MacPhee

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Has he not won 4 Premiership games as Hearts gaffer?

He may be counting them but he was hardly incharge. 

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• GinRummy

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bauld

15 minutes ago, baron of ness said:

When was the last time we scored 5 goals?

Hibs won 4-1 or something in Perth, is Eddie May the new messiah as well? Of course not. It’s one game.

12 minutes ago, Bauld said:

It could have been against an Icelandic Girl scout 11 it doesn't change the style with which we approached the game. 

We set up to go out and demolish them. We lost 2 goals and still the heads stayed up and the drive to keep pushing forward remained. After scoring 5 goals he was still giving it his best Jurgen klopp impression demanding us to keep pushing forward.

He's the first manager I have seen do that at Hearts for years.

I'm used to scoring one goal and shutting up shop. Then conceding and wondering what the **** we were doing.

It’s good to see but as I said, it proves nothing.

See post above.

I’m not entirely against the idea but I think we’ve been so shite for so long that folk seem happy to cling to anything that might seem positive. 

As I said above, Solskjaer being the prime example of not seeing the bigger picture and now he’s sitting on a 4 year contract.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Hibs won 4-1 or something in Perth, is Eddie May the new messiah as well? Of course not. It’s one game.

It’s good to see but as I said, it proves nothing.

See post above.

I’m not entirely against the idea but I think we’ve been so shite for so long that folk seem happy to cling to anything that might seem positive. 

As I said above, Solskjaer being the prime example of not seeing the bigger picture and now he’s sitting on a 4 year contract.

Ole isn't doing that bad. Just isn't a very good team. 

Since claiming a 1-1 draw against liverpool back in October Man Utd have won 5 out of 6. 

Getting Martial back has made a big difference because they haven't got much of a squad.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, My half sister said:

I think its fairly certain that Austin will join O'Neil at Stoke, so he won't be at Hearts for much longer

🤞🤞🤞

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, My half sister said:

I think its fairly certain that Austin will join O'Neil at Stoke, so he won't be at Hearts for much longer

Good post.

17 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Ole isn't doing that bad. Just isn't a very good team. 

Since claiming a 1-1 draw against liverpool back in October Man Utd have won 5 out of 6. 

Getting Martial back has made a big difference because they haven't got much of a squad.

You’re having a laugh. 

They're mid table rubbish. Nowhere near the level they should be for a club that size.

Hardly got a bad team either. They’ve got a side full of world class players. Sheff Utd, Leicester, Chelsea are doing better than them and Man Utd have better players than they do. Chelsea have got a transfer ban and had to promote all their youths.

Clearly it’s because they keep making shite appointments as manager. 

It’s a trap I don’t want us to fall into with MacPhee tbh. 

16 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You’re having a laugh. 

They're mid table rubbish. Nowhere near the level they should be for a club that size.

Hardly got a bad team either. They’ve got a side full of world class players. Sheff Utd, Leicester, Chelsea are doing better than them and Man Utd have better players than they do. Chelsea have got a transfer ban and had to promote all their youths.

Mcphee better not be anywhere near the job. 

He should have left with Levein. 

We need a complete change from the devastation Levein has left and Mcphee is part of that. 

I would be delighted if he went to Stoke to be honest. 

15 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Mcphee better not be anywhere near the job. 

He should have left with Levein. 

We need a complete change from the devastation Levein has left and Mcphee is part of that. 

I would be delighted if he went to Stoke to be honest. 

Wouldn’t give a toss if he did. Hopefully they give us some compensation for him. 😄

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He’s only had one good game. Not much to go on in terms of evidence. 

He was won 4 of the 5 games he has had in charge of Hearts.  He won the LC when St Mirren defeated us and he has helped Northern Ireland do much better than anyone expected..... 

This is more than one good game.  He is a success and a winner.

If there is no update on the search for a Sporting Director by the weekend then I expect McPhee will be announced in this role up his return from his duties with NI.

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If there is no update on the search for a Sporting Director by the weekend then I expect McPhee will be announced in this role up his return from his duties with NI.

Why?

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You’re having a laugh. 

The list of potential applicants that we know about is nothing to get excited about.

Austin McPhee us just as entitled to be considered as any on that betting list.

He will likely have the next three or four games to strengthen or weaken his case.

Your Man Utd  example just shows what a gamble a new manager is. It could just as likely gone wrong with a big name appointment.

7 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

John Hagart got immediate success in his first season, a cup final and fifth finish (our second best placing in a decade) the following season, then one of our best ever European nights in his third season .... which ended in relegation. 

7 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

Liverpool. 

8 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Bob Paisley, Walter Smith ? 

Not sure about Hagart, but the others were taking over teams that were already successful. It's that bit more difficult when the assistant was part of a regime associated with failure.

22 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Why?

I just think he’s been earmarked for the job and we’re allowing him to finish his NI duties before making any announcement.

35 minutes ago, McCrae said:

He was won 4 of the 5 games he has had in charge of Hearts.  He won the LC when St Mirren defeated us and he has helped Northern Ireland do much better than anyone expected..... 

This is more than one good game.  He is a success and a winner.

You say he’s won 4 out of 5 games, he might say that as well. He was maybe in the dugout for 3 of them while Levein was ill, that doesn’t mean he was incharge in reality. The players all knew Craig was the manager. 

Agree, he has good experience and maybe needs a break to prove himself. 

10 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The list of potential applicants that we know about is nothing to get excited about.

Austin McPhee us just as entitled to be considered as any on that betting list.

He will likely have the next three or four games to strengthen or weaken his case.

Your Man Utd  example just shows what a gamble a new manager is. It could just as likely gone wrong with a big name appointment.

We don’t know who’s applied bar the odd name. Some of us said this was the wrong approach to begin with and we should have drawn up a shortlist and tried to get our targets rather than inviting tonnes of dross and has beens to apply. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I agree, no one should rule Austin out but the only way I can see him getting 3 or 4 games to prove himself is if he is to be appointed.

The last bit I disagree with to an extent. Yeah, it could go wrong whoever you appoint, this is true. There is more risk however in appointing someone like Austin, with no great track record , than there is appointing someone with a long standing track record over maybe 5-10 years, possibly longer. Not a huge difference in risk on the face of it but Austin’s not been tested yet and he’s already made a mistake with selection v Rangers.

That said, Austin does have a fair amount of experience. The only thing that might go against him is, do the players really respect him? 

He’s not the same case as Cathro, Austin’s more confident but at the same time he’s got some old heids that have played at a much higher level and who may know better than him. Just a thought. Maybe having Parky & Naisy as his Assistants might help him on that front.

29 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I just think he’s been earmarked for the job and we’re allowing him to finish his NI duties before making any announcement.

👍

12 days till the next Hearts game, at least another 12 days of arguing about is MacPhee good enough to lead Hearts.  

Will the decision be made after the killie game? 

Probably not... but then the next games not till the 1st December against deedco ...     oh the excitement of it... 

Would like to get it sorted so we can get back to the football on the pitch. 

12 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You say he’s won 4 out of 5 games, he might say that as well. He was maybe in the dugout for 3 of them while Levein was ill, that doesn’t mean he was incharge in reality. The players all knew Craig was the manager. 

Agree, he has good experience and maybe needs a break to prove himself. 

We don’t know who’s applied bar the odd name. Some of us said this was the wrong approach to begin with and we should have drawn up a shortlist and tried to get our targets rather than inviting tonnes of dross and has beens to apply. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I agree, no one should rule Austin out but the only way I can see him getting 3 or 4 games to prove himself is if he is to be appointed.

The last bit I disagree with to an extent. Yeah, it could go wrong whoever you appoint, this is true. There is more risk however in appointing someone like Austin, with no great track record , than there is appointing someone with a long standing track record over maybe 5-10 years, possibly longer. Not a huge difference in risk on the face of it but Austin’s not been tested yet and he’s already made a mistake with selection v Rangers.

That said, Austin does have a fair amount of experience. The only thing that might go against him is, do the players really respect him? 

He’s not the same case as Cathro, Austin’s more confident but at the same time he’s got some old heids that have played at a much higher level and who may know better than him. Just a thought. Maybe having Parky & Naisy as his Assistants might help him on that front.

Regarding someone with a long standing track record over 5-10 years.

Does such a person exist given the gulf in finances between ourselves and a run of the mill League one club in England ?

Guest ToqueJambo

We should appoint McPhee as manager and SD just for giggles. McPhee seems to fit the bill for SD but I'm also interested seeing how he does as head coach. Early signs - mostly demeanour and confidence (and dress sense) as he's only had two games - are he's more Robbie Neilson than Ian Cathro.

Would rather McPhee for the rest of the season at least than Robinson, Wright, McCann or someone of that level. I think the SD position will be much easier to fill so if by giving McPhee more of a chance as head coach we miss out on getting him as SD that's not the end of the world. It's unclear which position he's more interested in - bit of a Dougie Freedman situation, interested in both roles.

Edited by ToqueJambo

8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Regarding someone with a long standing track record over 5-10 years.

Does such a person exist given the gulf in finances between ourselves and a run of the mill League one club in England ?

Hearts revenue last season was 12.1million or something. 

The average League 1 sides revenue is about 6million. 

I'm mainly a "no" on mcphee getting the job as he has been part of the problem the last few seasons. Also, his line up and tactics v rangers were atrocious.

All I would say though is his training routine was quite impressive. Really high tempo stuff and also wanted us to keep attacking v st Mirren.

Think it might depend on the quality of applicant as to whether he will be considered. 

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I'm mainly a "no" on mcphee getting the job as he has been part of the problem the last few seasons. Also, his line up and tactics v rangers were atrocious.

All I would say though is his training routine was quite impressive. Really high tempo stuff and also wanted us to keep attacking v st Mirren.

Think it might depend on the quality of applicant as to whether he will be considered. 

This suggests McPhee as his own man might have us playing and training very differently to McPhee as subordinate to Levein. Don't think we should dismiss his chances just because he worked for Levein. So did all the players.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

On our start to the season - did Aberdeen not have a bad first round of fixtures last year and do ok in the end? Like not as bad a start as us but still a bit shaky. 

The league is pretty compressed With no team outside the top 2 really in any run of form - if we string 3 out of 4 wins together we’d be looking much better

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

This suggests McPhee as his own man might have us playing and training very differently to McPhee as subordinate to Levein. Don't think we should dismiss his chances just because he worked for Levein. So did all the players.

Very good point.

Give the an a chance unless he quickly crashes and burns.

And some people just take to being a manager, and some don't. (See Cathro)

11 hours ago, Bauld said:

Does it not look like Austin has fresh ideas based on early evidence?

Yeh I loved the way he set us up at Hampden.

it was a touch of genius tbf.

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Yeh I loved the way he set us up at Hampden.

it was a touch of genius tbf.

Perish the thought of him getting the job.

It would be just papering over the cracks.

9 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Not sure about Hagart, but the others were taking over teams that were already successful. It's that bit more difficult when the assistant was part of a regime associated with failure.

Hagart took over in autumn 74,  last season of the old 18 team top division, when we were struggling and in danger of not finishing in the top ten. We immediately went on a great run, including a draw against Rangers, the eventual champions (ending a decade of Stein's Celtic dominance), and made the cut. A key signing was Don Murray in central defence,  who steadied the ship (for a while). 

(Edit) Hagart always came across as a thoroughly likeable guy, impressively so.

Edited by 4marsbars
Forgot something

Having read his latest interview in the EEN.......McPhee is once again highlighting the credentials that make him suitable for the role of SD.

The job is his imo.

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Having read his latest interview in the EEN.......McPhee is once again highlighting the credentials that make him suitable for the role of SD.

The job is his imo.

If it is then a condition should be the scrapping or giving up of his own Academy so there is no conflict of interest.

36 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

The job is his imo.

Excellent interview and a great vision for the club. His experience in training/coaching  is tremendous. He’ll make a good SD on condition he gets his hair cut. However I can’t see him as manager of the first team.

We_are_the_Hearts
7 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Great shout :thumbsup:

That was 45 years ago. Anything recent?

Edited by We_are_the_Hearts

The Old Tolbooth
Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

He inherited the best team in Europe. 

He also carried it on and kept them winning, a habit which lasted long after he left, he was a major success. 

We_are_the_Hearts
Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

He also carried it on and kept them winning, a habit which lasted long after he left, he was a major success. 

I actually edited that as Paisley improved Shankleys team and it was Fagan and Dalglish who inherited the best team in Europe

On 09/11/2019 at 17:22, Cruyff Turn said:

I’m not giving any Hearts manager a pat on the head for delivering what should be a run o’ the mill victory against shite like St.Mirren at home. 

Austin MacPhee’s not the answer. 

No game is 'run o' the mill' especially when your under pressure to get a result. Full credit to the manager for the thorough preparation and having the players in the right mindset. First time all season St Mirren have conceded 5 goals. Absolutely no question we are in good hands with MacPhee in charge. 

10 minutes ago, Gorgieboy7 said:

No game is 'run o' the mill' especially when your under pressure to get a result. Full credit to the manager for the thorough preparation and having the players in the right mindset. First time all season St Mirren have conceded 5 goals. Absolutely no question we are in good hands with MacPhee in charge. 

There is zero evidence to suggest that’s the case over a long term period.

He made an arse of the semi finals the week before.

17 minutes ago, Gorgieboy7 said:

You're last sentence is complete nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Gorgieboy7 said:

4 wins out of 5. Cheers

Apologies for being abrupt in previous reply.

Not saying he won't do a good job but as he's only had 5 games it's hardly a given.

Edited by GinRummy

Why are people so against MacPhee getting the sporting director role. Imo it is the perfect role for him. He is the reason so many of our players have arrived. With a lot more good than bad. He has also proven he can run an academy because he runs AM SPORTS. He wouldn't have any influence on the first team as SD. What's not to like. It is a role that plays to his strengths which when utilised are a great asset to any club

9 minutes ago, Robbo51 said:

Why are people so against MacPhee getting the sporting director role. Imo it is the perfect role for him. He is the reason so many of our players have arrived. With a lot more good than bad. He has also proven he can run an academy because he runs AM SPORTS. He wouldn't have any influence on the first team as SD. What's not to like. It is a role that plays to his strengths which when utilised are a great asset to any club

He’s talking the role up in today’s EEN , couple of wee digs at Levein reading between the lines .

mentions Vanacek & Martin’s financial implications . 

12 minutes ago, Robbo51 said:

How does running AM Sports prove he can run our academy?

Just now, GinRummy said:

Knew he had the sport tour business but didn't know he had a soccer club. Thanks.

I actually don't think it is his club anymore as it is non profit community club but he started it a good few years back. They seem to have a great structure according to the website site and social media. Have developed a lot of players with a few going into the professional ranks as well as abroad on scholarships.

Just now, Stavropol said:

I actually don't think it is his club anymore as it is non profit community club but he started it a good few years back. They seem to have a great structure according to the website site and social media. Have developed a lot of players with a few going into the professional ranks as well as abroad on scholarships.

Interesting info. Will have a look online  Thanks.