• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• GinRummy

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bauld

Some quite astonishing short term thinking to even think about giving MacPhee the job after beating the worst team in the league. The issue wasn't just Levein, it's the coaching set up, recruitment, the size of the squad and the style of play. Parking the fact he has been complicit in the failure why would you bring in someone with zero top level management experience to resolve these issues? It's insane to suggest this could be a long term solution and if it does happen, which I find unlikely, it could only be because Budge wants to apply a sticking plaster until she goes. The likelihood being that will be a lot quicker than many of us are anticipating. 

2 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Some quite astonishing short term thinking to even think about giving MacPhee the job after beating the worst team in the league. The issue wasn't just Levein, it's the coaching set up, recruitment, the size of the squad and the style of play. Parking the fact he has been complicit in the failure why would you bring in someone with zero top level management experience to resolve these issues? It's insane to suggest this could be a long term solution and if it does happen, which I find unlikely, it could only be because Budge wants to apply a sticking plaster until she goes. The likelihood being that will be a lot quicker than many of us are anticipating. 

Technically her time is up next March/April when the money is handed over. FoH have asked her to consider staying on for two years. If we get a new manager soon I suspect it means she is staying on. If it’s McPhee as an interim until Xmas or end of season then she is for the off. Should know within next couple of weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Has appointing an assistant manager to the full role ever been successful in the medium term at any club ever?

Bob Paisley, Walter Smith ? 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Technically her time is up next March/April when the money is handed over. FoH have asked her to consider staying on for two years. If we get a new manager soon I suspect it means she is staying on. If it’s McPhee as an interim until Xmas or end of season then she is for the off. Should know within next couple of weeks. 

Think that is an accurate assessment of the situation. Hopefully they are taking their time to find the right person rather than trying to come up with some gimmick to sell MacPhee as the future. 

Bungalow Bill
13 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Has appointing an assistant manager to the full role ever been successful in the medium term at any club ever?

Liverpool. 

14 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Honestly can’t believe some people want to go down the road of giving him the  job??? 

absolutely baffled!!

I laughed when they gave Lampard the job at Chelsea.

I laughed when Gerrard got the job at Rangers.

Both have done excellent jobs so far despite having no real managerial experience.

Ole at Man Utd went through a rough patch but they have started to pick up points and while they are miles away in terms of quality the signings he made have been good, he just needs more of them. He has also got some good young talent playing well.

There is still no evidence to suggest MacPhee can't do the job. He has been with the club for 2 unsuccessful managerial spells but he never called the shots either time. The moment he was given the chance to call the shots he ripped up the blueprint and got us playing fast, attacking football. Against St Mirren we consistently had 5 bodies charging into the box looking to score. NEVER would that happen under Levein or Cathro. He is his own man and clearly has a different style to them.

He can't be held responsible for Dikamona and Berra making an arse of it to let St Mirren score. They should be better than that.

Looking at how Naismith and Walker played I think he also made the right call to use the likes of Wighton against Rangers. He will know Wighton isn't the best option but giving those injured guys another week to get up to speed looks like the right decision.

30 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

John Hagart got immediate success in his first season, a cup final and fifth finish (our second best placing in a decade) the following season, then one of our best ever European nights in his third season .... which ended in relegation. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
53 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Did he not immediately address this? Semi, zero chance to implement anything, Monday he decides to take training to St Andrews with a select group, working intensively to attack on the Saturday.

I'm not keen on him getting it long term, but I think MacPhee has recognised as much as anyone Leveins plans had to be torn up.

I just cant subscribe he was complicit. I tell my boss daily their plan is shit, still carries on with it. That's hierarchy, some people listen to their staff, others don't, those that listen get on better.

However, I don't think he will inspire the masses over a period of time, if it were him, he would need a SD of some note, its one thing taking someone elses job and managing the crisis, its another thing moving it forward and taking the troops with you.

Its a no for me, simply believe there will be somebody in the mix who has better credentials, meanwhile I will give the guy kudos for mixing it up, I thought he had lost the plot with the cup final chat and St Andrews visit, diversionary tactics with Uche, using White giving Hickey a bit of support, getting Mulraney on.

He did very well for an audition, but its one swallow

Edited by Sir Gio

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, Stavropol said:

Interesting article on views from Mulraney. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/jake-mulraney-says-hearts-time-17230700

Seems the plan is much clearer to the players than it has been. Clear focus on how McPhee wants them to play and they were all understanding of it. I can't help that part of the problem has been the information to the players changing constantly and causing confusion. 

Great win which will hopefully kickstart our recovery. HHGH

Our players always say the right things. They are world class when it comes to talking.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

As I said on other thread, I’d we can attract someone of undeniable calibre then fair enough, but if it’s Robinson or Ross I’d rather we just give Austin a chance till the end of the season and see what he can do

Definitely agree regarding robinson, who took over at motherwell in much the same

circumstances as Mcphee now but with less coaching experience than mcphee.

6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Did he not immediately address this? Semi, zero chance to implement anything, Monday he decides to take training to St Andrews with a select group, working intensively to attack on the Saturday.

I'm not keen on him getting it long term, but I think MacPhee has recognised as much as anyone Leveins plans had to be torn up.

I just cant subscribe he was complicit. I tell my boss daily their plan is shit, still carries on with it. That's hierarchy, some people listen to their staff, others don't, those that listen get on better.

I was really talking about managing the size of the squad longer term, identifying players who definitely have no future at the club and building the future squad around the nucleus we keep. An overall failure of strategy has left us with the size of squad we have just now. 

I disagree about him not being complicit, even on simple things like the endless discussions on the sidelines over substitutions while games run away from us. If he is not at least partially complicit then is he strong enough and what was he actually doing for us? Anyway, as I said parking that I fail to see why he would be a suitable choice to take the club forward based on his CV alone. He is clearly a very intelligent and eloquent individual but I would like to actually see evidence of management and shaping a club in a candidate's experience. 

Ex member of the SaS

Ok Maybe a bit conspiracy theory but I have always been of the opinion that Robbie did a great job with no interference from Levein.

Levein's five year plan had us in the Championship for two seasons. Robbie messed up that plan by walking it. Levein then destroyed the Championship winning team, claiming the same or better would be brought in. No reason to do this, as many players could have done as back up's.and bring in two or three to spice things up.

Adding a couple or more each season as money and infrastructure improved.

Having gained promotion early Levein started to take a bigger part in running the team and this is why Robbie walked.

Would I take Robbie back right now? Probably not, as I feel a manger that has no fear of the Glasgow bigots is required.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I was really talking about managing the size of the squad longer term, identifying players who definitely have no future at the club and building the future squad around the nucleus we keep. An overall failure of strategy has left us with the size of squad we have just now. 

I disagree about him not being complicit, even on simple things like the endless discussions on the sidelines over substitutions while games run away from us. If he is not at least partially complicit then is he strong enough and what was he actually doing for us? Anyway, as I said parking that I fail to see why he would be a suitable choice to take the club forward based on his CV alone. He is clearly a very intelligent and eloquent individual but I would like to actually see evidence of management and shaping a club in a candidate's experience. 

Do you think Levein would listen. I honestly don't. What he has been doing is following instruction whilst acting as a very handy salesman for transfers.

During the summer window, I continually suggested we had too many players, you cant have 33 players and train properly, its diluted. I'm no expert thought this was obvious, well it seems he knew that too, as you would expect.

Saturday was all a bit harem scarem and was as much down to the presence of 1 player as anything else. Had he not been on the field, it could have ended the same way as Hamilton or Motherwell for example.

Not his fault of course Naismith just happened to be available. Not that I'm suggesting he doesn't play, but a reflection on his ability would be playing a couple of matches without him.

Unfortunately for Austin, many, maybe rightly, maybe wrongly, we simply don't know, are going to cite him as part of the problem, at least coaching. I would therefore prefer him to step into a role I think he was made for,  and work with a manager, not of his choice, but one that meets the blueprint he has set.

@Cruyff Turn laid out some of his experience earlier. He was seen as quite a coup, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, Levein was never going to listen to a word he said. A stubborn person, stuck in his ways.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ok Maybe a bit conspiracy theory but I have always been of the opinion that Robbie did a great job with no interference from Levein.

Levein's five year plan had us in the Championship for two seasons. Robbie messed up that plan by walking it. Levein then destroyed the Championship winning team, claiming the same or better would be brought in. No reason to do this, as many players could have done as back up's.and bring in two or three to spice things up.

Adding a couple or more each season as money and infrastructure improved.

Having gained promotion early Levein started to take a bigger part in running the team and this is why Robbie walked.

Would I take Robbie back right now? Probably not, as I feel a manger that has no fear of the Glasgow bigots is required.

Neilson won at Ibrox and got a draw at Parkhead, also pumped Rangers at Tynecastle 2/3 shots. Particularly like his tactic at Parkhead of getting Paterson to kick Forrest all afternoon.

Take this point though, hence why I would like to see a foreign appointment, not an English one, if outside of Scotland. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to playing these 2.

ScandinavianJambo
5 hours ago, Stavropol said:

Interesting article on views from Mulraney. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/jake-mulraney-says-hearts-time-17230700

Seems the plan is much clearer to the players than it has been. Clear focus on how McPhee wants them to play and they were all understanding of it. I can't help that part of the problem has been the information to the players changing constantly and causing confusion. 

Great win which will hopefully kickstart our recovery. HHGH

My thoughts too

13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Do you think Levein would listen. I honestly don't. What he has been doing is following instruction whilst acting as a very handy salesman for transfers.

During the summer window, I continually suggested we had too many players, you cant have 33 players and train properly, its diluted. I'm no expert thought this was obvious, well it seems he knew that too, as you would expect.

Saturday was all a bit harem scarem and was as much down to the presence of 1 player as anything else. Had he not been on the field, it could have ended the same way as Hamilton or Motherwell for example.

Not his fault of course Naismith just happened to be available. Not that I'm suggesting he doesn't play, but a reflection on his ability would be playing a couple of matches without him.

Unfortunately for Austin, many, maybe rightly, maybe wrongly, we simply don't know, are going to cite him as part of the problem, at least coaching. I would therefore prefer him to step into a role I think he was made for,  and work with a manager, not of his choice, but one that meets the blueprint he has set.

@Cruyff Turn laid out some of his experience earlier. He was seen as quite a coup, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, Levein was never going to listen to a word he said. A stubborn person, stuck in his ways.

Very fair points Sir Gio, completely agree on the squad, game on Saturday and that his contacts have turned up some good players, notably Smith and Whelan. 

The two things I don't doubt are MacPhee’s intelligence or networking skills. Those would seem decent qualities for the Sporting Director role. 

Levein's stubbornness is at the heart of so much of this. It is true that it's difficult to apportion specific blame to individuals and I do have a degree of sympathy with the coaches as they don't seem to have much time invested in their development but there must be some collective responsibility for the mistakes made. When the new manager comes in I really can't see him keeping coaches and helping them develop, it's much more likely they bring in people they know and trust. 

Quick question and it's a wee bit of a naughty one. Do you think Naismith was looking after himself slightly and single mindedly saw the St Mirren game as the right game for him to come back so he could fulfil his international ambitions?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Jodami said:

Very fair points Sir Gio, completely agree on the squad, game on Saturday and that his contacts have turned up some good players, notably Smith and Whelan. 

The two things I don't doubt are MacPhee’s intelligence or networking skills. Those would seem decent qualities for the Sporting Director role. 

Levein's stubbornness is at the heart of so much of this. It is true that it's difficult to apportion specific blame to individuals and I do have a degree of sympathy with the coaches as they don't seem to have much time invested in their development but there must be some collective responsibility for the mistakes made. When the new manager comes in I really can't see him keeping coaches and helping them develop, it's much more likely they bring in people they know and trust. 

Quick question and it's a wee bit of a naughty one. Do you think Naismith was looking after himself slightly and single mindedly saw the St Mirren game as the right game for him to come back so he could fulfil his international ambitions?

Quite possibly. He seems to have come back very strong. Though I believe he is looking forward to next summer and potential of a finals with Scotland. 

Benefit of the doubt,  he would probably have started the semifinal had there been anything sinister about his fitness. 

I wonder how much influence he may have on a future appointment. 

Naismith Berra and Whelan have certainly the knowledge and experience at a variety of levels to offer some strong opinions 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nobody at our club seems to be at fault or accountable for anything :rofl:

Levein has,  eventually,  been held accountable. 

Certainly been too nice 

He deserves to be discussd re either of the roles

It would be a gamble to appoint him manager with no managerial track record

Of course it would be a gamble to appoint him 'Sporting Director' but he has more of a track record in that role.

There are no certainties in football and no one can be sure whether he would be a success in either role but thats what interviews and doing your homework regarding candidates is for. He has an advantage in that he is working for the club and better known than others to those in charge

Dusk_Till_Dawn
33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Levein has,  eventually,  been held accountable. 

Certainly been too nice 

Even then he’s still in the building - as if to say, it wasn’t really his fault.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, pointon said:

This is possibly why the club will drag out this process in hope that McPhee gets results 

Would be classic Budge tbf

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nobody at our club seems to be at fault or accountable for anything :rofl:

I’m convinced McPhee should get the job.

:rofl:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
28 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

He deserves to be discussd re either of the roles

It would be a gamble to appoint him manager with no managerial track record

Of course it would be a gamble to appoint him 'Sporting Director' but he has more of a track record in that role.

There are no certainties in football and no one can be sure whether he would be a success in either role but thats what interviews and doing your homework regarding candidates is for. He has an advantage in that he is working for the club and better known than others to those in charge

I reckon it is easier to remove a Sporting director or dilute the role to the point they may as well be ordering cones. If it goes boobs north

Even if McPhee could do the job or wasn’t hugely at fault along with Levein for the last year of form, in the minds of the support they just want him out of the managers chair. Even if it was so unjust, most of the support want change.  

Keeping him on I don’t think refreshes the mood around Hearts. The playing side needs reinvigorated with the support back in a hopeful, upbeat state and looking forward to what a new management team may bring.

A positive atmosphere around a football club is huge and a vital cog amongst many which contributes to a successful team. 

Not sure if McPhee would step back into the shadows with a more background role, certainly if he has his own ambitions?

It may be an unpopular view but I wouldn't be against giving Austin the job on a temp basis until the end of the year. I don't totally buy into the theory that he has been complicit during Levein's tenure as I believe Levein wouldn't listen to anyone else in the dugout. The tactics were significantly different on Saturday and as various players have said there was much more of a plan in place and everyone knew their role on the park.

Austin is intelligent and articulate and has obviously been instrumental in the past in bringing certain players to the club. I cant see him been worse than say a Robinson, McCann or Ross!  Lets see if we can keep the feel good factor going and keep the positive, attacking tactics in place up to the end of the year as we have some tricky fixtures coming up and this will tell us if he has the attributes to have the job on a permanent basis. 

5 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

It may be an unpopular view but I wouldn't be against giving Austin the job on a temp basis until the end of the year. I don't totally buy into the theory that he has been complicit during Levein's tenure as I believe Levein wouldn't listen to anyone else in the dugout. The tactics were significantly different on Saturday and as various players have said there was much more of a plan in place and everyone knew their role on the park.

Austin is intelligent and articulate and has obviously been instrumental in the past in bringing certain players to the club. I cant see him been worse than say a Robinson, McCann or Ross!  Lets see if we can keep the feel good factor going and keep the positive, attacking tactics in place up to the end of the year as we have some tricky fixtures coming up and this will tell us if he has the attributes to have the job on a permanent basis. 

Exactly this. We're a club that are always going to attract candidates because we're being run right. 

This season is ****ed. Levein has made sure of that. Giving Austin the chance to fail loses us nothing and potentially gives us a chance to be entertained this season. 

As soon as he gets two defeats in a row we would be back to square one with the fans and this regime.

And talk of him being considered for SD is preposterous . 

His only hope should be if the new manager wants him on his coaching team , if not it should be adios amigo . 

5 hours ago, Bauld said:

I laughed when they gave Lampard the job at Chelsea.

I laughed when Gerrard got the job at Rangers.

Both have done excellent jobs so far despite having no real managerial experience.

Ole at Man Utd went through a rough patch but they have started to pick up points and while they are miles away in terms of quality the signings he made have been good, he just needs more of them. He has also got some good young talent playing well.

There is still no evidence to suggest MacPhee can't do the job. He has been with the club for 2 unsuccessful managerial spells but he never called the shots either time. The moment he was given the chance to call the shots he ripped up the blueprint and got us playing fast, attacking football. Against St Mirren we consistently had 5 bodies charging into the box looking to score. NEVER would that happen under Levein or Cathro. He is his own man and clearly has a different style to them.

He can't be held responsible for Dikamona and Berra making an arse of it to let St Mirren score. They should be better than that.

Looking at how Naismith and Walker played I think he also made the right call to use the likes of Wighton against Rangers. He will know Wighton isn't the best option but giving those injured guys another week to get up to speed looks like the right decision.

Thought provoking post.

What will we be saying if he fields an attacking line-up at Killie who go hard for the entire 90 minutes and win 4-0?

2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Thought provoking post.

What will we be saying if he fields an attacking line-up at Killie who go hard for the entire 90 minutes and win 4-0?

Won't be easy that one. Kilmarnock were on form until the weekend when Hamilton scored a couple of really good goals but they still fought back to claim the draw. 

Brophy will cause Berra and Dikamona some major problems if they don't get their shit together. 

Lampard and Gerard are different gravy wtf you were laughing at god knows.

Naisy could do the job I have no doubts am not laughing, mcphee not for me.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
29 minutes ago, OTT said:

Exactly this. We're a club that are always going to attract candidates because we're being run right. 

This season is ****ed. Levein has made sure of that. Giving Austin the chance to fail loses us nothing and potentially gives us a chance to be entertained this season. 

Jesus

Dusk_Till_Dawn
17 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Thought provoking post.

What will be saying if we go to Killie and get beat?

1 minute ago, pointon said:

I think it’s best for the club to clear all these coaches out and I include Austin McPhee to get some fresh ideas in

Does it not look like Austin has fresh ideas based on early evidence?

1 minute ago, Bauld said:

Part of two failed management teams get a decent manager in and allow him to setup his backroom team

4 minutes ago, Bauld said:

He’s only had one good game. Not much to go on in terms of evidence. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Against the shitest team in the league.

Then again, we are talking about JKB standards which are virtually non-existent.

baron of ness
6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

When was the last time we scored 5 goals?

7 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It could have been against an Icelandic Girl scout 11 it doesn't change the style with which we approached the game. 

We set up to go out and demolish them. We lost 2 goals and still the heads stayed up and the drive to keep pushing forward remained. After scoring 5 goals he was still giving it his best Jurgen klopp impression demanding us to keep pushing forward.

He's the first manager I have seen do that at Hearts for years.

I'm used to scoring one goal and shutting up shop. Then conceding and wondering what the **** we were doing.

11 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Has he not won 4 Premiership games as Hearts gaffer?

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Against the shitest team in the league.

Then again, we are talking about JKB standards which are virtually non-existent.

Indeed. We won’t know what MacPhee can do because we’d have to give him a shot to see.

One game tells us nothing. He could win the next 4 games and it may just be a complete coincidence because Walker, Naisy are back and the players are not being held back by Levein. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Look at Solskjaer at Man Utd, the players were happy to get rid off Mourinho and his destructive football. He was doing well short term but once the honeymoon period was over they started going backwards again and are now pretty much a mid table side at best.

I’m curious to see whether MacPhee is some kind of Julian Nagelsmann and he has lots of great ideas but it’s a feckin enormous risk giving him the job.

If we did it would have to be until the summer at most or on a rolling monthly contract until we see evidence over 20 games whether he’s worth the punt long term. That would mean another experiment and possibly no chance of salvaging this season. 

I can’t see the board going down that route tbh. They only just saved face by punting Levein, it was either him or them. They chose wisely but now they need to appoint the right man who they believe can do the business over the next 3 years.