MacPhee

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

AM managed Coupar Hearts for a season, and had 9 seasons as a player. Which is definitely more experience than Cathro. 

(also his various other coaching experiences)

A whole season at Cupar Hearts? Never knew he had that sort of experience on his CV. Defo should be a contender for the job. 

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• GinRummy

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bauld

Just now, TheOak88 said:

A whole season at Cupar Hearts? Never knew he had that sort of experience on his CV. Defo should be a contender for the job. 

The season at Cupar Hearts wasn’t said with any irony whatsoever.

Dear lord.

It should have been ten
4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Would think the return of Naismith and Walker was more significant than McPhee's managerial ability. 

This in spades! 

He possibly would do well but at this moment, we need a fresh start with a new man who will bring in his own backroom team.

For me, last week is much more of a barometer of where we would be under McPhee than today was.

8 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Beating the worst team in the league at home isn’t enough for me to want him as manager. I think we need to go down a more tried and tested route this time.

I watched the game on Hearts tv and st mirren did not play like a team at the bottom of the league.

Just now, The Merse said:

The season at Cupar Hearts wasn’t said with any irony whatsoever.

Dear lord.

Nor was my comment. Whoosh. 

13 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Why not MacPhee?

What's the actual evidence that he could not be a successful Hearts manager?

Really? 

5 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

:rofl: 

Just now, The Merse said:

I knew you were taking the piss but Zlatanable clearly wasn’t :rofl:

Pretty sure Zlatan was taking the piss. At least I hope so!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Sporting director for me. Not on the coaching staff,  he has had a good week,  credit due. 

Kilmarnock away is a different kettle of fish 

Unfortunately for him he has been involved with both Cathro and Levein which has tainted his reputation and opinion with the fans.

Whilst I believe he has a lot of value to give I think for the good of the club we need to break away from daly, fox and McPhee.

17 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Why not MacPhee?

Not another one FFS!!! 

He has helped preside over 3 years of absolutely hopeless results and performances that’s why. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
20 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Why not MacPhee?

People don't understand what assistant means.

If he wins the next three on the bounce, then I would not say no to a deal to the end of the season to prove himself.

We can't attract most managers that would make the majority of hearts fans happy.

On the association with Levin. We don't know how much of Austin's potential was repressed, as ultimately he was there to support Craig. 

His chance is now. If he wins many games in a row, then I'm all for an extended trial while we check who else is available.

18 minutes ago, The Merse said:

There’s no such thing as a sure thing when appointing a manager but MacPhee is a gamble we can ill afford to take.

What evidence is there to suggest he is an excellent tactician? If he’s had no influence in all his time here I’d actually judge him for hanging about and accepting having no clout despite being assistant manager.

I don’t want Austin as boss either but to be fair it’s impossible to tell what influence he was allowed to have on Levein’s side. Craig is such a strong minded guy.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

People don't understand what assistant means.

Because different assistants have various levels of input and influence and unless you are on the inside it’s impossible to tell.

I expected the inevitable reaction at some point. Especially with Naismith back in.  

He did as much managing today as McPhee did. 

Never been a fan of managers constantly being at the touch line. It’s a sign of many things not being right. 

He conceded a semi final before a ball was kicked? 

He deserves credit today but he should be nowhere near it. Heckingbottom and solskjaer got a new manager bounce last season turns out they are dreadful. 

We need experience not a punt

Bit of a hard one for me as clearly something wasn’t right under CL but injuries were a killer...I used to be an assistant manager in an office and had really good ideas but the manager wouldn’t listen to me, at the time the job was the best I could achieve hence why I never left...

It all depends on where Levein listened to any advice or views which mcphee gave ... He may well have a better handle on things ... Who knows .... Maybe a few more games would give a fairer assertion of his aptitude

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I predicted the MacPhee debate on the match thread.

I still think the mess we are in is mostly down to injuries - today’s result and the players we had available was no fluke.

It would also be no surprise that this would have been 5-0 with Souttar and Halkett back.

Shit happens though; we move on. We do actually have a good first team plus 5.

jack D and coke

It’s probably Naismith imo. He gets tore into everyone and is constantly whigeing, cajoling whatever you want to call it and that is the main difference.
We are a different side when he’s playing and and more importantly fit. 
MacPhee I’m pretty torn on I’ll be honest. In one respect I think the club needs an injection of freshness but I wouldn’t be averse to having him stay in some role. 
He strikes me as someone with modern ideas on the game. 

27 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Would think the return of Naismith and Walker was more significant than McPhee's managerial ability. 

This is it!

AllyjamboDerbyshire
34 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Why not MacPhee?

Today, MacPhee's tactics didn't beat St Mirren, it was having a player who, despite not being fully fit, was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. I don't need to give his name, everyone knows who he is.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, jumpship said:

Before the match today he said, win win gives him more time to stake his claim on the job... does that mean Budge is holding off? 

I hope not.

Give him a 4 year contract now.

:laugh:

23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Well he has been part of Cathro’s and Leveins back room staff who were amongst the biggest managerial failures in the clubs history, including claiming some of the clubs worst performance records. He has been a major part of the management team that was responsible for that failure. 

He has no experience of being a head coach at a club of the level of hearts. So there is absolutely no passed record to provide any confidence he would be a success. 

So the only evidence on his coaching ability we have it one of failure. Failure should never be rewarded. 

If you’re going to make a play for a manager of the back of todays result, you would have been better going Naismith.

He has had "some" experience of being a head coach at a club the level of Hearts though, in fact he has "some" experience of being the head coach of Hearts.

Played 5, won 4 I think is what I heard.

It's not much experience but it's not none.

This doesn't mean I think he should get the job.

His time as interim manager should not be used as any influence on wether or not he is to get the job full-time, his credentials should be known already he's been employed at the club for the last 3 years.

To give him the job on the strength of how he performs in these games is a recipe for disaster.

Don't forget Peter Houston taking over from Levein at Dundee United lost his first game 7/1 to Rangers then as he found his feet went on to do quite well winning the cup. It's almost like the United team had to shake off Levein's influence before resetting to a new way.

Similar to last week perhaps!

Robbie Neilson had his best performance as Hearts boss the night we hammered Rangers,  this was his last game and news of him leaving prior to the game meant he could be his own man without having to think of or be influenced by Levein.

Experience is of little or no value.

It's what you learn from the experience what's important. Too many managers keep repeating the same mistakes without ever taking stock and eventually fizzle out, why? Not because the games moved on its because they haven't. In my opinion. McPhee seems willing to learn and demonstrated this over his career, he seems quite switched on.

When you can transmit a positive ethos this passes quickly and can be  a dynamic influence as others naturally follow, this idea of needing time to build etc is actually crap, if the message is clear, the man management good and the manager is able to exhibit a brave belief in himself then the right results can happen quickly, feck sake it's the Scottish League we are in.

Not saying McPhee is or isn't the answer, however the Hearts players generally bar 1/2 are good enough to be well in the mix at the top end of the table, what they need is a leader, 

who on here actually knows anything about him and his qualities. Most will opinionate on what they think not what they know.

11 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Today, MacPhee's tactics didn't beat St Mirren, it was having a player who, despite not being fully fit, was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. I don't need to give his name, everyone knows who he is.

I think that’s unfair. There was a willingness to take the game to the opposition today that quite simply hasn’t been there all season. Obviously Naismith made a difference but Austin done ok today.

49 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Beating the worst team in the league at home isn’t enough for me to want him as manager. I think we need to go down a more tried and tested route this time.

Before today st Mirren had only lost 11 goals in 11 games, I think the team and Austin deserve a bit of credit for putting 5 past them.

48 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

His contribution to the previous 3 years at the club?

Exactly this. He’s worked with them everyday for 3 years and suddenly he’s the ****ing messiah because he beat St Mirren at home. :vrface:

And Ann said a top experienced manager and that money wasn’t an issue. I’ll be holding her to that. 

I'm not saying I want him as our manager but the judgements based on him being part of the management teams and poor performances is not a good example. He's been part of the NI management team and they've been doing really well. 

It's difficult to gauge what the requirements are for football management but I don't think there's much out there. 

Look we won today which is great but he is continuing in the same vein of over complicating the defence.I also have the feeling he will tinker from one game to the next leading to more confusion.But hey congrats cause we won today.

2 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

He was very scathing about the club, I thought he sounded bitter. Maybe something has happened with him and the club?!

Or maybe he is just telling the truth?

50 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Not another one FFS!!! 

He has helped preside over 3 years of absolutely hopeless results and performances that’s why. 

Correct.

This limited thinking, devoid of imagination,  is exactly what has got us into the position we find ourselves.  

Edited by ScoPo

Let's not get carried away here. We won against a rank rotten st Mirren team. I expect nothing less from Heart of Midlothian at home. He had a chance to impress last week and chose to start with Craig Wighton. And for that I thank him for his contribution but quite happy to see him move on when  we have a new manager in place.

19 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Sporting Director and Manager not enough for you?

Plenty. Filling one of those roles with Austin MacPhee isn't though, which is what this thread is about no?

It’s too early to be dishing out contracts at the minute but he’s done his case no harm today. First home league win in 7 months and an emphatic scoreline to boot. It’s at the very least given me some confidence that we are good hands for the short term and can conduct a proper search for a manager of higher quality.

If he keeps it up over the coming weeks and we haven’t had any standout candidates come forward (lets be honest none of these names getting banded about barring maybe Daniel Stendel are particularly captivating) I’d be happy to give him the season to prove himself with an option to keep him on permanently if he impresses enough.

As an example, Rangers gave Murty the season after they sacked Pedro. He did an unspectacular job and was never going to challenge celtic but he did enough to get them a Europa league finish and this allowed the board the time to wait till the right man came along to take them up a level. I’d say judging by their current position this worked out pretty well for them.

Edited by boag1874

15 minutes ago, jambo1975 said:

Let's not get carried away here. We won against a rank rotten st Mirren team. I expect nothing less from Heart of Midlothian at home. He had a chance to impress last week and chose to start with Craig Wighton. And for that I thank him for his contribution but quite happy to see him move on when  we have a new manager in place.

Correct

Maybe they didn’t look like a team at the bottom of the league as they where playing a team that was level with them at the bottom. 

He did well today but made a complete arse last week.

sorry, but although I appreciate what he brings in player recruitment and probably socially he is partially culpable in the shitefest we have endured the last 2 years. One win and I’m not changing my underwear just yet.

what I would say is that I was delighted in his bench positivity today. Something that under Levein was dead.

hmmmmm.

Edited by 1971fozzy

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It can’t be allowed to happen. 

It’s a good result but folks getting chuffed at hammering St Midden at home just shows how far our standards have fallen.

And also I’m a bit bitter because I’ve been to every home prior to the Rangers game this season, didn’t go today and we scored 5 goals :rofl:

We have never often scored 5 goals to be fair. Not getting carried away but it’s relatively rare. Once a season max.