• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff Turn

• GinRummy

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bauld

AllyjamboDerbyshire
48 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think that’s unfair. There was a willingness to take the game to the opposition today that quite simply hasn’t been there all season. Obviously Naismith made a difference but Austin done ok today.

OK against the bottom of the league will never be OK. 

Weakened Offender

He should have been punted with Cathro. 

He should have been punted with Levein. 

He should have been punted for last week. 

He's a complete fraud. The sooner he leaves HMFC the better. 

McPhee to get the job but Naismith to be assistant player/coach to plicate the masses 😬

👀 And Brian McClair SD 

Edited by robbo1874

There’s two ways to look at today’s performance. 

1. MacPhee is a good manager/coach and has been stifled by Catho and Levein 

or

2. He’s not great and think what a good manager could do with that squad of players, if MacPhee can get a tune out of them

After the complete nonsense I witnessed last week in a cup semi final, I’m not convinced. He clearly brings something to the party but what can’t be overlooked is he’s been part of the shambles under the last two managers yet wasn’t part of the Neilson era. 

39 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We have never often scored 5 goals to be fair. Not getting carried away but it’s relatively rare. Once a season max.

That’s because we’ve been utter shite for the last 3 and a half seasons and MacPhee has been a key part of that. 

41 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You know I love a bit of context. Hibs scored 4 away today. 

Doesn't make May a genius 

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, jambo1975 said:

Let's not get carried away here. We won against a rank rotten st Mirren team. I expect nothing less from Heart of Midlothian at home. He had a chance to impress last week and chose to start with Craig Wighton. And for that I thank him for his contribution but quite happy to see him move on when  we have a new manager in place.

Exactly, one decent result against a pile of pish and some folk want him given the gig.

the reaction from the players today is exactly the kind of reaction I’d expect when a manager has just been bulleted.

where was the reaction from them last week? 

The thread was started by myself just to give him a little credit for today . No where did I mention about him getting the full time manager position. 

seems to have erupted into that though ... I would like to see him get things right over the next few games though and just stabilize us for a while ... 

I give him credit for today ... I Dismiss the rangers game completely as he was in a no win situation there anyway ... 

well done today Austin.... 

Am no getting carried away likes!

We got beat by partick 5-2 at home about 20 years ago!

Ah no that's got no relevance to today but am just saying

Seeing a lot of shots fired about last week. Think some folk need to reign their expectations in a bit if they think we’re in any state to be competing with Rangers in Glasgow. They have a striker who’s scored over 20 goals in 3 months and just beat last seasons CL quarter finalists comfortably.

1 minute ago, boag1874 said:

Seeing a lot of shots fired about last week. Think some folk need to reign their expectations in a bit if they think we’re in any state to be competing with Rangers in Glasgow. They have a striker who’s scored over 20 goals in 3 months and just beat last seasons CL quarter finalists comfortably.

Would have been nice to have even feckin turned up though!!!

thats what’s wrong with our whole club just now, soft as shite.

6 minutes ago, 1874 said:

The thread was started by myself just to give him a little credit for today . No where did I mention about him getting the full time manager position. 

seems to have erupted into that though ... I would like to see him get things right over the next few games though and just stabilize us for a while ... 

I give him credit for today ... I Dismiss the rangers game completely as he was in a no win situation there anyway ... 

well done today Austin.... 

Far too sensible and balanced a post for Kickback. It’s almost like people want us to fail so they have something to complain about on here sometimes :wallbash:

1 hour ago, jambo1975 said:

Let's not get carried away here. We won against a rank rotten st Mirren team. I expect nothing less from Heart of Midlothian at home. He had a chance to impress last week and chose to start with Craig Wighton. And for that I thank him for his contribution but quite happy to see him move on when  we have a new manager in place.

Today’s game was more important for us than the semi. The team selection against Sevco made sense when you consider Uche wasn’t a 100% fit. Same goes for Walker and Naismith.  Wighton  wasn’t even on the bench today...that speaks volumes.

AM didnt build our squad and it’s not his fault that he has had to deal with the mess CL created.  

Whilst I dont expect him to become our manager, he is a successful person. He has won the LC whilst coaching St Mirren against us. He has helped Northern Ireland exceed all expectations and he has won 4 of the 5 games he has managed for Hearts.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up a Stoke.

1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

Would have been nice to have even feckin turned up though!!!

thats what’s wrong with our whole club just now, soft as shite.

Just like today’s win, it’s one game. Its too early to tell us anything. I’d say 5 league goals for the first time since 2016 is a good reaction to get out of the players though, and its one I don’t think Levein was capable of getting out of them.

In the absence of any stand out candidate for the job, I won't be upset to see Austin given it for the rest of the season.

In the space of just over a week with the players he has changed the mentality from defensive to attacking and from nervy to confident; and he got them doing everything at a quicker pace.

If you watch Bozanic and Walker's goals you'll see something we rarely saw under Levein: five players in the box looking to get on the end of a cross from open play. That's how we should play especially against teams like St Mirren.

I've been saying we should play Naismith up front ever since I saw him play there for Scotland some months back. And playing Uche wide was a stroke of genius as he is actually more effective running at defenders than just battling with a big centre half for 90 minutes. Uche can't cross the ball but he can link up with Smith who certainly can. So both of those moves were exactly right and worked well. 

I reckon he felt Mulraney was only fit for a half so he had to start White wide left and Dikamona in defence. But the plan to bring on Mulraney for White worked well and I guess he'll start the next game. He also got Hickey back on the left where he should get a run of games.

The other subs he made looked sensible and didn't involve disrupting the whole team which is a big improvement on Levein.

For the first time in ages, Hearts looked positive, confident, hungry and determined to win and there was also a togetherness that has been lacking. And throughout the game Austin was out encouraging the team forward rather than sitting back and seeing the game out.

It was also interesting to hear his comments on Friday that some players have "trained themselves out of the squad" (Wighton I guess for one) and pre-match that Clare had to be shown "tough love" when asked about him no even being on the bench.

In short, Austin has basically done everything the fans were crying out for Levein to do.

Re the semi final, I wasn't happy with him playing MacLean and Wighton in particular. But I could see what he was trying to do. There was no way he could have foreseen the injuries to Whelan and Smith or the stupidity of MacLean which meant the game plan was ruined.

The other thing I like is that he has brought a number of top players to Hearts including Smith and Washington. It would be interesting to get a breakdown of his signings to see how they compare to Levein signings.

It may not be a popular choice and in some ways I'd love a big name but I think maybe he deserves a shot at it.

pettigrewsstylist

Woukd need to get next 3 or 4 games uder belt before thinking AM is suitable. Suspect appointment announced long before then, and it will be from outside current staff at club i reckn.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I can’t work out of the international break has come at a good time for us or not this time.

Who takes the coaching with MacPhee away - surely MacPhee would rather spend the next 10 days with us?

6 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I can’t work out of the international break has come at a good time for us or not this time.

Who takes the coaching with MacPhee away - surely MacPhee would rather spend the next 10 days with us?

Donald park

Coburg Hearts
On 09/11/2019 at 19:29, thewiseone said:

His time as interim manager should not be used as any influence on wether or not he is to get the job full-time, his credentials should be known already he's been employed at the club for the last 3 years.

To give him the job on the strength of how he performs in these games is a recipe for disaster.

Don't forget Peter Houston taking over from Levein at Dundee United lost his first game 7/1 to Rangers then as he found his feet went on to do quite well winning the cup. It's almost like the United team had to shake off Levein's influence before resetting to a new way.

Similar to last week perhaps!

Robbie Neilson had his best performance as Hearts boss the night we hammered Rangers,  this was his last game and news of him leaving prior to the game meant he could be his own man without having to think of or be influenced by Levein.

Experience is of little or no value.

It's what you learn from the experience what's important. Too many managers keep repeating the same mistakes without ever taking stock and eventually fizzle out, why? Not because the games moved on its because they haven't. In my opinion. McPhee seems willing to learn and demonstrated this over his career, he seems quite switched on.

When you can transmit a positive ethos this passes quickly and can be  a dynamic influence as others naturally follow, this idea of needing time to build etc is actually crap, if the message is clear, the man management good and the manager is able to exhibit a brave belief in himself then the right results can happen quickly, feck sake it's the Scottish League we are in.

Not saying McPhee is or isn't the answer, however the Hearts players generally bar 1/2 are good enough to be well in the mix at the top end of the table, what they need is a leader, 

who on here actually knows anything about him and his qualities. Most will opinionate on what they think not what they know.

I reckon your username is pretty apt.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 hours ago, Coburg Hearts said:

I reckon your username is pretty apt.

He makes some good points. 

His Neilson point isn’t good though.

We played a huge amount of attacking football under Neilson - to say the shackles only came off in his last game before he left is risable.

7 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

In the absence of any stand out candidate for the job, I won't be upset to see Austin given it for the rest of the season.

In the space of just over a week with the players he has changed the mentality from defensive to attacking and from nervy to confident; and he got them doing everything at a quicker pace.

If you watch Bozanic and Walker's goals you'll see something we rarely saw under Levein: five players in the box looking to get on the end of a cross from open play. That's how we should play especially against teams like St Mirren.

I've been saying we should play Naismith up front ever since I saw him play there for Scotland some months back. And playing Uche wide was a stroke of genius as he is actually more effective running at defenders than just battling with a big centre half for 90 minutes. Uche can't cross the ball but he can link up with Smith who certainly can. So both of those moves were exactly right and worked well. 

I reckon he felt Mulraney was only fit for a half so he had to start White wide left and Dikamona in defence. But the plan to bring on Mulraney for White worked well and I guess he'll start the next game. He also got Hickey back on the left where he should get a run of games.

The other subs he made looked sensible and didn't involve disrupting the whole team which is a big improvement on Levein.

For the first time in ages, Hearts looked positive, confident, hungry and determined to win and there was also a togetherness that has been lacking. And throughout the game Austin was out encouraging the team forward rather than sitting back and seeing the game out.

It was also interesting to hear his comments on Friday that some players have "trained themselves out of the squad" (Wighton I guess for one) and pre-match that Clare had to be shown "tough love" when asked about him no even being on the bench.

In short, Austin has basically done everything the fans were crying out for Levein to do.

Re the semi final, I wasn't happy with him playing MacLean and Wighton in particular. But I could see what he was trying to do. There was no way he could have foreseen the injuries to Whelan and Smith or the stupidity of MacLean which meant the game plan was ruined.

The other thing I like is that he has brought a number of top players to Hearts including Smith and Washington. It would be interesting to get a breakdown of his signings to see how they compare to Levein signings.

It may not be a popular choice and in some ways I'd love a big name but I think maybe he deserves a shot at it.

Good post. I agree 👍

7 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Very good post and difficult to disagree. The only thing I would say is it's one good game against the bottom of the league. Let's not overlook that.

We just won our first game at home in months and scored 5 goals along the way. I’m not saying he should get the job but folk should lay off him. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Nice suit but it's a No from me 

It was St Mirren, we did lose 2 poor goals

Austin has been part of this mess for a year now 

A clear out required and a proper experienced manager brought in with his own staff 

If he wants to be a head coach he should start at another club and earn his stripes not learn on the job like Cathro did 

Those people saying the Levein influenced Robbie Nielsen and then Cathro might or might not have a point. However, when he got the managers job himself, this view is now justified as he is obviously too stubborn to listen to anybody else, So it’s all leveins fault. Now that levein is gone, can someone please explain how this stubborn, arrogant control freak who won’t listen to anyone else, could possibly mean that everyone who worked under him is somehow tainted and can’t function effectively now they can think for themselves? Austin McPhee should be judged on his time in charge not by his supporting role with his previous boss. I’m sure most people who have a crap boss will probably say they would do things better and differently, but few get the chance to prove it, why can’t Austin prove it now the shackles are off. This shouting that anyone and everyone who is part of the regime must now fall on their sword is badly thought out and just plain wrong. You can’t have it both ways, either Leveins arrogant control freakery was the problem or he wasn’t such a control freak as he is supposed to have been influenced by or sought the opinions of his underlings. Judge McPhee on his merits not his association with Levein.

Like is always the case if hew goes and strings together say 5 wins on the bounce it becomes very difficult to say thanks but no thanks. I think it unlikely anyway, people on here are just relieved to get the win another team would probably have done us yet again. We really were not that great and St Mirren were pish, but still scored twice. However CL would not have got that result!

Edited by jock _turd

On 09/11/2019 at 17:09, Tennant's 6's said:

Wonder how big an impact Donald Park has made, he was leading the way in training up at St Andrews.

He is a excellent coach,never wanted to be a manager,he should be a permanent fixture with Hearts.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
36 minutes ago, Tatlock said:

Those people saying the Levein influenced Robbie Nielsen and then Cathro might or might not have a point. However, when he got the managers job himself, this view is now justified as he is obviously too stubborn to listen to anybody else, So it’s all leveins fault. Now that levein is gone, can someone please explain how this stubborn, arrogant control freak who won’t listen to anyone else, could possibly mean that everyone who worked under him is somehow tainted and can’t function effectively now they can think for themselves? Austin McPhee should be judged on his time in charge not by his supporting role with his previous boss. I’m sure most people who have a crap boss will probably say they would do things better and differently, but few get the chance to prove it, why can’t Austin prove it now the shackles are off. This shouting that anyone and everyone who is part of the regime must now fall on their sword is badly thought out and just plain wrong. You can’t have it both ways, either Leveins arrogant control freakery was the problem or he wasn’t such a control freak as he is supposed to have been influenced by or sought the opinions of his underlings. Judge McPhee on his merits not his association with Levein.

You’re saying that as if McPhee and Levein once crossed paths 15 years ago. McPhee has been an integral part of the coaching for three years. We’ve been pathetic in those three years. We’ve got an opportunity for a fresh start now and this guy needs to go with the rest.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You’re saying that as if McPhee and Levein once crossed paths 15 years ago. McPhee has been an integral part of the coaching for three years. We’ve been pathetic in those three years. We’ve got an opportunity for a fresh start now and this guy needs to go with the rest.

Why do some folk not understand this?

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Why do some folk not understand this?

Understand what? Get rid regardless, Why not give the new guys the chance to asses and vet the setup and the individuals involved, chucking the baby out with the bath water seems to be rife in football ,done simply to appease an angry fan base 

It is interesting the fact of McPhee being a coach for 3 years.

The person who is the leader is much more influential. I accept the point people are making. But Cathro then Levein made the key decisions on the training programme, team selection and how we play. As well as the whole culture of the first team. Also as a player you will listen most to the manager. 

So it is possible Austin MacPhee could be coaching for 3 years but then change things as manager. 

Interesting article on views from Mulraney. 

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/jake-mulraney-says-hearts-time-17230700

Seems the plan is much clearer to the players than it has been. Clear focus on how McPhee wants them to play and they were all understanding of it. I can't help that part of the problem has been the information to the players changing constantly and causing confusion. 

Great win which will hopefully kickstart our recovery. HHGH

Edited by Stavropol

Coburg Hearts
4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

He makes some good points. 

His Neilson point isn’t good though.

We played a huge amount of attacking football under Neilson - to say the shackles only came off in his last game before he left is risable.

I read his post again last night, and whilst I agree with a lot of it, you are right about the points you make. The motto is :- Post in haste, repent at leisure. haha 

2 hours ago, Stavropol said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/jake-mulraney-says-hearts-time-17230700

Seems the plan is much clearer to the players than it has been. Clear focus on how McPhee wants them to play and they were all understanding of it. I can't help that part of the problem has been the information to the players changing constantly and causing confusion. 

I read that and did wonder if there's a bit of a subtle dig in there, especially the bit about doing it 2 to 3 days.

As I understand it, Levein didn't take first team training at the start of the week, leaving it to MacPhee et al, then would turn up on Wednesday or Thursday for the last couple of days before the game. That can't be good for getting the message across when the man that makes the final call on tactics/team selection etc isn't there on the training ground every single day.

Perhaps this has caused mixed messages, with Levein coming in late in the week and changing things. Could explain a lot about how the players have looked so uncertain about their jobs on the pitch at times.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Stavropol said:

I wonder what the **** was going on with Levein - the one thing I thought he had was a consistent game plan. One dimensional but clear.

Its all a bit weird 

One thing I liked about the Neilson regime was the double/triple training sessions.

I never fully understood why they disappeared.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Robbie Nielson was a fine manager of hearts yet he wasn't universally accepted. This maybe due to the cup exit at the hands of Hibs after being in a winning position.

His team played some good stuff I agree and had some good results particularly in the championship season.

However Hearts missed a great opportunity in the next couple of seasons. We were riding a crest of a wave, Celtic were poor under Delia and there was no Rangers. 

Hearts style seemed to regress somewhat and appeared to adopt a win and hold on mentality although there was a smattering of larger victories. 

The football became stale the players uninspired and lacking both fight and enthusiasm, no game represented this more than the time Celtic came to town to win the league title, Hearts behaved in a totally alien way that day to rolling over, never laying a glove on them.

Signs were there that day that all wasn't well in the camp and this trend followed us since.

I remember the lead up to the Rangers game the football was dire, results okay but the night he dismantled Rangers spoke volumes, it just so happens he had secured a new job that afternoon.

It could have been all so different after coming up however the cautious approach adopted breathed fear into the legs of players and nullified a previously hostile and noisey home support to the almost apathy displayed up until 2weeks ago.

Too much of Scottish football relied on working hard. It hasn't got us very far has it?

kingantti1874

As I said on other thread, I’d we can attract someone of undeniable calibre then fair enough, but if it’s Robinson or Ross I’d rather we just give Austin a chance till the end of the season and see what he can do

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

As I said on other thread, I’d we can attract someone of undeniable calibre then fair enough, but if it’s Robinson or Ross I’d rather we just give Austin a chance till the end of the season and see what he can do

This is where I'm at. 

If he gets a win at Killie and and a performance at Ibrox it would be hard to not give him the job till the end of the season or until January break.