MacPhee

3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Perish the thought of him getting the job.

It would be just papering over the cracks.

Can’t fathom out why some folk want to go down the route of promoting within which we all pretty much said would be doomed to failure.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• GinRummy

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bauld

His line up and tactics for last week, were futile and infantile. He has been complicit in the decision making process for 3+ years now. Time for us to get rid,no way is he the answer we deserve. 

He's winning me round, certainly talking a good game.

I'll give whoever it his my support but feel there would be too much unrest if he got managers gig now.

Could be lined up for SD role. Probably the best fit.

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

I actually edited that as Paisley improved Shankleys team and it was Fagan and Dalglish who inherited the best team in Europe

You were probably still correct with your first statement to be fair 

We have players, who need a manager to get in their faces, AMcP is probably pals with most of our players. Steven Naysmith is pals with no one, just give us 110%,for your wage.

Gordon Ramsay

I do think he understands that the majority of us want to see a Hearts team attacks but then a blind man could see that. 

Seems to be saying the right things but it's all about what we produce on the pitch. Interested to see how we approach the Kilmarnock game. 

The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Can’t fathom out why some folk want to go down the route of promoting within which we all pretty much said would be doomed to failure.

If nothing has been learned over the last few years about the carnage caused on the football side we will be in deep shit.

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

There is zero evidence to suggest that’s the case over a long term period.

He made an arse of the semi finals the week before.

It will be interesting to see how he sets us up at Ibrox if he is still interim manager by then.

I have an open mind on this appointment we will know more in the coming weeks.

If we get another win against killie then i dont see why he should not be in the conversation. He clearly wants the team to play an attacking game and that showed on saturday. that is what the fans were crying out for myself included. He has been assistant for the last two managers, the assistant does not dictate how the team plays he adds value in other areas. Mcphee's vision is to play on the front foot and if the opposition score 2 then we score more.

7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It will be interesting to see how he sets us up at Ibrox if he is still interim manager by then.

I have an open mind on this appointment we will know more in the coming weeks.

Do you think he’ll still be incharge in a fortnights time for that game?

If we were interested in making an appointment, you’d think not. 

13 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

I do think he understands that the majority of us want to see a Hearts team attacks but then a blind man could see that. 

Seems to be saying the right things but it's all about what we produce on the pitch. Interested to see how we approach the Kilmarnock game. 

5 minutes ago, gov said:

If we get another win against killie then i dont see why he should not be in the conversation. He clearly wants the team to play an attacking game and that showed on saturday. that is what the fans were crying out for myself included. He has been assistant for the last two managers, the assistant does not dictate how the team plays he adds value in other areas. Mcphee's vision is to play on the front foot and if the opposition score 2 then we score more.

I’m curious to see what he has to offer but at the same time doubt he’s the right man.

Certainly saying the things we all want to hear and desperately want to see. 

McPhee's CV boosted astronomically with a 5-2 home win against bottom of the table St Mirren. I wonder if any of the other applicants have ever trousered a minnow at home? 

7 minutes ago, gov said:

We seem to be getting a little excitable over a win v St Mirren in respect of how we now see McPhee. 

There’s all different kinds of scenarios in football and are we to “wait and see” how he copes as a manager when those situations arise,  or try to go and get someone a bit more proven with the profile Budge has eluded to?

Its too much of a risk for me to give McPhee the job and tempt the same level of apathy in the support if things take a dip. He’ll always be associated with CL and his camp.  

Edited by Debut 4

We_are_the_Hearts
Just now, Debut 4 said:

We seem to be getting a little excitable over a win v St Mirren in respect of how we now see McPhee. 

There’s all different kinds of scenarios in football and are we to “wait and see” how he copes as a manager when those situations arise or try to go and get someone a bit more proven with the profile Budge has eluded to?

Its too much of a risk for me to give McPhee the job and tempt the same level of apathy in the support if things take a dip. He’ll always be associated with CL and his camp.  

Exactly. The semi final was as defensive as I have ever seen us! Embarrassing.

MacPhee would be a disaster - he's an extension of Levein. We need to clear out the deadwood. 

IMO Jack Ross is the man. He'd be a hell of a lot better than Neilson (he did ok), Cathro and Levein. Robinson, Holt, Adams, Wright etc aren't the right guys to take this club forward. We as a club have lost our reputation and are no longer feared or seen as a threat. That needs to change. The same can be said for Dundee Utd and Hibs. The last 8 - 9 years have been a rollacoaster. Some of the toughest times supporting Hearts in recent memory.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’m curious to see what he has to offer but at the same time doubt he’s the right man.

Certainly saying the things we all want to hear and desperately want to see. 

Cathro talked of being bold, playing a high line and pressing high up the pitch. However what we saw on the pitch bore no relation to that.

3 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

MacPhee would be a disaster - he's an extension of Levein. We need to clear out the deadwood. 

IMO Jack Ross is the man. He'd be a hell of a lot better than Neilson (he did ok), Cathro and Levein. Robinson, Holt, Adams, Wright etc aren't the right guys to take this club forward. We as a club have lost our reputation and are no longer feared or seen as a threat. That needs to change. The same can be said for Dundee Utd and Hibs. The last 8 - 9 years have been a rollacoaster. Some of the toughest times supporting Hearts in recent memory.

There is very little evidence that Jack Ross is the man. Unless having a budget big enough to spend £4 million on a striker and still failing to get promoted from English League One makes him the man.

Having just read two articles on the EEN with McPhee's thoughts and objections, I'm actually starting to hope he's given 3-4 games to show what he can do.

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Jack Ross will not be back at hearts due to historical happenings

Let him go

julienbrellier

I’ve been informed there’s a number if Hibs fans on this thread saying they think McPhee should get it, as if that will make a difference very sad stuff.

Don’t believe the comments you read folks. McPhee would be a disaster as most if you know. He represents a continuation of Levein. Keane or Warnock for me 

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Jack Ross will not be back at hearts due to historical happenings

Let him go

What actually happened? At the time I heard there was a disagreement with Levein and he was sacked. JamboAl however implied this wasn't the case.

4 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Cathro talked of being bold, playing a high line and pressing high up the pitch. However what we saw on the pitch bore no relation to that.

MacPhee has more experience than Cathro and he’s also more confident, unlike Cathro. I don’t think there is a comparison to be made between the two in fairness.

It still remains to be seen whether MacPhee has what it takes or whether like Hibs with Eddie May incharge, it’s more a case of players playing with freedom now both managers been punted. Folk are getting a bit over excited on the basis of one game v St Mirren. 

He needs longer to prove himself but if the club give him that time it’ll be clear they are making a dugs dinner of the process.

My current Saturday ritual is to listen to Off The Ball then switch to Hearts TV at 14:00 as the BBC does not allow me to listen to the hope & anchors on Sportsound via the Internet.

Allan Preston was signed by Joe Jordan in a swap deal for Scott Crabbe (enough of a reason to dislike both Preston + Jordan), and was swapped less than a year later by Sandy Clark for Scott Leitch.   I would suggest that his 20+ games for Hearts was the pinnacle of his career.

17 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

Having just read two articles on the EEN with McPhee's thoughts and objections, I'm actually starting to hope he's given 3-4 games to show what he can do.

I would agree with you there. 

I don't think Jack Ross would be cut out for the expectations of a big club like us with the pressure he'd be under. He worked fine at Alloa and St Mirren with little expectations. Struggled at Sunderland who are a bit like us in terms of expectation levels.

Mphee is definitely trying hard with words to endear himself to us. Last time we were flying and the players did it for Levein. This time he's benefited from Naisy being back and the bounce back effect that players get after a manager gets the boot. Jury is out on him I think

1 minute ago, julienbrellier said:

I’ve been informed there’s a number if Hibs fans on this thread saying they think McPhee should get it, as if that will make a difference very sad stuff.

Don’t believe the comments you read folks. McPhee would be a disaster as most if you know. He represents a continuation of Levein. Keane or Warnock for me 

how was the Saint Mirren game a continuation?  
don’t remember many back passes. Watching Sportscene, they even highlighted the number of players in the attacking box. I counted 5 on numerous occasions. At what point did we “park the bus”? How many subs did we put on after 80 minutes when it was too late?  Uche out wide seemed quite bizarre but he ragdolled the sole defender out there all game and was a lot more effective than the fairy on the tree Levein made of him. 
Not saying McPhee is the solution but don’t get this guilt by association so write him off concept. 
people talk of risk. Giving him a few games to show if he can consistently deliver significantly reduces the risk. I’m all for taking our time and meantime see how he gets on. Not sure rangers at Ibrox is a make or break because, with all due respect, they are a significantly better side than us. But would see if he is strong enough to go at them or surrenders before we get there. 
Think a foreign manager or someone who has only operated with significantly higher budget doesn’t represent risk? 

23 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

They had the opposite effect on me.

He's got his trumpet out and is blowing it hard. 🎺🎺🎺

26 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Just had a scour of the Sunderland forum.

Jack Ross should be in the **** no pile. If what they say in there is true and results certainly suggest it.

He gets the team 1 nil up and then sits back and defends from there on only to concede and end up getting a draw instead of a win. Sounds familiar, wonder where he learned that.

They seem to suggest that he will also be quite clever tactically and suits being the underdog in matches. That is no use to us since we should be running roughshod over most of the teams in this league.

Nothing about his time as Sunderland manager after he made a decent start and steadied the ship sounds in any way promising. Including his recruitment of players.

4 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Hagart took over in autumn 74,  last season of the old 18 team top division, when we were struggling and in danger of not finishing in the top ten. We immediately went on a great run, including a draw against Rangers, the eventual champions (ending a decade of Stein's Celtic dominance), and made the cut. A key signing was Don Murray in central defence,  who steadied the ship (for a while). 

(Edit) Hagart always came across as a thoroughly likeable guy, impressively so.

He was likeable. His fifth placed finish was pretty marginal iirc as lots of clubs were in the relegation dogfight that season.  Our first ever relegation was still a shock when it came the season after though. 

34 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

I don't think Jack Ross would be cut out for the expectations of a big club like us with the pressure he'd be under. He worked fine at Alloa and St Mirren with little expectations. Struggled at Sunderland who are a bit like us in terms of expectation levels.

Mphee is definitely trying hard with words to endear himself to us. Last time we were flying and the players did it for Levein. This time he's benefited from Naisy being back and the bounce back effect that players get after a manager gets the boot. Jury is out on him I think

Agree and have stated on other threads - Jack Ross failed in League One so would be happier if he went to Hibs. No doubt he was successful with previous clubs - Alloa & St Mirren. But I don't think he is the man for HMFC. 

41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

He was likeable. His fifth placed finish was pretty marginal iirc as lots of clubs were in the relegation dogfight that season.  Our first ever relegation was still a shock when it came the season after though. 

I know, but a small crumb of comfort after losing the Scottish Cup final. I seem to remember a few days after we lost the cup final we beat Celtic in Glasgow to secure fifth place. 

The period from 1966 to 1983 was mostly one of under-achievement. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Should we not be appointing / head hunting a proven manager with good experience,seeking the best we can afford

Austin would be learning on the job and has been part of our style of play for the last 3 seasons he doesn't have much to back himself up other than a win against the mighty St Midden and with Levein still in the background what will have changed except his new suit? 

Coburg Hearts
2 hours ago, Jambothump said:

We have players, who need a manager to get in their faces, AMcP is probably pals with most of our players. Steven Naysmith is pals with no one, just give us 110%,for your wage.

Pedant here.  It's impossible to give more than 100%

2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I know, but a small crumb of comfort after losing the Scottish Cup final. I seem to remember a few days after we lost the cup final we beat Celtic in Glasgow to secure fifth place. 

The period from 1966 to 1983 was mostly one of under-achievement. 

Think it was tynecastle

Jim brown ?

1 hour ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Should we not be appointing / head hunting a proven manager with good experience,seeking the best we can afford

Austin would be learning on the job and has been part of our style of play for the last 3 seasons he doesn't have much to back himself up other than a win against the mighty St Midden and with Levein still in the background what will have changed except his new suit? 

"Should we not be appointing / head hunting a proven manager with good experience,seeking the best we can afford"

Apparently we are doing this. I'd rather we did this than just settling for someone who is immediately available. People who are immediately available are sometimes not the best managers. 

The party line is that we are letting Mcphee look after things whilst we properly search for a manager. With Hibs looking for a manager and Motherwell possibly looking for one (if Robinson takes the NI job) then we might have to act faster I think. We are a bigger club than those two of course but we probably don't want to miss out on a good one to them. 

The cynic in me does think that if Mcphee does well, he will be given the job and the only change we will make is the Sporting Director role. I'd rather we got an experienced guy in but I'd rather we didn't panic and hire a Jack Ross or a Billy Davies ;)

If McPhee is lined up to be SD why take six to four weeks to get a manager? I was always under the impression that clubs identified who they wanted and went out and got them not hang about waiting on cv’s coming in

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Think it was tynecastle

Jim brown ?

I’m sure you’re right. Having got an absolute soaking at the cup final I was ill for a fortnight afterwards, just remember reading the Celtic match report in bed...

56 minutes ago, pointon said:

If McPhee is lined up to be SD why take six to four weeks to get a manager? I was always under the impression that clubs identified who they wanted and went out and got them not hang about waiting on cv’s coming in

If pineapples made orange juice why squeeze them?

1 hour ago, pointon said:

Even if they had somebody in mind I don’t see an issue with asking for applicants. Maybe someone better than who they had in mind has applied.

1 hour ago, pointon said:

I think it is a sensible approach. 

Imagine going for Ross when suddenly Chris Houghton and Ian Holloway drop a CV through the letterbox.

You never know who might apply so why not at least give some time for people to do so.

Michael O'Neill really interesting on MacPhee on Sportsound tonight. I know they are close but making some very good points and tucking into that despicable prick Miller. Worth a listen on the podcast.

Interesting listening to this.

Willie Miller spouting any old shite, backtracking on his previous comments.  Forgetting the fact that he went from Aberdeen manager to 'upstairs' when it didn't work out. He comes across as a real bell end and why he is employed by the BBC beggars belief.

Michael O'Neill seemed very measured in his response and came across really well. His disdain for the media and the pundits was clear to hear.

Just now, Col4444 said:

ONeill ,what a guy, ripping strips off Miller 🤩

Miller trying to say his remarks were taking out of context but still saying we are in a relegation battle.O,Neill talking up Austin,s qualities and saying he would not have had him for five years otherwise

Didn't hear O'Neill tonight and can't find the podcast so only seen his quotes on the BBC website.

Did anyone ask him the obvious question: does he want MacPhee as his assistant at Stoke?

Just now, gnasher75 said:

Didn't hear O'Neill tonight and can't find the podcast so only seen his quotes on the BBC website.

Did anyone ask him the obvious question: does he want MacPhee as his assistant at Stoke?

he was asked but didn’t answer. Personally I think he would but wanted to defend him