at the '74 World Cup. 

Helmut Schon. 

The Treasurer
49 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Maybe we should have hired Gary Caldwell, Neil Mcann, Kris Boyd, Kris Commons, Barry Ferguson or Lee Mculloch then the Weegie media shitebags would probably love Hearts 

TBF

Baz could never be accused of being  unkempt, he wouldn't been seen wearing anything other than a well pressed shell suit and a freshly laundered sevco tap.

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Unkempt? Was he not just back from a training session?

I am unconvinced that shitehawk is even a journalist!

Exactly ... Stendel took the training himself and I heard it was a tough one as the players were blowing out their backsides after it. 

Has there been a single positive spin put out yet by a media outlet ? Maybe the boy from the local paper in Yorkshire that commented on the BBC ?

Everything else has been pretty negatively spun.

Don't get it. His "record" is surely reasonable for the kind of candidate we could realistically expect to have gotten. Managed 2 decent clubs, got a promotion, has a clear style of attacking, aggressive football, decent win percentage etc.

He might or might not succeed but coming out with stuff about "knowing the Scottish game" and his appearance from day 1 is just really poor.

How about an article analysing his career and past jobs or something ? 

The guy arrived in Edinburgh on Monday night, probably in temporary accommodation like a hotel. He met players, took training and shoved in front of the media in a new country in less that 24hrs.  He done very well considering 

14 minutes ago, Snorri1 said:

Has there been a single positive spin put out yet by a media outlet ? Maybe the boy from the local paper in Yorkshire that commented on the BBC ?

Everything else has been pretty negatively spun.

Don't get it. His "record" is surely reasonable for the kind of candidate we could realistically expect to have gotten. Managed 2 decent clubs, got a promotion, has a clear style of attacking, aggressive football, decent win percentage etc.

He might or might not succeed but coming out with stuff about "knowing the Scottish game" and his appearance from day 1 is just really poor.

How about an article analysing his career and past jobs or something ? 

Think we are hoping for too much mate. The media in Scotland are "parochial", biased and Glasgow centrist. Everything in Scotland and about Scotland is shite....except the old firm and Hampden.

Leveins Battalion
21 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Funny how Steven Gerrard was never deemed a "risk" or "not having a track record" at the time he was appointed.

He is a risk as he is bankrupting the club as they strive to stop 10 in a row.

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, DarthVodka said:

The guy arrived in Edinburgh on Monday night, probably in temporary accommodation like a hotel. He met players, took training and shoved in front of the media in a new country in less that 24hrs.  He done very well considering 

100 %  that was poor on Hearts behalf imo,Ann to eager to show him off would be my guess.

I read lots about Stendel,from those who know and have worked with him.For me I am delighted to have him and he will get my full support.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Got to admit it was a shit press conference. Budge looking traumatised and Danny boy windswept struggling with the accent. 

I don't give a hoot for the press. Score some results they will soon **** off 

2 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

Gonna go with both you guys. 
It was sort of excruciating in parts and I don’t know why. 
I don’t buy the Hearts upset the Apple cart bollocks either seeing as we last did in the late 50’s. 

Its Spiers opinion and he’s entitled to it. 
Let’s just hope he’s wrong. 

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not having a go at you mate, but you have concerns at him having no experience of Scottish football. What does he actually need to know about Scottish football that differs from English or German football? 

Spiers coming out with this after the guy has just taken over is a poor show, but wouldn’t expect anything else from him.

Spot on. 

The way some of the media go on, you'd think moving from English football to Scottish football was like changing sports. 

Stendel will have access to all the spfl matches from this season so will have no problem analysing future opposition. 

When you look at the managers with Scottish experience we were linked with, you can't possibly see any of them as being better for the job than Stendel. 

11 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

Did Strudel not come fully formed.  Hit the ground running, likesay.

Poor show given the time Ann Budge had.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Very good.

Someone could tweet Spiers that one.

We occupy a landscape in Scotland where most of the dead wood news reporters are so addled in the mind that the gruesome Glasgow twosome are their love and truth and life.

Herr Daniel Stendel was the people’s choice; here on JKB on our supporter’s busses in the stands, the Board Room - Stendel was our Number One.

Let’s hope he can induce his passion, enthusiasm and technical ability in to our team and situation and turn our football dreams into reality.

I hope his appointment goes superbly well but if it doesn’t then we have absolutely no ammunition whatsoever with which to attack our directorship.

Can't win with the  Scottish back page Hemingways MacPhee ridiculed for having a suit,  Stendel for not having been to hair and make up before a post training press conference.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Unkempt? Was he not just back from a training session?

I am unconvinced that shitehawk is even a journalist!

He's a pianist.