MacPhee

Brighton Jambo

Sorry to be negative but had Levein had been in charge today with a fit Naismith, Walker and Uche up top we still would have won.

levein must be sick seeing those players back and scoring.  

Not sure how much credit Austin can take for that.  Even Mulraney made it back and onto the scoresheet

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• GinRummy

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bauld

sounds like we actually performed today even with the defensive issues. 

that could be macphee, the return of naismith and walker, luck or a combination of them

if macphee gets more games in charge and this keeps up and we tighten the defence then fair enough. but for onw remember one swallow does not make a summer

Credit where credit's due, his changes worked. Uche ragdolled their left back all day and Dikamona was solid but unspectacular. Hopefully he can repeat the trick next time out!

3 minutes ago, neonjambo said:

NVM just read it was about Preston.

Trying to be as vocal a mouthpiece as Stewart.

With Stewart there’s usually at least an element of truth 

Preston basically ripped into the club as a whole, said our academy was rubbish and we hadn’t produced any decent players since Paterson,  saying Celtic produced Hickey not Hearts.  

1 minute ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Would rather have Dikamona with Smith. 

Maybe but the Berra, Smith partnership has looked solid. Would sooner continue with something that’s been working.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Was frenetic today. Job done,  I think the manager on the pitch deserves enormous credit. 

Free hit today for Austin. Kilmarnock away next. Different game and situation altogether 

19 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

We were at home against a very weak side.  Absolutely not getting carried away.

New coach for me.

This for me, a fully new approach with fresh faces required. 

Just now, scotty2442 said:

With Stewart there’s usually at least an element of truth 

Preston basically ripped into the club as a whole, said our academy was rubbish and we hadn’t produced any decent players since Paterson,  saying Celtic produced Hickey not Hearts.  

Ah that old nugget, wasn't Hickey at Hearts before he was at Celtic, I am sure he would have been pulled up on that.

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Sorry to be negative but had Levein had been in charge today with a fit Naismith, Walker and Uche up top we still would have won.

Not sure how much credit Austin can take for that.  Even Mulraney made it back and onto the scoresheet

How can you say that with certainty after Ross County, Hamilton and Kilmarnock at home? Total guesswork on your part.

Just now, neonjambo said:

Ah that old nugget, wasn't Hickey at Hearts before he was at Celtic, I am sure he would have been pulled up on that.

Yeah he was with Hearts first 

Stewart was actually the one talking sense in the debate, with Preston and Willie Miller talking absolute garbage about things they clearly don’t have a clue about 

4 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

If he keeps winning he keeps the job, it's that simple. 

Time will tell. 

I don't think he's the man for the job either but we can't completely rule him out just yet. 

It can’t be allowed to happen. 

4 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Come on CT, we have just pumped a team 5-2. No praise at all? Yes, we should be beating St Mirren, but recent form suggests it probably should have been closer. If you were there, you cant help but see a huge difference in the way we played. 

If a new manager had got that result today would you not have praised them?

It’s a good result but folks getting chuffed at hammering St Midden at home just shows how far our standards have fallen.

And also I’m a bit bitter because I’ve been to every home prior to the Rangers game this season, didn’t go today and we scored 5 goals :rofl:

5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Possibly, but I would suggest that when we went one up he would have sat back, thus inviting the opposition to have a go.

22 minutes ago, jumpship said:

When in charge he's won four out of five. 

If he keeps winning, how can he not be given the job? 

😂😂 heard him saying this more than once when interviewed on sport sound that and another stat about St Mirren not having not conceded more than 2 goals all season. Fair play to him can’t argue with these stats and I’m sure he will have a few more up his sleeve in the coming weeks. 

12 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’m not giving any Hearts manager a pat on the head for delivering what should be a run o’ the mill victory against shite like St.Mirren at home. 

Austin MacPhee’s not the answer. 

I agree, the big difference today was Naismith returning. Coaching staff needs a complete overhaul as well. 

26 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Wonder how big an impact Donald Park has made, he was leading the way in training up at St Andrews.

Not very much he sat in the dugout like a church mouse lol.

Just now, Jodami said:

I agree, the big difference today was Naismith returning. Coaching staff needs a complete overhaul as well. 

Yep, he’s been here for 3 and a half shit seasons. Needs punted. Hopefully Stoke offer us some money for him. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Credit where it's due! Well done Austin and the players , feels great heading home from tynecastle after a win and the team playing attacking football 

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

How can you say that with certainty after Ross County, Hamilton and Kilmarnock at home? Total guesswork on your part.

Walker and Naismith didn’t play against Hamilton or Kilmarnock as injured so actually proves my point.  Naismith also only managed 45 minutes against Ross County so maybe on that one you have a point.  

That was an entertaining game on a cold day where it could've been the opposite. Tactics were spot on, with the goals we conceded individual errors, and the team having the drive to go and score a few more to make sure we win.

What's notable is that how absent that sort of energy and forward passing has been missing. Scoring 5 goals in a single game, woah! It's been that bad, today was quite a delight.

How much of that is down to MacPhee or Naismith I don't know, but should Budge's search continue into December, I'd give MacPhee the job if he wins the next couple of games meaning beating Rangers at Ibrox. Hopefully an experienced manager is available before then, but the MacPhee/Park setup maybe has something to offer.

BRAVEHEART1874

It was all out attack today. Aye we were pish at their two goals, but levein would never had let this go on.

In  the second half we would have had been defending 3-2 for 45 mins under him  so credit to mcphee.

Yes naismith, walker, uche on the right and  even mulraney made the difference to the usual dull levein performance ;)  

Tennant's  6's
3 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

Not very much he sat in the dugout like a church mouse lol.

Fair enough haha..

He was giving it laldy in the training video..

Maybe tired himself out up in fife.. 

If this is MacPhee off the leash then maybe he is the man.

Nobody here can say he would fail as Hearts manager because he hasn't done it. Levein called the shots. MacPhee is an excellent tactician and if he can also motivate the players to do what they did today every week then he MUST be considered for the job. 

Again who can provide actual evidence he isn't good enough?

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Levein can still take credit for building this squad if we start firing again with most back from injury. But credit die to McPhee for dropping Clare, playing Uche wide right and putting two left-footers White and Hickey down the left. Made a big difference. Naismith though is the huge difference. When you have someone with his touch, all of a sudden attacking play is more fluid and everyone plays better.

How can you rule out someone with 4 out of 5 wins and the defeat to the vastly superior Rangers in Cup Semi?
I’m not there yet but can’t understand how some can rule him out so easily.
5 goals. Attacking football. Players in correct positions (except Uche where pushing him out wide opened up the middle and he actually did a job out there). Subs at the right time. Would not have put Damour for walker but ended up with Mulraney and Meshino as strong attacking subs.
You can’t choose who you play against but he certainly did a job today.

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Walker and Naismith didn’t play against Hamilton or Kilmarnock as injured so actually proves my point.  Naismith also only managed 45 minutes against Ross County so maybe on that one you have a point.  

it’s almost like you’re saying all Levein needed was Walker and Naismith back nd everything would be fine. Maybe you’re right but there’s no way of proving it just like there’s no way of proving we’d have won today with Levein in charge. 

tartofmidlothian

I hope our search is long enough that it gives him a couple more games at the wheel to see what he's got, although I think the fans will react badly to another appointment from within.

I want him to stay in some capacity, though.

PhoenixHearts

Top performance from Austin today

"AARON! AARON! AARON! W..AARAON! A...WHERE THE **** ARE YE GOING?!" 

"AAAAIDY! AAAAIDEEEHHH! GET IN! GIT INNNN"

"JAMIE, JAMIE  ****IN GO ****IN MOOOOOVE JAMIE"

28 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Would Craig have played Uche wide on the right, where he caused not a little havoc.  More clinical passing and we would have had a good few more.

22 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It can’t be allowed to happen. 

It’s a good result but folks getting chuffed at hammering St Midden at home just shows how far our standards have fallen.

And also I’m a bit bitter because I’ve been to every home prior to the Rangers game this season, didn’t go today and we scored 5 goals :rofl:

🙈 fair enough! There was a lot of head scratching when we scored the 2nd and 3rd goals, been a long time since that happened! 

14 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I hope our search is long enough that it gives him a couple more games at the wheel to see what he's got, although I think the fans will react badly to another appointment from within.

I want him to stay in some capacity, though.

I agree. He wasn't at the wheel, Levein was. Austin has the next few games to stake his claim and I think he should be allowed to. 

55 minutes ago, jumpship said:

When in charge he's won four out of five. 

If he keeps winning, how can he not be given the job? 

Tainted badly by the disasters of recent times. Culpable as well as Cathro and Levein. New broom across first team coaches please

Dusk_Till_Dawn
57 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

2nd half was great but first half was a shambles and yet more examples of trying to reinvent the wheel. Well done today for the 3 points and for keeping going when we got in front. No thanks going forward tho as the manager, we need someone else. Keep winning and scoring goals and you’ll change my mind however. 

This. Don’t even think about it FFS.

Praise definitely due to Austin today for that result. It's unthinkable that he would get the gig on a permanent basis but he changed things about and got a great result...an important result at that.

Captain Canada

MacPhee deserves a huge amount of credit for today. It's not easy to turn around a team with low morale in the space of a week. The return of Naismith and Walker helped a lot but he obviously got his message across this week. 

I still think we should hire a more experienced manager, but to go from such negative dross earlier in the season to today was a massive improvement. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

MacPhee deserves a huge amount of credit for today. It's not easy to turn around a team with low morale in the space of a week. The return of Naismith and Walker helped a lot but he obviously got his message across this week. 

I still think we should hire a more experienced manager, but to go from such negative dross earlier in the season to today was a massive improvement. 

The monkey is certainly off our back. Berra made a couple of mistakes which led to the goals, so I wonder if this is more a case of individual errors than defensive frailty ? 

Hopefully the lads can take a lot of confidence from this.

59 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Nobody here can say he would fail as Hearts manager because he hasn't done it. Levein called the shots. MacPhee is an excellent tactician and if he can also motivate the players to do what they did today every week then he MUST be considered for the job. 

There’s no such thing as a sure thing when appointing a manager but MacPhee is a gamble we can ill afford to take.

What evidence is there to suggest he is an excellent tactician? If he’s had no influence in all his time here I’d actually judge him for hanging about and accepting having no clout despite being assistant manager.

Edited by The Merse

1 minute ago, Bauld said:

Why not MacPhee?

What's the actual evidence that he could not be a successful Hearts manager?

Beating the worst team in the league at home isn’t enough for me to want him as manager. I think we need to go down a more tried and tested route this time.

What’s the evidence he could be a successful Manager?

I think everyone has agreed after the Cathro experiment the next Manager should be someone who at least has a bit of experience.  

2 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Why not MacPhee?

What's the actual evidence that he could not be a successful Hearts manager?

There’s no evidence to suggest I couldn’t be a success either. Lack of evidence against isn’t enough ffs. We need positive evidence to support his case.

Today was a minor step to support his case. Needs far more than that to be considered.

4 minutes ago, SM Sheffield said:

His contribution to the previous 3 years at the club?

He has had responsibility for 5 first team games. He was won 4 of them. 

Captain Canada

His decision to play Uche out wide was a good one. Otherwise he'd have just been wrestling with Broadfoot all afternoon.  Someone else needed to get in the box though as a few times Naismith was the only one. 

The way we bounced back from letting in two terrible equalisers was the most impressive thing. A few weeks ago, we would have crumbled at that point. 

Walter Bishop
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Did you watch the game last weekend?

He is unproven and been involved during some bad times. But the leader who called the shots is gone, and today maybe saw a glimpse of how MacPhee thinks we should've been playing like all along.

The Hearts job is a big task, and fans patience been tested too much already. I think if MacPhee got the job results would have to come in quick, he wouldn't get much time. A brand new manager and setup would get more time. However if he is still interim come Ibrox in a few weeks, and he wins there with attacking football then why not.