Spiers on Stendel

jambovambo

6 minutes ago, S Form said:

I only put it on here because the comments are exactly the same as they were when we gave Cathro his job - 'the MSM hate it when we try anything radical', 'they're out to get us', 'get back in your box OF pandering sycophant'  etc etc.

Daniel Standel might have the talent and personality to change they way we play and perform but he's got a very big job on his hands and, so far, there's absolutely no evidence that he will succeed.

Fair play. I would say there’s no evidence he won’t succeed either though. Far too early to decide on that. As for the media, some actual research and a bit of fair criticism would be ok. GS just making a complete arse of himself tbh.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• EIEIO

• sadj

• JFK-1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I've said it before and I will say it again. 

Hearts have always been the club in Scotland who could upset the status quo. 

Everytime we look like we are getting it together the knives come out.

Fear. 

Not so sure we are quite at this stage yet.

We have made an ambitious appointment but it could go either way.

But as for Speirs comments, what a shitebag. Wouldn't dare say something like that about an old Firm appointment.

49 minutes ago, jambovambo said:

"I came away from Tynecastle yesterday feeling uneasy and unconvinced by Daniel Stendel’s appointment

. He seemed unkempt and unclear on various issues. I really admire Ann Budge - I just hope she’s called this right."

https://twitter.com/GrahamSpiers/status/1204708562699726848?s=20

“unconvinced” by his english Graham?

How’s yer German ya dick!!! 😏

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

There rightly are concerns. From me. We appoint someone with no experience of Scottish football. Not much by the way of a track record elsewhere. That said, every appointment is a risk. The fact he looks untidy and uncomfortable at his first press conference means nowt. 

We have a track record as football supporters of getting excited with new players, managers etc etc and time after time we end up disappointed. 

I am pleased that the club have got who they appear to have been after and hope against hope that he turns out to be the right man. 

We all slagged Kris Boyd and his like with their criticism of Cathros appointment and style and they were all right.  I am not going to get too self righteous in condemnation of them qustioning Stendles appointment but will choose to ignore what they say and hope that he turns out well for us.  

Not having a go at you mate, but you have concerns at him having no experience of Scottish football. What does he actually need to know about Scottish football that differs from English or German football? 

Spiers coming out with this after the guy has just taken over is a poor show, but wouldn’t expect anything else from him.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

“unconvinced” by his english Graham?

How’s yer German ya dick!!! 😏

👏👌

Sexton Hardcastle

This type of ‘journalism’ is just embarrassing. They are all at it these day. Him, English, Stewart and anyone who craves attention and clicks. 

No secret papers and media businesses are on their knees so they resort to low level blows to gain attention and traffic to their websites hunting every penny possible. The sooner they are all unemployed the better.

They shat it when vlad brought burley in & started stirring it from day 1. OK, granted there was something in that. We've appointed stendel and de ja vue has kicked in. 

I'm surprised none of the weegia has mentioned putting his towel down at the pool early. 

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Imagine if Spiers had said the opposite and he "admired" the appointment. This thread would look very different!

Ever since he played that piano, I've regarded Spiers as a weirdo who was best ignored.

Although our worldviews differ significantly, I generally enjoy reading your posts, Geoff, but I never had you down as a pianophobe. Disgraceful.

Салатные палочки

They really want this to fail badly. Press, pundits, opposition fans.  It's like Cathro all over again.  

Leveins Battalion

Everybody hates Hearts for one reason and one reason only,if and it’s a big ‘if’ we do eventually get it right then we are a threat to the Glasgow clubs.

Personally I like it when we have a siege mentality,Romanov lapped this up.

Ah the old I know **** all about this guy but his English wasn't very clear when he could hardly understand the accents of the shit Scottish journalist when they were hurling questions at him so I'll just say he will be pish chat

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Although our worldviews differ significantly, I generally enjoy reading your posts, Geoff, but I never had you down as a pianophobe. Disgraceful.

:laugh:

Playing piano on a shite football highlights show = weirdo

50 minutes ago, jambovambo said:

"I came away from Tynecastle yesterday feeling uneasy and unconvinced by Daniel Stendel’s appointment

. He seemed unkempt and unclear on various issues. I really admire Ann Budge - I just hope she’s called this right."

That article appears every single week in his Times column on Saturday. The name he talks about changes, but he says the same thing every single time. He hedges his bets on everyone. 

'I like him, and I hope it works out, but I'm not sure..' 

I look out for it every week and am rarely disappointed! Unlike poor Spiersy who worries for everyone...

Hackney Hearts
8 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

We all slagged Kris Boyd and his like with their criticism of Cathros appointment and style and they were all right. 

I've often wondered if this wasn't partly a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that the players started to believe the Kris Boyds of this world when things didn't go right. A lot of players prefer not to blame themselves.

Anyway, Cathro had no managerial experience. If Spiers was feeling uneasy (why uneasy? not a Rangers or Scotland appointment), then did he not think to contact any number of Barnsley fans, to settle his nerves? I don't think I've ever seen such a uniformly glowing deluge of recommendations from a fanbase, on an issue where you can normally expect some dissent. Many of them have adopted Hearts as their second team and are planning trips to Tynecastle in solidarity with their ex-manager. None of them seem uneasy on Hearts behalf - why does Spiers suddenly know better?

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Ah the old I know **** all about this guy but his English wasn't very clear when he could hardly understand the accents of the shit Scottish journalist when they were hurling questions at him so I'll just say he will be pish chat

Must be hard for him though, even we struggle sometimes to understand what these weedgies are saying🤷🏼‍♂️

Under the floodlight

All journalists and pundits need to confer and send us a fax detailing what is acceptable,Austin dressed in a suit but with long hair, Cathro with wrong clothing arrangement, Daniel with unkempt hair. Concentrate on football matters.

This guy Spiers is an utter tool, he was on sportsound one day saying all kids parents should be able to fork out 5 quid a week on football schools,until the guy who was working with underpriviledged kids pointed out that that's ok if your middle classed.

Under the floodlight

All journalists and pundits need to confer and send us a fax detailing what is acceptable,Austin dressed in a suit but with long hair, Cathro with wrong clothing arrangement, Daniel with unkempt hair. Concentrate on football matters.

This guy Spiers is an utter tool, he was on sportsound one day saying all kids parents should be able to fork out 5 quid a week on football schools,until the guy who was working with underpriviledged kids pointed out that that's ok if your middle classed.

I thought Daniel Stendel came across well.

Aside from not admitting to talking to another club while at Barnsley, the only thing he was unclear about was bringing in his own assistants. 

Of course we don't know. But he was very clear about what he wants to change. Thought it was pretty good. 

Horatio Caine

Ever since Vlad took over, we have been the black sheep of Scottish football.  We did things differently then, and when AB took over, that policy continued.  Fair play.  You can't keep working on the same tired old formula ad infinitum - although most clubs seem to be quite content to never change anything.  I'm glad we like to do things differently and yeah, it doesn't always work out, but if you never try to change the pattern, you never progress.

I think you'll find that in most walks of life, people who try to freshen things up by adopting a different approach meet with opposition from those who feel threatened by it.  Of course, Hearts are not a threat to anyone at the moment - but at least have a vision for change which, if successful, will certainly threaten the status quo.  When you don't understand something, just slag it off and hope it'll revert to normal.  That's what's happening here.  McCall thinks Robbo would have been a `good fit` for us - despite having asked what was meant by a `good fit`.  That shows us the level he's working on and, much as I love Robbo, I'm not sure I'd like to see him back as Manager.  Would hate to see the same happen to him as has happened to Levein.

32 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

Didn't Spiers come out with comments about being concerned about the state of the new stand, and that it was a glorified building site.

He was referring to the area where the 1874 bar and club shop now sit, but had still to completed at that time

Correct, although he used the term 'bomb site'. Clearly unable to distinguish between buildings going up and those coming down.  Not someone you'd leave unsupervised on a building site.

His hi vis jacket that day was probably bespoke courdory with leather patches.

Seymour M Hersh
30 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Imagine if Spiers had said the opposite and he "admired" the appointment. This thread would look very different!

Ever since he played that piano, I've regarded Spiers as a weirdo who was best ignored.

Well thanks Geoff for stating the ****ing obvious. Where would we be without your incisive input. 

I said it yesterday after seeing the interviews - Stedel won't be a media darling at all. You can tell he is likeable but they won't get the soundbites out of him and I'm not sure he even wants the attention. Seems too grounded. He was almost embarrassed that he was met off the plane by the press on Monday.

Hearts fans and players will love his passion though. 

FTMedia. Glad we've got our siege mentality back.

St Johnstone, Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen at home, and Hamilton away before the end of the year.

'Mon the JT's!

1 hour ago, jambovambo said:

The guy that will probably be residing in 10 Downing Street on Friday has often  'seemed unkempt and unclear on various issues' and he'll be running the country, not managing a wee Scottish football team. Haven't seen Speirs tweeting about him

42 minutes ago, Jocam2325 said:

There rightly are concerns. From me. We appoint someone with no experience of Scottish football. Not much by the way of a track record elsewhere. That said, every appointment is a risk. The fact he looks untidy and uncomfortable at his first press conference means nowt. 

We have a track record as football supporters of getting excited with new players, managers etc etc and time after time we end up disappointed. 

I am pleased that the club have got who they appear to have been after and hope against hope that he turns out to be the right man. 

We all slagged Kris Boyd and his like with their criticism of Cathros appointment and style and they were all right.  I am not going to get too self righteous in condemnation of them qustioning Stendles appointment but will choose to ignore what they say and hope that he turns out well for us.  

He was the standout candidate and there will always be risks that's management for you 

There was no other candidate i wanted 

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Hopefully creates a siege mentality amongst the fans and club however it creates unnecessary pressure.

Cathro buckled with the pressure but he wasn’t a manager hopefully Stendel will just take it all in his stride. 

The media have been an embarrassment regarding us for a while. Yesterday’s press conference was an example of them constantly looking to bring up the negative instead of focusing on the positives. I think a lot of it comes from us trying to do things a bit differently and especially in the west there’s, IMO, a strong disliking of Budge. A lot of which I believe to be non footballing issues.

Hopefully, I feel we are an easy target. Not as big as the old firm but still big enough that folk will read about us. 

48 minutes ago, S Form said:

so far, there's absolutely no evidence that he will succeed.

FFS, one day in the job and he hasn't convinced you, sack him now

SectionDJambo

It would be nice if the media actually gave the guy a chance before coming out with all sorts of forecasts of doom.

Typical Private Frazer,  “we’re doomed”,  Scottish mentality.

It would also be good if Hearts fans got behind him instead of joining in with the negativity. Instead of trying to be the smarty pants “I told you so”, how about embracing a bit of ambition to break the mould that hasn’t worked for the last few years.

As for him being without his assistants from Barnsley, has it escaped the attention of those highlighting this that we’ve had enough trouble getting him here, with the “rights” issue from the Barnsley Trump? We will need to wait a bit longer for him to be joined by anybody from Barnsley, and that would probably include the tea lady, if we were looking for one.

38 minutes ago, stan said:

That article appears every single week in his Times column on Saturday. The name he talks about changes, but he says the same thing every single time. He hedges his bets on everyone. 

'I like him, and I hope it works out, but I'm not sure..' 

I look out for it every week and am rarely disappointed! Unlike poor Spiersy who worries for everyone...

Yeah i don't know spiers or his work but this is a thing I've noticed with opinion journalists and just people in general. Like they're trying to make out they're seeing something no one else can or something.

Hackney Hearts
55 minutes ago, S Form said:

so far, there's absolutely no evidence that he will succeed.

Ha!

I think you mean there's no proof he will succeed. (hard/impossible in advance, in managerial terms)

Obviously there's evidence. Just call any Barnsley fan to the witness stand. 

A verdict is some way off. I will be in the public gallery, hoping for the right outcome.

Presumably would have been so much better if he had been wearing a smart Walter style waistcoat and blazer....I also felt uneasy but that was more about watching journalists wanting to talk about Barnsley when it clearly wasn’t the occasion and then shoe-horning “You play Celtic soon!!!!!!!” at the earliest opportunity. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

😂 yeah sorry you were made to feel uneasy Mr Spiers we should’ve had someone playing the bagpipes and handing out bars of tablet on your way in. Bloody foreigners, coming over here with their foreign ways and funny accents.

I can't take the man seriously after his Scotsport grand finale that night. I still question whether I dreamt it or not sometimes.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

We are getting it from all angles from the media at the moment. 

They are scared in case it works. We wont challenge for a title but we will take points off the old firm!!

1 hour ago, jambovambo said:

Basically he is saying, we now have possibly the best manager in Scotland, and he fears we will now screw the weegies!!!  

3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I can't take the man seriously after his Scotsport grand finale that night. I still question whether I dreamt it or not sometimes.

Bizarre doesn’t cover it. He always strike me as someone who would be more into badminton or men’s hockey than football. 

1 hour ago, S Form said:

I only put it on here because the comments are exactly the same as they were when we gave Cathro his job - 'the MSM hate it when we try anything radical', 'they're out to get us', 'get back in your box OF pandering sycophant'  etc etc.

Daniel Standel might have the talent and personality to change they way we play and perform but he's got a very big job on his hands and, so far, there's absolutely no evidence that he will succeed.

He only started the job yesterday ya bam!

Yes we could have done what Hibs did offered the job to two others then after being rejected brought in a coach previously sacked from Hearts. We didn’t and went with our first choice. Interesting that many comments from journalists are the same semi racist remarks when Vlad took over.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Bizarre doesn’t cover it. He always strike me as someone who would be more into badminton or men’s hockey than football. 

I think he's had it taken off the internet. Can't find it anywhere. :(

Gegenpressen should in theory work in any country and on any pitch.  My concern are not Strendell and his right hand man, they are the 4 useless, losing plonkers that are still stinking the joint out.

Under the floodlight
17 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

It would be nice if the media actually gave the guy a chance before coming out with all sorts of forecasts of doom.

Typical Private Frazer,  “we’re doomed”,  Scottish mentality.

It would also be good if Hearts fans got behind him instead of joining in with the negativity. Instead of trying to be the smarty pants “I told you so”, how about embracing a bit of ambition to break the mould that hasn’t worked for the last few years.

As for him being without his assistants from Barnsley, has it escaped the attention of those highlighting this that we’ve had enough trouble getting him here, with the “rights” issue from the Barnsley Trump? We will need to wait a bit longer for him to be joined by anybody from Barnsley, and that would probably include the tea lady, if we were looking for one.

This, good post.

Semper fidelis

Seems to be the default position of the Scottish sports press. Agree with poster who traced it back to Vlad. We have never been press darlings but it has definitely got worse since the Romanov era.  Can’t wait for the big physical Hearts chat to start .. then you know they are worried. To bring up his lack of sartorial elegance smacks of desperation to find something to criticise him for. Only one way to counter this type of coverage and that’s win games. 

Don’t remember this kind of media furore around the appointment of non-Scottish managers like Ronnie Diela, Wim Jansen, Pedro Caixinha, Pat Fenlon, Neil Lennon, Steven Gerrard, Alan Stubbs, Jim Goodwin, Ivan Golac, etc etc etc. In fact, there’s never been a furore like this since the last time Hearts hired a manager, and the time before that.

NaturalOrder74

For more than half of the interview they just asked him awkward questions about his old job, even after that most of the questions were about staff within the club and stuff like that after being with us five minutes.

The Scottish media just hate the prospect of anything exciting happening outside Glasgow

Austin was very smart. 3 piece suit no less. 
Brian Clough looked like Worzel Gummidge.

Graham Spiers! Gies piece ya throbber

The journalism on the whole is pathetic. Most looking to find digs rather than report the positives. They want us to fail and revel in it.

Time to circle the Volkswagens and get that proper us v everyone else mentality! 

Gorgie Rules Apply